BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Upgrading OEM HK System to Match Plug in play

03-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
ARMY_M2C
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Upgrading OEM HK System to Match Plug in play

Hello

I just ordered Match plug in and play kit to uprade sound system from HK System.

Is it worth it?

All Speakers, Subwoofers and amp.

Facory HK Sound good not better than my f80 M3.

give me some opinions and feed back.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
There are a few posts on the boards on different ways to improve the piss poor OEM setup.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=harmon+kardon

I might eventually add the Match 7 Amp, but my build right now is all track related prep work...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

The stock system is terrible. The lack of general sound insulation doesn't help, the mid range is so weak its barely audible. Combined with harsh tweeters and imprecise base the system is what I would expect in a $20k car.

My Bavsound Stage 1 arrived today and Saturdays project is installing it!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The stock system is terrible. The lack of general sound insulation doesn't help, the mid range is so weak its barely audible. Combined with harsh tweeters and imprecise base the system is what I would expect in a $20k car.

My Bavsound Stage 1 arrived today and Saturdays project is installing it!
Let us know if it's worthwhile. I've heard mixed reviews, mostly that the plug and play aspect is nice but that the difference in sound is underwhelming.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Let us know if it's worthwhile. I've heard mixed reviews, mostly that the plug and play aspect is nice but that the difference in sound is underwhelming.
I expect it will be significantly more mellow and easy to listen to with much better separation. The stock system is very harsh and tiring over any extended length of time. It's the same crappy amp so I'm expecting tonal improvement primarily. The speakers themselves feel high quality but they wont be moving a lot of air.

The other piece of the puzzle is the very high noise floor in the M2 due to lack of sound deadening, particularly the areas next to the rear seats. Acoustically is a pretty terrible environment, I think they went way too far removing sound deadening, a lot of which didn't weigh much at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
BMW 330E M-Performance
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW i4

Army i have this in my M2 and have sold my car now , its really good

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1291217037856/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
I expect it will be significantly more mellow and easy to listen to with much better separation. The stock system is very harsh and tiring over any extended length of time. It's the same crappy amp so I'm expecting tonal improvement primarily. The speakers themselves feel high quality but they wont be moving a lot of air.

The other piece of the puzzle is the very high noise floor in the M2 due to lack of sound deadening, particularly the areas next to the rear seats. Acoustically is a pretty terrible environment, I think they went way too far removing sound deadening, a lot of which didn't weigh much at all.
There are two camps on improving the system in the M2.

One is the route I took, replace the speakers with much higher quality ones.

The other is a Amp like the Match UP 7. In all the threads each group feels that they solved their cars problem.

If you can replace all then that's great. Like a Bav Sound setup.

Unless the OEM Pre-amp is complete garbage, which its not, I firmly believe that swapping out the front speakers and disconnecting the center one makes a HUGE Difference. Then after a couple weeks I also replaced the rears. They had much less of an overall impact than the door and sail speakers. I have not replaced the under seat subs, but my days of needing low base clarity are well past me at this point :-).

This long post really helped me on my decisions:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1236238

I'm getting closer to swapping out my OEM AMP as well with a MATCH UP 7 but I'm having a hard time thinking its going to make anywhere as much of a change as the front speakers did.

YMMV,
HAZMAT

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 03-21-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I just found a 2 month old Match Up 7 Amp for $599 shipped. Once installed will add a review.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7bmw
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6617.50
      03-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
NYC Bimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm2nyc View Post
Any update?
I only got one front door done this weekend before I ran out of time. It's interesting because I can already tell they are so much less harsh than the HK system. Hopefully I can get it finished this weekend then really audition them properly, will make a full write up.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:24 AM   #11
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMY_M2C View Post
Hello

I just ordered Match plug in and play kit to uprade sound system from HK System.

Is it worth it?

All Speakers, Subwoofers and amp.

Facory HK Sound good not better than my f80 M3.

give me some opinions and feed back.
Hey I dont know if thats been discussed, but how about swapping out OEM equipment from another series with a better quality system?
      03-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
ARMY_M2C
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Hey I dont know if thats been discussed, but how about swapping out OEM equipment from another series with a better quality system?
I already swap out the fronts and amp. getting rear speakers installed tomorrow. And it will get tuned right. Will see if it sounds better.

Does anyone know make better sound from apple car play?

my radio and xm sounds good through speakers, but when I play music thru bluetooth or apple car play, some what sounds suck, I dont konw how to explain.... very low and not a bright sound at all unless I put volume all the way max...

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #13
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMY_M2C View Post
Does anyone know make better sound from apple car play?

my radio and xm sounds good through speakers, but when I play music thru bluetooth or apple car play, some what sounds suck, I dont konw how to explain.... very low and not a bright sound at all unless I put volume all the way max...
Reading some of Poochie's comments about how the Bluetooth connection affects sound quality should provide some insight

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=47

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=49
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm2nyc View Post
Any update?
Can confirm the Bavsound is a significant upgrade over the admittedly awful HK. Much smoother and less harsh top end, you can actually hear the mid range now, tighter and more vibrant lower range. It exposes the messiness of the stock under seat woofers a little, so the low end bass does not match the clarity of the mid range. Overall I'd say it brings it closer to the EPS in the e9x M3, it sounds way punchier with better separation compared to the wall of mess that was the HK. I'm very happy with it as I can actually listen to the sound system now, and overall it makes the car feel much more 'premium'.

The sound would be improved again by more sound insulation in the car to bring the ambient noise (particularly tire roar) down. Subs would clean up the low end bass although I wouldn't say this is a priority. AMP would be nice to better set the EQ and sound stage. Honestly for now though I'm happy with it and can turn my attention to upgrading other parts of the car.
Appreciate 1