BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > The M2C is all you need

04-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

The M2C is all you need

So I am a car nut. Cars are one of the only things I actually have passion for and can talk about pretty much forever.

as with lots of other car nuts, I find myself always striving and reaching for that next car that will bring me to that next level.

I've climbed the ladder for many many years, going from a 1979 automatic tercel to my personal pinnacle a 2016 Cayman S 6MT.

I recently took delivery of a M2C and I am actually loving it, even before break in.

But with covid messing up the world, and a family member getting very ill recently, I am thinking the time is now, you just never know.

The r8 v10 manual has always been on my radar, natural aspirated epic engine, low end torque, great manual, timeless looks

I've come across one at a great price and it has me thinking

this would be an addition to the M2C, the garage queen that would only see maybe 5000 km a year

I was talking to my buddy about it since he has done the 2 car thing and also reached the pinnacle of late model ferrari ownership (a 430 about 12 years ag0), he also had 2 r8 v10 manuals.

And he asked me a very wise question, he said what matters to you, is it the driving enjoyment and experience or is it more than that?

he has had various bmw's including an e46 back in the day and he pointed out that in terms of a driving experience on the street, he wondered if I would actually enjoy the r8 v10 manual more than the m2c

he noted sure the r8 has looks, presence, sound etc that the m2c does not, but would I actually enjoy driving it more in the city I live in?
the r8 is wide, poor visibility, worse clearance, it gets lots of unwanted attention (not a fan myself)

and his question has left me quite perplexed. Maybe getting the r8 doesn't actually make sense.

Anyhow, just thought I would check in here to see if any of you perhaps are in this same situation with a more expensive car and whether you think for a person who values the driving experience most, it makes sense to get a sort of supercar in addition to the M2c?

for me the m2c seems to feed my automotive passion pretty well, but then I think I've never had a car quite as epic as an r8 v10 manual and I should go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Your friend asks a good question...

I had to ask my self the same when cross shopping an E9x M3 with the OG M2. Not quite the same but the V8 S65 is a beast of an engine, and I was totally seduced.

But I came to realize that I would have a hard time enjoying it just driving around town because it would be near impossible to get it into the higher RPM range where the engine really comes alive. And so I wouldn't really get to enjoy the car the way it deserves to be enjoyed.

Enter the M2...so much fun in all driving circumstances for me. Less power, not a NA engine like the M3, more plastic bits inside...it was all I needed

Good luck to you!
Appreciate 2
baege1334.00
      04-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I've currently been wrestling with the desire to get an Aston Martin DB11 AMR. It's normally after a few drinks. I've even earmarked the one I want. It is stunning. Pro is that it's a life long dream to own an Aston Martin especially before going grey, and it looks and sounds simply incredible. Con. The M2 is probably a better drive day to day and the attention with the DB11 AMR would be just too much. Solution. M2cs. It's the final form of the most wonderful all 'round most best at everything car I've owned. I've settled into this now. I will still probably cry when I trade my M2C in though.
Appreciate 3
baege1334.00
cncmastr1587.00
RyeM23.00
      04-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I love supercars, i love how they look, i love how powerful they are and I love how they'll get down on a racetrack like nothing else.

But I don't want the anxieties that would come with supercar ownership. The attention, the maintenance, the lack of visibility, the increased danger and the knowledge that i had a ton of money wrapped up in something that doesn't even pretend to serve as a dual-purpose vehicle.

But that's me, i'm prone to anxiety about that kind of crap. I'm happy other people aren't, so i can enjoy their rolling works of art at cars and coffee, nab rides and generally fantasize about the good parts of supercar ownership.

I honestly think it all comes down to how much anxiety you feel about owning something that expensive that's just a toy. At the same time, there's no law saying you can't sell the car after six months if it turns out you don't like it. If you feel like you're on the cusp and can afford to piss away a few thousand dollars on a failed experiment after a half a year or a year or whatever, you might as well go for it. You only live once after all.
Appreciate 7
baege1334.00
Kankles1484.50
Poochie9104.50
Bingham276.00
      04-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

30 years of 911 ownership: I have also owned a Ferrari and other flashy sports cars and ownership is still the same.

I traded a modern 911C4S for my M2C. I do have a classic air-cooled 911 but that is a antique in performance and handling compared to the M2C. To be honest there is a bit of baggage with flashy euro sports cars that isnt always great. When you own one you will find out most other motorist hate your guts just for looking ostentatious. When I was younger it was kinda funny but grew old quickly. You can be the nicest guy on the road but to many you are the a**hole in the Porsche. It is what it is. Know this going in.
I have found the M2C gets rockstar attention by the motorist that know what it is without the negative P-Car image. At gas stations the younger guys always comment and gush over it. The 911 tended to make people more standoffish.
Appreciate 4
baege1334.00
pizza240799.00
      04-27-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
30 years of 911 ownership: I have also owned a Ferrari and other flashy sports cars and ownership is still the same.

I traded a modern 911C4S for my M2C. I do have a classic air-cooled 911 but that is a antique in performance and handling compared to the M2C. To be honest there is a bit of baggage with flashy euro sports cars that isnt always great. When you own one you will find out most other motorist hate your guts just for looking ostentatious. When I was younger it was kinda funny but grew old quickly. You can be the nicest guy on the road but to many you are the a**hole in the Porsche. It is what it is. Know this going in.
I have found the M2C gets rockstar attention by the motorist that know what it is without the negative P-Car image. At gas stations the younger guys always comment and gush over it. The 911 tended to make people more standoffish.
I know exactyly what you mean about p-cars. I had a 2016 Cayman S and rarely got any positive interactions, I had a 2015 Corvette very briefly and got many more positive interactions with that. The p-cars and probably the r8 are regarded as snob cars, even though so of us really only are interested in them for their drives.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
I know exactyly what you mean about p-cars. I had a 2016 Cayman S and rarely got any positive interactions, I had a 2015 Corvette very briefly and got many more positive interactions with that. The p-cars and probably the r8 are regarded as snob cars, even though so of us really only are interested in them for their drives.
You should buy what you want, and not care what others think. You have an itch you need to scratch with an R8, and you shouldn't compromise on that. Otherwise you'll be thinking about dumping that other car in a few months.
Appreciate 5
flybigjet6817.50
baege1334.00
MMMBRAP975.50
      04-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

I feel like I could discuss this for hours with you baege. Being a car guy since long before I could even drive. I too have worked my way up the car ranks (maybe not as well as some) and have owned a few key cars along the way. I have always wanted to own a Porsche 911, honestly never thought I would be able to afford one. And though I could barely squeeze it out today, I still was not comfortable enough to drop that kind of change on a car, yet! I was seriously looking at the 2020 Cayman S 6MT as my option into the world of Porsche, but after a long thought process I narrowed it down to the RS3 and M2C. Why, because daily drivability was the major factor for me. The M2C won due to the ability to be a daily, availability of a MT, playablility of the car and the pure driving experience. I love the look of the Cayman S, but I just couldn't give up rear seats and cup holders...yes, I said cup holders, I mean come on it was going to be my daily driver!
So after all that rambling (frig'in car guys) I guess what I am trying to say is...It's your world, do what makes you happy. Only you truly know if this is the right move for you at this time in your life.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 6
baege1334.00
MMMBRAP975.50
MikeD943.00
ROASTM163.50
      04-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
You should buy what you want, and not care what others think. You have an itch you need to scratch with an R8, and you shouldn't compromise on that. Otherwise you'll be thinking about dumping that other car in a few months.
oh I hear ya, I am not letting that influence my decision just noting that I have experienced the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
oh I hear ya, I am not letting that influence my decision just noting that I have experienced the same thing.
I may have missed that. Were you referring to the "wide, poor visibility, worse clearance, it gets lots of unwanted attention" parts? Well, these are common in most supercars and hence people put very few miles on them. Since this will be your fun car, I wouldn't let those issues bother you. I have friends who have McLarens, Lambos etc and drive them once a month (maybe), and dont worry about these types of issues because they are not daily drivers.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #11
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
I've been a car guy my whole life as well. Like you, I have entertained various exotic machinery over the years, often a GT3 (997 or MT 991), and yes, the MT V10 R8 as well. I have gone as far as to test drive some of these. So why haven't I pulled the trigger? For me, it comes down to self reflection on what I enjoy.

1. I really enjoy Q-cars. I dislike attention (both positive and negative). The best car for me is a performance car that most people have no idea about, but that enthusiasts respect. The M2C is pretty good in this regard. My favorite Q-car is still my E39 M5. When I first bought it in 2004, I thought it was so cool that I was driving (at that time) one of the most powerful supersedans made, and to 99% of people it was another gray BMW. But enthusiasts gave it thumbs up on a routine basis. One reason I don't drive my Z4M coupe around town much is that modest though it is, it gets too much attention (most people don't know what it is).

2. No matter my intentions, I have come to the conclusion that, at least at this point in my life, almost all my drives will be in the city in the context of daily life. Maybe later in life I'll be one of those guys who makes time for a day long blast along the roads of southern Arizona, but not now. And I realize that my "fantasy" cars are wasted as a DD.

3. I would have to give up at least one of my other Ms due to garage space limitations (3 bays) or 2 other Ms depending on how expensive said fantasy car is...They are like family to me - I just can't give up the ZM4 coupe or the E39 M5.

4. I can barely keep the three cars I have in a reasonable driving rotation, especially since weekend chores often require the use of our SUV.

So, I'll keep discussing all sorts of cars with guys like those on this forum, and keep my current stable for now.

But as a car guy shooting the breeze with another car guy...hell, yes, get a MT V10 R8! And let a few of your car guy buddies drive it once in a while.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 4
baege1334.00
W///7489.50
      04-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

My man, cant believe this is even a question?

M2C is a great car but it doesn't really compare to a manual V10 R8 as a sports car. The R8 will be orders of magnitude more exciting, the sound alone is heavenly. The M2C is a jack of all trades, it's not a dedicated sports car platform let alone a super car. I have my M2C because I can only park one car, and it needs to do everything. Apart from the sound the lack of sound deadening (which I'm rectifying) the M2C does everything very well. The R8 does some things exceptionally well, anyone who knows about cars and see's a manual V10 R8 is going to know its enthusiast owned. You wont lose money on the R8 as prices are only going one way for the manual cars.

If you can afford it and that's what you want I think the question is really why wouldn't you..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #13
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

I'd do V10 R8 all day long, lol.

BUT, as a lot of other posters have stated, it's really just about what YOU like and what YOU want. No one else's opinion should matter.

Go with what the heart wants.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #14
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
So I am a car nut. Cars are one of the only things I actually have passion for and can talk about pretty much forever.

as with lots of other car nuts, I find myself always striving and reaching for that next car that will bring me to that next level.

I've climbed the ladder for many many years, going from a 1979 automatic tercel to my personal pinnacle a 2016 Cayman S 6MT.

I recently took delivery of a M2C and I am actually loving it, even before break in.

But with covid messing up the world, and a family member getting very ill recently, I am thinking the time is now, you just never know.

The r8 v10 manual has always been on my radar, natural aspirated epic engine, low end torque, great manual, timeless looks

I've come across one at a great price and it has me thinking

this would be an addition to the M2C, the garage queen that would only see maybe 5000 km a year

I was talking to my buddy about it since he has done the 2 car thing and also reached the pinnacle of late model ferrari ownership (a 430 about 12 years ag0), he also had 2 r8 v10 manuals.

And he asked me a very wise question, he said what matters to you, is it the driving enjoyment and experience or is it more than that?

he has had various bmw's including an e46 back in the day and he pointed out that in terms of a driving experience on the street, he wondered if I would actually enjoy the r8 v10 manual more than the m2c

he noted sure the r8 has looks, presence, sound etc that the m2c does not, but would I actually enjoy driving it more in the city I live in?
the r8 is wide, poor visibility, worse clearance, it gets lots of unwanted attention (not a fan myself)

and his question has left me quite perplexed. Maybe getting the r8 doesn't actually make sense.

Anyhow, just thought I would check in here to see if any of you perhaps are in this same situation with a more expensive car and whether you think for a person who values the driving experience most, it makes sense to get a sort of supercar in addition to the M2c?

for me the m2c seems to feed my automotive passion pretty well, but then I think I've never had a car quite as epic as an r8 v10 manual and I should go for it.
I can wade in, here. I, too, have been a car fanatic from the time I was four years old. I can remember my Dad putting me to bed when I was nine years old, and I asked him, VERY seriously - "Dad, if I do become a doctor and work really hard, will I be able to afford a Lamborgnee" (I literally pronounced it like that, haha). This is a copy and paste from a previous post that I had put up on Bimmerpost, in answer to a simiar question.

Don't get me wrong. I love driving the Huracán, too. It's crazy fast, looks electrifying, and every time I get in it, it's an event unto itself.

"Like, maybe it only feels good to drive at 9/10ths and above?" - it's actually the OTHER way 'round - you CAN explore the limits of the M2 much more easily than the Huracán. I am a passable driver - if I top any sheets on track days, it's more because I have the fastest CAR, not because I'm waiting to step into Lewis Hamilton's shoes next F1 season, LOL.

The Huracán is fantastic if you like attention. ALL THE TIME. I don't, at any time (that's why I bought a black one.... so I would blend in..... ). Filling up with gas takes a minimum of 30 minutes, because someone will approach, and we'll end up talking cars. I enjoy this most of the time, but sometimes people can get a little forward - asking to sit in it, asking if they can rev it up... asking for a ride... asking "how much", "how fast", "how much do you make"....
In the M2 (and previous M cars), I am relatively incognito. I know myself I am in something special, and it's like I am a ninja, haha - the majority of people don't know what I'm driving, and so they don't understand why I have this big shit-eating grin on my face. There is a great satisfaction in that, for me!

Driving? They are completely different experiences. On a trip to Wyoming this past summer, our car group hit some back roads, in the mountains (this was in the Lambo). We POUNDED around for three days, basically using the (mostly deserted) roads as time attack courses. It was intense, but the level achievable in the Lambo is so high, you had to concentrate HARD, ALL the time. It was fast, but the reward was less. The steering is really, really numb. Basically NO feedback (not that the M2 is anything to write home about, but it is miles better). Downshifts are just a click away. Conversely, driving the M2 can be rewarding every single time I get behind the wheel. Turn off DSC. Match revs while braking hard coming to a stop sign. Grins. Come out of a corner and break into a very controllable slide, steering with the back tires, using the throttle. More grins. I can't do that, much of the time, in the Lambo, with its AWD, and numb steering. I can get so much closer to 10/10ths in the M2, than I could ever hope to get to, in the Lambo, and doing so just feels so much more comfortable, and natural.

The visibility in the Lambo is atrocious - shoulder checking is puckerific, parallel parking involves the planets aligning and small animal sacrifices in order to succeed. The whole time I'm driving the Lambo, I am on the lookout for dips in the road that will compress the front suspension, and ground my front lip. In the M2, I just get in, and enjoy. Toss it around, reverse and parallel park it without a second thought, and I don't have to worry about people driving dangerously close to me, just to take a pic, or get a better look.

When I'm in the M2, it's like I'm wearing a glove. It just....fits. In the Lambo, it's a blast, but it seems more.... contrived. In the M2, it's like you're in a tuxedo, but underneath it all, you're wearing your Winnie the Pooh onesie, so it's all good . In the Lambo, you're in a Kiton tuxedo, which is cool, but someone starched your silk shorts, so something just isn't.... perfect.

The M2 is like going out with the girl next door, that's super pretty - in shape, and can make and dress herself up just right, while being SO, JUST into you. The Lambo is like going out with a supermodel that is just a LITTLE bit needy - it's generally an amazing experience, but it demands an input that doesn't necessarily return your efforts proportionally.

Clear as mud? Sorry, it's the best I can do, hahaha. I love both cars, I really do. But faced with an afternoon of carving corners, I'd rather get out at the end of the day grinning like a baboon in heat, by driving the M2, rather than feeling exhausted driving the Huracan - happy, but exhausted.

At the end of the day, an R8 V10 will not necessarily give you more grins - it is fundamentally a Lambo underneath, which is what I have, albeit slightly diluted. You sound like a driver. Truth be told, you may just be happier with the M2. For pure driving experience and involvement, I would take the M2C over an R8 any day. The R8s that I have driven are great cars, but they aren't razor sharp, either - there is a paucity of involvement that always made me think that they made it just that LITTLE bit cushier, for those that find the Huracan too harsh.

Best of luck with your decision! Best thing is, you can't lose, either way!

Last edited by TTBear; 04-27-2020 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 7
      04-28-2020, 01:40 AM   #15
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

I'm debating between purchasing a M2 competition and a camaro ZL1.

Everything seems to be pointing towards the camaro, price is exact same since the camaro has much bigger discounts. But the camaro has 650 hp/650 torque and lap times that beat super cars, did a 7:16 on the nurburg ring. Tell me some reasons why one would pick an M2 comp over the Camaro ZL1? This is a muscle car that only has power, but handles amazing.

Actually i'm going to start a separate thread for this. May be off topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 02:20 AM   #16
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
I'm debating between purchasing a M2 competition and a camaro ZL1.

Everything seems to be pointing towards the camaro, price is exact same since the camaro has much bigger discounts. But the camaro has 650 hp/650 torque and lap times that beat super cars, did a 7:16 on the nurburg ring. Tell me some reasons why one would pick an M2 comp over the Camaro ZL1? This is a muscle car that only has power, but handles amazing.

Actually i'm going to start a separate thread for this. May be off topic.
Because they want the M2. It's that easy.

Get what YOU like and not what the inter webs say you should like. If you do the latter, it will be way more expensive at the end of the day.

Former 6th Gen Camaro SS and F80 M3 owner who is now an M2C owner here.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 06:43 AM   #17
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I may have missed that. Were you referring to the "wide, poor visibility, worse clearance, it gets lots of unwanted attention" parts? Well, these are common in most supercars and hence people put very few miles on them. Since this will be your fun car, I wouldn't let those issues bother you. I have friends who have McLarens, Lambos etc and drive them once a month (maybe), and dont worry about these types of issues because they are not daily drivers.
yes I was referring to the kinds of issues that TTbear points out in his post
i.e. that a supercar comes with hassles that more ordinary cars don't
and so yes I get all googly eyed and excited when I SEE an r8 drive by, and it LOOKS exciting and fun but in terms of actually enjoying the drive (which is what I am all about) will an r8 v10 manual actually be more enjoyable as a road car in a city?
no point in getting an r8 v10 manual if in the end, I find I actually enjoy driving the m2c more
I was hoping people in here might be able to chime in about their experiences in having a pretty darn cool car like the m2 but then something also that resembles the posters in their bedrooms as kids (and I am referring to cars )
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #18
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I've been a car guy my whole life as well. Like you, I have entertained various exotic machinery over the years, often a GT3 (997 or MT 991), and yes, the MT V10 R8 as well. I have gone as far as to test drive some of these. So why haven't I pulled the trigger? For me, it comes down to self reflection on what I enjoy.

1. I really enjoy Q-cars. I dislike attention (both positive and negative). The best car for me is a performance car that most people have no idea about, but that enthusiasts respect. The M2C is pretty good in this regard. My favorite Q-car is still my E39 M5. When I first bought it in 2004, I thought it was so cool that I was driving (at that time) one of the most powerful supersedans made, and to 99% of people it was another gray BMW. But enthusiasts gave it thumbs up on a routine basis. One reason I don't drive my Z4M coupe around town much is that modest though it is, it gets too much attention (most people don't know what it is).

2. No matter my intentions, I have come to the conclusion that, at least at this point in my life, almost all my drives will be in the city in the context of daily life. Maybe later in life I'll be one of those guys who makes time for a day long blast along the roads of southern Arizona, but not now. And I realize that my "fantasy" cars are wasted as a DD.

3. I would have to give up at least one of my other Ms due to garage space limitations (3 bays) or 2 other Ms depending on how expensive said fantasy car is...They are like family to me - I just can't give up the ZM4 coupe or the E39 M5.

4. I can barely keep the three cars I have in a reasonable driving rotation, especially since weekend chores often require the use of our SUV.

So, I'll keep discussing all sorts of cars with guys like those on this forum, and keep my current stable for now.

But as a car guy shooting the breeze with another car guy...hell, yes, get a MT V10 R8! And let a few of your car guy buddies drive it once in a while.
yeah I lot of what you say resonates with me (which makes sense since I am a former e86 guy and now a m2c guy!)
I am not huge on attention and the r8 definitely gets that which I discovered a on short test drive
I also live in a big city and the opportunities to drive the r8 in a way that allows me to really enjoy it will be pretty limited
and the thing is the m2c does a pretty darn good job of bringing smiles per mile...it's just part of me wants to just scratch that supercar itch and yes I could sell it if it doesn't work out, but I would likely lose 10000 bucks (taxes in canada are crazy)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:00 AM   #19
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
My man, cant believe this is even a question?

M2C is a great car but it doesn't really compare to a manual V10 R8 as a sports car. The R8 will be orders of magnitude more exciting, the sound alone is heavenly. The M2C is a jack of all trades, it's not a dedicated sports car platform let alone a super car. I have my M2C because I can only park one car, and it needs to do everything. Apart from the sound the lack of sound deadening (which I'm rectifying) the M2C does everything very well. The R8 does some things exceptionally well, anyone who knows about cars and see's a manual V10 R8 is going to know its enthusiast owned. You wont lose money on the R8 as prices are only going one way for the manual cars.

If you can afford it and that's what you want I think the question is really why wouldn't you..

yeah so I've driven 2 r8 v10 manuals, the first was in a suburban environment with big wide open roads and no crazy cyclists and pedestrians and I was blown away by the car, the second one was in my neighbourhood in the city and the lack of visibility, the clearance and the behaviour of other motorists (you think it's bad in a bmw, try an r8) took away from it all.

so I am not sure it's a guarantee that if I will enjoy driving the r8 in the city more than the m2c
I mean I could buy it as a fun experiment but I would likely lose about 10k in taxes when I went to sell it (and it's not easy to sell a car at that price level) I imagine
I realize it's all very subjective but I hoped maybe to hear from people with an awesome driver's car like the m2 and something more exotic and special that they rarely drive and whether that equation is working out for them
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #20
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I can wade in, here. I, too, have been a car fanatic from the time I was four years old. I can remember my Dad putting me to bed when I was nine years old, and I asked him, VERY seriously - "Dad, if I do become a doctor and work really hard, will I be able to afford a Lamborgnee" (I literally pronounced it like that, haha). This is a copy and paste from a previous post that I had put up on Bimmerpost, in answer to a simiar question.

At the end of the day, an R8 V10 will not necessarily give you more grins - it is fundamentally a Lambo underneath, which is what I have, albeit slightly diluted. You sound like a driver. Truth be told, you may just be happier with the M2. For pure driving experience and involvement, I would take the M2C over an R8 any day. The R8s that I have driven are great cars, but they aren't razor sharp, either - there is a paucity of involvement that always made me think that they made it just that LITTLE bit cushier, for those that find the Huracan too harsh.

Best of luck with your decision! Best thing is, you can't lose, either way!
awesome spot on post!
I do wonder if I got it whether I would look forward to driving the m2c or the r8 v10 6mt more, the m2c is so good that it make the question a legitimate one (at least as a road car in a big city)
no point in getting the r8 if in the end I would pick the keys to the m2c every time
my buddy who had the f430 also had a 911 carrera at the time and he said he would choose the carrera for pleasure drives at the time
Appreciate 1
TTBear414.50
      04-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #21
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I think the thing about attention is spot on. While ive never owned a super car, my previous project car garnered similar attention.

I had a totally tracked out BRZ. It was also my daily driver. Now i'm sure you can imagine what its like driving around a loud rumbly 2-door sports car with a big wing, CF hood and all this aero and whatnot. A lot of people stopped and stared, but usually more with annoyance than with awe. I'd get some people talking to me at gas stations wondering what kind of car it was (it had only been out for 2 years at this point).

The worst though was the cop attention. Luckily i was still CARB legal as i had chosen all my mods carefully so i never got a state ref, but i got pulled over in that car more times than i can count.

Now my track specced S2k sits in the garage and only gets taken out on weekends and for track days, and the rest of te time i'm driving in my black M2C. I get a LOT less attention and i havnt been pulled over at all. Its just nice. So sure while the attention i got wasnt super car attention, i cant imagine it would be any better if it was.
Appreciate 1
baege1334.00
      04-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #22
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Another thing to mention is the M community or at least what I have seen on the M2 forum. Sure people get heated at times, but for the most part, people are a lot more helpful and down to earth.

I spent some time on Rennlist and boy it was a different environment to say the least. Maybe it was the thread, but if you didn't agree or brought up a different opinion, it was no holds bar!

But that is not to say Porsche's are not great, some of the people who drives them take it too seriously
///AVM2529.50