BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > AIM Solo 2 DL causing battery discharge warning (CANbus)

01-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
AIM Solo 2 DL causing battery discharge warning (CANbus)

I noticed this a while back when I installed my Solo 2 DL, figured I'd ask around and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Long story short, I installed an AIM Solo 2 DL unit in my car, which is hardwired to the canbus, and power is hardwired to a switched power source in the trunk.

Whenever I shut my car off, the Solo will turn off shortly after since it's on a switched power source. However, when I start my car back up, I get a warning about battery discharge while stopped.

It's worth noting that this same error came up even when I ran the solo 2 off its internal battery power, and not wired up to the car.

It's almost like it's drawing power from the canbus and the car doesn't like it.

The only solution I've found is to disconnect the cable from my solo when I end a track session.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know there's only a few people here who are running the solo DL with a direct canbus connection, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:37 AM   #2
jonteman
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 racecar,X6 F16,116d F21

I have the same setup and the same issue. I think the problem is the Solo2DL keep the CAN awake and thereby keep some of the car electronics awake longer than it should and causing battery warning.
I have tried many different settings in SOLO2DL such as "silent CAN" and "listen only" but no other solution than hard disconnect.

It is also annoying that when in Performance mode SOLO2DL shut down after set time although car is till running. It should shut down X min after car is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonteman View Post
I have the same setup and the same issue. I think the problem is the Solo2DL keep the CAN awake and thereby keep some of the car electronics awake longer than it should and causing battery warning.
I have tried many different settings in SOLO2DL such as "silent CAN" and "listen only" but no other solution than hard disconnect.

It is also annoying that when in Performance mode SOLO2DL shut down after set time although car is till running. It should shut down X min after car is turned off.
Thanks for the reply. Glad I'm not the only one whose seen this.

Have you noticed any adverse affects other than the warning?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I noticed this a while back when I installed my Solo 2 DL, figured I'd ask around and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Long story short, I installed an AIM Solo 2 DL unit in my car, which is hardwired to the canbus, and power is hardwired to a switched power source in the trunk.

Whenever I shut my car off, the Solo will turn off shortly after since it's on a switched power source. However, when I start my car back up, I get a warning about battery discharge while stopped.

It's worth noting that this same error came up even when I ran the solo 2 off its internal battery power, and not wired up to the car.

It's almost like it's drawing power from the canbus and the car doesn't like it.

The only solution I've found is to disconnect the cable from my solo when I end a track session.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know there's only a few people here who are running the solo DL with a direct canbus connection, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.
Sounds like it's pinging and not letting the modules fully go to sleep. Where are you tapping into CAN?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Sounds like it's pinging and not letting the modules fully go to sleep. Where are you tapping into CAN?
The wires leading into the FEM. (passenger foot well, right hand side)

Don't remember what color they were. Yellow and yellow/black I think?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

Should be Red & Blue/Red. PIN47 & PIN48 in CON3 of the diagram below:

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Should be Red & Red/Blue.
Ya, thats correct. (I did the install months ago, those were the wires I tapped)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Should be Red & Blue/Red. PIN47 & PIN48 in CON3 of the diagram below:

I should clarify, everything works. I just get a battery warning.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
It's likely the SOLO2 keeping CAN alive, it should be cutting the device when power is switched off.

I would recommend contacting AIM to notify them of the issue, or possibly look into a 12V 2 channel relay to cut the CAN lines when ignition is off in the meantime if you want to leave the SOLO in the car. There's a ton of them on eBay that are relatively inexpensive.

Appreciate 1
ebisu81070.50
      01-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It's likely the SOLO2 keeping CAN alive, it should be cutting the device when power is switched off.

I would recommend contacting AIM to notify them of the issue, or possibly look into a 12V 2 channel relay to cut the CAN lines when ignition is off in the meantime if you want to leave the SOLO in the car. There's a ton of them on eBay that are relatively inexpensive.
This was my plan anyways. It's not permanently installed, but I have a 4 pin connector wired up so I can just plug and play when I go to the track. I can connect a 12v relay behind that to kill the canbus when the 12v signal is lost.
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8056.00
      02-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the tip on the relay. I put together a little project box today to handle the job. Consists of a 2 channel relay, a small power distribution block, and a couple 4 pin aviation jack's and plugs.

Power and ground come in from the car (power is switched with ignition) and go into pins 1 and 2 on the plug. The power and ground are routed to the distribution block, where they are passed to the other plugs pin 1 and 2, and also to both trigger channels on the relay.

CAN high and low come from the car to pin 3 and 4 on the plug, they are routed directly to the relay, each on their own channel. The other wire coming off each channel of the relay is routed to the other plug.

When the car provides power to the unit, it will both power the AIM unit, and provide a power trigger to the relay, effectively allowing the CAN high and low to complete their circuit to the AIM unit. When power disconnects, the CAN high and low circuits are disconnected.

Relay is a bit noisy (substantial click when powered up), but it works! At least on my bench with a multimeter. Will get the car side wired up soon to do some full testing.

Just need to wire the aviation plug in my car (already connected one to the aim unit) and it should be good to go.
Attached Images

Last edited by detroitm2; 02-11-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8056.00
      02-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #12
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the relay. I put together a little project box today to handle the job. Consists of a 2 channel relay, a small power distribution block, and a couple 4 pin aviation jack's and plugs.

Power and ground come in from the car (power is switched with ignition) and go into pins 1 and 2 on the plug. The power and ground are routed to the distribution block, where they are passed to the other plugs pin 1 and 2, and also to both trigger channels on the relay.

CAN high and low come from the car to pin 3 and 4 on the plug, they are routed directly to the relay, each on their own channel. The other wire coming off each channel of the relay is routed to the other plug.

When the car provides power to the unit, it will both power the AIM unit, and provide a power trigger to the relay, effectively allowing the CAN high and low to complete their circuit to the AIM unit. When power disconnects, the CAN high and low circuits are disconnected.

Relay is a bit noisy (substantial click when powered up), but it works! At least on my bench with a multimeter. Will get the car side wired up soon to do some full testing.

Just need to wire the aviation plug in my car (already connected one to the aim unit) and it should be good to go.
Very nice! Looking forward to results.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
@jonteman poking you for the solution I put together above. Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #14
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Looking into getting a Solo and I'm curious if CAN is worth the extra hassle over OBD (or if it's easy enough to go from one to the other in the future if I pick the other one).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:44 PM   #15
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
Looking into getting a Solo and I'm curious if CAN is worth the extra hassle over OBD (or if it's easy enough to go from one to the other in the future if I pick the other one).
Take a look at the ECU integration guide. Section 3.1 shows channels available via OBD and section 3.2 shows channels available via canbus.

https://aim-sportline.com/download/e...cu_103_eng.pdf

As far as switching between the 2, you just need a different cable that can be ordered from aim or a few other places. If I recall, the cable is about 50 bucks.
Appreciate 1
asciimike158.50