BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 LCI (Black Shadow) Launch Control problem

02-07-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
japesinjapan
Rep
Drives: M2 Black Shadow, Levorg STI

Thumbs down M2 LCI (Black Shadow) Launch Control problem

Hey all, hoping for some help figuring out the problem. It is super strange, so I'll be detailed. Pardon the length.

First, it is a 2018 LCI DCT Japanese car. I'm able to get the car into launch control mode, the flag appears in the dash. But when I let off the brake things get weird. I've also made sure my foot is pinned 100000% to the firewall.

The 2 main sensations are the revs modulating in the same way as if I was doing a burnout. There's that and hesitation/traction control noises going off in the rear end. The car however, does not move. (I've done this with the revs set at low at 2000rpm as well). There is some motion in the rear of the car, like it is fighting itself, but no forward motion.

The last time I tried, because of the whole "I'm doing a burnout" sensation, I checked behind me for smoke. None. Afterwards, I checked the tires and they were not scuffed. Because I wasn't moving, I gave up, and got off the gas. I wanted to start moving forward to return home, so I pressed the gas and though the car read that it was in gear, it acted like it was in Neutral for about 5-6 seconds. Eventually, it got into gear with a thunk and I was able to pull away.

This is my first sports car that isn't manual, as well as my first car with LC. I called the salesman at BMW, and though I can bring it in next week, the poor (young) guy didn't even know what launch control was, so it is hard to explain. Any direction would be extremely helpful, as I also have to contend with the language barrier.

My feeling is that the clutch is spinning, and the traction control doesn't know how to deal with the strange power delivery from it. However, I don't know shit. Halp.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
cactusjack
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saturn Outlook

This may be a dumb question but are you sure tc is fully off? ( Hold dsc for 5-7 seconds) Other than that, maybe its a transmission error; take it to service
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
japesinjapan
Rep
Drives: M2 Black Shadow, Levorg STI

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is fully off, confirmed by the flag showing before the launch.

The car only has 4500 KMS on it. It is practically new...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
This may be a dumb question but are you sure tc is fully off? ( Hold dsc for 5-7 seconds) Other than that, maybe its a transmission error; take it to service
It wouldn't signal launch control on the dash if TC wasn't off, would it?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
cactusjack
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saturn Outlook

You are welcome. Maybe make sure youre in manual mode and place the car in first, make sure the auto isnt trying to shift while spinning
Appreciate 0