BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

12-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #397
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Thanks, I like their presentation of data.

Think any lag will be a problem with the do88?

In theory will all pipe upgrades be compatible with all intercoolers that are designed for stock mounting/oem replacement?

Or are there compatibility issues to be aware of?

So could I run forge pipes with a do88 FMIC or a CSF intercooler with FTP pipes etc?
I hate when people just bring up random brands, and just act like ‘Blank is names brand, it has to be good’

There was a thread where someone had the full do88 coolers - oil and intercooler. They still got the engine too hot, and the car started to pull power.

FTP hot and cold line pipes aren’t better than the stock parts, when is the last time anyone mentioned they failed?

The FTP inlet is the same size as stock, a true upgrade and power adder.

Just assuming because it’s a X brand doesn’t guarantee anything is actually good
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #398
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I hate when people just bring up random brands, and just act like ‘Blank is names brand, it has to be good’

There was a thread where someone had the full do88 coolers - oil and intercooler. They still got the engine too hot, and the car started to pull power.

FTP hot and cold line pipes aren’t better than the stock parts, when is the last time anyone mentioned they failed?

Just assuming because it’s a X brand doesn’t guarantee anything is actually good
Get a grip buddy
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #399
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Thanks, I like their presentation of data.

Think any lag will be a problem with the do88?

In theory will all pipe upgrades be compatible with all intercoolers that are designed for stock mounting/oem replacement?

Or are there compatibility issues to be aware of?

So could I run forge pipes with a do88 FMIC or a CSF intercooler with FTP pipes etc?
I have fitted the do88 now and have a forge cp that fitted to it without issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #400
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Get a grip buddy
The FTP pipes are a waste, a Pure inlet is a real
Upgrade.

One person who did the whole Do88 still had cooling issues.

Neither one of these statements are false, and I’m trying to help make a more informed decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:36 AM   #401
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post

do88 aren't a random brand - they have been established in Europe for some time, but have only more recently turned their attention to the BMW marque.

The quality of the intercooler they sent to me was really excellent.

Not sure if it is the same person you are referring to, but there was a guy that had higher coolant temps after fitting do88 parts, but that was later confirmed to be a bleeding issue - once re-bled, temps were good (in track conditions):
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=333

Agree that the FTP inlet probably isn't worth it, compared to Pure's (which I plan to fit at some point). Can't comment on the FTP cp and boost pipes, but any CP is better than the stock item to avoid a blow out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #402
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
do88 aren't a random brand - they have been established in Europe for some time, but have only more recently turned their attention to the BMW marque.

The quality of the intercooler they sent to me was really excellent.

Not sure if it is the same person you are referring to, but there was a guy that had higher coolant temps after fitting do88 parts, but that was later confirmed to be a bleeding issue - once re-bled, temps were good (in track conditions):
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=333

Agree that the FTP inlet probably isn't worth it, compared to Pure's (which I plan to fit at some point). Can't comment on the FTP cp and boost pipes, but any CP is better than the stock item to avoid a blow out.
Again, nothing negative about the brands themselves, just they may not be the best option.

This was the thread on the Do88 stuff -
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post24952747

Last edited by AmuroRay; 12-29-2019 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #403
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My questions are more about the difference in prices between brands. Intercoolers range from $300 to $800.

Other than users comments, there is no way to determine why such huge disparities. And even then it is more about preferences.

I would look toward a vendor like EPH to help clear up this. In addition if EPH considers one brand inferior then I would hope they stop selling it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #404
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
My questions are more about the difference in prices between brands. Intercoolers range from $300 to $800.

Other than users comments, there is no way to determine why such huge disparities. And even then it is more about preferences.

I would look toward a vendor like EPH to help clear up this. In addition if EPH considers one brand inferior then I would hope they stop selling it.
Quote:
I wish the answer was this easy but lots of factors play a role with pricing including type of intercooler (tube & fin vs bar and plate), fin density, finish quality and wields, R&D and testing performed in the design stages, manufacturing country & the profit margin set by the manufacturer

Quote:
Thats why data is so important. Look for manufacturer or user posted info on temp control, pressure air drop, recovery and weight of the intercooler.

Truth is, cheaper intercoolers do not target the same audience as the more expensive ones. It depends on your mods, HP, etc...
Thats why companies like VRSF and Wagner Tuning offer different tiers of intercoolers.

If you need help picking the correct intercooler, send me your modifications and i can provide you with a few options

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #405
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Do88 seems good for £550. Before that was going to go CSF.

What I meant by listing all the brands is if they are OEM copy at the attachment/mounting ends are they all inherently compatible with each other?

Can I just do charge pipe and turbo inlet or should I also do turbo to Intercooler while at it?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:14 AM   #406
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do88 seems good for £550. Before that was going to go CSF.

What I meant by listing all the brands is if they are OEM copy at the attachment/mounting ends are they all inherently compatible with each other?

Can I just do charge pipe and turbo inlet or should I also do turbo to Intercooler while at it?
In theory, everything should be intercompatible as both pipe and intercooler manufacturers are aiming to interface with stock parts.

Most people just do the charge pipe and don't change the stock boost pipe. (I have this setup now)

However, if you are doing the inlet, then you really are trying to maximise all air flow, so an aftermarket boost pipe would ensure the least restriction out of the turbo and the best setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #407
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
In theory, everything should be intercompatible as both pipe and intercooler manufacturers are aiming to interface with stock parts.

Most people just do the charge pipe and don't change the stock boost pipe. (I have this setup now)

However, if you are doing the inlet, then you really are trying to maximise all air flow, so an aftermarket boost pipe would ensure the least restriction out of the turbo and the best setup.
A Pure inlet is larger than stock - I think another manufacture is making something similar, but the FTP stuff is the same as stock.

I've never heard or seen anyone show the a aftermarket boost pipe is larger/better flowing than stock.
      12-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #408
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I wish the answer was this easy but lots of factors play a role with pricing including type of intercooler (tube & fin vs bar and plate), fin density, finish quality and wields, R&D and testing performed in the design stages, manufacturing country & the profit margin set by the manufacturer

Thats why data is so important. Look for manufacturer or user posted info on temp control, pressure air drop, recovery and weight of the intercooler.

Truth is, cheaper intercoolers do not target the same audience as the more expensive ones. It depends on your mods, HP, etc...
Thats why companies like VRSF and Wagner Tuning offer different tiers of intercoolers.

If you need help picking the correct intercooler, send me your modifications and i can provide you with a few options
By that reasoning then the VRSF stuff is inferior to the Wagner for example.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #409
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Boost pipe is solid enough even on tuned engines? If so tempted to leave it!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #410
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

VRSF = $500
WAGNER = $800

Both top tier. Why should I spend $300 more.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #411
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Boost pipe is solid enough even on tuned engines? If so tempted to leave it!
All I've heard is that the stock pipe is weaker and prone to splitting. The aftermarket pipes that I have researched are the same size.

I've been waiting for an answer to the charge pipe size a long time. Still waiting.

A more efficient FMIC makes sense. Colder air is better. Thermodynamics 101.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #412
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
VRSF = $500
WAGNER = $800

Look at CFS also and always beware of purchasing anything from any company that does not have phone support.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #413
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
VRSF = $500
WAGNER = $800

The Wagner probably fits better and the $800 in tube and fin design so it's lighter, should have less turbo lag, and should dissipate heat faster when it's heat soaked as the air flows through it better. Also consider customer service if there is an issue, VRSF was not the easiest to get ahold of when I was sent the wrong item. It took a long time to get through the process and get the correct item sent to me.

The VRSF intercooler probably doesn't heat soak as quick as the Wagner Evo comp 2, but once it is heat soaked it should take longer to cool down.

For me I was most concerned about turbo lag and liked that the Wagner would cool reasonably quick when air flowed through it when not in throttle.

I hear the ATM intercooler is great though as well.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      12-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #414
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Also consider customer service if there is an issue, VRSF was not the easiest to get ahold of when I was sent the wrong item. It took a long time to get through the process and get the correct item sent to me.
There's nothing worse than having your vehicle down and having to sit on your hands for an e-mail, sometimes for days.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #415
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
VRSF = $500
WAGNER = $800

Add in ATM/CSF into that

Which one is the best out of the 3?
      12-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #416
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
By that reasoning then the VRSF stuff is inferior to the Wagner for example.
When i said cheaper intercooler, i was not comparing the different brands.
I was comparing the different intercoolers within the same brand.

Wagner EVO I performance intercoolers does not target the same audience as the Wagner EVO II Comp intercooler

Wagner EVO I is the better option for a stock car, Wagner EVO II is the better option for a stage 2 . Wagner EVO III is best for upgraded turbo.

Being more expensive does not mean its better. Different intercoolers are meant for different applications.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #417
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

FWIW do88 on their site claim turbo outlet tubing and chargepipe to have greater flow than stock parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #418
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Just wanted to update everyone before the new year, if anyone is looking for the best performing intercooler available in terms of heat dissipation, please note that the VRSF 6.5" Race HD currently holds the N55 world record in the 1/4 mile.

Logs below, thanks to Juan over at BigBoost for trusting us with his 10 second monster. @bigboostturbo

Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00