BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > I will never buy a bmw again due to cost to activate Apple CarPlay

03-22-2020, 02:52 AM   #45
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
After having BMWs, I can't stand getting in my Ford truck and having to actually plug my iPhone in for apple car play. The wifi idea is brilliant.
The direct plug in works way better than the Wi-Fi setup in all BMWs.

I occasionally drive a friend's Alfa with direct USB plug in CarPlay, there is never a loading error, the fidelity quality is at high bit rate and with the music or voice audio, there is no latency delay in transfer, from sound to picture or call, as there is with the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth BMW wireless streaming.

I like the concept of everything wireless but sometimes old-school direct connection can be the better option, until technology improves and there is a more precise connection, without much loss in sound quality buy a broader bandwidth KBPS transfer, as there is with a wired connection.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #46
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

I occasionally drive a friend's Alfa with direct USB plug in CarPlay, there is never a loading error, the fidelity quality is at high bit rate and with the music or voice audio, there is no latency delay in transfer, from sound to picture or call, as there is with the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth BMW wireless streaming.

I like the concept of everything wireless but sometimes old-school direct connection can be the better option, until technology improves and there is a more precise connection, without much loss in sound quality buy a broader bandwidth KBPS transfer, as there is with a wired connection.
Huh, that's weird because I have zero problems in the M2 with Apple carplay. It works 100% of the time and fast. But in my 17 Ford SuperDuty, there's a long delay when the phone gets plugged in. Even if I plug it in before starting it. And occasionally it locks up the Ford Sync system. I'd still buy this truck again though

I've never tried to make apple car play plug in only on the M2. I do use the fancy BMW Lightning cord to charge it though as opposed to the wireless thing in the armrest.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #47
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Quote:

Huh, that's weird because I have zero problems in the M2 with Apple carplay. It works 100% of the time and fast. But in my 17 Ford SuperDuty, there's a long delay when the phone gets plugged in. Even if I plug it in before starting it. And occasionally it locks up the Ford Sync system. I'd still buy this truck again though

I've never tried to make apple car play plug in only on the M2. I do use the fancy BMW Lightning cord to charge it though as opposed to the wireless thing in the armrest.
The wireless latency audio delay has been a thing for many years, on various BMWs. A direct USB connection doesn't suffer from any of this.

Audio/Video Sync Issues on YouTube over Bluetooth. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1508866

Bluetooth Audio Delay? https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1080803

And when you stream music via a wireless source, the maximum sample bitrate is a 192KBPS, a direct USB maxes out at CD-quality 320KBPS, i.e. almost double the music fidelity quality.

You, personally, might not notice a difference but there is certainly a compromise to a compressed wireless audio streaming connection, over a direct wired line.
Appreciate 1
Brandt51839.50
      03-23-2020, 01:17 AM   #48
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Eh? The wifi system is absolutely brilliant. I never even take my phone out my pocket. Never failed. Never had a dropout. 11/10.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:16 AM   #49
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Eh? The wifi system is absolutely brilliant. I never even take my phone out my pocket. Never failed. Never had a dropout. 11/10.
I'm glad that it works well enough for your needs and I agree, an automatic wireless audio connection will always win in the convenience department, hands down.. Nothing beats hopping into your vehicle and everything is already loaded and ready to go, without even touching your phone.

However, there is factually a loss in quality, via a compressed wireless connection. I could not bear with the thought of dealing with sound latency and leaving better source of audio clarity, on the table, by using Bluetooth or WiFi to stream audio, expect maybe in a pinch.

I'm guessing that's one of the reasons a few owners complain about the Harmon Kardon audio quality in the 2 Series, which I in my opinion, sounds just fine, if used with the proper audio source.

I split the baby and went sort of old/new school and uses a dedicated iPhone 5S, plugged directly into the vehicle's Snap-In Adaptor, with the audio fidelity set to 320KBPS, i.e. CD quality sound, streaming from the native BMW APPS.

My main phone is never encumbered by the vehicle's entertainment system and my audio source is not possible compromised in quality.

Win-Win in my humble opinion but no judgement to anyone else that choose to go difference route in sourcing their tunes, I'm merely just schooling them to the game

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...io-to-your-bmw
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #50
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I just realized something.

With the OP complaining about having toPay for Apple Carplay, i also took a look at what starting MSRP is in the UK.

Based on my research, base MSRP for this car is anywhere between 50k-53k.

A base model 2020 M2 Competition in the US is between 58k-62k.

Now a lot of the stuff we get standard, are things that you guys in the UK are able to add or remove. For example, we dont have the option to remove powered seats. The fact that you guys have the ability to add all that stuff or not can make the car significantly "cheaper" than what get over here in the US.

Conversion of money aside, i'm sure a lot of us would have loved to save money on things like powered seats, removing Carplay (a lot of us are android users) and the like.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #51
Racekaby
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I just realized something.

With the OP complaining about having toPay for Apple Carplay, i also took a look at what starting MSRP is in the UK.

Based on my research, base MSRP for this car is anywhere between 50k-53k.

A base model 2020 M2 Competition in the US is between 58k-62k.

Now a lot of the stuff we get standard, are things that you guys in the UK are able to add or remove. For example, we dont have the option to remove powered seats. The fact that you guys have the ability to add all that stuff or not can make the car significantly "cheaper" than what get over here in the US.

Conversion of money aside, i'm sure a lot of us would have loved to save money on things like powered seats, removing Carplay (a lot of us are android users) and the like.

Rrp of my car spec was £58800 which at the then exchange rate = $73500 approx. Not sure what your rrp would have been but pretty sure the same spec car in US is cheaper than in UK
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:59 AM   #52
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racekaby View Post
Rrp of my car spec was £58800 which at the then exchange rate = $73500 approx. Not sure what your rrp would have been but pretty sure the same spec car in US is cheaper than in UK
Thats why i put cheaper in quotes. Exchange rate makes it hard to judge some things as things in the UK are priced at the same number (not value) as things here in the US. And so yes while a similarly priced BMW is cheaper for you if you bought it in the US, thats not quite what im talking about.

If we look straight at the numbers (not the value of pounds to dollars), your MSRP is lower than ours. With your spec even without Apple Carplay (and maybe some other things you decided not to pay for), if in the US we had the ability to option some of those things out, then you would see a similarly priced car (numbers wise).

Remember, we both consider these cars around the 60k range. I dont consider my car a 40k pound car, just as you dont consider your car a 73k Dollar car. So in that sens, because you were able to save money by being able to option out something like Carplay, your MSRP is "cheaper".
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #53
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Ever tried to buy a new Ferrari?

It’s all relative, lol
Ya im not even going there.... a couple of my buds are into Ferrari and routine maintenance dwarfs the price of just buying the car very quickly.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      05-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #54
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

Quote:
I'm glad that it works well enough for your needs and I agree, an automatic wireless audio connection will always win in the convenience department, hands down.. Nothing beats hopping into your vehicle and everything is already loaded and ready to go, without even touching your phone.

However, there is factually a loss in quality, via a compressed wireless connection. I could not bear with the thought of dealing with sound latency and leaving better source of audio clarity, on the table, by using Bluetooth or WiFi to stream audio, expect maybe in a pinch.

I'm guessing that's one of the reasons a few owners complain about the Harmon Kardon audio quality in the 2 Series, which I in my opinion, sounds just fine, if used with the proper audio source.

I split the baby and went sort of old/new school and uses a dedicated iPhone 5S, plugged directly into the vehicle's Snap-In Adaptor, with the audio fidelity set to 320KBPS, i.e. CD quality sound, streaming from the native BMW APPS.

My main phone is never encumbered by the vehicle's entertainment system and my audio source is not possible compromised in quality.

Win-Win in my humble opinion but no judgement to anyone else that choose to go difference route in sourcing their tunes, I'm merely just schooling them to the game
Just wanted to clarify a couple of things here.

Apple CarPlay wireless is not via Bluetooth. It's via WiFi. There's no additional audio compression, as the WiFi signal is extremely fast - even in an absolute worst-case scenario in the car, much faster than would be required for streaming full-bitrate DVD movies, let alone 320Kbps audio streams. This is an important distinction, because wireless Apple CarPlay audio functions via Apple AirPlay (AirPlay Mirroring, to be exact), which is a proprietary technology that Apple came up with (or, more likely, bought), a number of years ago (formerly AirTunes), specifically in order to combat the loss-heavy quality of Bluetooth audio.

AirPlay audio streams (assuming they're not AirPlay 2 devices) stream via the Apple Lossless codec, which is equal to an encrypted, fully-lossless WAV file. As long as your source file is up-to-par, there should be absolutely no discernible difference via wired or wireless CarPlay.

I also feel it's important to note, 320Kbps is not CD-quality audio. 1411Kbps is CD-quality for 16-bit audio. There are lossless codecs out there, such as FLAC, which can reduce that bitrate - but, generally speaking, ANY MP3 file is going to be compressed, and will sound as such. It's not likely that the majority of people will be able to discern a difference between 320Kbps and fully-lossless audio, but the difference is much larger than would be perceptible between a wired or wireless CarPlay connection.

Lastly, just in case, please don't take this as a slight. You're an absolutely fantastic resource on this forum, and, in my reading over these past months, you've certainly come off as being extremely wise, and level-headed. I just want to make sure to clear up any misconceptions!

Edit - to further clarify - the actual FUNCTIONALITY of wireless CarPlay is a different story entirely!
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
SumBMWGuy1380.00
      05-14-2020, 12:41 AM   #55
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3geekfamily View Post
Quote:

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things here.

Apple CarPlay wireless is not via Bluetooth. It's via WiFi. There's no additional audio compression, as the WiFi signal is extremely fast - even in an absolute worst-case scenario in the car, much faster than would be required for streaming full-bitrate DVD movies, let alone 320Kbps audio streams. This is an important distinction, because wireless Apple CarPlay audio functions via Apple AirPlay (AirPlay Mirroring, to be exact), which is a proprietary technology that Apple came up with (or, more likely, bought), a number of years ago (formerly AirTunes), specifically in order to combat the loss-heavy quality of Bluetooth audio.

AirPlay audio streams (assuming they're not AirPlay 2 devices) stream via the Apple Lossless codec, which is equal to an encrypted, fully-lossless WAV file. As long as your source file is up-to-par, there should be absolutely no discernible difference via wired or wireless CarPlay.

I also feel it's important to note, 320Kbps is not CD-quality audio. 1411Kbps is CD-quality for 16-bit audio. There are lossless codecs out there, such as FLAC, which can reduce that bitrate - but, generally speaking, ANY MP3 file is going to be compressed, and will sound as such. It's not likely that the majority of people will be able to discern a difference between 320Kbps and fully-lossless audio, but the difference is much larger than would be perceptible between a wired or wireless CarPlay connection.

Lastly, just in case, please don't take this as a slight. You're an absolutely fantastic resource on this forum, and, in my reading over these past months, you've certainly come off as being extremely wise, and level-headed. I just want to make sure to clear up any misconceptions!

Edit - to further clarify - the actual FUNCTIONALITY of wireless CarPlay is a different story entirely!
All good points and thanks for the information but can we agree on one thing; regardless of Bluetooth or Wi-Fi audio streaming or MP3 compression, nothing beats the audio quality of a direct USB connection.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #56
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

Quote:
All good points and thanks for the information but can we agree on one thing; regardless of Bluetooth or Wi-Fi audio streaming or MP3 compression, nothing beats the audio quality of a direct USB connection.
Definitely! The higher quality the source, the more it matters - especially when getting into things like Tidal's 24-bit/96Khz master-quality, which (if you have a system capable of it), is substantially better than CD-quality - but we are well beyond car audio at this point!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00