BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Anyone painted/obscured the M2C exhaust muffler ?

08-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #45
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I wouldn't be surprised if you just chopped off the muffler and straight piped the rear that it sounds fine. This would drop probably 50 lbs and look better too.
Appreciate 1
m20e30871143.00
      08-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #46
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAZ View Post
I would be very cautious about how a person goes about painting the muffler. This is going to require a bit more experience than the guy down at Auto Zone.

The cleaning and preparation should be considerable. The muffler should be removed and masked. The paint used should be of a very high grade. Possibly a special primer may be necessary to get a good chemical bond.

Don't be, That Guy!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #47
PaulAZ
Rep
Drives: Tecoma

Sounds Good and Loud! Measure 7x7, Cut once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you just chopped off the muffler and straight piped the rear that it sounds fine. This would drop probably 50 lbs and look better too.
I have been considering this. YouTube has clips of individuals straight piping their cars and it sounds really good with less weight.

I would be concerned about removing the Catalytic Converter. This could cause problems with emissions testing.

I believe the M Performance Exhaust is cut and weld, as the entire Catalytic converter, rearward, is one piece. But I'm sure I could be corrected on this?

Measure 7x7, Cut once!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #48
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Is this how the M2 comp sounds with the standard exhaust? Don't know what it is but it sounds a bit strange to me, almost 4 cylinder like...not the M3/4 type sound I was expecting. Not too keen on it going by this video. Hope it doesn't actually sound like this.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 03:32 AM   #49
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Is this how the M2 comp sounds with the standard exhaust? Don't know what it is but it sounds a bit strange to me, almost 4 cylinder like...not the M3/4 type sound I was expecting. Not too keen on it going by this video. Hope it doesn't actually sound like this.

That is the ASD you hear, fake exhaust sound via the speakers of the car

MR
Appreciate 1
AD18347.50
      08-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #50
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
That is the ASD you hear, fake exhaust sound via the speakers of the car

MR
Ah right! Thank you. I'd be unplugging that if I ever get the car
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #51
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

What company will be the first to develop a exhaust system for the M2c that's reasonably priced?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #52
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
What company will be the first to develop a exhaust system for the M2c that's reasonably priced?
The one that deals with the OPF filter properly...

What you will see is a number of brands offering the slip-on based on the M3 and M4 exhaust set up for the M2C...

It will be relatively easy for these brands to redesign it so that fits the M2C, but all these brands need a car first.

I could easily see that happening relatively soon.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #53
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
What you will see is a number of brands offering the slip-on based on the M3 and M4 exhaust set up for the M2C...

It will be relatively easy for this brands to redesign it so that fits the M2C, but all these brands need a car first.
Hopefully Eisenmann is one of first to redesign their M3/M4 slip-on rear for the M2C. It sounds really good for a rear section only.

Appreciate 4
KevM2720.00
COChris887.50
chris7197273.00
seis-speed2426.00
      08-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #54
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Would an exhaust made for m2 be interchangeable with m2c? Us version?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #55
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

BMW Rep told me M performance version is coming soon.
      08-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #56
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
BMW Rep told me M performance version is coming soon.

I really hope so ! Need it before the car lands to have it port installed !

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #57
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
Hopefully Eisenmann is one of first to redesign their M3/M4 slip-on rear for the M2C. It sounds really good for a rear section only.

This does sound surprisingly good for a pre-ZCP F82.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #58
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Would an exhaust made for m2 be interchangeable with m2c? Us version?
Nope, different engine, different downpipes.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #59
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbahoshy View Post
I really hope so ! Need it before the car lands to have it port installed !
Talk to your dealer, they can request the part number now.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #60
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive MPPSK

@MR.

Do you have any info on whether MPE will be reapproved in the EU?
What about other EU manufacturers, like Akra - will they no longer be able to get TUV certifications for their products?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #61
unc879wins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Lexus RC350 FSport

When you build out the M2C on the BMWUSA website, the rear is shown blacked out. Not sure by diffuser or just painted but certainly not a silver muffler exposed. Maybe just Marketing Dept cleaning it up online.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #62
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc879wins View Post
When you build out the M2C on the BMWUSA website, the rear is shown blacked out. Not sure by diffuser or just painted but certainly not a silver muffler exposed. Maybe just Marketing Dept cleaning it up online.
It's the marketing department. They also blacked out the exhaust can on press photos.
      08-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #63
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo871 View Post
@MR.

Do you have any info on whether MPE will be reapproved in the EU? What about other EU manufacturers, like Akra - will they no longer be able to get TUV certifications for their products?
No news right now. BMW wants to redesign the exhaust for the EU market but that means no BT remote and it is not allowed to be louder than the normal exhaust... That is the only way to make it compliant and TUV approved in Germany!

You could say "Yeah but what about the other European countries". I could easily see BMW just making it compliant for Germany and then sell it everywhere else in the EU not having to deal with the issues of having different versions on stock. One exhaust for everyone in the EU that is compliant. They did the same when they introduce that little red button in the trunk. Also only intended for the German market after complaints by the TUV I believe.

Other manufacturers will only get TUV when their products are TUV. It counts for every single product that you could think of. From lowering springs to exhausts and from suspension kits to wheels! All need TUV approval and many need a renewed approval. You can easily see how much work that currently costs.

The tuners are dealing with major issues selling TUV approved parts. For the development of new parts they need time, a lot more time than normal to make sure they are TUV approved since the TUV has got a certain amount of availability. The bigger brands go first and then the tuners, so then you know why it takes longer.

I honestly believe that companies like Akrapovic, Eisenmann, Hamann, Capristo, etc will all develop a slip-on kit for the car that is sold in the EU market. It is by far the easiest to develop and sell dealing with the OPF and getting the product to market earlier.

Of course, I do not have any confirmation of that yet, but it feels the most logical. Other than that they could develop a full exhaust for the other worldwide markets. If so then it allows European markets to sell a non-compliant full catback system to European owners with the remark that they need to do a tune on their car to deal with the OPF removal. Of course, it depends if a tune is required, but I wouldn't be amazed that it does.

Personally, I would not easily see a manufacturer creating a new full catback exhaust including the OPF. That would be too expensive to develop and sell I think, also because the market is relatively small for this product.

Time will tell what will happen. I will have updates for you guys in October, not earlier. You will see some things happening with my car that will help you answering this question, but I cannot comment on these now.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #64
Shekels
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C HS Nov 2018

Is the OPF something that just needs to be on it as it leaves the factory to pass some regulation, or is it something that needs to be installed to pass future emissions tests as the car gets older?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #65
n55co
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: G80X BSM

OPF is build into the Donwpipe and additionally replacing mid-catalysts.
Actually no reason to replace OPFs for a catback system...

Remove mid-muffler and replace muffler and you should be good to go (If someone can manage to get TUV for that).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #66
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive MPPSK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo871 View Post
@MR.

Do you have any info on whether MPE will be reapproved in the EU? What about other EU manufacturers, like Akra - will they no longer be able to get TUV certifications for their products?
No news right now. BMW wants to redesign the exhaust for the EU market but that means no BT remote and it is not allowed to be louder than the normal exhaust... That is the only way to make it compliant and TUV approved in Germany!

You could say "Yeah but what about the other European countries". I could easily see BMW just making it compliant for Germany and then sell it everywhere else in the EU not having to deal with the issues of having different versions on stock. One exhaust for everyone in the EU that is compliant. They did the same when they introduce that little red button in the trunk. Also only intended for the German market after complaints by the TUV I believe.

Other manufacturers will only get TUV when their products are TUV. It counts for every single product that you could think of. From lowering springs to exhausts and from suspension kits to wheels! All need TUV approval and many need a renewed approval. You can easily see how much work that currently costs.

The tuners are dealing with major issues selling TUV approved parts. For the development of new parts they need time, a lot more time than normal to make sure they are TUV approved since the TUV has got a certain amount of availability. The bigger brands go first and then the tuners, so then you know why it takes longer.

I honestly believe that companies like Akrapovic, Eisenmann, Hamann, Capristo, etc will all develop a slip-on kit for the car that is sold in the EU market. It is by far the easiest to develop and sell dealing with the OPF and getting the product to market earlier.

Of course, I do not have any confirmation of that yet, but it feels the most logical. Other than that they could develop a full exhaust for the other worldwide markets. If so then it allows European markets to sell a non-compliant full catback system to European owners with the remark that they need to do a tune on their car to deal with the OPF removal. Of course, it depends if a tune is required, but I wouldn't be amazed that it does.

Personally, I would not easily see a manufacturer creating a new full catback exhaust including the OPF. That would be too expensive to develop and sell I think, also because the market is relatively small for this product.

Time will tell what will happen. I will have updates for you guys in October, not earlier. You will see some things happening with my car that will help you answering this question, but I cannot comment on these now.

MR
Thanks for the exhaustive feedback. I really hope there will not be a dead-end for the M2c exhaust development.
Appreciate 0