BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Seat base

01-17-2023, 04:12 PM   #1
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Seat base

Hey guys, I want to get a bucket seat for track days, what seat base are you guys using, a did some searching around and to my surprise did not find much.

Also, is there a way to code out the drivers seat airbag, or plug in a resistor harness for when I have the bucket installed and then re code when stock seat is back in?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 04:50 AM   #2
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

I recently acquired an M2c with track seats. The previous owner was also going to swap back and forth the OEM seats between seasons. He had the warning lights coded out for the track seats, but would need to arrange having them re-coded for every swap.

There is a thread on here that I can't find at the moment that goes pretty deep into the coding as well as someone who tried setting up resistor plugs (still needed some coding, if i remember correctly). I recommend some key word searches to try and find that particular thread. Overall I didn't come away thinking I had a good option.

Personally I did not want to swap seats back and forth because of the coding. I instead opted to replace the track seats that came with the car for a slightly more street friendly bucket, Cobra Nogaro. I will sell the track seats to help recoup some of the expense. Swapping them back and forth may be a better option for you if you're comfortable coding your car yourself, but that's not me.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 08:57 AM   #3
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I am using the VAC floor mount with Recaro Sporster CS seats on my F87. As for coding, I had CodeMyCar (dot) com remotely code out the seat airbags post install.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 08:12 AM   #4
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftKr6l View Post
Hey guys, I want to get a bucket seat for track days, what seat base are you guys using, a did some searching around and to my surprise did not find much.

Also, is there a way to code out the drivers seat airbag, or plug in a resistor harness for when I have the bucket installed and then re code when stock seat is back in?

I installed OEM manual sliders that I harvested from the seats of a 3 series from my local junkyard. $200 bucks. They work perfectly with the BK side mounts and the Cobra Nogaro.

I went this route after hearingthat some of the aftermarket options result in annoying play/jiggle. I hired a coder to deal with the airbag warning stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 08:38 PM   #5
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Good idea, which year/models have same seat base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
I installed OEM manual sliders that I harvested from the seats of a 3 series from my local junkyard. $200 bucks. They work perfectly with the BK side mounts and the Cobra Nogaro.

I went this route after hearingthat some of the aftermarket options result in annoying play/jiggle. I hired a coder to deal with the airbag warning stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 09:21 PM   #6
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftKr6l View Post
Good idea, which year/models have same seat base?
E90/E91/E92/E93; 2004+

F30/F31/F34/F35; 2011+

Also, the i3. And probably Mini Coopers.

Copart helped my track down a salvage yard with these. I called ahead and they had the entire seat and assembly ready for pickup. It was surprisingly civilized. I removed the sliders and tossed the seats.

I also remember another forum member saying that there is eBay seller hawking sliders.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 09:24 PM   #7
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

These should work.

https://images.app.goo.gl/W2bPhWDZeMefSBKC8
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 02:51 PM   #8
DriftKr6l