2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
https://www.lithiumax.com.au/shop

I have been using Lithiumax in my race cars & have a Race9+ for my M2.
3kg (6 lbs) & incredible power specs. My cars sit for long periods of time & never require any charging whatsoever. Plug & play with car specific fitting kit.
Awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link man.
No problem, they really are that good.
      02-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #24
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
No problem, they really are that good.
The more options the better!
      02-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Just had a chance to take a look at some batteries and so far what I see is that the cold cranking amps are lower than antigrav, but the batteries are significantly lighter. Even the 68AH battery is half the weight of the antigrav 40 ah battery, holy crap that is light. It even has the restart tech (on some batteries) which is really nice. The price is also alot cheaper than antigrav, so tbh I think I have a new favorite lithium battery.

Thanks again man!

ZM2 maybe these batteries are something you would be interested in.
ZM22813.50
      02-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #26
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

TargaM2 F87source

Coincidently I was watching my V8 Supercars Superview YouTube subscription and the Mt Panorama race earlier today and was admiring the tiny lithium batteries in the cars (along with the E85, AP Racing brakes, and plush suspension—love watching Supercars more than F1!).

This looks like a great option. They have some new models coming out, so I’ll have to go thru the specs to figure out which one would be enough for my situ, and the OEM fit bracket to go with it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
F87source7253.50
      02-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #27
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Separate, related question:

What cooling fans/pumps do our cars run after we turn the car off? Just want to make sure I get enough Ah for the car to continue to circulate air, water, oil, etc, at the track, if it does that once turning the car off.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
TargaM2 F87source

Coincidently I was watching my V8 Supercars Superview YouTube subscription and the Mt Panorama race earlier today and was admiring the tiny lithium batteries in the cars (along with the E85, AP Racing brakes, and plush suspension—love watching Supercars more than F1!).

This looks like a great option. They have some new models coming out, so I’ll have to go thru the specs to figure out which one would be enough for my situ, and the OEM fit bracket to go with it.

Thanks!
Yeah and the crazy thing is the shipping is pretty cheap too, $109AUD to Canada. So all in their batteries are way cheaper than anti grav, and lighter too. It would be even cheaper with the usd to aud exchange rate so you can really capitalize.
      02-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Separate, related question:

What cooling fans/pumps do our cars run after we turn the car off? Just want to make sure I get enough Ah for the car to continue to circulate air, water, oil, etc, at the track, if it does that once turning the car off.
I don't think it leaves any pumps on, that's only for the s55 with the intercooler pump and turbo cooling pump iirc. I will check this summer to see pump duty cycles though, but I don't think anything runs after the car is off - which is why you should always do a cool down lap and let the car idle a bit before you shut it off.

Btw 68AH and 64 AH is the only two models that you can get with 900 cold cranking amps, the rest has reduced cold cranking amps so it doesn't list the m2 as compatible. So you don't really have much choice, but not to worry the largest battery they have (68AH) still weighs 50% less than AG's smallest battery, at 3.9 kg.
ZM22813.50
      02-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #30
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it leaves any pumps on, that's only for the s55 with the intercooler pump and turbo cooling pump iirc. I will check this summer to see pump duty cycles though, but I don't think anything runs after the car is off - which is why you should always do a cool down lap and let the car idle a bit before you shut it off.

Btw 68AH and 64 AH is the only two models that you can get with 900 cold cranking amps, the rest has reduced cold cranking amps so it doesn't list the m2 as compatible. So you don't really have much choice, but not to worry the largest battery they have (68AH) still weighs 50% less than AG's smallest battery, at 3.9 kg.
Are you thinking their 7 series batteries wouldn’t cut it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #31
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Are you thinking their 7 series batteries wouldn’t cut it?
It probably will but then the restart tech (if equipped) likely won't have the juice to restart the car, or if the battery gets low it might not have the cranking amps to start the car after. It might also struggle in the cold, so I wouldn't go less than their race9+ or restart 9 (restart 9 if you want the restart tech) battery.
      02-27-2021, 11:14 PM   #32
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Just had a chance to take a look at some batteries and so far what I see is that the cold cranking amps are lower than antigrav, but the batteries are significantly lighter. Even the 68AH battery is half the weight of the antigrav 40 ah battery, holy crap that is light. It even has the restart tech (on some batteries) which is really nice. The price is also alot cheaper than antigrav, so tbh I think I have a new favorite lithium battery.

Thanks again man!

ZM2 maybe these batteries are something you would be interested in.
Not sure it makes a difference, but the quoted capacity looks like it is 68AH equivalent, rather than true capacity. Antigravity lists both, but leads with the actual AH capacity. Just mentioning to ensure you’re making an apples to apples comparison. In any case, they do appear to be quite a bit lighter than the AG batteries. Pretty cool.

I’m definitely interested in a Lithium battery when the OE AGM craps out. I made sure to buy a Lithium compatible charger/tender a couple years ago to be prepared.

However, with onboard battery management that both companies offer, does anyone know if you should choose a standard AGM/Lead Acid mode on your charger, or actually use the lithium mode if you have it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 11:30 PM   #33
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Not sure it makes a difference, but the quoted capacity looks like it is 68AH equivalent, rather than true capacity. Antigravity lists both, but leads with the actual AH capacity. Just mentioning to ensure you’re making an apples to apples comparison. In any case, they do appear to be quite a bit lighter than the AG batteries. Pretty cool.

I’m definitely interested in a Lithium battery when the OE AGM craps out. I made sure to buy a Lithium compatible charger/tender a couple years ago to be prepared.

However, with onboard battery management that both companies offer, does anyone know if you should choose a standard AGM/Lead Acid mode on your charger, or actually use the lithium mode if you have it?
You make a fair point, I forgot to compare between actual and compared AH capacities - again I'm not a battery expert.

For AG you must use a lithium charger. For the lithiumax battery you are allowed to use a standard trickle charger if it has an agm mode. You're also allowed to use a up to an 80 amp battery charger which is amazing for people that like to flash new isteps to their cars.
bentom2335.50
      02-27-2021, 11:50 PM   #34
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

So I remember reading about equivalent and actual capacities on AG's site, but the oy battery that lists this is their original rs30 battery: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...omotive/rs-30/

This is closer to lithiumax's 68AH battery in terms of capacity yet it's still heavier, and more expensive.
bentom2335.50
      02-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #35
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

With the difference b/n actual and equivalent Ah, how would do you decide what value to to register for the battery when coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #36
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
With the difference b/n actual and equivalent Ah, how would do you decide what value to to register for the battery when coding?
If I'm not mistaken actual is the amount the battery can truly store, equivalent is how much energy the lithium battery stores relative to an agm battery because the lithium battery can discharge more it has more "effective" or useful capacity than an agm.

I believe you would register the battery based on actual capacity.

Talk to the lithium battery manufacture that you're going to buy from to be sure.
      02-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #37
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
So I remember reading about equivalent and actual capacities on AG's site, but the oy battery that lists this is their original rs30 battery: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...omotive/rs-30/

This is closer to lithiumax's 68AH battery in terms of capacity yet it's still heavier, and more expensive.
I was looking at the smaller batteries for my 2002. That’s probably when I recalled seeing both capacities quoted. Thanks for digging up the reference.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #38
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at the smaller batteries for my 2002. That’s probably when I recalled seeing both capacities quoted. Thanks for digging up the reference.
No problem, I remember seeing it when Anti grav first came onto the scene and never saw it since.
bentom2335.50
      03-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #39
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post

Solid product, and their drop in for the M2 continues that experience.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h7-rs/

It has the restart feature and also the Bluetooth monitoring..

HTH,
HAZMAT
Thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #40
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I talked to lithumax they said register their equivalent AH if using agm charging mode aka how the car is right now, if you can change charging mode to lithium use actual AH.

Idk if it varies from different battery manufactures so double check if you buy a different brand.
ZM22813.50
      03-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #41
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I talked to lithumax they said register their equivalent AH if using agm charging mode aka how the car is right now, if you can change charging mode to lithium use actual AH.

Idk if it varies from different battery manufactures so double check if you buy a different brand.
Thanks for the info, as I hadn't got around to asking them yet.

Are you guys going to order their OEM retrofit bracket too, or try to brace the battery a different way? The bracket also comes with the SAE posts, which aren't expensive either way.

Battery, bracket, and shipping still add up to $900US with a 30-90-day wait. 5% off promo code (eddys5) takes that down to $862US. Would love to drop 45lbs, but it's still $600 more than an AGM.

Last edited by ZM2; 03-01-2021 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #42
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info, as I hadn't got around to asking them yet.

Are you guys going to order their OEM retrofit bracket too, or try to brace the battery a different way? The bracket also comes with the SAE posts, which aren't expensive either way.

Battery, bracket, and shipping still add up to $900US with a 30-90-day wait. 5% off promo code (eddys5) takes that down to $862US. Would love to drop 45lbs, but it's still $600 more than an AGM.
I'm going to buy the bracket so it can use the factory battery retainer on the bottom, and hopefully the top battery support bar still fits. I talked to lithumax and they said they have had it on alot of m2's around the world no problem so yeah.

What size are our battery posts? They are metric for sure, but what size is the question.

Hmm at the $862 range it isn't as cheap as I would've liked and might be a consideration to look at AG batteries as well because they are a direct drop in as they have the H7 group 94r size battery. Maybe talk to lithiumax to see if they have any discounts at some point.

But yes it is indeed alot more than a standard AGM battery, but it should last 4 times longer, so those savings should equal out.
      03-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #43
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to buy the bracket so it can use the factory battery retainer on the bottom, and hopefully the top battery support bar still fits. I talked to lithumax and they said they have had it on alot of m2's around the world no problem so yeah.

What size are our battery posts? They are metric for sure, but what size is the question.

Hmm at the $862 range it isn't as cheap as I would've liked and might be a consideration to look at AG batteries as well because they are a direct drop in as they have the H7 group 94r size battery. Maybe talk to lithiumax to see if they have any discounts at some point.

But yes it is indeed alot more than a standard AGM battery, but it should last 4 times longer, so those savings should equal out.
The AG battery is still heavier and more expensive than the LM, so just gotta decide if I want to pay the premium for the LM and 45lbs weight savings. It’s essentially the same as adding 5-6hp to my car, so similar price ratio as some bolt ons, if you will.

But, it shifts the weight balance back towards the front, which really it’s the nose that needs to lighten up for better balance on our cars. Obviously some of that can be addressed in suspension setup, but we’re already fighting 52/48 F/R and having that extra weight so low in the rear has got to help traction even if you have to sling it around laterally.

So, now we’re getting into trade offs and splitting hairs.
Appreciate 1
F87source7253.50
      03-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #44
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The AG battery is still heavier and more expensive than the LM, so just gotta decide if I want to pay the premium for the LM and 45lbs weight savings. It’s essentially the same as adding 5-6hp to my car, so similar price ratio as some bolt ons, if you will.

But, it shifts the weight balance back towards the front, which really it’s the nose that needs to lighten up for better balance on our cars. Obviously some of that can be addressed in suspension setup, but we’re already fighting 52/48 F/R and having that extra weight so low in the rear has got to help traction even if you have to sling it around laterally.

So, now we’re getting into trade offs and splitting hairs.
Yeah that is true, it is something to think about especially since these batteries are not cheap. Another factor to consider is that with LM you can use a standard AGM trickle charger (so long as the agm mode does not do any battery conditioning), while with AG you have to spend another hundred bucks on a lithium charger and if you flash your car you can't (to my knowledge) use those high powered battery chargers.

That's true, but you can always counteract that loss with a big tank of water for your water sprayer set up

Either way I have some thinking to do as well with the fact that my battery is 5 years old this year and who knows how close it is to the edge.
ZM22813.50