BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Paint protection film is it worth it?

11-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #23
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
A much better alternative is Autoflex.

Spayed on, in any color, as protective as PPF, and cheaper than whole car PPF or a wrap.

It's the next gen technology we'll all be talking about in a year.
autoflex has been around for many years but hasn't caught on due to small number of installers due to environmental regulations of spraying liquids. It won't catch on.
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13117.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      11-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #24
propkaPT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M, 1987 325is, 2020 V60

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I was in the car business for 11 years, so let me educate you.

1. There is no used car factory, so if you find the exact USED car you want, you better buy it, as you'll never be able to compare it to another exactly like it in condition.

2. As a car ages it's CONDITION, not the book price, that matters, and you can damn well believe that there is easily a $2500 swing in a used $60K car.

PPF is the very best investment you can make on a car that you're going to keep for more than 2 years, or if you are hard on cars.

But it's nice that people like you exist, the guys that buy sub-par products at sub-par prices.

And a respray, are you even serious right now? We're not talking about a Civic here, you respray an M2 and your value just went completely out the door.

But again, guys like you trying to buy a $60K car for $25K, be my guest, just don't try to advise the rest of the people trying to buy nice cars.
I see you got triggered by my opinion. Thats ok. Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #25
propkaPT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Finding a car already wrapped is obviously the best way to go.

I do believe a wrapped car will command a higher price on used market. At least it would for me. Two identical cars, one wrapped and one not. I would pay up for the wrapped one every day of the week.
I couldn't agree more with you and thats what I always try to do. However, I have met people that hate the way PPF looks and, as far as purchase price goes, PPF commands a higher price on a new car from the dealer but i haven't seen that reflected in used cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #26
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by propkaPT View Post
I see you got triggered by my opinion. Thats ok. Different strokes for different folks.
Haha, rough day.

You do you, I'll do me...and make a profit.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:28 PM   #27
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
autoflex has been around for many years but hasn't caught on due to small number of installers due to environmental regulations of spraying liquids. It won't catch on.
Not sure where you are, but it's appearing all over the place here. California's CARB regulations make ANY sprayed product a challenge. But regulations for the two are no different.

Autoflex hasn't been around for "many years." The major advancements have come in the past three years, especially Autoflex Gloss.

I've had wrapped cars, PPF covered cars, and now an Autoflex protected car. Trust me, I'll never go back!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #28
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Not sure where you are, but it's appearing all over the place here. California's CARB regulations make ANY sprayed product a challenge. But regulations for the two are no different.

Autoflex hasn't been around for "many years." The major advancements have come in the past three years, especially Autoflex Gloss.

I've had wrapped cars, PPF covered cars, and now an Autoflex protected car. Trust me, I'll never go back!
The comparison I was making was for regulations between film and sprayables making it hard to become officially licensed and legal in more states.

Autoflex has been around for at least 5 years. I looked into it for my previous car and passed. Not trying to get into "semantics" but I'd say 5+ years counts as many years
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #29
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't think its worth it. I bought a lexus isf with 70k miles on it and the previous owner touched up the paint and it looked very good.
Wrapping the front of a car for 2500 which you will never get back isn't worth it. Cars that have PPF are not worth a penny more on the used market than cars that dont and a respray will cost you the same by the time the PPF starts looking like crap. Best bet is to buy a used car that someone had already added the film. Win win
You say you don't get back a penny on investment and then advised folks to look for used cars that have PPF?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #30
propkaPT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
You say you don't get back a penny on investment and then advised folks to look for used cars that have PPF?
right! Its like any other modification. Some buyers will want it and others wont. The person who pays for the exhaust or coilovers or PPF never gets their money back...maybe some...but you cant part out PPF
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #31
propkaPT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

that looks awesome
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #32
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
right! Its like any other modification. Some buyers will want it and others wont. The person who pays for the exhaust or coilovers or PPF never gets their money back...maybe some...but you cant part out PPF
This is just dead wrong. Maybe you're just lazy? And I mean that honestly.

I always get some return on my mods, as I only buy quality parts, and either people want to pay for them on the car, or I'll sell them off the car.

PPF is the absolute best mod you can make, and you'll definitely get some of your money back, as now your paint is in better condition than every other used car on the market that didn't have PPF.

Your problem is that you've never seen it actually happen, and being in the car business for so long, I've seen it time and time again.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #33
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
This is just dead wrong. Maybe you're just lazy? And I mean that honestly.

I always get some return on my mods, as I only buy quality parts, and either people want to pay for them on the car, or I'll sell them off the car.

PPF is the absolute best mod you can make, and you'll definitely get some of your money back, as now your paint is in better condition than every other used car on the market that didn't have PPF.

Your problem is that you've never seen it actually happen, and being in the car business for so long, I've seen it time and time again.
This makes sense. You'll be able to ask for the price at the higher end of the price range vs having an avg. car. It will also likely aid in the speed of sale, which is worth something also. I'm not a ppf fanboy, but like to point out quality logic.
      11-22-2020, 01:24 AM   #34
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Absolutely

Worth every dime
Attached Images

11-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #35
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

I had my PPF guy all lined up and was ready to do PPF from the start. However, for some reason, I decided not to last minute and I don't regret it at all! I do a lot of highway driving and sure there are a few rock chips if you inspect it up close and carefully. But from a foot away, you don't see anything. Inadvertently, it saved me $5K for a full wrap and that will be put into potentially a suspension mod.

Of course you're going to get a answers from both sides. I would hardly think some who actually PPFed would say they regret it. It's one of those questions that are inherently biased based on the responses. Another example is asking forum members if they regret buying the M2C...
      11-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #36
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
that looks awesome
Incredible stuff!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0