BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 forum kind of dead?

11-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #67
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
If you guys insist upon Porsche, here is a great video for car enthusiasts. . .

///AVM
  • 06:50: Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger compliments BMW on the E46 M3 CSL;
  • 18:12: serious encounter with the Spanish police;
  • 28:04 and 28:41: GT3 color reminds of the Misano Blue color of the M2 CS.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #68
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Think it's the normal cycle of things. With this generation approaching its end its likely taking away from the market with those who want to wait until the next gen - so less new traffic maybe. The current gen is fairly well vetted at this point as well so not as much new info being discussed as well.

BUT probably the biggest key is that by this point everyone on Earth knows how awful the S55 sounds - so the forums have probably lost at least half its traffic in people that came here to inform the poor M2C folk that their cars have flatulence issues.

I think that after the newness of the next gen wears off you will see the F87 have an uptick in interest again. If the next gen comes in as heavy as it is potentially sounds like it might I think the comparatively lower weight & better balance of the F87 will become sought after - much like the increased interest in the E9x M3 platform due to the S65.

One thing I have seen though is that while there has been a decrease in traffic on the forums (possibly translating to a decrease in interest?) there does seem to be an increase in track presence - definitely a positive!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #69
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
I actually think the entire website is quite dead

Might be a combination of car forums dying off in general as well as a bit to much censorship
      11-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #70
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I actually think the entire website is quite dead

Might be a combination of car forums dying off in general as well as a bit to much censorship
I feel the e9x m3 section is much more active, but there are more of those cars on the market, it's at a price point that is low enough used that a lot of people can finally get one, the s65 engine supplies an endless amount of reliability discussion, and I think there is renewed interest because high revving NA engines are mostly dead and a lot of people are looking at mustang gt350, e9x m3, or Porsche gt car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #71
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

BMWs just don't do it for many of the automotive crowd anymore. It's SUVs and executive packages with people that have never turned wrench in their lives. What are they going to talk about on the forum...

"Check it man, I was sipping my double shot expresso on the the way to Pilates when some bruh in an Audi cut me off. So I kicked off my Jimmy Chu espadrilles and floored it. I destroyed the poor audi guy and it felt so good!"

There is only so much excitement you can extract from an executive package or mirrors that auto fold themselves. The forum is a place for people that love something to share the love and information but with so many non wrench turners that just take it to the dealer, there are less and less people. Then of the few left, sometimes only the trolls are left so it makes it even less interesting.

Finally, everyone is moving to facebook where you put one good artificially happy or funny picture for people to like and that is the equivalent of drinking a soda vs the forum which is more like like bunch of people brewing a craft beer, then drinking it.

When people find out I have 3 BMWs I am immediately assaulted with inane things oh, I love the butt warmers and I infotainment is amazing and I needed extended leather, glad I got it. I just look at them with glazed eyes now. I don't even tell them that none of my 3 BMWs have NAV, I fold my own mirrors if a need to and most of all I even have to shift them myself!
Appreciate 6
eldogo274.00
DAC17170.50
DanG10549.00
Poochie9103.00
iiNNeX18.50
      12-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #72
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I've noticed the slow-down this year as well, just figured it was COVID.

On the one hand I miss the traffic of NASIOC and S2Ki, but I don't really miss the people, if you catch my drift.
Depends. S2ki posters of like, 2005-2010 were truly amazing people, quality, posts, etc.

But they since moved on to bigger and better things.

Cue like, 2016, and now the car is more affordable and some less amazing people enter the fray and make it miserable.

It's 70% of the reason why I parted my S2000 out and sold it. I couldn't stand what the community had become.
      12-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #73
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

There is an interesting concept here. I have owned a whole bunch of performance cars over the years (E36 M3, multiple Corvettes, Mustang GT's, Camaro SS's, 135i, RX-8, etc.). One of the things that I find interesting about my current E97 X3Mc is the amount of content (videos, Roundel, forums, etc.) that I can access about the car/brand. I have found that this keeps me interested in the car/brand. Believe it or not, one of the best current forums out there is the Kia Stinger!

Anyway, I still watch this forum as I will likely buy an M2c next spring before the new model comes out. Current model is more analog and I like that!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #74
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

I think its several factors, quite possibly the largest being that car forums have been dying over the last few years.

They cycle of cars being brand new models and having a few buyer types (who are buying new because the car was just released) and then some time going by and depreciation happens and different owner types being more present on the same forums because of a lower cost of entry is similar across brands and models as I've seen.

nachob hit on some very accurate points about reasons why car forums in general are dying and how some dynamics that drive the forums are dying because time is moving on and buyers of cars are driven by different stimulus than in the past.. more immediate gratification type of situations like facebook and reddit
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #75
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

So many people blaming it on car forums dying.

Car forums are not dying, most are as popular as ever. This one, however is dead.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #76
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I think it's also because the car is a niche product. I came from an m235i and that forum was pretty dead as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #77
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Agreed. The forums across the board seem to be less active than pre-covid. Thought it would be the opposite since now we have time to enjoy our cars more than ever.
Very little driving. I put more miles on my 20+ year old Corolla driving to pick up fast food lunches than my other three Bmws. Don't want to wear my motors for 5 minute drives.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #78
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

The M2C section is quite alive and I foresee will be alive for a long time...the S55 really alleviates the M2C onto the next level, a very desirable machine to enthusiast and to people looking for a compact 500hp RWD coupe with just a tune up
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #79
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
The M2C section is quite alive and I foresee will be alive for a long time...the S55 really alleviates the M2C onto the next level, a very desirable machine to enthusiast and to people looking for a compact 500hp RWD coupe with just a tune up
It's more active because it's newer. OG M2 been around since 2016 and went out of production for the 2019 model. F87 M2C interest will fade after 2021 and new model comes out.
Appreciate 2
OG///M1003.50
Poochie9103.00
      12-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #80
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m981addicts View Post
Very little driving. I put more miles on my 20+ year old Corolla driving to pick up fast food lunches than my other three Bmws. Don't want to wear my motors for 5 minute drives.
Take the long way home and it's a 30 min drive, better yet through the canyons

I find any chance to take the M2 out.
Appreciate 1
iiNNeX18.50
      12-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #81
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
It's more active because it's newer. OG M2 been around since 2016 and went out of production for the 2019 model. F87 M2C interest will fade after 2021 and new model comes out.
Agreed. There's really no next level, it's minimal differences that come down to preferences.

The issues S55 have with reliability and the extra tuning capability does help move the conversation along though.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #82
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbym View Post
Agreed. There's really no next level, it's minimal differences that come down to preferences.

The issues S55 have with reliability and the extra tuning capability does help move the conversation along though.
The S55 is the next level...that's what OG owners wanted on the CS or CSL but BMW gave it to the C as an Easter egg

The M2C section will be active for years to come...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #83
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

The S55 is the next level...that's what OG owners wanted on the CS or CSL but BMW gave it to the C as an Easter egg

I will take the character of my big turbo N55 all day long

I don't need a forum to keep me captivated

I never wanted the S55 engine

It sounds horrific
AndrewC198910910.50
      12-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #84
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

It sounds horrific
I agree that I am more than happy with my OG M2. Since the M2C virtually adds nothing as a daily driver I see no reason to change. If I wanted a track rat the M2C would be better but that isn’t what I want.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN15844.00
      12-12-2020, 12:21 AM   #85
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's just your opinion and what you wanted. It's not next level for everyone.
A lot of OG owners didn't want any of what M2C or CS added, so you're not speaking for them.

Like I said, active for years to come due to reliability issues, tunability, and new-to-market exhausts to fix the sound, sure.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN15844.00
specka71.00
      12-12-2020, 05:22 AM   #86
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That's just your opinion and what you wanted. It's not next level for everyone.
A lot of OG owners didn't want any of what M2C or CS added, so you're not speaking for them.

Like I said, active for years to come due to reliability issues, tunability, and new-to-market exhausts to fix the sound, sure.
The S55 was used in the M4 GT4, M4 GTS, M2 CS Racing, M3/M4 CS, M2 CS, M3/M4...all higher tier than the OG M2...BMW is speaking for me...get over it!!!

If it has reliability issue, would all the abovementioned race cars still use it? Would all the F platform special editions use it? Wouldn't there already be a class action against BMW on the S55 given the number of M3, M4 sold worldwide? Wouldn't there be tons of warranty claims to BMW through the dealers' network worldwide? Better yet, go to the M3/M4 section and see how many S55 actually got an engine reliability issue that wasn't caused by excessive tuning...

I thrash my S55 winter and summer, day in and day out, regular 7500 rpm gear changes and no reliability issues here...not even a single code...sour grape enough?

It's fine people talk about the N55 mediocre engine sounds as if it's some sort of orchestral masterpiece or just simply dislike the S55 for god know whatever reason, as they are just personal opinions. However, spilling a nonfactual statement that the S55 is unreliable is totally moronic.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 12-12-2020 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 4
StephGOD218.50
ASAP10125.00
BigKutta3892.00
      12-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #87
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The S55 was used in the M4 GT4, M4 GTS, M2 CS Racing, M3/M4 CS, M2 CS, M3/M4...all higher tier than the OG M2...BMW is speaking for me...get over it!!!

If it has reliability issue, would all the abovementioned race cars still use it? Would all the F platform special editions use it? Wouldn't there already be a class action against BMW on the S55 given the number of M3, M4 sold worldwide? Wouldn't there be tons of warranty claims to BMW through the dealers' network worldwide? Better yet, go to the M3/M4 section and see how many S55 actually got an engine reliability issue that wasn't caused by excessive tuning...

I thrash my S55 winter and summer, day in and day out, regular 7500 rpm gear changes and no reliability issues here...not even a single code...sour grape enough?

It's fine people talk about the N55 mediocre engine sounds as if it's some sort of orchestral masterpiece or just simply dislike the S55 for god know whatever reason, as they are just personal opinions. However, spilling a nonfactual statement that the S55 is unreliable is totally moronic.

What I said was all well known facts, just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it's not popular enough for it to be an issue for other people. It will continue to show up in the forum therefore making it a continued conversation whether you like it or not.

The sour grape comment is always the go to reason here isn't it? Name calling just makes you feel better about yourself?
Just because you're an owner of a particular car means you can't see things objectively?
Both cars have their strong points. I just pointed out the weak points of M2C. Doesn't mean the M2 is better or perfect.

I've seen you around here long enough to know that you're one of those that believe whatever you own currently is the best ever and won't allow anyone to state anything against it, from the 1M now to the M2C. So I'll leave this since it's the last word needed and the extra arguing is not worth responding to.

Last edited by OG///M; 12-12-2020 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #88
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It sounds horrific
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:

It sounds horrific
I agree that I am more than happy with my OG M2. Since the M2C virtually adds nothing as a daily driver I see no reason to change. If I wanted a track rat the M2C would be better but that isn't what I want.
I'm with these guys

LOVE my N55. And as someone that doesn't track, I don't need what the S55 offers in the higher RPMs. N55 low end torque better suits my use case. The sound is just an added benefit.

That said, I can see myself in an M2C in a coulple years just to experience something newer and different, so I anticipate being on these forums for years to come. There is no other car I want to be in so ya'll are stuck with me
Appreciate 3
DanG10549.00
///M TOWN15844.00
BigKutta3892.00