BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Extended Warranty, worth it?

05-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I'm set to take delivery of my 2020 M2C soon, just waiting on this frustrating airbag recall so it can finally be released from the VPC.

I'm on the fence about getting an extended warranty. I got one on my 2014 Jeep Wrangler when I bought it new, and I don't think in the last 94,000 miles I recouped the cost. I know they warranty it to a certain point because the odds are in their favor nothing will happen. I know this is a big money maker for the dealership. I've already paid MSRP for everything else, the last thing I want to do is add on to the cost.

I've been reading this forum for about a year and so far I've gathered these cars are so new still, none of them have reached that high mileage territory where things start to break.

The only thing I can think of that's a common issue with these cars is the amplifier, which seems to break randomly. Is there anything else?

What do you guys think? What did you do? Any regrets on if you did, or didn't?

Thanks ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
I'm set to take delivery of my 2020 M2C soon, just waiting on this frustrating airbag recall so it can finally be released from the VPC.

I'm on the fence about getting an extended warranty. I got one on my 2014 Jeep Wrangler when I bought it new, and I don't think in the last 94,000 miles I recouped the cost. I know they warranty it to a certain point because the odds are in their favor nothing will happen. I know this is a big money maker for the dealership. I've already paid MSRP for everything else, the last thing I want to do is add on to the cost.

I've been reading this forum for about a year and so far I've gathered these cars are so new still, none of them have reached that high mileage territory where things start to break.

The only thing I can think of that's a common issue with these cars is the amplifier, which seems to break randomly. Is there anything else?

What do you guys think? What did you do? Any regrets on if you did, or didn't?

Thanks ahead of time.
Never.

BMW knows the odds of something breaking better than you and they price the warranty accordingly. They are making a profit on it so most people who are buying it are losing. They are capitalizing off of the asymmetry if information they have vs what we have.

Warranty is like insurance. It’s to cover you for losses you can’t afford to cover yourself. If you can afford an M2 you can afford repairs in the unlikely event that you’ll have an issue.
Appreciate 4
Luongo134.00
///Cardia299.50
cptobvious2531.50
Tornado1M1203.00
      05-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Chopper731
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Look at what kind of coverage you’re getting and the price you’ll be paying. All cars have things go wrong, they all break down to some degree at some point. If you’re going to be keeping the vehicle past the factory warranty then you need to be planning for this financially one way or another. Buying an extended warranty spread throughout your monthly payments is a good way for most people to do this. Just make sure the coverage makes sense for this car and the price is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
S55s have been known to spin a crank hub here and there
Appreciate 3
M2C89407.50
EthanEJC196.50
      05-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
That's right, I forgot about that. Is that still an issue for the new cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
That's right, I forgot about that. Is that still an issue for the new cars?
Yup: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1589992

It's a pretty major design flaw and is not something that can be easily redesigned and fixed, therefore It will presumably never be properly addressed by bmw; you just have to hope it doesn't happen to you. Luckily the failure rate is pretty low and if it happens under factory warranty you'll be covered, but if you're going to be tuning your car I'd probably look into one of those aftermarket crank hub solutions.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Quote:
I'm on the fence about getting an extended warranty.
What do you guys think?
Never.
BMW knows the odds of something breaking better than you and they price the warranty accordingly. They are making a profit on it so most people who are buying it are losing. They are capitalizing off of the asymmetry if information they have vs what we have.
Warranty is like insurance. It’s to cover you for losses you can’t afford to cover yourself. If you can afford an M2 you can afford repairs in the unlikely event that you’ll have an issue.
I guess that you're overlooking the human factor. AFAIK, BMW itself and your dealership are even more appreciative about customers that walk the extra mile by getting extended warranty. If a car got extended warranty, it's usually mentioned on the worksheets each time the car is serviced (but customers normally don't get to see those docs). Beware: even with extended warranty a lot of things remain uncovered. But, it could be of influence for eventual commercial gestures granted by BMW to a dealer in favor of a customer (courtesy deals: repairs that are normally not covered, but they fix you a deal for parts and/or labor - less questions asked).

Though you may think that this aspect is arbitrary, it has value. You can use it as argument: "OK, you tell me that there is no warranty for this issue, but I'm an extended warranty customer - please ask BMW to fix me a deal."
      05-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Personally I never do the extended warranty. If you want, take the money you would have spent on the warranty and stash it away in a savings account. The changes of you having two serious repairs more than that amount are small at best. I'm going to take the money I would have spent and drop it in the stock market.
Appreciate 2
nomoracin758.00
///M Houbi1653.00
      05-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
rjtoudouze
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M2, 335, Toyota MR2

I went with Geico Mechanical Breakdown insurance for a fraction of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Quote:
I'm on the fence about getting an extended warranty.
What do you guys think?
Never.
Warranty is like insurance. It's to cover you for losses you can't afford to cover yourself. If you can afford an M2 you can afford repairs in the unlikely event that you'll have an issue.
I guess that you're overlooking the human factor. AFAIK, BMW itself and your dealership are even more appreciative about customers that walk the extra mile by getting extended warranty. If a car got extended warranty, it's usually mentioned on the worksheets each time the car is serviced (but customers normally don't get to see those docs). Beware: even with extended warranty a lot of things remain uncovered. But, it could be of influence for eventual commercial gestures granted by BMW to a dealer in favor of a customer (courtesy deals: repairs that are normally not covered, but they fix you a deal for parts and/or labor - less questions asked).

Though you may think that this aspect is arbitrary, it has value. You can use it as argument: "OK, you tell me that there is no warranty for this issue, but I'm an extended warranty customer - please ask BMW to fix me a deal."
Never thought about that. I mean with the warranty expiring after 36,000 miles that does leave us out in no mans land pretty quickly. I can see the people at the dealership being more inclined to help if I've spent more money with them, that's human nature. Good on you to recognize that. Then again, one might say you've "pre-paid" for the repairs in an event like that as well. Damn. I can see a compelling argument both for, and against.

I don't plan to do any tuning modifications to the car. I do plan to add an intake and exhaust and some other cosmetic things here and there. I'm thinking it may not be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I was torn about it too and ultimately decided not to get it...mainly because I wanted to keep the cost down (this is the most expensive car I've owned) and I didn't know how long I was going to keep it (I usually switch up cars every 1-3 years, but hoping this one will be different).
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      05-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
That's an overblown issue mainly with folks that over-boost and unreasonable dog the shit out of their vehicle.. The S55 can take a flogging without incident. It's an enhanced version of the N55 with all the right ancillaries (two turbos, two fuel pumps, ect.) which that was motor was kind of lacking. It was designed from scratch to boogie.

If the crank hub was that serious and was deemed a major design flaw, BMW wouldn't of used the same motor in their high output vehicles like the M4 CS, GTS, ect. and instead jump back to the drawing board to push out something like a S58 to replace it.

Not an M2C fanboy, just respecting the S55 for what it is and capable of..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That's an overblown issue mainly with folks that over-boost and unreasonable dog the shit out of their vehicle.. The S55 can take a flogging without incident. It's an enhanced version of the N55 with all the right ancillaries (two turbos, two fuel pumps, ect.) which that was motor was kind of lacking. It was designed from scratch to boogie.

If the crank hub was that serious and was deemed a major design flaw, BMW wouldn't of used the same motor in their high output vehicles like the M4 CS, GTS, ect. and instead jump back to the drawing board to push out something like a S58 to replace it.

I think you underestimate two things (1) the cost of switching an engine platform mid cycle (engine choices are planned years in advanced for long cycles), and (2) the willingness of a company to not fix an issue as a way of avoiding acknowledging that issue even exists.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      05-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #14
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you underestimate two things (1) the cost of switching an engine platform mid cycle (engine choices are planned years in advanced for long cycles), and (2) the willingness of a company to not fix an issue as a way of avoiding acknowledging that issue even exists.
I guess I don't but I do know there are smarter people than me that weighed in the cost/risk analysis and deemed that current S55 motor doesn't expose them to enough warranty losses to cease using it or replacing it before its scheduled shelf-life.

Someone like this guy:

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Never thought about that. I mean with the warranty expiring after 36,000 miles that does leave us out in no mans land pretty quickly. I can see the people at the dealership being more inclined to help if I've spent more money with them, that's human nature. Good on you to recognize that. Then again, one might say you've "pre-paid" for the repairs in an event like that as well. Damn. I can see a compelling argument both for, and against.
I don't plan to do any tuning modifications to the car. I do plan to add an intake and exhaust and some other cosmetic things here and there. I'm thinking it may not be worth it.
Another dilemma: if you get extended warranty you normally plan to keep the car for a longer time than the OEM warranty period. But if you decide for whatever reason to sell your car at an earlier point in time, you can legitimately claim that - unlike the vast majority of similar used cars put up for sale - yours still benefits factory warranty. Even during trade-in, the dealer cannot play the "yeah, but we got to offer warranty to the next owner" card.
      05-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I guess I don't but I do know there are smarter people than me weighed in the cost/risk analysis and deemed that current S55 motor doesn't expose them to enough warranty losses to cease using it or replacing it before its scheduled shelf-life.
Someone like this guy:
[VIDEO]
About the video ("the recall coordinator's formula"): purely by coincidence, I can repost this earlier comment here too. The reason why 'punitive damages' got 'invented' in the US: a company preferring profits over known health risks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Ah, buckle up for "Grimshaw v. Ford Motor Co." reloaded (Ford Pinto)...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsh...Ford_Motor_Co..
      05-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #17
SOM_M2C44
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 SOM M2C, '24 Dravit M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoudouze View Post
I went with Geico Mechanical Breakdown insurance for a fraction of the cost.
Bingo. I did the same thing. 7 years 100K miles. $250 deductible. I did get the extra maintenance for 3 years and the wheel and tire coverage. I live in NYC so I will more than certainly make my money back and then some on the wheel and tire. First week of ownership I already had a nail in my rear tire
natmad667.00
nomoracin758.00
      05-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #18
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

When did the warranty get shortened to 36k? Thought it was 50k?

And, buy the warranty if you want it, but wait until 6 months before expiration- don't get it now. Lots of things can happen between now and then. No need to tie your money up early.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #19
Chopper731
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post

And, buy the warranty if you want it, but wait until 6 months before expiration- don't get it now. Lots of things can happen between now and then. No need to tie your money up early.
It didn’t. It is 4 years or 50,000 miles here in the US. Maybe others are referring to different countries?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #20
SOM_M2C44
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 SOM M2C, '24 Dravit M4

Quote:

3yrs 36K is the included maintenance. Warranty is still 4yrs 50K.
      05-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #21
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO_M2C44 View Post
Quote:

3yrs 36K is the included maintenance. Warranty is still 4yrs 50K.
Yeah, whoops! My mixup.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #22
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
Personally I never do the extended warranty. If you want, take the money you would have spent on the warranty and stash it away in a savings account. The changes of you having two serious repairs more than that amount are small at best. I'm going to take the money I would have spent and drop it in the stock market.
I like this idea!
Appreciate 0