BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > New here ...

12-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #1
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 OG DCT

New here ...

M2 DCT - OG - Long Beach Blue - Sept. 2017

Sixteen months and 10k miles into ownership

Previous marque history - E36 328i Coupe - X3 3.0d - Alpina B10 V8 Touring

Grateful thanks to a local owner of same that passes by ... I just had to investigate that exhaust note

Standard car, no intention for any modification

Issues to date - a broken rear OS coil spring and an oil leak from the diff. temperature sensor - The coil breakage took out the wheel speed sensor cable - All was covered by the Insured Warranty (more on this at a later date)

Thank you for all the useful information on here ...
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      12-23-2023, 11:04 PM   #2
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Welcome! Many wishes for many great drives to come for you!

I’ve also learned a great deal from this community. It’s one of the friendlier and inviting online automobile communities I’ve come across.
Appreciate 1
Andrew2180.00
      12-27-2023, 10:49 AM   #3
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep

Amusing story ...

When I first had the car I checked for folding rear seat-backs, nothing in the limited paper manual - no levers a la VAG models. Thought it must have been an unticked option

Until ... when recently loading the boot for a trip I noticed the `levers` below the parcel shelf
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 04:02 PM   #4
M2CompKenny
Rep
Drives: M2C LBB

The rear seat release handle position is a bit different. I guess it makes any items left in the boot more secure though!
      02-10-2024, 03:09 AM   #5
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep

Why an OG ?

Prior to purchase and not having ever driven one I did a lot of research into which M2 to get, albeit with an already dislike for the Competition`s rear end ... why is that rear silencer such a prominent part ... and a `love` for the OG`s exhaust note

Aesthetics aside, I found quite a few articles - reports - documents on the evolution - design of the chassis and the N55 unit ... impressive

For some reason I tend to prefer the initial - earlier versions of `hot` cars, I have a Mk1 Golf (Rabbit) GTI and a B5 S4 Avant plus at the time of the M2 purchase a 981 GT4 - since sold

The M2 was to replace a `21` FK8 Civic Type R, which had replaced a `20` Focus ST (2.3l Mustang lump) ... both decent cars but tainted by crap steering and limited quality components - constituents

I wanted a DCT having had a 981 Cayman S PDK prior to the 981 GT4

Viewed a local dealer OG in Grey, my preferred colour ... car was sitting unloved and unprepared in amongst their huge used stock. Salesman was less than enthusiastic - communicative hence I moved on

One hundred miles South, found this Long Beach Blue example. On line advert had it looking good and prominently positioned on the forecourt (lot) ... promising. On arrival found the car superbly presented, a more enthusiastic salesman hence took my first M2 drive - experience

As with three previous `used` Cayman`s, the first impression was superb - it felt soooo right hence home it came

My favourite M2 video by my favourite automotive journalist

Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      02-14-2024, 11:39 AM   #6
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep

Front puncture last weekend, too near the sidewall to repair hence a new Pilot Super Sport fitted today

Opposite tyre tread depth is 6mm to 7mm hence did not change that

Invoice tyre description included the term `FSL` ? ... checked with Michelin and it refers to - Flat Spot Limiting - a design feature to counteract the effects of extended car storage intervals ... first time that I have seen this term - fact
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:06 AM   #7
Scottyp712
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 competition

Garage List
How much did u pay for the tyre, as looking at changing my front 2x tyres soon n am looking at all options
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:28 AM   #8
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep

I used Halfords, was initially offered at £242 when ordered but then I checked others and found Blackcircles at £235 .... Halfords price matched without question

Prices are all inclusive

NB. ... Halfords advertise that they `will not be beaten` on price hence shop around and test them out
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 04:28 PM   #9
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
Front puncture last weekend, too near the sidewall to repair hence a new Pilot Super Sport fitted today

Opposite tyre tread depth is 6mm to 7mm hence did not change that

Invoice tyre description included the term `FSL` ? ... checked with Michelin and it refers to - Flat Spot Limiting - a design feature to counteract the effects of extended car storage intervals ... first time that I have seen this term - fact

Any reason you went for MSS over MP4s?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 04:39 PM   #10
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep

Yes ...

Too tight to purchase two new tyres when only needing one

Having used MPS4S on a few previous cars I find them `soft` in the sidewall. the MPSS has a superb `firm` feel, reminds me of MPS Cup 2`s

If changing to MPS4S I should probably do the rears first, currently on 5mm

EDIT ... the PS4S * marked rear is not available here

Last edited by Andrew2; 02-16-2024 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:56 PM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyc66 View Post
Any reason you went for MSS over MP4s?
I agree, PSS is a better tyre for what I want than than MP4S.

Even Michelins own words set the PS4S as a more comfort biased "all rounder" HP tyre. Also that’s what good reviews like evo say. PS4S is a step back for handling / summer use.

I went for Pilot Sport Cup2s in the end, flipping awesome..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:59 PM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
Yes ...

Too tight to purchase two new tyres when only needing one

Having used MPS4S on a few previous cars I find them `soft` in the sidewall. the MPSS has a superb `firm` feel, reminds me of MPS Cup 2`s

If changing to MPS4S I should probably do the rears first, currently on 5mm

EDIT ... the PS4S * marked rear is not available here
Yes, Ps4S hasn't been BMW developed / approved in our sizes. If you find one it will be a size crossover with another newer model.

Sure it wont make much difference though...

PS I just sell my odd tyres / part worns on ebay, you'd be amazed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:16 PM   #13
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep

Regards the * marking ... unlike Porsche`s N rating BMW`s * rating does not appear to affect their Insured Warranty ... no matter I am happy to continue to run the MPSS

I recently spoke to the tyre dealer that I use for most of my purchases and all of my alignment work. He is well qualified in the industry and has an elevated Michelin approval, we discussed the MPSS and MPS4S ... the technical differences between them are huge, composition - construction etc... he did offer that the MPSS has a huge following hence it`s continued production

Agreed - Cup 2`s are excellent, I have run the MPS4S on track and they held up well (not on a BMW)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:39 AM   #14
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep

That’s fair enough.

I went for the MP4s for a ‘everyday tyre’ as I still enjoy driving the car during the winter and even if it’s raining.

I also have a 2nd set of wheels which I hve cup2s on for when I do trackdays.
It’s good cause you can really tell the difference between them. Plus sides to the 4’s are noise and comfort but for pure out grip and feed back the cup wins hands down but is noisy and wears that bit quicker.
Im guessing the SS is inbetween both which for some is a good al l rounder.

Also I have run the 4s on a td. . (Weather forecast was looking like rain so kept it on) and typical it dried out in the afternoon and I def felt I was at the limit of the tyre and didn’t give me as much confidence as when on the cup2’s
Appreciate 1
Andrew2180.00
      02-21-2024, 01:59 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Yeah mines become a bit of a garage queen, cup 2s are fine in the wet, its the cold when theyre poor. I dont track it at all.

The PSS were also not great in wet/cold not suprising really!

If i used it every day the PS4S would be hard to beat all round I think.
Appreciate 1
Andrew2180.00
      02-21-2024, 05:12 AM   #16
Scottyp712
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
My car has the 265 on back n 245 on fronts, I take it that’s standard in the m2 comp, the Michelins from new I think
So all 4 need changing but the rears first,im struggling atm with price, and what I need for what I use the car for,
I don’t go on long journeys or track etc, its basically a poser car just for round town etc, so putting tyres on around £300 a piece doesn’t make no sense to me,
What is a good tyre around the £200ish mark, are Uni Royal Tyres any good? The 3 or 5’s? I no there part of the Michelin group, also Toyo tyres?
I don’t need the best of the best tyres as around my area the amount of pot holes we have is a joke,
Are mid range tyres any good?
Just like some advice
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 07:32 AM   #17
M2CompKenny
Rep
Drives: M2C LBB

It sounds like you currently have the standard fitment of tyre. Sticking with the Michelin option will never be the cheapest, but they do wear well considering the grip on offer, so although they may be more expensive up front they generally last longer than cheaper options.

The other thing to consider is why compromise the ability of the car by fitting substandard tyres. Not only do they provide cornering grip they also allow you to take full advantage of the brakes, which could be the difference between being able to stop and not.

There are cheaper options for most parts, but when it comes to tyres is it worth the saving? I'd be looking at PS4S as mentioned above.
      02-22-2024, 01:00 AM   #18
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp712 View Post
My car has the 265 on back n 245 on fronts, I take it that’s standard in the m2 comp, the Michelins from new I think
So all 4 need changing but the rears first,im struggling atm with price, and what I need for what I use the car for,
I don’t go on long journeys or track etc, its basically a poser car just for round town etc, so putting tyres on around £300 a piece doesn’t make no sense to me,
What is a good tyre around the £200ish mark, are Uni Royal Tyres any good? The 3 or 5’s? I no there part of the Michelin group, also Toyo tyres?
I don’t need the best of the best tyres as around my area the amount of pot holes we have is a joke,
Are mid range tyres any good?
Just like some advice
Your tyre is one of the most important part of the car IMO.
I would only ever get a decent high end brand even if I was doing what you have stated you are.

Also another thing to mention is when it comes to resell (maybe it’s only me) one of the first thing I look at is 1. If a decent brand of tyres have been fitted and 2. If they are all matching.
If said person isn’t cutting corners on tyres, what are the going to cut corners or servicings etc.

When I go to car meets/coffee meets I think it’s quite funny to see someone saying ooo look at my 500hp car then has a set of ‘landsail’ budget tyres fitted to there car
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:27 AM   #19
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep

I agree, although the industry is improving at some of the price points just under the premium brands

Our family has used non premium brands, some inherited through purchase - after initial research and others on the recommendation of a trusted tyre supplier albeit not on higher end & sports cars

If not already, have a look through some suitable material in the following links

https://www.tyrereviews.com/

https://www.youtube.com/@tyrereviews
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 03:13 AM   #20
Scottyp712
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Yeh I get ur points, but I’m not looking at budget tyres, but maybe better value tyres then the Michelin. There’s so many these days which just seem such better value, we got a place near me that sells Nexen tyres (who sponsor Man City) there meant be good, or anyone tried Hancook?
Toyo is a Chinese brand meant to be good value but high end,
Kumho tyres that I think sponsor or used sponsor Chelsea fc,
And imo the Michelin tyres the car comes with are crap anyway, I’m all over the place in the rain with them,
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:46 AM   #21
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep

All those brands are `up there` in the marketplace and well worth a look, you need to find a decent review from a personal experience ... somewhere

Tyres raced - promoted are not always `up there` for road performance as it depends how the companies have transferred their learning - knowledge back to the road product

Michelin are `ace` for development this way, I have followed their science, development and products through Race - Rally - Endurance Race ...

I like the edginess of the MPSS and even the MPS Cup 2`s in poor conditions, choosing a DCT over a manual fed in to that perspective

Let us know what you eventually choose
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:35 AM   #22
Scottyp712
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I’ve actually just got some part worn continental sport contact 6 for the front
Both with 6mm tread for £80 delivered

So just after the rears now
Never done it this way before but I’m willing to see n give a go by the huge savings on a the tyres
Appreciate 0