BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Lithium battery for M2c?

02-25-2022, 04:43 AM   #45
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
EEYANG,
Be careful, I remember adjusting my Battery level using Bimmercode.

I very quickly got some weird codes. Went back to OEM and all is well.
+1
Because bimmercode cannot code the battery size correctly. To do it properly you need bimmer link or ISTA to properly register the battery to a lower amp hour rating, then you may (I can't remember if it is needed) need to finalize it with coding and that is where bimmer code or esys would come into place.
      02-27-2022, 10:26 PM   #46
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
+1
Because bimmercode cannot code the battery size correctly. To do it properly you need bimmer link or ISTA to properly register the battery to a lower amp hour rating, then you may (I can't remember if it is needed) need to finalize it with coding and that is where bimmer code or esys would come into place.
I think the order of operations (at least according to the bimmerlink app) is to set the desired AH and battery type in bimmercode first, then use bimmerlink to register it.

I emailed anti-gravity asking what AH/battery-type I should register under, but didn't get a response. I'm guessing registering as AGM should be fine (since that is what "stock" behavior would be).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 11:19 PM   #47
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
I think the order of operations (at least according to the bimmerlink app) is to set the desired AH and battery type in bimmercode first, then use bimmerlink to register it.

I emailed anti-gravity asking what AH/battery-type I should register under, but didn't get a response. I'm guessing registering as AGM should be fine (since that is what "stock" behavior would be).
Yeah I am not 100% sure what the order of operations should be as I have not done it myself.

In terms of charging mode I am not sure either.

Yeah Anti grav has some pretty crap customer service imo, I emailed them awhile back with some questions and they never got back to me. So if I were to get a lithium battery it would be from lithumax in australia, their customer service was really really good.
      03-01-2022, 01:49 AM   #48
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I am not 100% sure what the order of operations should be as I have not done it myself.

In terms of charging mode I am not sure either.

Yeah Anti grav has some pretty crap customer service imo, I emailed them awhile back with some questions and they never got back to me. So if I were to get a lithium battery it would be from lithumax in australia, their customer service was really really good.
Glad to hear I'm not alone in dealing with their crappy customer service lol. I am considering buying from lithumax, unfortunately they're more expensive than AG when accounting for shipping ($369 ), and it's not a drop in replacement like AG (have to buy or print the base plate, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 02:36 AM   #49
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear I'm not alone in dealing with their crappy customer service lol. I am considering buying from lithumax, unfortunately they're more expensive than AG when accounting for shipping ($369 ), and it's not a drop in replacement like AG (have to buy or print the base plate, etc.)
Yeah it wasn't great dealing with AG, personally that experience drove me away forever, especially since those batteries aren't cheap.

Really? Last time I checked I recall shipping to be reasonably priced, maybe contact lithumax and see what's up. Yes that's true you need their bracket as well, but again iirc the last time I priced it out it was a bit cheaper than AG. Even if it was the same or a bit more is rather buy from lithumax because they actually have customer service. Also iirc (you gotta double check to make sure) when I talked to the guys at lithumax and they said their charging circuits are smart enough to be able to deal with normal agm charging voltages so the battery doesn't need to be coded, and it can utilize standard AGM battery tenders. So no need to buy a lithium battery tender if you don't want to, but I'd recommend getting one anyways just in case.
      03-01-2022, 03:48 AM   #50
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it wasn't great dealing with AG, personally that experience drove me away forever, especially since those batteries aren't cheap.

Really? Last time I checked I recall shipping to be reasonably priced, maybe contact lithumax and see what's up. Yes that's true you need their bracket as well, but again iirc the last time I priced it out it was a bit cheaper than AG. Even if it was the same or a bit more is rather buy from lithumax because they actually have customer service. Also iirc (you gotta double check to make sure) when I talked to the guys at lithumax and they said their charging circuits are smart enough to be able to deal with normal agm charging voltages so the battery doesn't need to be coded, and it can utilize standard AGM battery tenders. So no need to buy a lithium battery tender if you don't want to, but I'd recommend getting one anyways just in case.
Yeah, I'll reach out to ask about the shipping, cause I can't see how shipping a 4 kg battery would be $369 lol.

So does that mean you have yours coded to pretty much OEM settings (80 AH AGM)?

And yep, I do intend on getting a lithium battery tender if needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #51
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'll reach out to ask about the shipping, cause I can't see how shipping a 4 kg battery would be $369 lol.

So does that mean you have yours coded to pretty much OEM settings (80 AH AGM)?

And yep, I do intend on getting a lithium battery tender if needed.
No I am still on the stock battery, I never ended up buying one, I intend to at some point but not now.

I'd ask lithumax on what they would suggest to code the car to.
eeyang92318.50
      03-18-2022, 04:12 PM   #52
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Just an update, AG finally got back me:

Quote:
Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize for the late reply.

Generally, coding will not be required, and a couple of key cycles will allow the car to adjust the charging system automatically. But if prompted to code the battery in, just use the closest AGM Ah option (70).
So it doesn't sound like it doesn't particularly matter.

I still need to reach out to lithumax to see what's up with the shipping price. I've kind of put it off a bit since I just checked my battery health via Bimmerlink it says 60% (after letting the car sit for a day after driving), so it's not quite dead yet even after 4 years.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      03-18-2022, 04:37 PM   #53
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

AG has monitored batteries with and without registration and claims that their batteries do not require registration and has not seen any cell degradation doing so.

We still register and change battery type (if needed) when installing. Better safe than sorry.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
CSBM52722.50
      03-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #54
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I still need to reach out to lithumax to see what's up with the shipping price. I've kind of put it off a bit since I just checked my battery health via Bimmerlink it says 60% (after letting the car sit for a day after driving), so it's not quite dead yet even after 4 years.
Man AG takes forever to reply, for me they never actually replied so not a fan of them.

But it is good to hear the stock battery is relatively tough, that's always good. I should probably also check my battery's health because my car is about 5.5 almost 6 years old now.
      03-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #55
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Man AG takes forever to reply, for me they never actually replied so not a fan of them.

But it is good to hear the stock battery is relatively tough, that's always good. I should probably also check my battery's health because my car is about 5.5 almost 6 years old now.
We did a lot of the testing for AG before releasing the BMW applications. Most of their BMW inquiries are forwarded to us, but nothing is outstanding from what I'm aware of.

Let me know if there is any questions left unanswered and I'll do my best to help. Direct email is always best.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 03-18-2022 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      03-18-2022, 05:31 PM   #56
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We did a lot of the testing for AG before releasing the BMW applications. Most of their BMW inquiries are forwarded to us, but nothing is outstanding from what I'm aware of.

Let me know if there is any questions left unanswered and I'll do my best to help.
Thanks again Tom, but I'm going to go the route of lithumax when I grab a new battery (probably going to be soon as mine is getting up there in age) I'm just not a fan of their customer service that I personally experienced a couple years ago, and from what I can see here has not improved. It doesn't bode well for me because what if I were to require support after a purchase or if I need warranty. I'm not willing to wait around for someone to reply especially if I were to have to fork over the steep asking price of the battery, for the price I expect decent customer service. I would excuse their customer service if the price was so much cheaper than the competition but it's not. If I look at lithumax they reply nearly instantly, and at the worst case scenario within the same day and they're on the other side of the planet.

To me customer service is everything, and that's how you earn my business. That's why I keep saying bms is one of the best vendors for BMW, they have the best customer service I have ever experienced.
tom @ eas8209.00
      03-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #57
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Thanks again Tom, but I'm going to go the route of lithumax when I grab a new battery (probably going to be soon as mine is getting up there in age) I'm just not a fan of their customer service that I experienced a couple years ago, and from what I can see has not improved. It doesn't bode well for me because what if I were to require support after a purchase or if I need warranty. I'm not willing to wait around for someone to reply especially if I were to have to fork over the steep asking price of the battery, for the price I expect decent customer service. I would excuse their customer service if the price was so much cheaper than the competition but it's not. If I look at lithumax they reply nearly instantly, and at the worst case scenario within the same day and they're on the other side of the planet.

To me customer service is everything, and that's how you earn my business. That's why I keep saying bms is one of the best vendors for BMW, they have the best customer service I have ever experienced.
I agree. If you had purchased from us, I guarantee your AG experience would have been much different.

IMHO, you'll always get better response times (and responses) from tuners rather than manufacturers. We even help with the warranty process if needed (haven't had one on AG yet) because that's what we feel is right. Customer support is important before and after the sale. This is what separates us from the dropship-only/discount house companies carrying 1000s of brands and ignoring the aftersales support.

Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
inTgr8r2431.50
      03-18-2022, 05:48 PM   #58
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I agree. If you had purchased from us, I guarantee your AG experience would have been much different.

IMHO, you'll always get better response times (and responses) from tuners rather than manufacturers. We even help with the warranty process if needed (haven't had one on AG yet) because that's what we feel is right. Customer support is important before and after the sale. This is what separates us from the dropship-only/discount house companies carrying 1000s of brands and ignoring the aftersales support.
Thanks Tom I appreciate it, and I appreciate you and EAS, but at this stage I have made up my mind.

There's also the concern of technical questions that you may not know and require the help of the manufacturer if that were to ever occur and customer service is still flaky it would be annoying to me. This has happened before when I purchased something from a reputable reseller but it was a nightmare dealing with the manufacturer so I prefer to have good communication from both parties just in case. With lithumax I'm speaking to an engineer and all the information passed to me is 100% verified and there is no question they can't answer and no guessing or delay is taking place (no one has to relay communication for me etc), and I really appreciate that.
      03-19-2022, 12:22 PM   #59
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks again Tom, but I'm going to go the route of lithumax when I grab a new battery (probably going to be soon as mine is getting up there in age) I'm just not a fan of their customer service that I experienced a couple years ago, and from what I can see has not improved. It doesn't bode well for me because what if I were to require support after a purchase or if I need warranty. I'm not willing to wait around for someone to reply especially if I were to have to fork over the steep asking price of the battery, for the price I expect decent customer service. I would excuse their customer service if the price was so much cheaper than the competition but it's not. If I look at lithumax they reply nearly instantly, and at the worst case scenario within the same day and they're on the other side of the planet.

This is why I bought my antigravity battery from you Tom and not somewhere else. AG was very slow to get back to me when I had questions but EAS has always been responsive, and they're also active on the forums.
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8209.00
      12-16-2022, 12:43 AM   #60
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
+1
Just wanted to provide an update now that I have an AG battery (sourced from EAS) - I was able to code it as 40 AH AGM via BimmerCode and then registered it via BimmerLink with 0 issues (so far ). I also installed the AG bluetooth battery monitor.

I drive my car maybe once a week and cold starts are extremely strong each time.

Regarding battery life - from AG's website:

Quote:
. On the lower end of the voltage range the battery should be put on a charger if the battery voltage drops below the 12.5V range while sitting. The voltage should not be allowed to drop below 11V while at rest. Permanent damage may occur below 11 volts.
SoC chart here: https://octopusasia.com/battery-soc-to-voltage-chart/

As I haven't seen it drop below 13.25V yet, I'm probably somewhere around 80% state of charge after a week - so extrapolating out, I would probably need to drive the car (or have it charged) at least once a month, which isn't an issue.

Oh, and the weight savings of the 40AH is pretty nice as well.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the new battery. Hopefully the info above is useful for those thinking about getting a smaller than OEM capacity lithium battery.
Appreciate 3
F87source7251.50
CSBM52722.50
tom @ eas8209.00
      12-16-2022, 02:40 AM   #61
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
This is the latest & greatest from lithiumax, absolutely amazing specs 1000ca, 6kg, no brackets etc required.
Have purchased 3 x lithium batteries from these guys over the years, including 2 for my track cars that only start about once a month, never had to charge or jump, simply fit & forget, it’s that easy.

https://www.lithiumax.com.au/product...rt10-bluetooth
F87source7251.50
      12-16-2022, 05:38 PM   #62
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Just wanted to provide an update now that I have an AG battery (sourced from EAS) - I was able to code it as 40 AH AGM via BimmerCode and then registered it via BimmerLink with 0 issues (so far ). I also installed the AG bluetooth battery monitor.

I drive my car maybe once a week and cold starts are extremely strong each time.

Regarding battery life - from AG's website:

SoC chart here: https://octopusasia.com/battery-soc-to-voltage-chart/

As I haven't seen it drop below 13.25V yet, I'm probably somewhere around 80% state of charge after a week - so extrapolating out, I would probably need to drive the car (or have it charged) at least once a month, which isn't an issue.

Oh, and the weight savings of the 40AH is pretty nice as well.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the new battery. Hopefully the info above is useful for those thinking about getting a smaller than OEM capacity lithium battery.
Appreciate the review, the Antigravity Battery Monitors are a pretty neat tool to have - I even use them on my other vehicles and motorcycle.

Appreciate 0