BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > GTS hood recommendations?

11-07-2022, 08:08 PM   #67
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
does anyone know if the eBay ones are the same as Suvneer ? I got quoted $750 for an aluminum one, shipping from California with free shipping insurance. I'm assuming all of the hoods are the same thing and Suvneer is just doing a resell

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15519478880...#38;media=COPY
It's rumored that they all come from the same place, but then again, I've heard horror stories, so I got mine from Suvneer. To me a few hundred dollars isn't much to spend to make sure it's right. But I also try to buy as little as possible from ebay, and consider it the trash of the selling world.
yea I agree but it seems promising with the free shipping insurance and like you said it's probably all the same
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 09:43 AM   #68
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
yea I agree but it seems promising with the free shipping insurance and like you said it's probably all the same
Just remember, to look at the hood isn't enough, you really need to have it shipped directly to the body shop you're going to use and have them fit it to your car to see how off it is before keeping it.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      11-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #69
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Just remember, to look at the hood isn't enough, you really need to have it shipped directly to the body shop you're going to use and have them fit it to your car to see how off it is before keeping it.
true, I know a good shop that my buddy works at. he said I should skip the carbon since it's harder to adjust the fitment.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #70
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
true, I know a good shop that my buddy works at. he said I should skip the carbon since it's harder to adjust the fitment.
He's right, and even BMW can't get their carbon right. If you want a great carbon hood you need to buy a CS from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #71
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
He's right, and even BMW can't get their carbon right. If you want a great carbon hood you need to buy a CS from the factory.
sheesh, maybe I'll just stick to the aluminum. I was waiting to see if Suvneer is going to have a sale on their hood, if not I think imma just go through with the ebay one lol
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #72
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
sheesh, maybe I'll just stick to the aluminum. I was waiting to see if Suvneer is going to have a sale on their hood, if not I think imma just go through with the ebay one lol
I've seen people get lucky with eBay stuff, many times. Then again, I've seen the opposite.

Vicky Ku on FB that sells a lot of these had this to say...

"And at least the hoods I’m getting are from Taiwan, not China. There are different qualities I can guarantee this. We’ve seen the difference. Never had issues with them. But if you get from China I’m not sure, I see some with a huge gaps."

I asked her about the Suvneer hood and she said it was from China.

"You know there’s are lots of different manufactures that make these hoods right? Not only one. So you can’t really find the best one out of it. There are many suppliers that made this hood and mostly are from China. In Taiwan there’s only a few. But I never get from China anymore. We have our own supplier and manufacturer in Taiwan."

Not sure I believe everything she is saying, but it's plausible that there is more than one manufacturer.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      11-08-2022, 02:49 PM   #73
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
I've seen people get lucky with eBay stuff, many times. Then again, I've seen the opposite.

Vicky Ku on FB that sells a lot of these had this to say...

"And at least the hoods I’m getting are from Taiwan, not China. There are different qualities I can guarantee this. We’ve seen the difference. Never had issues with them. But if you get from China I’m not sure, I see some with a huge gaps."

I asked her about the Suvneer hood and she said it was from China.

"You know there’s are lots of different manufactures that make these hoods right? Not only one. So you can’t really find the best one out of it. There are many suppliers that made this hood and mostly are from China. In Taiwan there’s only a few. But I never get from China anymore. We have our own supplier and manufacturer in Taiwan."

Not sure I believe everything she is saying, but it's plausible that there is more than one manufacturer.
damn I honestly might just pay the extra dollar for Suvneer then multiple manufactures got me hella scared to buy off ebay. prob not worth the risk. only reason I'm trying to stay cheap is because I'm in college right now, and I pay for all my mods and car payments.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #74
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
just got sent this message from an ebay seller
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 06:32 PM   #75
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
damn I honestly might just pay the extra dollar for Suvneer then multiple manufactures got me hella scared to buy off ebay. prob not worth the risk. only reason I'm trying to stay cheap is because I'm in college right now, and I pay for all my mods and car payments.
Aren't you the guy that has $15K in motor mods? lol

Take a chance, it's only time, sounds like they will help you with the damage claim.

My issue isn't about shipping damage though, it's about the edges/gaps fitting properly. That's not damage, so make sure you specify that if you're not happy with the fitment they will pick it back up and give you a 100% refund promptly.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:44 PM   #76
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Aren't you the guy that has $15K in motor mods? lol

Take a chance, it's only time, sounds like they will help you with the damage claim.

My issue isn't about shipping damage though, it's about the edges/gaps fitting properly. That's not damage, so make sure you specify that if you're not happy with the fitment they will pick it back up and give you a 100% refund promptly.
I'm sure fitment will be the same honestly and yea I bought my car with a lot of the performance already on it. the big turbo kit was pre installed but needed some rerouting done, wastegate fix, LPFP top hat fixed, and regular maintenance. the things I added were an intercooler, intake, stage 2 HPFP, external dual port BOV, turbo and manifold blankets, intake manifold, flex fuel parts, wheels and tires, bootmod3, and a custom tune.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-09-2022, 12:09 AM   #77
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Suvneer just contacted me back about Black Friday and they told me that they will be running a 20% discount during Black Friday and Cyber Monday !
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-09-2022, 04:52 PM   #78
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

suvneer is great. I had an issue with a lip I bought and they fixed it immediately, quick communication, very happy, will buy from them again.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
shaneguags1192.50
      11-09-2022, 07:07 PM   #79
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
suvneer is great. I had an issue with a lip I bought and they fixed it immediately, quick communication, very happy, will buy from them again.
awesome ! can't wait
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21819.00
      11-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #80
ninjagaiden
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ap2 S2000

i notice almost no one runs latches on these. I understand they are aluminum and latches kinda look corny on a daily driven car....anyone have issues with running non latched?

would hate for the hood to fly up while cruising on the highway or worse
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 10:01 PM   #81
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Thailand company called Cobra Advanced Composites looks like they make some or the new carbon stuff for G8x.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 08:06 AM   #82
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Thailand company called Cobra Advanced Composites looks like they make some or the new carbon stuff for G8x.
I would have loved to have a carbon hood, but it has to be made to a fantastic level to fit properly (since it can't be worked like metal), and to last. Waste of money usually, unless you're going to paint it, and then the fitment just isn't going to be there probably.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #83
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I would have loved to have a carbon hood, but it has to be made to a fantastic level to fit properly (since it can't be worked like metal), and to last. Waste of money usually, unless you're going to paint it, and then the fitment just isn't going to be there probably.
not to mention with carbon you really should have hood latches and I don't think you could stomach those
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #84
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
not to mention with carbon you really should have hood latches and I don't think you could stomach those
yea I'd be mad skeptical without them. pretty sure the carbon hoods are like 16lbs, which is insanely light
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #85
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeah, that would be a bad day having your hood fly off your car on the highway or the track
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      11-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #86
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
yeah, that would be a bad day having your hood fly off your car on the highway or the track
imagine
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      11-25-2022, 08:23 AM   #87
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
yea I'd be mad skeptical without them. pretty sure the carbon hoods are like 16lbs, which is insanely light
I haven't found the exact weights of the hoods, but supposedly the stock hood is 55 lbs, the Suvneer GTS hood is 25 lbs, and the CS hood is 16 lbs. For the cost/workability/look/weight I think aluminum is the clear winner.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #88
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't found the exact weights of the hoods, but supposedly the stock hood is 55 lbs, the Suvneer GTS hood is 25 lbs, and the CS hood is 16 lbs. For the cost/workability/look/weight I think aluminum is the clear winner.
on Suvneer's website it says the OEM is 36.6lbs and the aluminum is 16.3lbs
Appreciate 0