BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Share your Journey

11-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #2179
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

My 2021 M2C showed up at the dealership this morning. So six days total from the ship docking at the port to dealership. Only thing I had done at the port was the stainless steel pedals.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
///AVM2529.50
j23654.50
CFO277.00
BigKutta3903.50
RJD851128.00
      11-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #2180
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Congrats. Mine looked exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:55 PM   #2181
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

[QUOTE=W///;26918249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I'd probably do the same if reliability were equal between the cars. But I dunno, I had a friend who was all excited to buy an M3 and then she spent her entire tenure with the car worrying about rod bearings and never revving it out.

But in theory I'd probably ditch a bunch of torque if it meant making peak power at 8k rpm and getting to hear V8 sounds. Revving cars out is fun. Like you I blame my formative years, Hondas and Toyotas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

This is where I'd like to step in and talk about the E9x M3. I've had mine for I think about 8 years now and it's easily been the best car I've ever had. I constantly see people wrongly terrified of E9x M3 ownership.

I'd like to clear up a few things:
- I'm not saying rod bearings are not a problem, but I'm on 93k miles with original bearings. There are guys with 150k on original rod bearings. It costs around $2-2500k to get them replaced with ones with bigger clearances. If you cannot afford this, you don't need to be driving a used M. I own an E36 M3 and Z4M Roadster and I have no doubt they could easily eat that much in repairs any day of the week. I don't understand the point of being so scared of not revving it out. This would be the equivalent of owning an M2C out of warranty and being scared to rev it out and spin the crankhub. Either fix it or sell it

- I was actually the one who wrote the DIY to replace the TB on the S65. First one failed at 60k miles, second at 85k miles. I wish I could charge people $3500 to 5k to replace Brand new part costs about $800 last time I checked, and you could easily just buy uprated gears for far less than that (I went with FCP Euro, because it's a lifetime warranty).

I'd absolutely recommend anyone to go drive them and see for yourself, and that ownership is not V10 levels of scary. From my side, I've mentioned in quite a few threads now that I'm falling head over heels for an LBB M2C. My goal is to wait to see what the G87 is like, but if I move into this platform, it'll be without a warranty like all my other M cars. It's OK, it builds character

P.S. There is nothing, and I mean nothing like the S65 as you approach redline at 8400 RPM. This engine could easily live in something far more expensive like a Ferrari or Porsche and be completely at home.
I came from an 08 E90 M3 and i echo your sentiments. I had 90k miles on mine with original bearings. I did an oil analysis every oil change and never saw any cause for concern, so i never was concerned. I certainly revved it out any chance I had.

The thing I miss most about the car was the sound though. I had Akrapovic full race exhaust and it'll probably be the best sounding car I ever own.
Appreciate 3
CSBM52722.50
Poochie9104.50
W///7494.00
      11-21-2020, 12:52 AM   #2182
M2COD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
My 2021 M2C showed up at the dealership this morning. So six days total from the ship docking at the port to dealership. Only thing I had done at the port was the stainless steel pedals.
Awesome, congrats! Mine hit port last Sat and I can only hope it gets here soon
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #2183
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

So I seem to recall someone on this thread mentioned that the emergency collision alert activated while driving on an empty road. Well guess what? It happened to me as well yesterday. Driving in the early afternoon on a two lane road, clear day. All of a sudden, the red car outline indicator came on my car and I felt the car brake hard twice. Not a complete full brake to a stop, but definitely jarring for a moment. Weird as there were no obstacles ahead of me...

Other than that, I'm still loving the drive!
j23654.50
      11-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #2184
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
This is where I'd like to step in and talk about the E9x M3. I've had mine for I think about 8 years now and it's easily been the best car I've ever had. I constantly see people wrongly terrified of E9x M3 ownership.

I'd like to clear up a few things:
- I'm not saying rod bearings are not a problem, but I'm on 93k miles with original bearings. There are guys with 150k on original rod bearings. It costs around $2-2500k to get them replaced with ones with bigger clearances. If you cannot afford this, you don't need to be driving a used M. I own an E36 M3 and Z4M Roadster and I have no doubt they could easily eat that much in repairs any day of the week. I don't understand the point of being so scared of not revving it out. This would be the equivalent of owning an M2C out of warranty and being scared to rev it out and spin the crankhub. Either fix it or sell it

- I was actually the one who wrote the DIY to replace the TB on the S65. First one failed at 60k miles, second at 85k miles. I wish I could charge people $3500 to 5k to replace Brand new part costs about $800 last time I checked, and you could easily just buy uprated gears for far less than that (I went with FCP Euro, because it's a lifetime warranty).

I'd absolutely recommend anyone to go drive them and see for yourself, and that ownership is not V10 levels of scary. From my side, I've mentioned in quite a few threads now that I'm falling head over heels for an LBB M2C. My goal is to wait to see what the G87 is like, but if I move into this platform, it'll be without a warranty like all my other M cars. It's OK, it builds character

P.S. There is nothing, and I mean nothing like the S65 as you approach redline at 8400 RPM. This engine could easily live in something far more expensive like a Ferrari or Porsche and be completely at home.
As a prior E92 M3 owner, I completely agree. The S65 is a truly special motor and revving it out is an event. I used to get on the freeway and take every exit so that I could launch it down the on ramp just to hear the motor. The S55, by comparison, is powerful but pedestrian. I own two S55 (F80 M3 and M2 comp), so hopefully I am allowed to say that.

Last edited by scoale; 11-21-2020 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #2185
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I too am soon starting year 8 of owning the E90 M3, and so far it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Zero warranty claims and no claims in follow-in 2 year CPO period. It has only required two things since I've owned it: a new battery and a ccv valve that is inline with a hose (easy fix, did trip the CEL). It gets the royal treatment most of the time and has only seen rain maybe 3 times since new. However, the S65 gets a thorough workout every time it is driven once it is fully and carefully warmed up.

In an all out drag race, I'd definitely favor the M2C. I've had the M2C now for over two years so have had many chances to back-to-back the two cars. The M3 wins solidly in two areas: throttle response (and a pure connected feel to the driveline through the throttle pedal) and *sound*. The S65 at WOT between 5500-8400 rpms is unreal, especially the visceral feel and that wicked shriek between 7k to 8400 (as you know!). The M2C definitely has the midrange torque win, and in a drag race if both cars are driven to their capabilities, the M2C will win every time (pure stock cars). C&D data shows the M3 traps at 12.7@114mph and the M2C at 12.4@116mph, so that's a look at power/weight of the two (i.e. the trap speeds), and the M2C edges out the ET also.

I wrote a Roundel article about 18 months back comparing the two car's control feedback and overall response on the Michelin 1/2 mile skidpad which sort of spawned out of a thread I posted here back in Sept 2018.

BTW, the M2C has been flawless so far too - currently at 11k miles and 26 months of ownership.
I would give the M3 the win in 3 areas: sound, throttle response, and hydraulic steering feel. I also really liked the interior and overall build quality - but that's personal preference. Honestly, the S65, by itself, is enough of a reason to own that car. I would give the M2c the edge on pretty much everything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #2186
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
The S55, by comparison, is powerful but pedestrian. I own to S55 (F80 M3 and M2 comp), so hopefully I am allowed to say that.

Cold starts with the S65 and Dinan exhaust are insane...the header ping, the rumbling V8 spitting out the pipes, etc. The S55 on the other hand, well, it's "different." I have both and love them both for their two totally different experiences in motion, in sound, etc.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      11-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #2187
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
So I seem to recall someone on this thread mentioned that the emergency collision alert activated while driving on an empty road. Well guess what? It happened to me as well yesterday. Driving in the early afternoon on a two lane road, clear day. All of a sudden, the red car outline indicator came on my car and I felt the car brake hard twice. Not a complete full brake to a stop, but definitely jarring for a moment. Weird as there were no obstacles ahead of me...

It was me.

I'm guessing that with time, more people are gonna experience this. Something is definitely not right.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #2188
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
Quote:

It was me.

I'm guessing that with time, more people are gonna experience this. Something is definitely not right.
Mine works perfectly so far , today the red symbol came because I was close to the car in front of me and it was just a warning, no brake applied by the car

If it continues to bother you can turn off the feature. Also check the setting for collision warning , I set it to remind me late and so far it doesn't interfere at all
      11-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #2189
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:

I don't recall if it was the M2 Comp but I've had the alert if approaching a curve and there's something along side the road. And one time exiting a steep driveway.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #2190
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
I would give the M3 the win in 3 areas: sound, throttle response, and hydraulic steering feel. I also really liked the interior and overall build quality - but that's personal preference. Honestly, the S65, by itself, is enough of a reason to own that car. I would give the M2c the edge on pretty much everything else.
I was quite enamored with the E92 M3 on the occasions I got to drive it at the Performance Center and elsewhere, but never owned one. It almost felt telepathic, how well the steering feel and seat of the pants feel was in that car. The M2C feedback is good but subtle. I wouldn't have liked the S65 peaky nature on the street. The M2C wins there.

The best throttle response across the rev range, and probably forever the champ is the E39 M5. From anywhere across the tach, your neck was on a string controlled by the throttle. You could be smooth but you could also throw it back by a mere tip in of the throttle, especially in sport mode. People who complain about laggy electronic throttles have never driven that car.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      11-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #2191
RJD851
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 M3, X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Congrats! I picked mine up today. Same color combo
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      11-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #2192
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It was me.

Mine works perfectly so far , today the red symbol came because I was close to the car in front of me and it was just a warning, no brake applied by the car

If it continues to bother you can turn off the feature. Also check the setting for collision warning , I set it to remind me late and so far it doesn't interfere at all
Well turning off the feature does not solve the underlying "issue" if there is something inherently wrong with the sensor, etc. But for now, I will see if it reproduces itself or it was just one of those isolated incidents.

Regardless, as tech advances, more and more of these gremlins will appear. I don't know if I'm getting older, but I really resonate with people who in the past mention how they love the analog experience blah blah. Back then, I thought it was a little nuts, but nowadays, I totally get it haha. But I guess having Apple CarPlay is nice.

I also wanted to get the new M3, but now, looking at the new infotainment and digital screen, I am somehow losing my original appeal for it. Every time I get into my M2C, I just love it!
j23654.50
      11-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #2193
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was me.

I'm not saying it doesn't work. In fact, it works perfectly fine 9/10 times. Maybe even 19/20.

But the fact that I've seen it happen twice now - with under 2k miles on the odometer - tells me that it's buggy. And clearly I'm not alone since someone else noticed it too.

I can think of a thousand scenarios where the system interfering at the wrong moment can actually result in an accident. Scary stuff.

I learned to disable it recently, but don't always remember to push the button.
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      11-23-2020, 12:59 AM   #2194
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

is this curved vertical line normal in the adaptive headlamps, its on both sides and just noticed them
Attached Images

11-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #2195
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
is this curved vertical line normal in the adaptive headlamps, its on both sides and just noticed them
Yep, normal. Mine have it and I have no ppf etc.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1090.00
      11-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #2196
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Yep, normal. Mine have it and I have no ppf etc.
Looks weird, wonder why BMW has this design (lines)
      11-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #2197
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Scary incident i was about to get t-boned when i was crossing a green light and some fucker from oppposite side was about to ram into me and luckily realized and swerved away, i swerved too and applied brake but the collision system did not brake and i dont recall whether it showed the red signal in the dash as it happened in split of seconds, does the system work only for frontal collision?
      11-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #2198
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Scary incident i was about to get t-boned when i was crossing a green light and some fucker from oppposite side was about to ram into me and luckily realized and swerved away, i swerved too and applied brake but the collision system did not brake and i dont recall whether it showed the red signal in the dash as it happened in split of seconds, does the system work only for frontal collision?
Good question. I'm having a hard time figuring this system out. I spent some time playing around with it today and it's extremely inconsistent.

There are times when I'm purposely closing the distance on the car in front of me real fast without touching the brakes and this so-called collision system just naps lol. Absolutely no f***s given. And then, at other times, it overreacts when I'm doing the same at nowhere near the rate.

I'm beginning to truly hate this feature and I can't wait to have it completely coded out (if at all possible). Like, forever. IMO, it's way more dangerous than it is helpful.

I'm waiting for the day when it interferes at the wrong time and f***s me. Knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #2199
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do know the M2C collision warning is camera based. That would mean it is best straight on. Objects coming from the side have to be seen and interpreted as coming into your path. As mentioned, mine works well on medium and has rarely intervened when it didn't need to. It has intervened on track in high speed braking zones approaching a slow car as it should. Try adjusting the sensitivity to see if it becomes more or less invasive to daily driving. PS: Make sure the upper windshield is clean and not obstructed by tint, logos, etc.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1090.00
      11-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #2200
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I do know the M2C collision warning is camera based. That would mean it is best straight on. Objects coming from the side have to be seen and interpreted as coming into your path. As mentioned, mine works well on medium and has rarely intervened when it didn't need to. It has intervened on track in high speed braking zones approaching a slow car as it should. Try adjusting the sensitivity to see if it becomes more or less invasive to daily driving. PS: Make sure the upper windshield is clean and not obstructed by tint, logos, etc.
So you are saying collision system will work for front end collisions only ? Not from side or rear end of the car?