BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Mesh grill inserts/protectors?

12-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #45
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubm2c View Post
Here is the link to their various grills. Looks intriguing, but not sure how to get them in the states.

https://www.zunsport.com/us/product/all
Agreed on the intriguing, but the site really doesn't explain how they're mounted. They talk about clips, but I'm confused.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #46
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Agreed on the intriguing, but the site really doesn't explain how they're mounted. They talk about clips, but I'm confused.
They have free shipping to the states, so I pulled the trigger on the full kit. I'm not sure how long it will take to get here, but I will post an update after install. They have a couple of videos on the install, but hard to tell how it fastens. It looks like they attach to the outside of the current grills with some sort of clips and no drilling that they showed anyway.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      12-12-2020, 02:43 AM   #47
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
How do they attach? Do you have to drill?

I looked them up on the inter webs, but only saw Porsche grills.
No need to drill. It uses a kind of T shape clamp. It can be folded (spring loaded) to go through the factory grill mesh, opens on the inside, then you pull it with the screw so it tightens up. It's hard to explain, I'm not a native English speaker, so i attached a picture.
Attached Images

12-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #48
CFENSTY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3/Ferrari 360 Modena

Just ordered a full set. Make sure you get black. Also got 10% discount for giving them my email and it was able to be applied right away.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #49
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

I have zunsport grilles on mine (centre and sides). Can't recommend them enough. Very easy to fit (and remove, if needed). High quality and they look fantastic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #50
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

There's a video on how to mount the Zunsport grills--just do a google search. I found it a couple months ago when I considered them.

They look like a nice option, especially if you can install and remove them easily. Too bad they don't have solution for the upper grill as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #51
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
There's a video on how to mount the Zunsport grills--just do a google search. I found it a couple months ago when I considered them.

They look like a nice option, especially if you can install and remove them easily. Too bad they don't have solution for the upper grill as well.
I honestly don't think that's a problem. If you've got rocks flying up that high and smashing your grille you've got bigger problems to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #52
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

A few questions:

1. Wouldn't installing them (and I assume they attach over the existing grills) tend to mar/scratch the bumper? I don't see how they wouldn't.

2. Can you take the sort of cheesy logo off? It rather detracts, I think.

3. Can you post up a few closer-up pictures? They're tough to photograph, I guess, because none of the pictures I've seen really show what they look like well-- lots of "dark blobs" in the image.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:49 PM   #53
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A few questions:

1. Wouldn't installing them (and I assume they attach over the existing grills) tend to mar/scratch the bumper? I don't see how they wouldn't.

2. Can you take the sort of cheesy logo off? It rather detracts, I think.

3. Can you post up a few closer-up pictures? They're tough to photograph, I guess, because none of the pictures I've seen really show what they look like well-- lots of "dark blobs" in the image.

Thanks!
1. Quite simply, take care. The installation guide recommends using tape along the edges during install. I didn't. Wasn't a problem as I took my time.

2. It's welded, so not easily unfortunately. If it bothers you that much maybe just paint it black? I think it looks good personally. That said, they make these by hand... so maybe contact them and ask them not to weld the logo?

3. Everything you need can be found here: https://www.zunsport.com/en/bmw-gril...ont-grille-set - you can view the silver versions to see more clearly what the mesh looks like.
Appreciate 2
flybigjet6822.00
      12-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #54
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
I honestly don't think that's a problem. If you've got rocks flying up that high and smashing your grille you've got bigger problems to worry about.
I was more referring to the cosmetic aspect of having it look uniform with mesh covering all openings. Also for keeping bugs out of there--I spent a ridiculous amount of time carefully cleaning out those critters when I had the bumper off my car.

But those Zunsports look great for something to install for track day protection.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #55
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
Quote:
I was more referring to the cosmetic aspect of having it look uniform with mesh covering all openings. Also for keeping bugs out of there--I spent a ridiculous amount of time carefully cleaning out those critters when I had the bumper off my car.

But those Zunsports look great for something to install for track day protection.
Ah I see. Fair point. I quite like mine as they are but for bug cleaning it may make more sense.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #56
Puppetz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Zun Sport Grille Protectors

Quote:
1. Quite simply, take care. The installation guide recommends using tape along the edges during install. I didn't. Wasn't a problem as I took my time.

2. It's welded, so not easily unfortunately. If it bothers you that much maybe just paint it black? I think it looks good personally. That said, they make these by hand... so maybe contact them and ask them not to weld the logo?

3. Everything you need can be found here: https://www.zunsport.com/en/bmw-gril...ont-grille-set - you can view the silver versions to see more clearly what the mesh looks like.
Thanks everyone for this thread. I too am interested in some sort of grille protection. My interest is mainly on massive amount of bugs that come out at night where I live, and can be quite large. I reached out to the company and told them I was looking to keep my car as Original Manufacture as possible, and they said that on your order form, you can request not to have a logo welded on. Also, I also inquired about a grille protector for the top section - which is my main interest. They said they are going to monitor demand. Maybe if more of us inquire, they might take up the project? Keep sharing the info, thanks.
Appreciate 1
NathObeaN1307.50
      12-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #57
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetz View Post
Quote:

Thanks everyone for this thread. I too am interested in some sort of grille protection. My interest is mainly on massive amount of bugs that come out at night where I live, and can be quite large. I reached out to the company and told them I was looking to keep my car as Original Manufacture as possible, and they said that on your order form, you can request not to have a logo welded on. Also, I also inquired about a grille protector for the top section - which is my main interest. They said they are going to monitor demand. Maybe if more of us inquire, they might take up the project? Keep sharing the info, thanks.
My only concern to that would be these grilles sit over the top, and they look fine for doing that. Having a grille sit over the top of the front top grille however would look terrible... and I think it would be quite difficult to make something that would slot in from behind that doesn't require a bit of DIY and removing bits (which is what people do outside of this 'easy' solution anyway).
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #58
Puppetz
Private
Rep

Quote:
My only concern to that would be these grilles sit over the top, and they look fine for doing that. Having a grille sit over the top of the front top grille however would look terrible... and I think it would be quite difficult to make something that would slot in from behind that doesn't require a bit of DIY and removing bits (which is what people do outside of this 'easy' solution anyway).
I should have mentioned that, but I did correspond with the company that it would have to fit from the back. I too would not want something sitting on top. Not sure what type of securing would be required, and it would probably not be as easily removable as the bottom protectors are. I would envision some removing of screws to access grille, pop it out, attach protector, and pop back in. Accessing maybe like this:
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #59
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubm2c View Post
Does anyone know what they used for the M2CS Racing, or maybe how to source a kit?
I want the whole bumper and the ducts
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #60
Puppetz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetz View Post
I should have mentioned that, but I did correspond with the company that it would have to fit from the back. I too would not want something sitting on top. Not sure what type of securing would be required, and it would probably not be as easily removable as the bottom protectors are. I would envision some removing of screws to access grille, pop it out, attach protector, and pop back in. Accessing maybe like this:
Found this too: https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...ection-grilles
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #61
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I put in a temporary version just for the FMIC and tracked at RA in high heat and everything seemed fine. I will track this full version in a couple of weeks. It's almost impossible to tell the net effect of the screen but if you take an air compressor hose and blow it through the mesh ( I did) , if feels like plenty of air gets in. What I do know for sure is what the coolers look like without a screen.

https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1559702389
Has anyone ever suggested that you might be following other cars a little close??? Or was this a result of a trip through the 'kitty litter'...

Last edited by M Fifty; 12-16-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #62
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I have zunsport grilles on mine (centre and sides). Can't recommend them enough. Very easy to fit (and remove, if needed). High quality and they look fantastic.
Can you install and remove the original grill? I prefer the plain look
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #63
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Finally tackled the front grill mesh project. I used 304 stainless steel mesh from McMaster-Carr. For the top, tied it to the steel bracing with heavy-duty zip ties and wrapped the edges in EPDM rubber seal strips. This kept the edges tight against the plastic trim and no sharp edge rubs or rattles. The bottom ducts were easy, cut to match inside pattern, laid flat with no overlap, and again zip tied.

A few tips:

Why do it? Because track days and rubber marbles = damaged coolers = less $ for track days!

Why not black mesh? I thought of paint, plastidip, etc but I thought that rock chips would quickly start showing shiny metal and it would look worse than full bare metal.

For the radiator mesh, use 24"-long zip ties and keep them loose so you can keep the mesh away from the support braces (you need space to get behind the mesh). Once all zips in place, tighten fully.
Cut the radiator mesh so it ends up slightly wedged against the plastic surrounding trim, and use rubber seal around the mesh to keep sharp edges from scraping against plastic trim.

Zip ties are awesome. Don't be afraid to use plenty of them. Black zip ties disappear! Hardly noticeable unless you really get close up.

Take your time, not a hard job but time consuming. Took me a couple of afternoons with bumper removal, cutting installing mesh and a trip to Lowe's.

I look at this mesh as sacrificial item, meant to save the coolers. If they work and look ok for a few years, I'll be happy to redo them as a maintenance item down the road.

Here are a few pics. If anyone is interested in the specific mesh p/n or any other details, let me know.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #64
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-27-2021, 01:57 AM   #65
Dooba97
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '21 SO M2C 6MT

I installed the center and side mesh grills for my M2C two weeks ago. Since then I haven't had any difference in operating temperatures.

Process was really simple, here's some pics:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Edit: Added imgur link

Last edited by Dooba97; 02-27-2021 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #66
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooba97 View Post
I installed the center and side mesh grills for my M2C two weeks ago. Since then I haven't had any difference in operating temperatures.

Process was really simple, here's some pics:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Edit: Added imgur link
You shouldn't have any issues with temps. I have the otter set on order from them. The inner piece seems to be out of stock.

Last edited by ChrisK; 08-16-2021 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0