BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Upgrade advice (charge pipe, FMIC, Tune, etc)

06-10-2022, 02:32 PM   #1
Jrl8d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Upgrade advice (charge pipe, FMIC, Tune, etc)

So my charge pipe broke the other day and now I figured I should upgrade a bunch of other stuff.

I'd like to do the following in total:
- Injen Intake (already installed)
- Wagner Downpipe w/ Sport Cat (Already installed, but strangely throws a CEL)
- FTP Boost and Charge Pipe
- MST V2 Turbo Inlet
- Intercooler (not sure which one is appropriate given this setup. Should I get a 5" or a Race one like VRSF 6.5")
- BM3 (I could do stage 2 tune with this setup right?)
- Oil catch can (does it matter what brand? Was thinking BMS)
- Turbosmart Diverter Valve; I've heard this helps with boost leaks and lag between shifts on 6MT?
- Is there anything else I am missing?

I haven't yet tracked the vehicle but I do drive it at about 9/10ths a good amount. I also do not plan to buy an aftermarket turbo at this time.

My Questions are as follows:
1) Is there anything else I should add or change to the above
2) What intercooler is appropriate and will it require any support brackets to be permanently removed. If so, would this affect handling?
3) What Map would be appropriate on the tune
4) Where is the cheapest place to get DME unlocked? I saw $250 from kies
5) Would I need colder plugs or are stock ok?
6) I stupidly drove my car home after the charge pipe burst (I didn't realize this is what had happened). Is there something I should do to make sure I didn't get debris in the intake manifold or engine at this point? Want to make sure i mitigate any potential issues if at all possible.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. I don't want to waste money, but am happy to spend more if I will get better performance out of different options. I may track one day, but my goal is to have a high performance daily driver and wouldn't want to significantly affect reliability or increase turbo lag if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Last edited by Jrl8d; 06-11-2022 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #2
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I’ll answer what I can, but beware, I speak mostly from reading here than from experience. I will be doing similar mods and stage 2 tune this summer and am in the process of accumulating the parts atm.

- no surprise the Wagner sport cat threw a cel, they don’t claim otherwise, and most others experienced the same
- you should do a diverter valve upgrade same time as turbo inlet. Go Fast Bits or Turbo smart, your call, personally leaning GFB but plenty of info on this forum…the MST v2 turbo inlet is definitely a great choice
- I’ve chosen the CSF intercooler, kind of a medium sized unit, shouldn’t need any braces removed. Very popular choice here.
- these mods are good for a stage 2 tune. Start at stage 2 91 octane, especially if you get mediocre fuel quality in your area. Work up to 93 octane tune if all ok. Data logging will tell the story.
- i don’t think the dme needs unlocking, isn’t that for the comps?
- start with the stock plugs.

Lots of discussions on all your questions on this forum, do some reading, arrive at your own conclusions. Best of luck with it all. Also, I may be wrong on some stuff so don’t take my word as gospel and totally cool if anybody wishes to correct me.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

You don't need a catch can, diverter valve, colder plugs, or DME unlock. Get the CSF IC, upgraded IC piping, bM3 stage 2 tune, and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
You don't need a catch can, diverter valve, colder plugs, or DME unlock. Get the CSF IC, upgraded IC piping, bM3 stage 2 tune, and call it a day.
Agreed

Except for the DV
      06-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #5
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Agreed

Except for the DV
I guess it couldn't hurt but I've yet to see leaks at 40k miles on the stock one. If it's common later on I guess might as well throw one in there if doing the piping anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed

Except for the DV
I guess it couldn't hurt but I've yet to see leaks at 40k miles on the stock one. If it's common later on I guess might as well throw one in there if doing the piping anyway.
It's almost impossible to install without having the inlet removed and out of the way

I added my DV after the inlet had been installed for almost 9 months and I will say it's subtle but quite magical
      06-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
I wouldn't do colder plugs for no reason, you're wasting money and can cause stumbling and misfires due to incomplete combustion.
      06-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #8
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
It's almost impossible to install without having the inlet removed and out of the way

I added my DV after the inlet had been installed for almost 9 months and I will say it's subtle but quite magical
Dv is a good upgrade.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16569.50
      06-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #9
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Quote:

DV is a good upgrade.
Absolutely

Next stop is a Sport cat
      06-10-2022, 10:18 PM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Absolutely do the Diverter and inlet. The inlet was worth more than 10whp on VD according to the logs.

I would also say, depending on where you are, the Race Intercoolers are superior to a standard 5” cores (CSF is a 5.5”) but they do require you to change the front brace - I think it’s worth it, but to each their own.

Finally stick with stock plugs, and BM3 will have the strongest OTS maps unless you plan on going with a custom tune, or tuner - then you’ll be limited by the stock fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 10:19 PM   #11
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely

Next stop is a Sport cat
If you don’t need a CEL guarantee, just get any HFC Downpipe, and save 800- 1300 bucks, they’ll all perform the same and reduce smell.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 10:37 PM   #12
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:
Absolutely

Next stop is a Sport cat
If you don’t need a CEL guarantee, just get any HFC Downpipe, and save 800- 1300 bucks, they’ll all perform the same and reduce smell.
I don't want the smell at all

Getting the HJS 300 Cell Euro 6 Cat
      06-10-2022, 10:48 PM   #13
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I can’t say one is better than another at smell
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 11:52 PM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:

I don't think that's possible at all to completely avoid the smell once you go with a lower cell density than stock. You'll scrub some of that smell but you will not be able to scrub it all.
      06-11-2022, 12:50 AM   #15
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:

I don't think that's possible at all to completely avoid the smell once you go with a lower cell density than stock. You'll scrub some of that smell but you will not be able to scrub it all.
That's fine better than nothing at all

But I understand what you're saying
      06-11-2022, 04:01 AM   #16
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely

Next stop is a Sport cat
Like what one do you recommend?
      06-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Like what one do you recommend?
I recommend CTS turbo if you do not care about the check engine light

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 12:07 PM   #18
Jrl8d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that information! I totally misunderstood and thought our cars needed a DME unlock to tune using BM3. Is this just with the s55?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #19
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrl8d View Post
Quote:
Thanks for that information! I totally misunderstood and thought our cars needed a DME unlock to tune using BM3. Is this just with the s55?
The later model m2 comps with s55 yeah.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 12:11 PM   #20
Jrl8d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely do the Diverter and inlet. The inlet was worth more than 10whp on VD according to the logs.

I would also say, depending on where you are, the Race Intercoolers are superior to a standard 5” cores (CSF is a 5.5”) but they do require you to change the front brace - I think it’s worth it, but to each their own.

Finally stick with stock plugs, and BM3 will have the strongest OTS maps unless you plan on going with a custom tune, or tuner - then you’ll be limited by the stock fuel pump.
Thanks for that information!

I live in Richmond,VA. It can get hot here in the dead of summer, but mostly its not that bad. Most of the summer is between 80-90 degrees. Would the race intercooler really make much of a difference with a stock turbo as a daily driver? I may track it someday, but this primarily is a daily. My hesitancy was any handling impact from the brace, but in your experience did you notice a difference? Also, do the larger intercoolers affect turbo lag or performance on the stock turbo?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #21
Jrl8d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I’ll answer what I can, but beware, I speak mostly from reading here than from experience. I will be doing similar mods and stage 2 tune this summer and am in the process of accumulating the parts atm.

- no surprise the Wagner sport cat threw a cel, they don’t claim otherwise, and most others experienced the same
- you should do a diverter valve upgrade same time as turbo inlet. Go Fast Bits or Turbo smart, your call, personally leaning GFB but plenty of info on this forum…the MST v2 turbo inlet is definitely a great choice
- I’ve chosen the CSF intercooler, kind of a medium sized unit, shouldn’t need any braces removed. Very popular choice here.
- these mods are good for a stage 2 tune. Start at stage 2 91 octane, especially if you get mediocre fuel quality in your area. Work up to 93 octane tune if all ok. Data logging will tell the story.

Lots of discussions on all your questions on this forum, do some reading, arrive at your own conclusions. Best of luck with it all. Also, I may be wrong on some stuff so don’t take my word as gospel and totally cool if anybody wishes to correct me.
Thanks a lot for the help!

You are right about the wagner. I originally thought that was one of the better ones when I bought it, but I looked around on the forums and see a lot of people mentioning that it threw a code.

I have heard the CSF intercooler can have fitment issues with certain charge pipes. Where you going to change the charge pipes as well?

Luckily the gas around me seems to be very good. I haven't had an issue with any of my cars previously as long as I stick to Shell 93 Premium. but thats good advice to start it at the lower octane setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #22
grinchmas
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrl8d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post

Thanks a lot for the help!

You are right about the wagner. I originally thought that was one of the better ones when I bought it, but I looked around on the forums and see a lot of people mentioning that it threw a code.

I have heard the CSF intercooler can have fitment issues with certain charge pipes. Where you going to change the charge pipes as well?

Luckily the gas around me seems to be very good. I haven't had an issue with any of my cars previously as long as I stick to Shell 93 Premium. but thats good advice to start it at the lower octane setting.
Just wanted to chime in that after a couple years of running the CSF intercooler and VSRF chargepipe, the IC wore a hole in my condenser because the welds were pretty big.
The shop mentioned that the IC couldn't be shifted forward anymore because it was at the limit to still attach to the chargepipe. They added some felt tape around the welds to protect the new condenser a bit better, but just wanted to give some warning. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this issue before.
Cary Jordan 91 Oct Tune~ CSF FMIC, DCT Cooler~ VRSF Chargepipe~ MST Turbo Inlet Pipe~ Fabspeed Sportcat Downpipe~ Turbosmart BV~ Ohlins R&T~ do88 Oil Cooler, Radiator, Remote Radiator~ Girodisc Rotors
Appreciate 0