BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Trickle Charging - How To

02-24-2021, 08:04 PM   #89
M-Azing
Antonito
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

M2 charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Given the information and recommendations in this thread, I have bought the CTEK MUS7002 so thanks all!!! I am using the eye hooks pigtail connections instead of the clamps. Open hood, plug in the CTEK and I'm good to go.

Question: I noticed that the engine bay gets pretty hot under general use: any danger for the plastics/wires to melt? After a normal drive, I touch the wires and are warm to the touch. Do you guys use some high heat wiring harnesses for protection? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't open hood every day, last thing I want is to create fire, sparks etc

TIA
Hey, did you have any issues leaving the eyelets connected under the hood? I just picked up the CTEK4.3 for my 2018 M2- was getting discharge messages ....

Thanks
Keith
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #90
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Can't we use a NOCO 10 on these cars? That's what I currently have.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #91
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Can't we use a NOCO 10 on these cars? That's what I currently have.
Yeah for sure, Noco is fine too, it's just that alot of us prefer ctek.
      03-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #92
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yeah for sure, Noco is fine too, it's just that alot of us prefer ctek.
May I know why? Just really preference or are there performance benefits?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #93
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
May I know why? Just really preference or are there performance benefits?
Well there are a few reasons why I personally went with CTEK:

1) Ctek chargers are notoriously good at providing really stable clean power to the battery, i.e. they have really low ripple percentages unlike other competitors. Ripple technically is not good for electronics like the IBS, so I went with CTEK as Noco mentions nothing about ripple with solid data behind it. All noco says is it provides power without unwanted ripple (technically there will still be some ripple but how much is the question), while ctek gives you solid numbers to back up their low ripple claim.

2) Alot of oems use rebranded ctek chargers (which should show as confidence in ctek quality), including bmw, mercedes, ferrari, acura, etc. No one in my knowledge uses rebranded noco chargers.

3) 3 year warranty vs 5 year warranty of ctek.

Otherwise both do pretty similar things, but the one benefit of the noco is that it can do both lithium and AGM.
      03-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #94
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Well noted. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #95
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Azing View Post
Quote:
Given the information and recommendations in this thread, I have bought the CTEK MUS7002 so thanks all!!! I am using the eye hooks pigtail connections instead of the clamps. Open hood, plug in the CTEK and I'm good to go.

Question: I noticed that the engine bay gets pretty hot under general use: any danger for the plastics/wires to melt? After a normal drive, I touch the wires and are warm to the touch. Do you guys use some high heat wiring harnesses for protection? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't open hood every day, last thing I want is to create fire, sparks etc

TIA
Hey, did you have any issues leaving the eyelets connected under the hood? I just picked up the CTEK4.3 for my 2018 M2- was getting discharge messages ....

Thanks
Keith
Hey, sorry I haven't checked the forum since I wasn't driving my bimmer for some time (it was in hibernation, you know, with those cold super frigid TX winters).

As a matter of fact...it's been more on the charger than driven. ZERO ISSUES to report...the CTEK charger works like a champ.
      03-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #96
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hey, sorry I haven't checked the forum since I wasn't driving my bimmer for some time (it was in hibernation, you know, with those cold super frigid TX winters).

As a matter of fact...it's been more on the charger than driven. ZERO ISSUES to report...the CTEK charger works like a champ.
+1

I replied to his pm too. But for me its on the ctek 6 months of the year, and the eyelets have been in the car for 1-2 years now without issue. It helps the ctek has water proof rubber covers for the end terminals and a fuse, so if there is no chance for water ingress but if you forget to cover it the fuse will prevent shorts.
      09-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #97
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Bumping this thread for a question...

Recently got a CTEK MXS 5.0, since I don't get to drive the M2 enough and it seems to sit for weeks untouched.

Does anyone have any concerns about leaving it plugged in when no one is home for 2-3 weeks?

I don't expect any issues, but also don't want to burn down the house. If I had been using one for 1-2 years, I would be more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #98
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Bumping this thread for a question...

Recently got a CTEK MXS 5.0, since I don't get to drive the M2 enough and it seems to sit for weeks untouched.

Does anyone have any concerns about leaving it plugged in when no one is home for 2-3 weeks?

I don't expect any issues, but also don't want to burn down the house. If I had been using one for 1-2 years, I would be more comfortable.
No there shouldn't be any concerns because the charge isn't always charging, it stops when the battery is topped off. So the risk if a battery exploding due to over charging is minimal to zero.

When I use my ctek I always use a surge protector too, this prevents power surges (if they ever were to occur) from causing issues. So if you're going to leave your ctek unattended then get a surge protector as well.

For me I always leave my ctek unattended and plugged in for 6 months at a time when my m2 is in winter storage. Zero issues thus far, and I come out once every couple of weeks to scan for codes, rotate the tires, and check the battery level.
      09-16-2021, 11:58 PM   #99
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

I think he's just worried about leaving the charger plug'd in the whole time. I believe this is the same as leaving your house' heating on (lower setting due to freezing concern) while on vacation or the other appliances for that matter. Fridge's compressor will run when it needs to and stop when it's cold enough. Reversed for your furnace. Same logic w/ the trickle charger. Except maybe for the hydrogen that's released as one charges a battery? Don't they suggest that there's some level of ventilation while this is done? I'm sure it's a very tiny percentage and is more for the legality of putting a warning to protect the manufacturer—lawyers. I agree w/ F87 but I don't have a surge protector on mine.

2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:51 AM   #100
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think he's just worried about leaving the charger plug'd in the whole time. I believe this is the same as leaving your house' heating on (lower setting due to freezing concern) while on vacation or the other appliances for that matter. Fridge's compressor will run when it needs to and stop when it's cold enough. Reversed for your furnace. Same logic w/ the trickle charger. Except maybe for the hydrogen that's released as one charges a battery? Don't they suggest that there's some level of ventilation while this is done? I'm sure it's a very tiny percentage and is more for the legality of putting a warning to protect the manufacturer—lawyers. I agree w/ F87 but I don't have a surge protector on mine.

The m2 has a buit in battery vent that vents outside of the vehicle. For the tiny amount of vapors released over time they would in all likelihood disappate before anything bad can happen - unless you park your car in an air tight garage (which most garages and homes are not to prevent asphyxiation) or in a car bubble. Other than that you should be fine, most super car owners have a warehouse full of cars left full time on trickle chargers.

Also the ctek has a fuse that can break if a short circuit were to occur, say water some how leaked into the engine bay and managed to bridge the connection (super unlikely). The ctek also has spark mitigation technology so it shouldn't spark while connecting, reverse connection detection so you cannot hook it up backwards, and battery detection so you cannot over charge and it shuts off automatically if for some reason the charger were to become disconnected (maybe an animal broke into your garage and knocked the charger over or something).

So overall it is a pretty safe unit to have running all year round, also bmw's IBS sensor can monitor the charging and iirc prevent over charging of the battery. Which is why bmw wants you to connect to the underhood terminals rather than directly to the battery itself.
      09-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #101
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Oh yeah? But can the CTEK clean your car while it’s been sitting for 3 weeks gathering dust? 😷
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #102
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

The only issue I've ever had with my CTEK charging for long periods of time were
a) circuit breaker (tripped, car stopped charging, no clue)
b) charger went dead - came back to it and it was off and out of warranty by 3 weeks

Short story, no worries.

and I should have it under its cover...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      09-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #103
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
The only issue I've ever had with my CTEK charging for long periods of time were
a) circuit breaker (tripped, car stopped charging, no clue)
b) charger went dead - came back to it and it was off and out of warranty by 3 weeks

Short story, no worries.

and I should have it under its cover...
Very nice!

I should also mention don't leave the charger on the ground, Incase of water ingress into your garage.

I have mine on a chair (tied down to chair) next to the car.