BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke | M2 Signature Exhaust (Sneak Peek)

09-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #45
CHITOWN1series
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Any sound clips?! Or is it the same as the original video clip?
      09-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #46
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We'd like to be able to start shipping the first few units by the end of next month. The first few units will likely be sold as a full turbo-back system.

If anyone is local to us in Miami and interested in a complete system, please let me know! While I have complete confidence in our fitment, it'd be nice to install a system on an otherwise stock car to get some independent feedback!
We can just have it shipped to NY
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #47
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
This looks extremely good, have you dynoed yet to see exact gains?

Did I read correctly here that the full turbo back setup would benefit cars that upgrade the turbo? How about a fully stock car that installs this full setup?
      09-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #48
DocWardM2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M2 MG 6MT

Quote:
We'd like to be able to start shipping the first few units by the end of next month. The first few units will likely be sold as a full turbo-back system.

If anyone is local to us in Miami and interested in a complete system, please let me know! While I have complete confidence in our fitment, it'd be nice to install a system on an otherwise stock car to get some independent feedback!
I would like to swing by ActiveAutowerkes to hear your exhaust system in person. Let me know if this is possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #49
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHITOWN1series View Post
Any sound clips?! Or is it the same as the original video clip?
Coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87 View Post
We can just have it shipped to NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BAN View Post
This looks extremely good, have you dynoed yet to see exact gains?

Did I read correctly here that the full turbo back setup would benefit cars that upgrade the turbo? How about a fully stock car that installs this full setup?
The setup was designed and installed on our stock turbo car, but is also designed to be large enough to not choke a car with a larger turbo installed. We have not dyno'd it on an otherwise bone stock car but will be doing so in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWardM2 View Post
I would like to swing by ActiveAutowerkes to hear your exhaust system in person. Let me know if this is possible.
Sending you a PM now!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #50
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Any updates David?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #51
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any updates David?
We're getting there! We should have the fixtures 100% complete by the end of this week so that we can begin production. We've been working on the tune so I may have some updated HP/TQ figures this week as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #52
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We're getting there! We should have the fixtures 100% complete by the end of this week so that we can begin production. We've been working on the tune so I may have some updated HP/TQ figures this week as well.
Awesome, is the tune going to be a stage 1 similar to the JB+?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #53
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, is the tune going to be a stage 1 similar to the JB+?
We're currently running what could be considered a Stage 1 tune with about 2psi more than stock. We're attempting to develop a tune that can run higher boost levels without getting too hot.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #54
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We're currently running what could be considered a Stage 1 tune with about 2psi more than stock. We're attempting to develop a tune that can run higher boost levels without getting too hot.
Would be nice to see an alternative to the JB4, I have used JB4 on all of my BMW's so far and always loved it but have completely been turned off at the fact Terry refuses to create specific firmware or software for the M2 when factory software differs from the m235

Last edited by BD_F22; 10-10-2016 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #55
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would be nice to see an alternative to the JB4, I have used JB4 on all of my BMW's so far and always loved it but have completely been turned off at the fact Terry refuses to create specific firmware or software for the M2 when factory software differs from the m235
We also have a piggyback option for the M2 with an M2 specific map, but it's really only effective when used with a catless downpipe. When used with the stock downpipe the exhaust temps get too hot and the car loses power up top. It's a great option for those not wanting to ship their ECU to us but our reflash will make more power more consistently.

We also have a meth kit ready to be installed sometime next week so we'll be doing some testing with that as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #56
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M2

Quote:
We also have a piggyback option for the M2 with an M2 specific map, but it's really only effective when used with a catless downpipe. When used with the stock downpipe the exhaust temps get too hot and the car loses power up top. It's a great option for those not wanting to ship their ECU to us but our reflash will make more power more consistently.

We also have a meth kit ready to be installed sometime next week so we'll be doing some testing with that as well.
Had no idea you have a piggy back solution currently available... don't see it on your website for the m2. The flash you speak of... any details on it? Any dyno graphs on either product?
97 Integra GSR - crashed it
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #57
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That is great news Dave, I didn't know that.. I am one to not really want to send my ecu out and prefer a piggyback for ease of install and uninstall. Is the active piggyback for the M2 pretty much the same Active 8 that was offered on the m235 with just an M2 specific map?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #58
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M2

Without turning this into a bashing thread. How does your piggy back compare to JB4? Obviously the maps are small increments in boost... can you log on your piggy back? I know I'm going to eventually need a flash for fueling and clamping pressure because of the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #59
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is great news Dave, I didn't know that.. I am one to not really want to send my ecu out and prefer a piggyback for ease of install and uninstall. Is the active piggyback for the M2 pretty much the same Active 8 that was offered on the m235 with just an M2 specific map?
Correct, the hardware is the same as the M235i box but with an M2 specific map. We experimented with multiple boost levels but without a catless downpipe the EGT would get too hot and the power would drop to almost stock levels above 5500rpm. We made great torque and power under the curve, but adding a catless downpipe really helps it breathe up top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmav23 View Post
Without turning this into a bashing thread. How does your piggy back compare to JB4? Obviously the maps are small increments in boost... can you log on your piggy back? I know I'm going to eventually need a flash for fueling and clamping pressure because of the DCT.
The M2 Active-8 isn't on the website yet. We're waiting to have our flash options finalized so we can release all tuning options at once.

Terry makes a great product with tons of features, some of which we don't offer. However, our Active-8 uses a 64-bit processor which is extremely fast compared to most piggyback options out there. This is important because all the piggybacks really do is manipulate signals going to the DME. The adjustment on the Active-8 box is really just a static boost increase by about .3psi per setting. The maps we use for each car are different but none of them are just a static increase over stock boost levels across the entire rev range (we may ramp boost by 30% at X rpm and then only by 10% at Y rpm). The adjustment on the Active-8 essentially shifts our boost curve up or down by .3psi per turn.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #60
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2

Any pics update
      10-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #61
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct, the hardware is the same as the M235i box but with an M2 specific map. We experimented with multiple boost levels but without a catless downpipe the EGT would get too hot and the power would drop to almost stock levels above 5500rpm. We made great torque and power under the curve, but adding a catless downpipe really helps it breathe up top.
Awesome! Does the Active 8 clear the CEL for the catless downpipe? Also does it adjust any other parameters aside from boost? Such as timing, ignition, etc? Last question, is it compatible with hardware such as the P3 Gauge or the Awron Gauge? Thanks for all the detailed explanations, I really appreciate all of your efforts
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #62
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Interested, how come the tips on the pass side slant upwards?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #63
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Does the Active 8 clear the CEL for the catless downpipe? Also does it adjust any other parameters aside from boost? Such as timing, ignition, etc? Last question, is it compatible with hardware such as the P3 Gauge or the Awron Gauge? Thanks for all the detailed explanations, I really appreciate all of your efforts
No problem! All of the piggyback systems on the market only adjust boost. Timing and fuel is still controlled by the DME. The DME will adjust timing and fuel automatically based on input from various sensors. The Active-8 is 100% compatible with the P3 or AWRON gauge (We've used the AWRON with our Active-8 in our M2 already) but it does not clear any CELs (The AWRON can do that for you though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Interested, how come the tips on the pass side slant upwards?
The first few photos of the exhaust on the car were mock ups of different configurations we were testing. We were constantly changing the muffler/resonator setups so we were just tacking the tips on to hear the sound. The final production design as pictured on page 2 has the tips level and even. All production units will have level, evenly spaced tips
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #64
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Cool, pricing on the exhaust? Offered in catback as well as turbo back?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #65
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2

Ummmmmm where waiting guys
      11-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #66
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Definitely interested in the entire turbo back kit possible with the piggy back tune that you guys produce since I'm in NJ. Please let me know of any pricing updates through pm if possible! Thanks!

If there's a better tune that will be available later I would be interested in that as well. Thanks for all the detailed responses here!
Appreciate 0