BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Check Engine Light

10-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
allensepanyan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Check Engine Light

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a used 2016 M2, and within a month of driving got a check engine light. Codes were P0007 and P0001 which had to do with the o2 sensor. I changed the sensor changed the car battery and the light refused to go away. I have a fabspeed sport cat and down pipe and dinan exhausts but there are no cat codes or anything of the sort. The car kind of drives normally honestly even with the light on but the first time it came on the car did go on limp mode. Eurozone in Los Angeles told me that the problem is actually the DME and terminal 15.1 is shorted and they need to replace the entire DME/ECU for a total of $2500 bucks. I was just wondering if anyone had any information or suggestions prior to spending money on a big project like this. They literally have no explanation as to why the DMe went bad the car has never been tuned before according to previous owner and is not currently flashed. Any ideas or information would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by allensepanyan View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a used 2016 M2, and within a month of driving got a check engine light. Codes were P0007 and P0001 which had to do with the o2 sensor. I changed the sensor changed the car battery and the light refused to go away. I have a fabspeed sport cat and down pipe and dinan exhausts but there are no cat codes or anything of the sort. The car kind of drives normally honestly even with the light on but the first time it came on the car did go on limp mode. Eurozone in Los Angeles told me that the problem is actually the DME and terminal 15.1 is shorted and they need to replace the entire DME/ECU for a total of $2500 bucks. I was just wondering if anyone had any information or suggestions prior to spending money on a big project like this. They literally have no explanation as to why the DMe went bad the car has never been tuned before according to previous owner and is not currently flashed. Any ideas or information would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!!
Those obd2 codes are generic and actually trace back to fuel valve operation, whatever that means. It would be best if you could scan the car with ISTA and see what it says.
Enabled1407.00
///M TOWN16309.00
      10-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by allensepanyan View Post
Hello everyone,

Read codes with a BMW capable scanner as mentioned above.

There are people that can replace the DME for much much cheaper (see me), but I wouldn't go down that path until you know for sure what is going on.

It's not a flash or a tune that will take out a DME... it's usually a shorted component that fries circuits.

But still, do not replace without thorough investigation.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
F87source7245.50