gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

M2 CS cold start

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My cold start feels like it takes forever to come down. I have many friends with a comp and their cold start generally lasts a few minutes less than mine on the CS. No matter how warm the car is, at every start it's the same full cycle which lasts forever (will time it soon)

Is this normal? Has any one else felt their cold start was noticeably longer than the comps to a point where it's a nuisance? Wondering if I should take this in to the dealer for them to have a look. The cold start has been this way since the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Is it a nuisance because of a practice by which you don't start driving the car until the rpm drops? Seems like it is temp dependent to me. Sometimes I wait for the cold start to finish before driving. Other times I wait 30s.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 08:39 PM   #3
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

Correct, I wait till it drops.

Also I timed it, it's 3 and a half minutes roughly every start, even if the car is fully warmed up, then turned off and started again right away. On the comps, this doesn't seem to be the case so I'm wondering if other CS' behave the same way.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:31 PM   #4
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
The manual specifically instructs that you should not leave the car idling at cold start and should start driving straight away.
Appreciate 6
Jimjamz4565.00
2taCoS279.00
nioh_lbbm21716.50
MomoM3984.00
Kikuchiyo113.00
JoeMatt160.00
      08-08-2022, 03:21 AM   #5
johnny_slo
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Why would anyone wait till the cold start is over and only then start driving? These are modern cars, not 40 years old exotics.

OP, do you have an OPF? Maybe a longer cold start is needed because of that and you M2C friends have pre-OPF versions.
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Kikuchiyo113.00
      08-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #6
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
On my two previous F8x, cold start would go away and valves would open when you press one of the M buttons to put it in sport mode. On the M2CS, the valves stay closed no matter what for a few minutes. It sounds pretty bad. Putting a valve controller to keep the valves open helps make the car sound much better during cold start.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

Regardless of the preference to drive during the cold start or not, I was inquiring about the cold start behavior on the CS. I have a Canadian car so pretty sure we didn't get the OPF. Just secondary cats and resonator.

If someone can confirm the cold start behavior on their CS (NA car preferred), it will help me understand if mine is an anomaly.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #8
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It definitely feels like its noticeably longer than my other s55 Ms. But again... it behaves differently in response to what mode its in, so I assume it is programmed a little differently.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:55 AM   #9
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
It definitely feels like its noticeably longer than my other s55 Ms. But again... it behaves differently in response to what mode its in, so I assume it is programmed a little differently.
As in efficient vs sport vs sport+??
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
f87_boy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 22' M4CX

Garage List
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcurry View Post
Quote:
Maybe you should stop eating a lot of curry 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 11:05 AM   #11
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, on my M2cs the valves stay closed even if its in sport or sport plus. In my M4 valves would open up in sport mode even when the car is still in cold start. What I'm saying is, my M2cs behaves differently, so I don't think it would be a stretch to say that cold start programming overall is different on this car vs other f8x cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 06:58 AM   #12
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have a valve controller on the factory exhaust at the moment. Cold start is quite loud and can run for a lengthy time. I can see why they coded the valves closed. Iits such a low bassy tone that neighbors and sleeping children might not like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #13
johnny_slo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Always same logic and cannot be easily reprogrammed. I physically opened them on my stock exhaust and then went with valve controller on Akrapovič.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 08:41 AM   #14
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
I haven't noticed a significantly longer cold start than my previous M cars. It definitely doesn't hold for long when the car is already warm from a previous drive.

That said, I typically don't wait for it to cycle before driving so I'll test it out how long it takes today.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #15
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Yes, on my M2cs the valves stay closed even if its in sport or sport plus. In my M4 valves would open up in sport mode even when the car is still in cold start. What I'm saying is, my M2cs behaves differently, so I don't think it would be a stretch to say that cold start programming overall is different on this car vs other f8x cars.
Interesting. On my M2C, I just hit one of the M buttons to open the flaps and take off.

If that doesn't work, sounds like an emissions related thing, probably related to heating up the cats and/or OFP.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #16
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
The manual specifically instructs that you should not leave the car idling at cold start and should start driving straight away.
Are you being serious? I'll start driving off immediately if this is the case
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 09:01 PM   #17
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post

Are you being serious? I'll start driving off immediately if this is the case
Yes. Driving warms the car much faster. Leaving it idling puts extra fuel in the combustion chamber which can get on the cylinder walls and dissolve oil. Basically. You get more engine wear if you leave it idling on startup.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      08-10-2022, 06:24 AM   #18
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Quote:
My cold start feels like it takes forever to come down. I have many friends with a comp and their cold start generally lasts a few minutes less than mine on the CS. No matter how warm the car is, at every start it's the same full cycle which lasts forever (will time it soon)

Is this normal? Has any one else felt their cold start was noticeably longer than the comps to a point where it's a nuisance? Wondering if I should take this in to the dealer for them to have a look. The cold start has been this way since the beginning.
I had an M2c previously and the CS for 18 months now. I agree about the cold start shenanigans on the CS. I believe this is it's normal operating programming.

The Comp did it's thing when cold, but then only repeated the procedure when not having being used for sufficient time. The CS does it EVERY time on restart, and it lasts as long as you mentioned. It keeps the wastegates open so you get more lag on full throttle and it's louder until the cold party is over. Super annoying on track days when you're waiting in pit lane for your run, it takes the 3 minutes or so to get rid of the lag once you get on track after starting the car.

Side note, I've unplugged my exhaust valves in the open position and the cold start sounds deliciously raucous.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 03:08 PM   #19
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:

just drive off when the revs drop. if you need to hustle, keep the revs below 3k until the oil temps are over 180F. oil pressure is high at cold start so proper lubrication can be achieved. you are 'polluting the air' at cold start and the car doesn't burn clean until the cats are warmed up. you do not need a dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #20
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
I had an M2c previously and the CS for 18 months now. I agree about the cold start shenanigans on the CS. I believe this is it's normal operating programming.

The Comp did it's thing when cold, but then only repeated the procedure when not having being used for sufficient time. The CS does it EVERY time on restart, and it lasts as long as you mentioned. It keeps the wastegates open so you get more lag on full throttle and it's louder until the cold party is over. Super annoying on track days when you're waiting in pit lane for your run, it takes the 3 minutes or so to get rid of the lag once you get on track after starting the car.

Side note, I've unplugged my exhaust valves in the open position and the cold start sounds deliciously raucous.
Relieved to know I'm not the only one thrown off by this programming. On the initial cold start, I wait the till idle drops and keep it under 3k till oil temps are up. On any subsequent starts, now i sit a few seconds and drive away and still keep it under 3k until the sequence dies down.

Thanks everyone for ur input.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #21
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Regardless of the preference to drive during the cold start or not, I was inquiring about the cold start behavior on the CS. I have a Canadian car so pretty sure we didn't get the OPF. Just secondary cats and resonator.

If someone can confirm the cold start behavior on their CS (NA car preferred), it will help me understand if mine is an anomaly.

Thank you.
The behavior is monitored by the computers on board. If the cat hasn't reached the temp it needs it keeps going. Stop idling and drive off. It's in the manual.
Appreciate 1
Davil6485.50