BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Trailer Hitch and Lights Installation - Tire Trailer

03-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Trailer Hitch and Lights Installation - Tire Trailer

I have been working on installing a trailer hitch over the last couple weeks as time allowed. I should have put more effort into capturing what I did (like video), but I ended up taking pictures along the way.

Took the tail lights out and rear bumper cover:

Removed metal bumper/crash bar:

The hitch (Curt) mounts behind the metal bumper/crash bar. The exhaust shield was in the way on both sides and needed a little trimming:

Mounted the hitch:

Mounted the metal bumper/crash bar:

Cut the bumper cover/diffuser (stock) to allow for the hitch:

Remove the rear inner splash shield (not the official name) to gain access to route the wiring:

Route the wiring along existing wiring route:

Tucked all wiring and mounted the wiring device:

Parts used:

Curt hitch (CURT 11367 Class 1 Trailer Hitch) - $129
Wiring module (Tekonsha (119250) T-Connector) - $132

Harbor Freight was out of trailers by me, so I went with Northern Tool's trailer which seems to be the same thing (https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...-_-1206-_-CONF). I'll be working on the layout of the track tires and a box (TSC POLY 44IN CHEST - SKU# 1090993) in the next few days.
Appreciate 2
GFEA228.50
      03-14-2021, 10:47 PM   #2
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
I have been working on installing a trailer hitch over the last couple weeks as time allowed. I should have put more effort into capturing what I did (like video), but I ended up taking pictures along the way.

Took the tail lights out and rear bumper cover:

Removed metal bumper/crash bar:

The hitch (Curt) mounts behind the metal bumper/crash bar. The exhaust shield was in the way on both sides and needed a little trimming:

Mounted the hitch:

Mounted the metal bumper/crash bar:

Cut the bumper cover/diffuser (stock) to allow for the hitch:

Remove the rear inner splash shield (not the official name) to gain access to route the wiring:

Route the wiring along existing wiring route:

Tucked all wiring and mounted the wiring device:

Parts used:

Curt hitch (CURT 11367 Class 1 Trailer Hitch) - $129
Wiring module (Tekonsha (119250) T-Connector) - $132

Harbor Freight was out of trailers by me, so I went with Northern Tool's trailer which seems to be the same thing (https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...-_-1206-_-CONF). I'll be working on the layout of the track tires and a box (TSC POLY 44IN CHEST - SKU# 1090993) in the next few days.
Nice. I did this two years ago, and was well worth it. The Tekonsha Harness is great as there is no cutting into stock harness, thus no warranty issues. I have a Leroy Track Trailer, great product. Double nutted the hitch to the frame, 4 nuts. Of all the Mods to my car, this is the best, pulling into an event with 4 Track Tires, and all the needed tools in a small trailer. About 50 pounds on the Trailer hitch, which is nothing. Don't even feel i'm pulling anything. Have been on eight hour trips to Watkins Glenn, and never noticed if I was pulling anything. BTW nice job.

Last edited by chief1richard; 03-14-2021 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      03-15-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I almost pulled the trigger on a Leroy. I could not currently justify the expense. We'll see how happy I am with the make-your-own version. I might just bail on it and do the Leroy. Glad to hear you like yours. I know I won't miss shoving wheels in the back seat. With a roll bar going in soon that won't be possible any more anyway which is what drove me towards a trailer. Something is telling me I'll be kicking myself for not doing the trailer sooner.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

I've never towed anything in my life but one of these trailers seems like such a nice thing to have for track days. What's the 'speed limit' on the trailers like? I noticed the one you linked had a top speed of 45MPH. Are you stuck puttering along in the slow lane all the way there and back?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #5
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsubjugator View Post
I've never towed anything in my life but one of these trailers seems like such a nice thing to have for track days. What's the 'speed limit' on the trailers like? I noticed the one you linked had a top speed of 45MPH. Are you stuck puttering along in the slow lane all the way there and back?
Perhaps that's why I wanted the harbor freight version but when all stock around me seemed gone I switched to Northern Tool. I would guess they're actually made by the same manufacturer. The tires are rated to 55. The only other thing I can think of that would be related to speed is the hubs. I guess I'll be taking the risk and going over 45. Leroys is probably good for more speed. But as with cars - speed costs money.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #6
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Name:  track trailer.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  688.9 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsubjugator View Post
I've never towed anything in my life but one of these trailers seems like such a nice thing to have for track days. What's the 'speed limit' on the trailers like? I noticed the one you linked ha[ATTACH][ATTACH]255425d a top speed of 45MPH. Are you stuck puttering along in the slow lane all the way there and back?
My Leroy Paddock Trailer is rated to 81MPH. Of course I never go over the speed limit . Visit their Web-site for all the info. I wouldn't go over 45MPH with those Home-made trailers. I spend eight hours flat out heading to Watkins Glenn in Track Season. If I had one of those it would take me 15 hours to get there. No way would I trust a bucket of bolts. You must add in cost of a breakdown, loss of 2 days Track time, Hotel costs, sitting on the side of the road waiting for help. If your going to get a trailer, I suggest going with them as they have 3 models to chose from.

Last edited by chief1richard; 03-16-2021 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
Rumbloki176.00
bentom2335.50
M2guru383.50
      03-29-2021, 12:07 AM   #7
kristobias
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Very nice! I have the Curt minus the trailer wiring. Makes for a great setup for a bike rack.
Attached Images

bentom2335.50