BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Fixed backs seats-will race tire/rims fit thru truck area?

02-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #23
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Yeah, it’s solvable. The stop at a random hotel midway between Seattle and Buttonwillow is where things like locks and chains becomes a hassle to figure out.
Indeed. I've never really been concerned with my stuff getting stolen at the track. Then again, I do not typically run with shady groups

Valid point on the stop-over hotels.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      02-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #24
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a set of Cobra's for the car.

I've already removed my back seats and I was wondering who on this group has fitted a set of mounted track rims into their M2 with fixed back seats?

i will assume if its possible they would need to be packed thru the trunk...

Also was wondering if anyone that has put seats in sold their OEMS?

If yes how much did U get 4 them?

TIA,
HAZAMT
Are you going with the Cobra Negaro? I'm considering that seat myself. Will be my next Track Mod.
      02-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #25
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Yes I've decided on a set of Nagaro's.

HMS swayed me away for the Sparco QRT Carbon's. Since they would end u weighing almost the same weight with the additional mounting hardware.

I'm targeting May/June for the seats and belts.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      02-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #26
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Yes I've decided on a set of Nagaro's.

HMS swayed me away for the Sparco QRT Carbon's. Since they would end u weighing almost the same weight with the additional mounting hardware.

I'm targeting May/June for the seats and belts.
What's the additional mounting hardware they mentioned? They're both side mount seats.
      02-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #27
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
What's the additional mounting hardware they mentioned? They're both side mount seats.
This was an email from HMS:

I just weighed a Nogaro in GRP fully dressed and it weighs 19lbs.

You have a few advantages with the Nogaro over the Sparco you mentioned.

1. The angles and side bolsters are correct to be used with a stock 3 point seat belt.

2. This seat is approved to be used a Schroth quickfit.

3. Bk auto makes some really nice mounting solution for the Nogaro that bolt directly into most M cars and use their stock sliders manual or auto. https://www.bkauto.com/category_s/85.htm

4. Cobra offers a custom option which allow you to match the seats to your interior. You can change materials, colors and stitching colors

5. These will get you lower in the car than any other setup.

The advantage you have with the Sparco is the 12lbs saved in seats but this may get eaten up by the factory specific mount you may need. With the Sparco you will need something like the planted backet vehicle specific bracket, sliders and then the side plates. With the Nogaro/bk auto setup you will use the factory sliders and add a side plate to them. This eliminates the need for the factory specific mounting bracket which in turn gets you lower in the car and cuts weight.

The planted bracket weighs around 7lbs, you would need a drivers and passengers with the sparco seats!

Let me know what your thinking or if you have any questions,

Thanks

Brian
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #28
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
This was an email from HMS:

I just weighed a Nogaro in GRP fully dressed and it weighs 19lbs.

You have a few advantages with the Nogaro over the Sparco you mentioned.

1. The angles and side bolsters are correct to be used with a stock 3 point seat belt.

2. This seat is approved to be used a Schroth quickfit.

3. Bk auto makes some really nice mounting solution for the Nogaro that bolt directly into most M cars and use their stock sliders manual or auto. https://www.bkauto.com/category_s/85.htm

4. Cobra offers a custom option which allow you to match the seats to your interior. You can change materials, colors and stitching colors

5. These will get you lower in the car than any other setup.

The advantage you have with the Sparco is the 12lbs saved in seats but this may get eaten up by the factory specific mount you may need. With the Sparco you will need something like the planted backet vehicle specific bracket, sliders and then the side plates. With the Nogaro/bk auto setup you will use the factory sliders and add a side plate to them. This eliminates the need for the factory specific mounting bracket which in turn gets you lower in the car and cuts weight.

The planted bracket weighs around 7lbs, you would need a drivers and passengers with the sparco seats!

Let me know what your thinking or if you have any questions,

Thanks

Brian
Just FYI - Brey Kraus makes the same side mounts for the Sparcos to mount to the OEM sliders. I have them. So I would take that point with a grain of salt. Such that the sparco would be lighter or the two.

The "lower" comment is also bogus.

The Sparco QRT performance is probably better direct comparison from a "luxury material"'standpoint than the Carbon.

That said, the the accessible 3 point angle and schroth quickfit "cert" are valid. Note tracks that I frequent won't allow any 4 point harnesses regardless of certification or DOT approvals. So if you go that direction, worth checking in advance.

Would recommend sitting in both if possible before spending $$$, but you can't go wrong with either.
      02-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #29
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Just FYI - Brey Kraus makes the same side mounts for the Sparcos to mount to the OEM sliders. I have them. So I would take that point with a grain of salt. Such that the sparco would be lighter or the two.

The Sparco QRT performance is probably better direct comparison from a "luxury material"'standpoint than the Carbon.

That said, the the accessible 3 point angle and schroth quickfit "cert" are valid. Note tracks that I frequent won't allow any 4 point harnesses regardless of certification or DOT approvals. So if you go that direction, worth checking in advance.

Would recommend sitting in both if possible before spending $$$, but you can't go wrong with either.

Yeah, all good points and thx 4 the post. Gotta love theses boards..

I really like the cost/weight benefit of the Sparco's but don't know where I can go locally to test fit them.

I certainly have to take into account the ease of just having HMS take car of everything. They are only 20 minutes from me.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:49 AM   #30
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Yeah, all good points and thx 4 the post. Gotta love theses boards..

I really like the cost/weight benefit of the Sparco's but don't know where I can go locally to test fit them.

I certainly have to take into account the ease of just having HMS take car of everything. They are only 20 minutes from me.
HMS does the install also? That's good to know. I didn't realize they had a shop.
      02-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #31
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
HMS does the install also? That's good to know. I didn't realize they had a shop.
Joe Marko (owner) has moved to his NC store close to the NASCAR operations to provide all their safety needs.

I've known Joe and worked with him while running the BMW Car Club locally as we both were board members.

I remember Joe at his 1st shop in Marblehead back in the early 90's.

HMS's sweet spot is anything safety related for track work.

They do a super job installing seats, Schroth Belts etc.

Were lucky to have them close by!

See you on Track!
Appreciate 0