medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Anyone Purchase the tire and wheel coverage

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I finalized my paperwork today and didn't add any of the optional warranty coverages. The wheel and tire coverage was very compelling, but not for the price. The coverage seemed excellent. Repair/replacement for any damage. I find this hard to believe, but also didn't have the fine print. What is considered the threshold for a repair? They wanted $3200 for 5yrs coverage. I declined, and they didn't try to counter with a lower price. I think if you could get it for 1500 it may be very compelling. I know that my car insurance will cover wheels, but the bmw coverage didn't have a limit on claims.

My question: I have a racing for tacobell and make a run for the border. Pulling up to the drove through window I scrape a wheel. Is it covered? Answer; Yes, if the can't repair it the wheel will get replaced.

My two cents is that these wheels will be difficult to repair and may result in more replacements. It could be worth the coverage at a discount rate. Wanted to share my thoughts as others might be signing soon.
      12-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

You would have to replace three wheels for this to be worth it. You can take your new car to discount tire and get warranty for new tires for around $200. A whole new set of frozen gold 763's are $3900. I do plan to get windshield replacement protection, however.
      12-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
You would have to replace three wheels for this to be worth it. You can take your new car to discount tire and get warranty for new tires for around $200. A whole new set of frozen gold 763's are $3900. I do plan to get windshield replacement protection, however.
The big question is how easy are the frozen gold wheels going to be to repair? I spent ~$500 over 2.5 years having damage repaired on my last car. Great work and couldn't tell any repair had been done, but they weren't such a complicated color. Time will tell. If they can be repaired so it's unnoticeable, then to me, the insurance isn't worth it. If they can't, then the insurance would force bmw to repair it until it's right or replace the wheel. I've got coverage through my auto insurance, but I'm sure there is a limit to how many claims. Again, this is if you could negotiate a 50% discount on the coverage because full price is equal to s new set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
2taCoS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Things I considered with tire and wheel packages in the past:
How are the roads in your state? Well maintained or potholes to dodge? Colder weather conditions typically = poor road surfaces during and after winter. I'm a careful driver and cracked a rim on my F80 + had bubbles on sidewalls on 3 separate occasions. Package was $1,800 back then and it transferred to the next owner. Was absolutely worth it IMO.
Things to consider with the CS:
The front calipers have MINIMAL clearance. Already some owners with gouged rims from pebbles caught between barrel and caliper. Are 763s susceptible to failure eg. a hairline crack (I wouldn't know)? Peace of mind/no questions asked should something go wrong...for $50pm.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

I did not purchase the extra coverage and look what happened to my Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire already. Less than 50 miles on the odometer~~~

Fortunately, the screw was a little stubby one. Pulled it out and it didn't go through and no air leak.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2taCoS View Post
Things I considered with tire and wheel packages in the past:
How are the roads in your state? Well maintained or potholes to dodge? Colder weather conditions typically = poor road surfaces during and after winter. I'm a careful driver and cracked a rim on my F80 + had bubbles on sidewalls on 3 separate occasions. Package was $1,800 back then and it transferred to the next owner. Was absolutely worth it IMO.
Things to consider with the CS:
The front calipers have MINIMAL clearance. Already some owners with gouged rims from pebbles caught between barrel and caliper. Are 763s susceptible to failure eg. a hairline crack (I wouldn't know)? Peace of mind/no questions asked should something go wrong...for $50pm.
I didn't ask the direct question today, but based on the sales pitch those barrel scratches from stones caught between the caliper and barrel would be covered. The nice part was that there was no limit on claims. No clue if there was a deductible or fee per claim, but I don't believe there was. Can't be added post signing papers, so singing to think about ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The details. Not all of this was disclosed at the time. Especially the deductible and limit of repairs. 4 claims per contract term is not many. Funny enough you would get 10 wheel replacement claims.

Important coverage information.
• A $50 deductible per tire and a $100 deductible per wheel
will be applied upon each claim.
• Aggregate claim limits exist on claims per the term of the
agreement. The number of claim occurrences is limited to
two times (2X) the number of years of the agreement term.
• Additional exclusions may apply. Please see your
agreement for specific coverage details.
Tire & Wheel Protection with Cosmetic Repair
includes the above and adds:
Cosmetic wheel repair for damage such as nicks, scrapes,
and curb rash.
Important coverage information.
• Cosmetic wheel repair is limited to a total of four claims
during the contract term.
• Cosmetic wheel repair is limited to sanding, painting, or
refinishing the wheel without the need to apply additional
material or bend/straighten the wheel.
Appreciate 0