BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Rollbar / Half-Cage

02-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #45
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

For the rear we laser cut plates and welded those in and then welded the weld nuts to those.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
msendit419.50
      02-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #46
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
thank you very much! that is a great idea, i will probably do something similar. looks like i may have to drill one more hole.
i wanted the cms cage, but i ended up with the ap clubsport cage, it connects to the top of the rear seats the same way the cms does, but without that bend
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #47
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

My car is headed up to the CMS shop in Des Moines next month. CMS is planning to use it for templates for a redesigned bolt-in half cage, more similar to their Camaro and Mustang offerings. They are also installing some Cobra Nagaro seats that are inbound from the UK (blue stitching).

Will provide updates as work progresses next month.
Appreciate 1
ebisu81078.00
      02-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #48
madwheeling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

What size hardware M8 or M10 and what shape of weld in nut? Some of them have different kinds of flanges. I am in the planing stages of a custom roll bar and like that as a mounting for the main hoop.

Also what is the thickness of the mounting plates of your cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
I welded in weld nuts from McMaster Carr. I utilized one existing hole then drilled the other 2. This is best pic I have on my phone. 3 holes per leg of the cage. All weld nuts and arp bolts. It's probably the most rock solid bolt in cage setup for an m2.

Anything that goes through the floor pan behind the front seats is junk! Cough studio cough RSR.

If you want a cage that's safe to strap your life to mount it well.
If you are all show and no go you don't need a cage.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #49
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzoommo View Post
My car is headed up to the CMS shop in Des Moines next month. CMS is planning to use it for templates for a redesigned bolt-in half cage, more similar to their Camaro and Mustang offerings. They are also installing some Cobra Nagaro seats that are inbound from the UK (blue stitching).

Will provide updates as work progresses next month.
Do you know if they are planning on offering these Roll Bars after Mock-up. I am very much interested in their cage as it looks like a quality product. Poster GSRBI has one and looks well made.

Last edited by chief1richard; 02-19-2021 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:02 PM   #50
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm working with a builder in the UK for mine. They're working out some stuff to get a US distribution hub setup.

Should have more info in the coming months.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #51
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
For the rear we laser cut plates and welded those in and then welded the weld nuts to those.
How are the fronts mounted on this? Existing holes or did you have drill new ones? Have to weld anything?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:46 AM   #52
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
How are the fronts mounted on this? Existing holes or did you have drill new ones? Have to weld anything?
You can see In the pics I posted that we used one existing hole in the front and I had to drill 2 additional holes. Then we welded in weld nuts.

The back doesn't line up to much that's why we welded in plates and welded weld nuts to the plates.

Like I've been ranting. You can't have a safe cage without going balls deep. It's either safe, partially welded in or it's for show. I don't feel there's an in between.

My cage is one off from a shop in NorCal.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:15 AM   #53
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can see In the pics I posted that we used one existing hole in the front and I had to drill 2 additional holes. Then we welded in weld nuts.

The back doesn't line up to much that's why we welded in plates and welded weld nuts to the plates.

Like I've been ranting. You can't have a safe cage without going balls deep. It's either safe, partially welded in or it's for show. I don't feel there's an in between.

A fully welded in cage if done correctly & welded to all pillars etc is stronger (much more important is the cage design) the big benefit of a 'weld in' over a 'bolt in' is structural rigidity which in turn improves a vehicles performance.
A correctly designed & installed 'bolt in' cage is extremely safe (I've had several in my race/rally cars & can speak from experience).
Yes if you buy a poorly engineered cage from some amateur it's unsafe but that applies to any cage be it 'weld in' or 'bolt in' & it won't be allowed through scrutineering at any half decent competitive event anyway.

Highest quality M2 cages & options... https://www.agi-precision.com.au/pro...in/bmw/bmw-m2/
If you want the facts take a look here... https://www.agi-precision.com.au/whi...-best-for-you/

These are as good a cage as you will buy anywhere, are approved for use in national levels & are used in both 'bolt in' & 'weld in' forms in the majority of tarmac rally competition cars I compete with (which is potentialy one of the most dangerous & highly scrutinized forms of Motorsport you will find anywhere).
      02-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #54
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

For those that have kept (or plan to keep) their rear seats installed with a half cage - I am curious why? I cannot think of any reasons to keep them but do see it done pretty regularly. I'm definitely not trying to be a smart ass - I'm really curious why keep the seats when it seems like there is much more positive in removing them.

Benefits to removing the rear seat - negate the weight gain, do not have to mod the seat assembly (better if want to sell or reinstall), a close out kit can be a much cleaner look, more versatility with the space, etc.

Can't really think of any benefit to keeping the rear seat in place unless maybe you have no where to store it or prefer the aesthetics with it in?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #55
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How difficult was it to get to the holes to weld the nuts in? Did you have to drop the gas tank?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #56
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
For those that have kept (or plan to keep) their rear seats installed with a half cage - I am curious why? I cannot think of any reasons to keep them but do see it done pretty regularly. I'm definitely not trying to be a smart ass - I'm really curious why keep the seats when it seems like there is much more positive in removing them.

Benefits to removing the rear seat - negate the weight gain, do not have to mod the seat assembly (better if want to sell or reinstall), a close out kit can be a much cleaner look, more versatility with the space, etc.

Can't really think of any benefit to keeping the rear seat in place unless maybe you have no where to store it or prefer the aesthetics with it in?
Keeping the rear seats with a half cage is illegal here. If you fit a half cage to a road car in Aus you must remove the rear seats & have the car re-engineered as a 2 seater (same rule in various countries).
Which is why my 275R & other cars with factory fitted cages such as GT3 & CSL etc have no rear seat from the factory & are classed as 2 seaters.
There are some very stupid regulations in the US which I don't understand, but for safety reasons alone you obviously should be removing the rear seat if your fitting a half cage as you don't want anyone back there, plus there's the added weight savings etc.
      02-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #57
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Keeping the rear seats with a half cage is illegal here. If you fit a half cage to a road car in Aus you must remove the rear seats & have the car re-engineered as a 2 seater (same rule in various countries).
Which is why my 275R & other cars with factory fitted cages such as GT3 & CSL etc have no rear seat from the factory & are classed as 2 seaters.
There are some very stupid regulations in the US which I don't understand, but for safety reasons alone you obviously should be removing the rear seat if your fitting a half cage as you don't want anyone back there, plus there's the added weight savings etc.
That is why I'm asking because you still see some people running both - and to me it does not make sense to do so. Now I can't imagine the people that do actually try to carry passengers back there so I'm wondering why they still keep the seat - I assume they have a reason for it.

On your very stupid regulations comment - eh, we have plenty & do not need the government stepping even further into anything else.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 12:42 AM   #58
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A fully welded in cage if done correctly & welded to all pillars etc is stronger (much more important is the cage design) the big benefit of a 'weld in' over a 'bolt in' is structural rigidity which in turn improves a vehicles performance.
A correctly designed & installed 'bolt in' cage is extremely safe (I've had several in my race/rally cars & can speak from experience).
Yes if you buy a poorly engineered cage from some amateur it's unsafe but that applies to any cage be it 'weld in' or 'bolt in' & it won't be allowed through scrutineering at any half decent competitive event anyway.

Highest quality M2 cages & options... https://www.agi-precision.com.au/pro...in/bmw/bmw-m2/
If you want the facts take a look here... https://www.agi-precision.com.au/whi...-best-for-you/

These are as good a cage as you will buy anywhere, are approved for use in national levels & are used in both 'bolt in' & 'weld in' forms in the majority of tarmac rally competition cars I compete with (which is potentialy one of the most dangerous & highly scrutinized forms of Motorsport you will find anywhere).
I disagree that the bolt in cage from your link goes through the floor pan. There is no way that's safe. Have you seen the floor pan in the m2? It's paper thin. I could stab a butter knife through it.

I'm very well aware of what a safely built cage is. My shop neighbor/ friend is Kibbetech off-road. Check out his YouTube. I had him inspect my cage and he said it looked perfect and very structural.

The only safe way to go to the floor pan is with huge plates supporting the legs.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:44 AM   #59
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How difficult was it to get to the holes to weld the nuts in? Did you have to drop the gas tank?
We welded inside the car man. I had the back panels all out and we used weld blankets to weld inside.

The cars are made from multiple layers of metal. (EXCEPT THE FLOOR PAN) lol so the areas my cage is bolted/welded to are not accessible from under the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:47 AM   #60
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree that the bolt in cage from your link goes through the floor pan. There is no way that's safe. Have you seen the floor pan in the m2? It's paper thin. I could stab a butter knife through it.

I'm very well aware of what a safely built cage is. My shop neighbor/ friend is Kibbetech off-road. Check out his YouTube. I had him inspect my cage and he said it looked perfect and very structural.

The only safe way to go to the floor pan is with huge plates supporting the legs.
Look again sunshine they are all built with plates on the upper & underside that sandwich the floor pan. Adam Gotch is ex F1 (Schumacher amongst others ) & knows a little more than some chop shop that builds paddock bashers. Also these cages must be engineer approved & inspected by the FIA governing body not by your neighbor/mate. Lol. Sorry but your way out of your league.
      02-21-2021, 12:56 AM   #61
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Look again sunshine they are all built with plates on the upper & underside that sandwich the floor pan. Adam Gotch is ex F1 (Schumacher amongst others) & knows a little more than some chop shop that builds paddock bashers. Also these cages must be engineer approved & inspected by the FIA governing body not by your neighbor/mate. Lol. Sorry but your way out of your league.
Haha cool
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 01:19 AM   #62
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
I'll just leave this here.... https://www.agi-precision.com.au/history/

I suggest you take a look & reconsider your opinions, you might even learn something.
AGI builds 40 cages a month & has done for over 10 years, Adam also builds true turret to turret weld in cages (not half arsed shit) for WRC, ARC, WEC, TCA, ANDRA, WTA, TAC & anything else you care to mention. AGIs cages for the M2 (or anything else) are as good/safe if not more so than you will get anywhere. Conceited Americans .
      02-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #63
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We welded inside the car man. I had the back panels all out and we used weld blankets to weld inside.

The cars are made from multiple layers of metal. (EXCEPT THE FLOOR PAN) lol so the areas my cage is bolted/welded to are not accessible from under the car.
I see. I always thought that weld nuts needed to be welded from the back side. Assuming you're using some sort of surface mount type?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #64
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see. I always thought that weld nuts needed to be welded from the back side. Assuming you're using some sort of surface mount type?
I'll post a picture of the nuts for you later. I spoke with the race shop in NorCal that built the cage and did it how they said. Then backed that up with the guys at kibbetech and they said it would be plenty strong.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22427.50
      02-21-2021, 09:57 PM   #65
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Do you know if they are planning on offering these Roll Bars after Mock-up. I am very much interested in their cage as it looks like a quality product. Poster GSRBI has one and looks well made.
Yes. It’s my understanding that CM will be adding M2 half cages to their line up. I’m the guinea pig.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #66
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzoommo View Post
Yes. It’s my understanding that CM will be adding M2 half cages to their line up. I’m the guinea pig.
That's good news. I will be very much interested in their Half Cage.