BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Chassis Mount splitter

01-12-2022, 11:47 PM   #1
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Chassis Mount splitter

Has anyone worked with a company or seen any legit chassis Mount splitters for the m?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:05 AM   #2
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
Has anyone worked with a company or seen any legit chassis Mount splitters for the m?
The only ones Ive come across. I found them when looking for custom diffusers and was surprised by their solid prices for parts.

https://artworkbodyshop.com/collecti...plitter-bmw-m2
Attached Images

-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid

Last edited by CoffeeLife; 01-13-2022 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: added photos
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #3
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
The only ones Ive come across. I found them when looking for custom diffusers and was surprised by their solid prices for parts.

How does the oil cooler breath with that splitter covering it up?
      01-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #4
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
Quote:

How does the oil cooler breath with that splitter covering it up?
Looks gapped in the photos with maybe 5mm So not 100% closed off. Since its a custom shop, i feel like they could cut additional space / flow paths for the cooler at little cost.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 11:06 AM   #5
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

I have an OG m2. So I don't have to worry about the oil cooler.

I just feel like there are very few options! I wanted to see if anyone has come across or worked with someone to create something.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Looks gapped in the photos with maybe 5mm So not 100% closed off. Since its a custom shop, i feel like they could cut additional space / flow paths for the cooler at little cost.
Yes, but without the air rushing below the oil cooler creating the low pressure zone the flow through the oil cooler might be less.

I wonder if that splitter HAS to be used in conjunction with the M-perf CF splitter too. Otherwise you'd have a big gap between the middle of the bumper and the splitter and would want to find something to make an air dam there.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

We are making our track splitter chassis mounted and also quick release. The opening will be there for comps. The design was tested & balanced with a wing that we are also setting up a system for quick install/removal. Track functional aero that doesn't have to stay on the car on the street...

Was hoping to debut it at Super Lap Battle at COTA in February - but not sure if we are going to make it with covid & shop renovations slowing us down.
Appreciate 6
blitzyo53.00
GFEA228.50
Rumbloki176.00
Elganja27.00
M2guru383.50
      01-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #8
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c f87 S55

Garage List
MFR engineering. Thats who will be doing mine

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805010
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 04:14 PM   #9
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
We are making our track splitter chassis mounted and also quick release. The opening will be there for comps. The design was tested & balanced with a wing that we are also setting up a system for quick install/removal. Track functional aero that doesn't have to stay on the car on the street...

Was hoping to debut it at Super Lap Battle at COTA in February - but not sure if we are going to make it with covid & shop renovations slowing us down.
You going to be using the Trackwing VMS? I've been thinking of a VMS + 9lives setup...

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 04:58 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

You also need a really good air dam up front to stop the air flow from going between the splitter and under the bumper because the bottom of the m2 bumper isn't completely flat near the fang area. If you have air leakage it will rob alot of the performance from the splitter.

Also I wonder how much down force you will have with the oil cooler venting right down below the splitter on the m2c, that seems like it will create a leak in the pressure differential robbing alot of downforce, like you won't be able to generate as much of a large positive pressure above the splitter, and any low pressure zones you do create under might be affected by the exhaust from the oil cooler.
OG Shark4685.50
      01-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #11
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You also need a really good air dam up front to stop the air flow from going between the splitter and under the bumper because the bottom of the m2 bumper isn't completely flat near the fang area. If you have air leakage it will rob alot of the performance from the splitter.

Also I wonder how much down force you will have with the oil cooler venting right down below the splitter on the m2c, that seems like it will create a leak in the pressure differential robbing alot of downforce, like you won't be able to generate as much of a large positive pressure above the splitter, and any low pressure zones you do create under might be affected by the exhaust from the oil cooler.
Yeah the opening definitely doesn't help but would not eliminate it imo. Not perfect world but still can add appreciatively more downforce than with no splitter at all - just have to get a bit more creative in other areas. And agree on the the first part as well - a couple of ways to go about it imo but both involve some manner of air dam to eliminate that opening.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:23 PM   #12
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
You going to be using the Trackwing VMS? I've been thinking of a VMS + 9lives setup...
If the trackwing is what I'm thinking it is then no not going that route. Looking at something a bit more fixed (secure?) than that. I'm not brave enough to try out the suction cups.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the opening definitely doesn't help but would not eliminate it imo. Not perfect world but still can add appreciatively more downforce than with no splitter at all - just have to get a bit more creative in other areas. And agree on the the first part as well - a couple of ways to go about it imo but both involve some manner of air dam to eliminate that opening.
It'll definitely add some downforce because air flow below the splitter will absolutely be faster than above it creating a low pressure zone and high pressure zone. But that oil cooler opening will really drop downforce generation vs. not having it. My fear is that the result is the front splitter won't be as powerful as it needs to be to balance a large rear wing. Because it's a massive opening it will really allow air to flow over the top of the spoiler faster than what you'd want so the air speed delta between the top of the splitter and bottom is not going to be as large meaning the air pressure delta won't be as big meaning less downforce.

My next thought process would be to create a duct under the car to better reintroduce the air exiting from the oil cooler to under the car so it isn't a messy plume that could damage the splitters performance. Maybe have this as a duct going backwards.

Some large canards will help too.

Also I remember reading an article from an ///M engineer saying the bottom mounted oil cooler will affect air flow under the car in a negative manner, but it was a necessary sacrifice for better cooling. So it's always going to be a trade off.
      01-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #14
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I am very interested in seeing that!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:41 PM   #15
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

In a perfect world I want a lip/splitter that blends to the bottom of the bumper, is possible quick release.
Everything on the market MFR, artwork body shops, they aren't chassis Mount.

True chassis Mount you should be able to stand on it! The two I mentioned above would buckle.

So far what I've come up with can be seen in the picture below.

I bought the RKP GP style lip like tyspeed based his aero off of. I've tried asking him some questions and he helped a little but I need more time with him lol.
The problem with the RKP lip is that any splitter blade you hang under it has an upwards angle. This totally defeats the purpose lol. So far I've shimmed it 3/8" in the front and when I have the car on the ground I'll check to see if that helped. I also mounted some professional awesome carbon splitter rods. Pretty cool units. Only problem is I can't adjust the length much to add force pushing my blade down. The splitter rods are mounted to the crash bar. I made a little bracket and opened up the holes that were existing in the center of the bumper.

I had a local company cut a blade for me out of ABS. I didn't want to sacrifice the RKP carbon blade on track or scraping shit.

Another problem with the RKP lip is it hangs low, so if a blade came off the back of it to Mount to the chassis or belly skid plate there would be about a 1" void or open space.

My aero goals at this point aren't super crazy. I will be running a 235 wing and trunk. So I just want a little something something in the front to add balance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:43 PM   #16
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

I also used some of that foam tape from Home Depot to seal the void between the splitter blade and the carbon lip. My spacers created a void. The one helping tip from tyspeed was to add the spacers.

I've been bugging SLON workshop on IG to make a chassis Mount setup. They have a bad ass one for the m4. Team schirmer makes a good setup but it's only for the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 04:25 PM   #17
SOM_M2C44
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 SOM M2C, '24 Dravit M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
In a perfect world I want a lip/splitter that blends to the bottom of the bumper, is possible quick release.
Everything on the market MFR, artwork body shops, they aren't chassis Mount.

True chassis Mount you should be able to stand on it! The two I mentioned above would buckle.

So far what I've come up with can be seen in the picture below.

I bought the RKP GP style lip like tyspeed based his aero off of. I've tried asking him some questions and he helped a little but I need more time with him lol.
The problem with the RKP lip is that any splitter blade you hang under it has an upwards angle. This totally defeats the purpose lol. So far I've shimmed it 3/8" in the front and when I have the car on the ground I'll check to see if that helped. I also mounted some professional awesome carbon splitter rods. Pretty cool units. Only problem is I can't adjust the length much to add force pushing my blade down. The splitter rods are mounted to the crash bar. I made a little bracket and opened up the holes that were existing in the center of the bumper.

I had a local company cut a blade for me out of ABS. I didn't want to sacrifice the RKP carbon blade on track or scraping shit.

Another problem with the RKP lip is it hangs low, so if a blade came off the back of it to Mount to the chassis or belly skid plate there would be about a 1" void or open space.

My aero goals at this point aren't super crazy. I will be running a 235 wing and trunk. So I just want a little something something in the front to add balance.
Do you have more pictures of your setup? Looking to possibly make something custom and looking for ideas.
      08-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #18
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

here you go: https://spagesport.ca/products/m2-front-splitter

This is a proper chassis mounted splitter for the OG m2 with proper diffuser kicks to create even more suction than a flat surface. It even directs air flow outwards to create outwash and help push away the front tire wake from entering the floor and this also helps with wheel well air evacuation.

More images on their instagram.

This is overall the BEST splitter I have ever seen for the m2, I was hoping Verus engineering would get on board but they aren't getting into the F87 market for the time being, only the G87.
      08-10-2023, 09:52 PM   #19
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
here you go: https://spagesport.ca/products/m2-front-splitter

This is a proper chassis mounted splitter for the OG m2 with proper diffuser kicks to create even more suction than a flat surface. It even directs air flow outwards to create outwash and help push away the front tire wake from entering the floor and this also helps with wheel well air evacuation.

More images on their instagram.

This is overall the BEST splitter I have ever seen for the m2, I was hoping Verus engineering would get on board but they aren't getting into the F87 market for the time being, only the G87.
Zebulon > Spage

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqEF-E8u..._web_copy_link
      08-11-2023, 12:03 AM   #20
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Very interesting never seen them before, but the question was for the og m2 and this does not fit.

So for the m2c what you linked is the best.

For the OG m2 spage is still the best.

Actually even for outright downforce the spage will likely be better, because it has more surface area, 3 much larger diffuser kicks, and there's no oil cooler opening to mess up the low pressure opening in the middle.
      08-11-2023, 12:21 AM   #21
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Very interesting never seen them before, but the question was for the og m2 and this does not fit.

So for the m2c what you linked is the best.

For the OG m2 spage is still the best.

Actually even for outright downforce the spage will likely be better, because it has more surface area, 3 much larger diffuser kicks, and there's no oil cooler opening to mess up the low pressure opening in the middle.
Lots more nuance and details than simply slapping some tunnels. Difference is that Zebulon is a known, tested, and widely trusted aero developer in professional Motorsports. This solution for M2 was a long process and that cooler vent doesn’t appreciably reduce its downforce. Lastly of course it can be used with either car, Ryan could just as easily offer a filled in solution.

Also the chassis mounts are using gas springs which are quick release and enable the splitter to take upward impact of 1-1.5’’ while being completely rigid in the other direction.

I put the > because of the absurdity of your declaration of “best”.

If you want to explore aero solutions Zebulon is worth a conversation.
      08-11-2023, 12:26 AM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Lots more nuance and details than simply slapping some tunnels. Difference is that Zebulon is a known, tested, and widely trusted aero developer in professional Motorsports. This solution for M2 was a long process and that cooler vent doesn’t appreciably reduce its downforce. Lastly of course it can be used with either car, Ryan could just as easily offer a filled in solution.

Also the chassis mounts are using gas springs which are quick release and enable the splitter to take upward impact of 1-1.5’’ while being completely rigid in the other direction.

I put the > because of the absurdity of your declaration of “best”.

If you want to explore aero solutions Zebulon is worth a conversation.
Yup I agree, without CFD data my assumptions are absolutely meaningless and so are yours. Btw I said likely.

> Still implies better or best, so your saying the exact same thing.

The m2c has a different front bumper, so no it can't be used on either car...