BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW M2 CS Gets 450 HP (Specs and Info From Exclusive Preview Event)

09-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #243
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
I don't know what planet people are on that they think a GT4 is in the same price range as the M2CS, at least in the US. And please let me know whenever people with comps transform them into CS's for 20k with labor. The roof alone is about 12 hours of labor. And the GT4 is gonna be marked up like crazy. I can get a CS at MSRP but not a GT4. I built a GT4 the other day with the options I would want, it came out to 124k $US I have an OG M2 heavily modded I love it, I've driven a Comp I love it, the CS will be the best version of a car that every has loved every version of. The sum of all the parts and them working in unison will create another car everyone loves. Plus the exclusivity factor. If I can get one for 80-85 it's a done deal for me.
On another thread, people were predicting a US MSRP starting at $95K. That is $4K to the GT4 starting price. With add-ons, my GT4 came out to be $115K. M2CS would probably be ~$110K with add-one. And in my mind, they're basically the same price.

Also, as said before, Porsche will produce as much as there is demand. Sure there may be markups in the beginning. But many Porsche dealerships said they will honor MSRP after the initial hype.

I'm more concerned that the M2CS will have ADM with it being actually limited and in production for only 9 months.
US pricing will not be 95k unless I'm totally wrong. If it is then yes they are in the same ballpark. But I don't believe it will be that high. If it's is then I'm def out.
      09-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #244
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Daaang....For as many times as P cars have been mentioned in this 12 page thread I thought I might be on a Porsche forum . They are great cars no doubt, but you're either a Porsche sports car kind of guy or you're not. I'm not. I am a BMW guy so I'm on a BMW forum. I'm not going to go over and look at a Porsche forum, but I have to wonder if the guys over there are raving about how great BMW's are and what a crappy value their special edition P cars are. Probably not.....

P.S. my friend who is a Porsche guy said this is how you price a Porsche. You find the bottom line base price of the model you want then spec the car out properly and figure about double.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00
      09-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #245
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

The front page just pushed G80 SOP in March 2020. It seems the CS finds its biggest enemy from within the company
      09-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #246
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Quote:
Yes... especially M3.
It is supposed to look like an M2. The CS is an advanced M2 not a whole different car. If you want a whole new car get another brand.
Exactly..
I notice a CS immediately when I see one
Same here. There are several visual cues including wheels being the most obvious. CS models look bad ass. Haters always gonna hate. :
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #247
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
I don't know what planet people are on that they think a GT4 is in the same price range as the M2CS, at least in the US. And please let me know whenever people with comps transform them into CS's for 20k with labor. The roof alone is about 12 hours of labor. And the GT4 is gonna be marked up like crazy. I can get a CS at MSRP but not a GT4. I built a GT4 the other day with the options I would want, it came out to 124k $US I have an OG M2 heavily modded I love it, I've driven a Comp I love it, the CS will be the best version of a car that every has loved every version of. The sum of all the parts and them working in unison will create another car everyone loves. Plus the exclusivity factor. If I can get one for 80-85 it's a done deal for me.
The M2CS was presented in Europe and the comparsion with the GT4 in this thread started with reference to the European market. It is a fact that on this market the price difference for base cars is less than 5 K. Standard equipment is not much different so if you end up with a much higher price on the GT4 it's just because Porsche offer options that you value and which are not available in the BMW catalog.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #248
spd974
Private
Rep
Drives: Base Civic / 981 GT4

Hi guys,

For me the situation is a bit different and I would not mind getting your advice.

I currently daily a basic Civic and on the weekend I drive a 981 GT4.

I was thinking about trading both those cars in to get a BMW M2 CS with manual transmission.

Does it make sense? I would not mind seeing what you guys think.

Thanks!
      09-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #249
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
US pricing will not be 95k unless I'm totally wrong. If it is then yes they are in the same ballpark. But I don't believe it will be that high. If it's is then I'm def out.
Don't think it will be $95k either. Hopefully we find out at the unveiling in November.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #250
Hegge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
The front page just pushed G80 SOP in March 2020. It seems the CS finds its biggest enemy from within the company
Two different cars. One is limited edition vs a car that will be on lots everywhere. One is a compact coupe vs large sedan. DCT vs regular ZF8 automatic transmission. RWD vs AWD. Plus M3 has that grille.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #251
Hegge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Daaang....For as many times as P cars have been mentioned in this 12 page thread I thought I might be on a Porsche forum . They are great cars no doubt, but you're either a Porsche sports car kind of guy or you're not. I'm not. I am a BMW guy so I'm on a BMW forum. I'm not going to go over and look at a Porsche forum, but I have to wonder if the guys over there are raving about how great BMW's are and what a crappy value their special edition P cars are. Probably not.....

P.S. my friend who is a Porsche guy said this is how you price a Porsche. You find the bottom line base price of the model you want then spec the car out properly and figure about double.
Yes 911's are expensive. I built a 911 carrera S and ended up at $130k. The new 911 GT3 and turbo will be over $160k. M2 CS will feel like a bargain at MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #252
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Can we talk production numbers for the M2cs?

We know worldwide it will be about 2200...

So, what does that translate for the USA market?

I was thinking 450-500???

Thoughts 🤔
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #253
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
On another thread, people were predicting a US MSRP starting at $95K. That is $4K to the GT4 starting price. With add-ons, my GT4 came out to be $115K. M2CS would probably be ~$110K with add-one. And in my mind, they're basically the same price.

Also, as said before, Porsche will produce as much as there is demand. Sure there may be markups in the beginning. But many Porsche dealerships said they will honor MSRP after the initial hype.

I'm more concerned that the M2CS will have ADM with it being actually limited and in production for only 9 months.
I can see it getting that high with dealer markups because of the last point you mention. But I am really hoping that the US MSRP is much more reasonable than that.

First I hope that BMW NA learned some things about their M customers with the F80CS variants. For the price of the vehicle the actual added value perceived by customers was too low. What started out as "wait-list' vehicles (albeit probably not to the degree that M2CS lists sound to be going) are now still sitting on lots and can't be sold. While most agree it's the best iteration of the F80, they just don't agree with it's price point in the market relative to it's competition. Originally with worse lease residuals that the Base/Comp F80's and the very high MSRP's I think they were leasing in the $1400-1500's and higher maybe? In the end BMWNA gave $6,000 or $7,000 "trunk money" on unsold CS's to dealers along with lease residuals to match the base M3. Some dealers went even further and gave the Added Value away to customers as well getting leases in the $800's. The F80 Base to CS was a 50% increase in price. If BMWNA does that to the M2CS it will be $90k starting. Then apply any dealer "market adjustment" to that! Add some CCB's and all the options and you've got a 110k - 120k F87 M2. That's absurd.

Second, August 2019 YTD financials show that 2.1% of total sales were 2 series. Not sure how much of that is M2, but even if it's a half of that it's only 2,446 units. For the M2CS, we know 2,200 units are going to be made worldwide. How many of those are going to come to the US? The US got about 300/700 M4 GTS. My point is, this is a drop in the bucket for BMW. What reason do they have to make it a 90k car? Is it even in the realm of what you can get elsewhere for $90k? What can $90k get you in the C8 platform? They aren't going to make any money off of doing that so the only real reason for that would be to get that perception of exclusivity like I believe they tried for with the F80CS which we know (and they now know) didn't work. Having M3/M4CS's still sitting on dealer lots unsold is not a good thing. The 2 series and the M2 are supposed to be BMW's entry models. They should be intended to grab younger buyers that turn into BMW lifelong customers, not gouge the market because of limited production.

...I'm still hoping for mid 70's USD MSRP...(fingers crossed).
      09-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #254
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Guys, I have digged out some new info on the M2 CS after discussing the car with a bunch of my contacts over the past few days. The carbon roof, carbon bonnet and front lip seem to be different from the M Performance product range available for the M2 and M2C. They all look different. The rear spoiler won't be a M Performance part. It is only M2 CS, but you can get it via your dealer's parts department.

BMW M has not gone through the carbon parts bin at M Performance, but decided to develop their own parts. Of course, the mirror caps seem to be the same as before. The diffuser might be slightly different as well. I was still stunned when I heard it. I thought those guys at BMW had to cut cost???? Why re-invent "the wheel"?

Also the M performance exhaust won't be on the car in Europe due to emission regulations. I hear stories it will have the standard exhaust with different carbon end pipes, but I have not been able to confirm that.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 09-23-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 4
      09-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #255
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:

Porsche guys think they are the best. And they think their cars are the best. So no, they are not raving about BMW. In fact, they are crapping on BMW pretty regularly. This is done more out of arrogance than knowledge or driving experience. As to your Porsche friend, you can price a Porsche out of your pocket’s range with cost options very quickly, but I don’t know about double base price. I’ve never seen that and don’t believe it’s even possible. Finally, I do agree with your overall sentiment and I get very tired of members here worshiping Porsche. There are tons and tons of used Porsches on the market, many of which are at very reasonable and even modest prices. If you love the brand so much, just go buy one. It’s not hard. There is no need at all for so many comments about the GT4. It’s a completely different car and frankly, I think it’s ridiculous to cross-shop it with the M2 CS. Finally, I hate to break the news to folks, but it is not a real GT car. It has a Carrera engine, not an engine developed by Porsche’s GT division.
Appreciate 4
Tornado1M1209.00
Sedan_Clan24980.50
dezzracer1182.50
devo755.00
      09-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #256
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I still think this will stay under 80k here in the US. 77k for 6MT with no options.

Maybe 82ish with DCT and something comparable to exec pack.

Not including tax
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #257
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Guys, I have digged out some new info on the M2 CS after discussing the car with a bunch of my contacts over the past few days. The carbon roof, carbon bonnet and front lip seem to be different from the M Performance product range available for the M2 and M2C. They all look different. The rear spoiler won't be a M Performance part. It is only M2 CS, but you can get it via your dealer's parts department.

BMW M has not gone through the carbon parts bin at M Performance, but decided to develop their own parts. Of course, the mirror caps seem to be the same as before. The diffuser might be slightly different as well. I was still stunned when I heard it. I thought those guys at BMW had to cut cost???? Why re-invent "the wheel"?

Also the M performance exhaust won't be on the car in Europe due to emission regulations. I hear stories it will have the standard exhaust with different carbon end pipes, but I have not been able to confirm that.

MR
For the carbon roof I confirm, I said in my initial post " Also think the large mesh of the carbon roof does not look that nice ", i.e. I meant it looked different with a larger carbon fiber mesh . The front lip seemed also slightly different, the rear spoiler was more sculpted and the hood was M3/4 CS style.
On the other hand the rear diffuser of the car in Brussels was an M Performance part. I looked below the diffuser to check the exhaust and saw a M performance marking in the middle part of the diffuser close to the inwards edge
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #258
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I guess I am the minority. I kind of hope BMW will price the M2 CS high like the M3 CS and M4 GTS. Why? Because people will drop off dealers wait-lists like flies and price will eventually go down. M3/M4 CS could be had $20k off of MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #259
Hegge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

MR
MR it sounds like the CS is more unique than what you thought?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #260
Hegge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I still think this will stay under 80k here in the US. 77k for 6MT with no options.

Maybe 82ish with DCT and something comparable to exec pack.

Not including tax
$80 - $85K base is my guess. Hoping the base stays below $90k. Can't wait until price is announced so we can end the speculation.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #261
Hegge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Porsche guys think they are the best. And they think their cars are the best. So no, they are not raving about BMW. In fact, they are crapping on BMW pretty regularly. This is done more out of arrogance than knowledge or driving experience. As to your Porsche friend, you can price a Porsche out of your pocket’s range with cost options very quickly, but I don’t know about double base price. I’ve never seen that and don’t believe it’s even possible. Finally, I do agree with your overall sentiment and I get very tired of members here worshiping Porsche. There are tons and tons of used Porsches on the market, many of which are at very reasonable and even modest prices. If you love the brand so much, just go buy one. It’s not hard. There is no need at all for so many comments about the GT4. It’s a completely different car and frankly, I think it’s ridiculous to cross-shop it with the M2 CS. Finally, I hate to break the news to folks, but it is not a real GT car. It has a Carrera engine, not an engine developed by Porsche’s GT division.
I have read the same thing that people are upset that the 718 GT4 does not have the GT3 engine. Also they don't think the 718 GT4 is that much better than the 981 GT4. The horsepower, torque, and 0-60 are too similar. Plus the 718 GT4 is a lot more expensive at $100k before options and is not limited edition.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #262
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
MR it sounds like the CS is more unique than what you thought?
Yep! I should have gone to Brussels to see it and then I could have confirmed more after seeing it with my own eyes.

I also heard people say that it is pretty damn capable on track. More than the Sport Auto numbers might suggest.

Time will tell what that means, but it good to hear they have made something more special for collectors to park in their collections.

MR
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00
      09-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #263
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Although the US price for the M2 CS is still unknown, merely on the basis of maths extrapolation, our guesstimate is ± $85K for the US:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman1977 View Post
Quote:
I still stand by my Spring 2017 guesstimate (±150% compared to the base model list price).
Got an info today by somebody high up at BMW that we're gonna be looking at around 95k € base which would prove your point Artemis - caught me off guard though I must say.
Was hoping for 80k € base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Using the 1.5x multiplier.
Base M2 ~$53k = $79.5k
M2C ~$59k = $88.5k
± €95K for the M2 CS:
  • ± 60% extra compared to the original M2 (2016 list price);
  • ± 45% extra compared to the M2 Competition (2019 list price).
If we do that math for the US we end up around $85K. Time will tell.

Quite likely the M2 CS price-setting may be perceived by lots of enthusiasts as 'the elephant in the room'.

///Mbitious
      09-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #264
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Although the US price for the M2 CS is still unknown, merely on the basis of maths extrapolation, our guesstimate is ± $85K for the US
Ah thanks for clarifying Artemis. Didn't do the USD conversion.
Appreciate 0