BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Thermal One Day M School Report - 7 July 2017

07-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Thermal One Day M School Report - 7 July 2017

So took advantage of a BMW offer for the One Day Driver's School and upgraded to the One Day M School. I chose Thermal because I have been to Spartanburg twice and wanted to see how the car handled the heat.

As expected the day started very hot and got hotter. Early morning temps when we first hit the track were around 108 degrees Fahrenheit and by the end of the day were 122 degrees Fahrenheit.

My offer included two nights at the La Quinta Embassy Suites which is about 20 minutes from the Track. The hotel includes an evening social with beer, wine, cocktails and light snacks Monday through Friday and full breakfast in the morning. Hotel is nice enough and is well located in La Quinta.

When you arrive at the Thermal Club, the BMW center is immediately to the left of the security gate. There is citrus flavored and bottled water as well as tea and coffee available all day.

The day starts with an hour lecture that could be shortened in my opinion. They start with the instructors introducing themselves with a brief history of their background. Our instructors were Dave, Robert, and Adam. All of the instructors have considerable experience. Next they cover all the basics of seating, hand position/movement and vehicle dynamics and at the end of the lecture, they get a little deeper on vehicle dynamics and proper driving line.

Our class had 7 individuals. My wife and I have an X5 and an M4; for the rest of the class, the F80, F83, E92, X6 and 340 were represented. The F80 driver had already done the One Day M School and was back to do it again and the others had done some other driving or autocross events so everyone in our class had done some type of school or driving event experience. All exercises are done in DCT versions of either the F80, F82 or F87 with DSC set in MDM/Traction. The F8X cars are Competition Package cars with Carbon Ceramic Brakes and 19" wheels.

The 7 of us were broken into two groups. Everyone gets their own car. The instructor rides in his own car and communicates with you via two-way radio.

First Event:
For my group, the first exercise was the skid pad; see aqua on the track picture below. Here the goal is to learn to sustain a drift in the F80 with no DSC assistance. This is done one at a time with the instructor sitting side seat actively instructing you the entire time. You start with gaining an understanding of understeer and oversteer, from there progressing to how to correct oversteer and understeer and then finally to trying to sustain a drift. This progresses based on your personal skill. Some in the group will spend a lot of time learning to just correct while others will spend most of their time trying to sustain the drift. For our group of 4, we each had about 10 minutes on the skid pad.

Second Event:
We then took a quick break to swap to F82s to go do a handling exercise; see the orange line on the track picture below. The straight line across the track is the start point. The instructor first does a lead follow describing the track; vision, braking, turn-in, apex, and acceleration points stopping at each point to discuss in detail. They then do the lead-follow a little faster showing you the proper line. After that, you get in the instructor's car and they do the exercise at full speed so that you can get the in-car perspective. After that, you are turned loose to do lap after lap for about 30 minutes with the instructor focusing on critiquing the first turn of your lap progressing from your acceleration into the corner, at what point and how hard you brake into the corner, watching where you are looking, your turn-in, when and how you let off the brake, how you apex the turn and finally how you accelerate out of the turn.

Third Event:
You then take another quick break to swap cars, this time for my group into the M2. Our group went to the short autocross, marked in red on the track picture below. The same lead-follow process is done; turn by turn follow, slow to faster follow, and instructor ride. After the lead-follow, we were turned loose to do lap after lap. A lap on this course takes right about 30 seconds and all four cars are on the course at one time. If you catch someone, they divert you into the pits to space cars back out. While you are on the track, the instructor is constantly critiquing your performance. This is the course that is later timed after lunch.

Fourth Event:
Next, my group swapped into the F82s to do the long autocross course; green course in the picture below. The same lead-follow process is followed and then you are turned loose. On this course, again all four cars are on the track at the same time, but there are two instructor's critiquing you from opposite ends of the course. If cars begin to get too close, they pit someone to regain spacing.

We then broke for lunch where of course the general conversation is on the exercises and what we have learned so far. Lunch for us was deli sandwiches, salad and a side dish with desert. Several choices on the sandwiches and everything was very good.

Fifth Event:
After lunch, our group went back to the short autocross (red course in picture below) to do timed laps. This time we were in F80s and times were being recorded. You started your run at the solid red line, time started at the dashed line and you had to stop in the red square at the end of the track. In or out of the box added two seconds to your time. Since your time started shortly after you began acceleration, it was important to get a fast start. At the end, brake too soon and you lost valuable fractions of a second, brake too late and you chanced adding two seconds to your time. This exercise lets you put all the skills together in a measured tangible form. They pretty much run one car at a time which was great because you could watch the other drivers and listen to the critique. In the other exercises, you are very focused on what you are doing which makes it difficult enough to just listen to the critique the instructors are giving you, never mind anything they are saying to someone else. They allow you to do a couple of practice laps where they caution you about heating up your tires too much before doing the official timed laps. Overall, you do 6 timed laps if I remember.

Sixth Event:
Next it is back to the long autocross course (green course in below picture) in F82s just to do 30-40 minutes of lapping.

Final Event:
After both groups are done doing the time laps, we all get into M2s and head for the skid pad for the last event of the day and the second competitive event. The rat race. Here they have set up a football shaped course on the skid pad. Cars are placed on opposite sides and race with no DSC activated to catch each other over 3 laps; catch the other driver or be in the lead at the end of 3 laps and you win. If it is tied they keep going till they have a winner. If a car spins out, you stop and start from where you are at. Go inside the cones and you are penalized by two car lengths. Key to this race is steady and smooth. After a practice round, the racing begins, you stay in until you lose and there is an overall winner.

F87 vs F80/82:
It was really neat going directly from the F87 to the F82. The F87 is a joy to drive and you can feel significant differences between the two cars. For me, I felt the F87 was working harder than the F82, but there certainly was no lack of power or braking in the F87 on this course. After lunch, for the timed event we drove the F80 on the same short course that we drove the M2 on earlier. The F80 definitely accelerated faster, braked harder and you could feel the weight difference as compared to the F87. On the short course, the F87 stayed more composed, the F80 was tail happy. I felt you certainly worked harder in the F80 than in the F87 getting around this course. After this experience in my opinion, it takes more skill to be fast in the F80 than it does the F87.

Temperatures & Performance:
Despite 122 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures, pushing these cars as hard as we could and running the AC at full blast the whole time the brakes and cooling of all the cars never had an issue. I did have the power steering go out on both the F82 and F87 near the end of both autocross events, but most of the others were fine. I think one other person had this issue also in the F80s during the timed event. My understanding is that once the steering cools down, the steering comes back just fine. One F87, driven by someone else did display a drivetrain malfunction and the F82 driven by my wife on the final autocross event developed a screeching noise from one of the front brakes. We think this was just a rock caught in the shield, but they switched her to another car.

For those interested, tire temperatures in the F80 were just over 200 degrees Fahrenheit at the end of the timed event, but I did my best time on my third to final lap with tire temps in the 170ish degrees Fahrenheit range. The tires did get noticeably greasy at the end. All the cars were running Continental tires.

On the Instructors:
It is amazing how much the instructors see and know about what is going on in the car from outside of the car. They provide outstanding personalized critiques of your performance without being critical and are constantly pushing you to push yourself and the car harder. All exercises are by choice and the instructors seem to quickly determine how hard and when to push you to get you to reach your full potential.

Final Thoughts:
For those who have never driven like this. Vision is what they drive home the most. You have to be looking as far ahead as you can to get the best line. The thing I found most difficult was braking as late and as hard as I could and coming off the brake smoothly as I completed the turn-in and transitioned to acceleration. The instructors stress that you should be engaging the ABS every time; if you are not, you are braking too soon. In our daily driving, we tend to brake easy with increasing pressure.

I also found that my driving position is considerably different on the track than when I'm daily driving. I had to position the seat back almost completely vertical to keep my shoulders square in the seat. Speaking of seats, most of the cars had the Carbon Structure fabric seating. This was the first time I had seen them in person. They look good if you want black seats and if I did, I would probably option them. They definitely breathe better than the leather and they do grip better when you are sliding the car around.

The two competitive events do receive awards; pictured below. Timed lap gets a medal and the "rat race" winner gets a cool black rat with "The Big Cheese" imprinted on its back and M Performance School imprinted on its belly. My wife won the "rat race" and I won the timed event.

At closing, they give you a swag bag. The items given do change from what I understand so this is pictured below also. Items we were given included a Thermal specific hat, T-shirt, ///M water bottle, notepad, pen, carabiner, ///M lanyard, name tag and of course a certificate.

Thermal as a facility was outstanding. It was as hot as it gets and the heat was truly bearable. The only time I had any issue was the 2-3 laps where the car turned the AC off trying to save the steering. I did not let up and came out a bit sweaty, but that evaporated quickly when I got out of the car. Our hot lap was done with the AC off and windows down. If you come from a hot climate, you could probably do the entire day with the windows down while driving and turn the AC on when stopped.

Overall, you get considerable seat time. For our group, 10 minutes each on the skid pad, 3 - 30-40 minute autocross lapping sessions, and 8 timed laps. No matter what your skill level, you will come out of this a better driver.

I'm looking forward to doing the Two Day M School now, but many have commented on previous reports on how tiring the day is. It is a long day and everyone was tired at the end. The next day, I felt it in my shoulders and lower back. I chose the one day because my wife was coming and what other's reported. She is up for the two day, but admits it will take some effort on her part to motivate herself for the second day. I wish I had booked the two day this time now, but for many, one day will be enough and a second day would be too much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
atxsk8r1568.50
calbears4199.00
QM287.00
rich8566608.50
akkando5860.00
PGHM228.50
D CHOI580.00
      07-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Nice write up! I did the 2 Day School starting July 8. Rob only had a slight break from the end of your school to dinner for us at 7PM at the Cliff House in La Quinta. We were all put up at the Miramonte Resort which is under renovation and kind of so-so

We do the same events as you did for the 1st day, except a slightly different rotation in cars. My memory is fuzzy on the order of what we did the first day...We had 12 in our class and split into groups of 6.

I did the skid pad first with the F80. Then I think it was the cornering exercise in the orange area (maybe it was the F82 or the F87). Then the autocross area with lapping in the F87. After that I think lunch. Followed by the rat race in the F80. Then I think it was the timed autocross in the F87. Then we did the green course in the F82, which was timed. You got 2 laps to throw in your best time--with no practice runs.

After the last event of Day 1, we had appetizers and dinner at the performance center. I can assure you that this was an exhausting day and I was in bed and asleep by about 930PM.

The second day is spent on the Thermal tracks--specifically the South Palms circuit (your track circuit may vary). We did two exercises on the South Palms circuit in the morning. One with the F80 with a big straight and a tight left hander, setting up for a right and left turn and a straight.

Then we switched to the F82 and did a different straight and double apex turn with a chicane after.

Then it was back to the skidpad to do a timed cloverleaf exercise with the F87 with everything off. This was a lot of fun, the skid pad was not wet but still very slippy.

Lunch then followed and they allowed us to do a couple of laps of a small section in either the i8 or the M760.

Then it was back to the track for long laps of the South Palms circuit in the F80 and F82 in a lead-follow exercise. 1 instructor for 3 students following. We reached speeds of about 130+ on the straights. The M3 I drove overheated once and lost power steering on my last lap or so.

Then we switched to the F82 and had to go get some gas before getting on the track. I think we did 15 minute stints with a break (30 minutes total in each car). The M4 overheated on me and we burned 1/2 a tank of gas.

After this, we went back to the BMW course and did another timed autocross event in the M2. However, the course was in reverse (red section). We had 2 practice runs and 6 timed runs. I lost power steering just before my 4th timed run and switched cars to a performance edition M2.

Then it was back to the big track for the instructor hot laps.

We got the same goodies as you did, but also got a jacket (exclusive to the 2 Day School) and a polo shirt.

The second day is much less tiring than the first day because you aren't working the wheel, throttle, and brakes as much. I was tired at the end of the 2nd day, but much less so than the 1st day.

Also of note, if you attend an M Track Day event, you'll get a 20% off coupon for any M School, including advanced.

F82 time 2lap run

And a link to a few pictures
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)

Last edited by calbears; 07-12-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
MN2///M519.50
      07-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Can't really tell...if you do the 1-day M school, you don't get to go out on the actual North or South Palm Circuits?

Nice write-ups
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Can't really tell...if you do the 1-day M school, you don't get to go out on the actual North or South Palm Circuits?

Nice write-ups
1 day M School stays on the BMW side of Thermal. 2 Day M School, the second day will be spent on one of the circuits. Advanced M School is spent on the circuits (I think they'll link them up) for both days.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

That's total horseshit...

I'm assuming M Driver's Package = 1 Day M Driver's School

I didn't spend $2500 to do a fucking auto-x
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Nice writeup. How does the 1 day at Thermal compare to SC? Same thing basically?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
So took advantage of a BMW offer for the One Day Driver's School and upgraded to the One Day M School. I chose Thermal because I have been to Spartanburg twice and wanted to see how the car handled the heat.
Great detailed summary of this event! I did the 2 day non M school about 10 years ago. Very similar event at the Spartanburg facility. Main diff was utilization of nearly the entire BMW lineup but only one M car. Great stuff and lots of fun and lots to learn, plus you use their cars, tires, brakes and fuel. Shortly after that event I started to take advantage of BMW CCA track events. These are much more cost effective and you get so much more track time, plus you really learn to drive your own car. Thanks again for the write up!
Attached Images

07-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
That's total horseshit...

I'm assuming M Driver's Package = 1 Day M Driver's School

I didn't spend $2500 to do a fucking auto-x
I think they are slightly different packages, but call to make sure
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Nice writeup. How does the 1 day at Thermal compare to SC? Same thing basically?
The layout of the courses are totally different. The skidpad at Thermal is much more slippy than the one in SC. I think at about 20MPH at Thermal, the rear pops out. SC requires 25MPH+

Handling course in SC is different (slalom & elevation change) and there is a hilly section in SC that provides another handling course. Thermal is essentially flat
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      07-13-2017, 02:23 AM   #10
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I did the 2 day in October, perfect weather. The main difference between 1 day and 2 is the 2nd day is spent on the south Palm course and you lap at high speed with speed getting up to 120 or so on the straight so very exciting and a real opportunity to drive the car at your limits for lap after lap doing a lead follow. The instructors do a great job of coaching you while doing lead follow and push you to increase your speed (within reason) and brake later than you would probably do on your own. For those considering the 1 or 2 day I would suggest going all in for the 2 day and really getting a full experience if you have the time and money. M school isn't cheap but when you look at the amount of track time you get combined with using their cars, hotel and food included plus some swag I think it is actually a solid value. I plan on doing the Advanced M School at some point in the next 12 months. Have to decide where to do it.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M519.50
      07-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I plan on doing the Advanced M School at some point in the next 12 months. Have to decide where to do it.
One of the instructors said that they're considering doing the advanced schools only at Thermal in the future since they don't have to rent a track, so if you're set on going to something like VIR or Road Atlanta, better go soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #12
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I did the 2 day in October, perfect weather. The main difference between 1 day and 2 is the 2nd day is spent on the south Palm course and you lap at high speed with speed getting up to 120 or so on the straight so very exciting and a real opportunity to drive the car at your limits for lap after lap doing a lead follow. The instructors do a great job of coaching you while doing lead follow and push you to increase your speed (within reason) and brake later than you would probably do on your own. For those considering the 1 or 2 day I would suggest going all in for the 2 day and really getting a full experience if you have the time and money. M school isn't cheap but when you look at the amount of track time you get combined with using their cars, hotel and food included plus some swag I think it is actually a solid value. I plan on doing the Advanced M School at some point in the next 12 months. Have to decide where to do it.
The two day school does not include a helmet anymore? I think I read a review that was written in awhile back where the received the following:

-2 nights of lodging at the Marriot Hotel
-Transportation to and from the center and airport
-All Meals
-2 Days of M School with professional instructors with full use of their -Facilities and designated M cars
-BMW Custom Painted Helmet (Snell rated)
-BMW Goodies (Shirt, pens, hat, fleece)
-Thumb drive with Race Keeper Instant Video Software to plug into car computer to capture video and track data

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654085

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtong View Post
The two day school does not include a helmet anymore? I think I read a review that was written in awhile back where the received the following:

-2 nights of lodging at the Marriot Hotel
-Transportation to and from the center and airport
-All Meals
-2 Days of M School with professional instructors with full use of their -Facilities and designated M cars
-BMW Custom Painted Helmet (Snell rated)
-BMW Goodies (Shirt, pens, hat, fleece)
-Thumb drive with Race Keeper Instant Video Software to plug into car computer to capture video and track data

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654085
They removed the helmet a while ago. Here's what I got this weekend:

-2 nights at the Miramonte Resort (hotels vary)
-Transportation to and from the performance center
-Dinner the night before (this varies--you may get a coupon for dinner at the hotel/resort the first night), breakfast both days (may also be at the hotel), lunch both days, dinner at the performance center after the 1st day
-Exclusive BMW M School jacket
-Performance school polo
-The usual goodies (hat, t-shirt, pen, notebook, water bottle)

As for track data and video, they recommend a few different track data apps or the M Laptimer (iPhone only) that works with the iDrive. Video is bring your own GoPro.

I'm fairly certain they record video for you in the advanced school, but I don't know what goodies you get
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I can't comment on the One Day M School at Spartanburg. We did two Performance Center Deliveries there, so just wanted to go somewhere else this time. The PCD experience was great, but not even close to the One Day M School.

Based on the PCD experience, I would think the One Day M School experience would be very similar at either location, but the Two Day M School I think would definitely be better at Thermal given their use of the larger tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

I just received a one day BMW Performance Driving school offer and I'm considering either upgrading to the one day M school or doing an M car control clinic through the ultimate driving experience tour that will be in my city in a few months. Cost-wise, the one day M school is more expensive due to travel, but if it is more effective than the M car control clinic then I'd go for that. Any suggestions as to which event to go with? I'm a track novice (2 track events, one through BMWCCA in my M2).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
I just received a one day BMW Performance Driving school offer and I'm considering either upgrading to the one day M school or doing an M car control clinic through the ultimate driving experience tour that will be in my city in a few months. Cost-wise, the one day M school is more expensive due to travel, but if it is more effective than the M car control clinic then I'd go for that. Any suggestions as to which event to go with? I'm a track novice (2 track events, one through BMWCCA in my M2).
If you can swing it, I'd go for the one day M school. Don't think any of the UDEs will be at a track. I'm also not sure what the car control clinic will cover and you may split time with another driver--if that's the case, the 1 day M school gets you more seat time. Give them a call and see what the M car control clinic does and compare with OP's write up
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      07-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #17
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM
The One Day M School is the way to go. You will learn so much more.
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      07-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #18
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I also just got the free one day driving school offer in the mail. I don't know much about it, like where it is and what all is entailed. I actually came to the forums to find out more about it so this post is very timely. The fine print in the offer says I have to book the course within one year from the date I took delivery of the M2. I got the car last October. I wonder why they waited so long to send me the offer.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #19
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
I also just got the free one day driving school offer in the mail. I don't know much about it, like where it is and what all is entailed. I actually came to the forums to find out more about it so this post is very timely. The fine print in the offer says I have to book the course within one year from the date I took delivery of the M2. I got the car last October. I wonder why they waited so long to send me the offer.
You can redeem it for a course in South Carolina or in California. You can take the course you were offered or use it as a credit to a 1-day or 2-day M School as well. Your choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

So I registered for the one day M school in Spartanburg on a Saturday in September. Called back to ask how many people are in the class and was told there are now 16 students, which is full capacity. This sounds quite a bit more crowded than the 7 students OP had in his class. Any advice from those who've taken the one day school as to whether it's worth rescheduling for a weekday later in the year to hopefully get a less crowded class?

Seems to me with 16 students the time allowed for each exercise will be cut in half.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #21
leonardsa
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 (6 spd)

Quote:
So I registered for the one day M school in Spartanburg on a Saturday in September. Called back to ask how many people are in the class and was told there are now 16 students, which is full capacity. This sounds quite a bit more crowded than the 7 students OP had in his class. Any advice from those who've taken the one day school as to whether it's worth rescheduling for a weekday later in the year to hopefully get a less crowded class?

Seems to me with 16 students the time allowed for each exercise will be cut in half.
I did the 1 day regular Performance Day Class at Spartanburg back in June. There were 16 students in the class. They used 8 cars, 4 were M240s and 4 were M340s. Two students per car. They had 4 cars do one event and 4 cars do a different event at the same time. When done, we would swap cars. So there wasn't a lot a waiting around. I got the fastest time of the day on the handling course, 20.008 seconds!! I came in 2nd on the rat race.
Leonard
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      07-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #22
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If it were me, I'd reschedule to a less busy place and/or time. I'm certain that in a smaller class, you'll get "more". What "more" ends up being is only speculation on my part, but this is part of the reason my wife and I chose Thermal in July. The M School is different than the Driver's course, so I can't state whether they double up in the M School when the class is full, but with only 7 of us, we each had a car of our own which means on events where you are doing lap after lap, you are missing out on seat time if you are doubled up. In addition, even if they don't double up folks in the M School, that means more cars on the track at once. There were several times I caught slower drivers, even with only 4 in our group. When this happens, they pit someone to space cars back out and this translates to time lost on the track, not much, but more likely to be a pain if there are 8 cars on the course versus 4.

Either way, I'd at least ask the question about if they double up in the M School. If so, I'd reschedule if at all possible to a class that's not as full. At Spartanburg, I think nearly every class fills up though; not so much at Thermal as I understand it.

If you can't reschedule, I wouldn't fret about it. Focus on what you are getting and make the most of it. It's a blast and looking forward to the next event I get to do.
Appreciate 1
QM287.00