M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > MY2017 TPMS at the track

06-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #23
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I remember. I think my cheap DIY brake ducts may be making a big difference in keeping them cooler....check out my post. Also, i seem to prefer starting at low pressures, like 24, so I don't get slippery when they heat up....again that's why I won't deal with TPMS.
Great input. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #24
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My car definitely has sport throttle response in DSC off mode. MDM is comfort. The difference is quite obvious. Not a fan of the sport plus throttle mapping. Much too sensitive.

I wonder what the chances are that the minimum pressure could be set with a simple re-code via Bimmercode. Wish everything wasn't in German!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #25
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
My car definitely has sport throttle response in DSC off mode. MDM is comfort. The difference is quite obvious. Not a fan of the sport plus throttle mapping. Much too sensitive.

I wonder what the chances are that the minimum pressure could be set with a simple re-code via Bimmercode. Wish everything wasn't in German!
Hey Wangspeed. My car acts the same as yours, but I have TPMS sensors on all my wheels.

Does your car feel the same in MDM and DSC off with or without the sensors?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #26
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:

Hey Wangspeed. My car acts the same as yours, but I have TPMS sensors on all my wheels.

Does your car feel the same in MDM and DSC off with or without the sensors?

Thanks.
With sensors. I opted in on my track wheels. I had them on my previous car too. It's handy when it works. Who doesn't want to know their tire pressure with the push of a button?

Probably some lawyer that ruined this feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #27
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

With sensors in, TC fully off appears to set the car to sport. I guess I have to put some damn sensors in my track wheels now, ugh.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 06-02-2017 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
With sensors in, TC fully off appears to set the car to sport. I guess I have to put some damn sensors in my track wheels now, ugh.
Just know that the lowest cold psi you can start at is 26/27, then do a reset on the grid, confirm the reset on your first lap, then you're good.

Start any lower and you will have to pit to reset after the first lap bc the tires won't bring the pressures up to 27 (TPMS alert threshold) quickly enough.

So, you may end up pushing 37-38psi hot by the end of your session when using sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #29
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I have not been able to compare lap times between DSC off with/without sensors...too much work. I would suspect that it is more a case of "feel" versus effect. So I just drive whatever the lawyers let me drive and still enjoy the hell out of the car...TPMS is satan on track days👺
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #30
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Just know that the lowest cold psi you can start at is 26/27, then do a reset on the grid, confirm the reset on your first lap, then you're good.

Start any lower and you will have to pit to reset after the first lap bc the tires won't bring the pressures up to 27 (TPMS alert threshold) quickly enough.

So, you may end up pushing 37-38psi hot by the end of your session when using sensors.
Don't need to start lower than 27, what tires are you running?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #31
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Quote:

So you are saying 26/27 psi is a built in default minimum, even with an initial TPMS reset upon mounting the track tires with sensors?

I literally have never had a problem with TPMS on the track. However, my process might go a little different then others:

1. I mount the track tires (with sensors) at home and set to 29 psi.
2. I then do a reset of the TPMS (drive around the neighborhood a bit).
3. Then drive to the track and enjoy the day.

End of sessions can sometimes push up near 37-40 psi, so I bleed a little air out at times. I prefer 35-37 psi hot with the Re71r's.

My impression was that the initial reset of the TPMS before I go to the track was locking in a lower minimum psi for the the computer to work with, hence, no problems?? However, I might be a little wonky on my thinking if there is a hard and fast minimum of 26/27psi that overrides any TPMS reset?

I guess the fact that I never drop below those stated minimums of 26/27 psi has made my life easy at the track so far. AZ weather probably plays a role in this consistency too, as we never get too cold here, so psi variance is less on the downside.

And as mentioned, "DSC off" puts the car into "Sport mode" every time, which is perfect for track driving. Weird that others are going into comfort mode with DSC off?? Crazy if the lack of TPMS is the culprit!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #32
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm running RE-71Rs with a target hot pressure of 35.

I'm on a different track today and my pressures aren't rising as high during a session. I'm guessing it's bc this is a tight track, vs an open speed track that has a lot of hard high-speed braking. It seems like hard braking drives up pressures more in this car than cornering.

When on a hard braking track, I can see pressures rise more than 10 psi, and that's with TC off. Today, it's more like 7-8 psi, so TPMS isn't bothering me.

If you start at 27/28 or above and do the reset, you'll be fine. If you drop below 27, you have to do another reset on the grid and you'll have about one lap to get pressures up to 27 or the system will lock you into full nanny comfort mode and you'll have to come into the pits to reset and give yourself another lap to get the pressure to 27, or add air.

Last edited by ZM2; 06-03-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:01 AM   #33
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Hi guys,

Went to track last we and had some issues with the TPM also. Later on the car went to "LIM" mode ("lim" displayed in the dashboard) with reduced power but without specific ??

Some of you refer to a comfort mode throttle reaction but in my case power is really reduced to perhaps 20-30% and rev is limited !!!
Is it the case also with you ?

It was rather cold so I wouldn't be surprised that the pressure dropped below 27 between 2 sessions. What's weird is that I reset before every session. Would there be a warning in case of too high pressure increase ?

Weird and really annoying...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:26 AM   #34
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:

There's a way to do this via esys. With expert mode on bimmercode you can definitely do it. I'll look into this once I get my esys cable back ( I have bimmercode and already coded ASD, and used expert mode to code in mirror auto fold on my F87 that doesn't have comfort access )
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #35
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
There's a way to do this via esys. With expert mode on bimmercode you can definitely do it. I'll look into this once I get my esys cable back ( I have bimmercode and already coded ASD, and used expert mode to code in mirror auto fold on my F87 that doesn't have comfort access )
If we can drop it to 24/25psi min, that would be perfect. We could all run sensors (which are great to keep an eye on pressures and temps while on track), there wouldn't be any Comfort throttle response issues without sensors, and it leaves a safety element in place for any arrive & drive tires, like RE-71Rs.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #36
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Stupid question, but what does resetting the TPMS actually do?

I'm always getting a readout of pressures on iDrive and always have an option listed to reset it. I have not observed any changes to the pressure reading or otherwise before/after resetting the system.

If I'm understanding the comments correctly, I should just start with 27 pressure minimum to not trigger any faults and adjust throughout the day, as needed to get to a hot sweet spot. What benefit does resetting give me?

Sorry, new car and first with iDrive. Didn't have issues with my 135i but would like to know how to manage the M2 TPMS for WGI this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #37
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Stupid question, but what does resetting the TPMS actually do?

I'm always getting a readout of pressures on iDrive and always have an option listed to reset it. I have not observed any changes to the pressure reading or otherwise before/after resetting the system.

If I'm understanding the comments correctly, I should just start with 27 pressure minimum to not trigger any faults and adjust throughout the day, as needed to get to a hot sweet spot. What benefit does resetting give me?

Sorry, new car and first with iDrive. Didn't have issues with my 135i but would like to know how to manage the M2 TPMS for WGI this weekend.
Yup, 27psi min. My iDrive reads 1psi lower than two of my gauges, so 27psi on my gauge is 26 in iDrive. The means setting at 27 on my gauge still gives me 1 lap or so to get the tire warm and up to 27 in iDrive.

I don't rightly know what the reset does other than the car wants to verify that it's readings are correct making a human add air, measure with a gauge, and reset.
Appreciate 1
dvas515.00
      06-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #38
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
Yup, 27psi min. My iDrive reads 1psi lower than two of my gauges, so 27psi on my gauge is 26 in iDrive. The means setting at 27 on my gauge still gives me 1 lap or so to get the tire warm and up to 27 in iDrive.

I don't rightly know what the reset does other than the car wants to verify that it's readings are correct making a human add air, measure with a gauge, and reset.
I think resetting the TPMS basically just does a routine check on it to make sure the valves aren't stuck or sensors aren't giving a false reading.

That said mine reads about 2psi lower... I do recall an area on esys to calibrate the TPMS or adjust offsets...

I'll update you guys once I get my coding setup back online.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 03:54 AM   #39
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLO-M2 View Post
Hi guys,

Went to track last we and had some issues with the TPM also. Later on the car went to "LIM" mode ("lim" displayed in the dashboard) with reduced power but without specific ??

Some of you refer to a comfort mode throttle reaction but in my case power is really reduced to perhaps 20-30% and rev is limited !!!

It was rather cold so I wouldn't be surprised that the pressure dropped below 27 between 2 sessions. What's weird is that I reset before every session. Would there be a warning in case of too high pressure increase ?

Up
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #40
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Up
Limp mode would not be due to low tire pressure. Low pressures will force the car into comfort mode, but it still gives full power.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #41
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Up
Limp mode would not be due to low tire pressure. Low pressures will force the car into comfort mode, but it still gives full power.
Any other idea or suggestion then ?
Was really annoying !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #42
Lucho13
Private
Peru
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87)

Quote:
Hi guys,

If "LIM" was displayed in the dashboard then I think that by accident you activated the speed limit function (LIM button on the left side of your steering wheel).

Just tap the RES button to cancel the function.
Appreciate 1
OLO-M237.50
      06-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #43
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucho13 View Post
If "LIM" was displayed in the dashboard then I think that by accident you activated the speed limit function (LIM button on the left side of your steering wheel).

Just tap the RES button to cancel the function.
Ahh see, I was trying to figure out what you were taking about. We don't have the LIM function on US cars. Altho, I'm guessing it is disabled when going into Sport Plus, MDM, or DSC off modes.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #44
f87chas
Private First Class
Rep

How about putting the TPMS sensors in a piece of PVC pipe with the ends caped, putting a valve in the pipe and putting air in the pipe so TPMS sensors read a constant reading to keep car happy and set your tires where you want. Corvette guys do this all the time.
Appreciate 0