shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Wheel Recenter Issue

I was informed by my shop that "after putting the wheels on and getting alignment at slower speeds it feels a little funky in the steering. Nothing crazy but just as a precaution I reset all the steering angles and everything. It should get better once you put some miles on it, just lmk what you think when you get back in the car".

I been away at college, but my dad picked up the car this morning and he stated that when driving, the steering wheel took longer to recenter and needed to be manually turned back to straight now. I am running stickier tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) but dropped down to 245/265 (oem spec). The wheels are also, M2 specs: Vorsteiner V-FF 108 carbon graphite 19" (front) 19x9.5, 22 offset, (rear) 19x10.5, 34 offset. As well, I just had a alignment done after the wheels were put on. I'm not sure why this is happening but if anyone knows why this is please let me know so I can have the shop fix the issue !

Thanks, Shane
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Have had this happen on the stock Competition setup. Occasionally, returning to center is met with slight resistance and requires some "manual" input rather than just returning to center on its own. I'm at about 5k miles now and haven't experienced this much, if at all. It has, more or less, smoothed itself out over time but I'll still occasionally experience it but to much lesser of a degree (*almost* unnoticeable).

I chalked it up to newer tires needing to be worn in a little and I expect the same thing to happen once I put on some new rubber. Can't confirm until it actually happens though.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1189.50
      10-20-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Have had this happen on the stock Competition setup. Occasionally, returning to center is met with slight resistance and requires some "manual" input rather than just returning to center on its own. I'm at about 5k miles now and haven't experienced this much, if at all. It has, more or less, smoothed itself out over time but I'll still occasionally experience it but to much lesser of a degree (*almost* unnoticeable).

I chalked it up to newer tires needing to be worn in a little and I expect the same thing to happen once I put on some new rubber. Can't confirm until it actually happens though.
yea not sure why this is happening they said to wait it out and see if anything changes but if not they said they'd try to fix it. I am running a new type of tire but the tires are roughly 80% life in the front and 60% life in the rear so maybe the car needs to drive more with the new setup
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #4
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
update : steering is still stiff and I'm starting to think it's a spring issue. my shop thinks a spring binding is it coming from the left or right. not sure if this sounds right
Appreciate 0