DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
BMWCCA track inspections

I was surprised that my local chapter changed the time frame on the track inspection forms. Last year they were good for one year. This year it must be done no sooner than 30 days before the event. The forms will be collected at the event and not given back. The website says the BMWCCA changed the inspection requirement.

Anyone else seen this change?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I was surprised that my local chapter changed the time frame on the track inspection forms. Last year they were good for one year. This year it must be done no sooner than 30 days before the event. The forms will be collected at the event and not given back. The website says the BMWCCA changed the inspection requirement.

Ours have been within 30 days for the last couple years.
Appreciate 1
DanG10447.00
      02-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post

They also removed the requirement that only an ASE certified Master Tech can sign off. So if you’re comfortable doing the inspection yourself, you now have the option.

1x/year never made any sense to be for consumables like tires and brake pads with someone that is hands off when it comes to car maintenance. A lot can happen in just a day or two on track.

The PNW Audi and Porsche clubs have used a similar tech sheet requirement for at least the last few years. I’ve made it a practice to have a local shop do the first inspection of the year and I take it from there. Always good to get an extra set of eyes on your car even if you are technically competent enough to complete all the checklist items. I once had a shop catch a cracked wheel that I totally missed.
Appreciate 2
DanG10447.00
      03-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Tarheel and Sandlapper have been 30 days for some time. I was able to do a twofer last fall with 2 events within the 30 days.

And a track inspection did catch a tear on an inner sidewall, that I wouldn't have seen without a lift. Fortunately I was able to get it replaced (and the other side) before the track day.
Appreciate 1
DanG10447.00
      03-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think GVC has been w/i 30 days since I started with them in '18 (and just requires a mechanic familiar with tracking, not any specific certification) - they run a free inspection clinic that I usually go thru. I don't think a yearly is adequate, unless you only run one event a year and do it right beforehand.
Appreciate 1
DanG10447.00
      03-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

My local club has always been within 30 days, separate inspection per event and by a provincially licensed mechanic since I've been tracking (either 2015 or 2016). Things didn't change between when the Trillium Chapter was a BMW Car Clubs Canada chapter vs BMWCCA chapter. There are also several shops run by club members that do free inspections.

Another group I've run with at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (aka Mosport) had basically the same tech inspection, while another group running on the smaller track there do a onsite inspection which is pretty informal.
Appreciate 1
DanG10447.00
      03-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
They also removed the requirement that only an ASE certified Master Tech can sign off. So if you’re comfortable doing the inspection yourself, you now have the option.

1x/year never made any sense to be for consumables like tires and brake pads with someone that is hands off when it comes to car maintenance. A lot can happen in just a day or two on track.

The PNW Audi and Porsche clubs have used a similar tech sheet requirement for at least the last few years. I’ve made it a practice to have a local shop do the first inspection of the year and I take it from there. Always good to get an extra set of eyes on your car even if you are technically competent enough to complete all the checklist items. I once had a shop catch a cracked wheel that I totally missed.
What shop do you go to for your annual inspection? I need to do that on my M2C and STI if I want to attend BMW and Porsche club events this year.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      03-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinewhiteM2C View Post
What shop do you go to for your annual inspection? I need to do that on my M2C and STI if I want to attend BMW and Porsche club events this year.
Lately, I’ve been going to Cantrell. But I’ve also used Westwerks and Prova Motorsport in the past. Any shop you have a relationship should be up for the job. Cantrell has done a lot of work on my wife’s Cayman, so it’s easy to just get it done there for me.

I tend to DIY most maintenance for my own car, so haven’t really settled on a BMW specific shop yet for the things I’m not able to handle. Need to figure that out. Cantrell can probably do it, but they’re mostly a Porsche shop.
Appreciate 1