BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > RT660 Heat Cycles?

06-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

RT660 Heat Cycles?

Anyone had the RT660 long enough to heat cycle them out?

RE71R used to cycle out and become noticeably slower/unpredictable after about 110 Autox runs. But this is my first set of 660 and this car is new to me.

Since Feb I have about 50 Autox/trackcross runs on the RT660 and 8 sessions of time trials (about 60 laps).

Im trying to avoid ending up at the Seneca Champ Tour with tires that have cycled out. But I also don't want to toss a perfectly fine set of tires if they are known to have more heat cycle tolerance than an RE71R. They certainly don't seem as happy during 10/10th track sessions as the RE71R did. But that may have no bearing.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
Anyone had the RT660 long enough to heat cycle them out?

RE71R used to cycle out and become noticeably slower/unpredictable after about 110 Autox runs. But this is my first set of 660 and this car is new to me.

Since Feb I have about 50 Autox/trackcross runs on the RT660 and 8 sessions of time trials (about 60 laps).

Im trying to avoid ending up at the Seneca Champ Tour with tires that have cycled out. But I also don't want to toss a perfectly fine set of tires if they are known to have more heat cycle tolerance than an RE71R. They certainly don't seem as happy during 10/10th track sessions as the RE71R did. But that may have no bearing.
Can’t speak to autocross heat cycles, but my last track session on them was my fastest. That was after two very wet 5x20 days, and three open lapping days. There might’ve been a 5x20 dry day in there as well. Heat tolerance seemed to get progressively better for me but fastest lap was consistently the first or second lap after a warm up lap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #3
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep

Interesting, think you were driving better at the end or was it down to the tires? I found the RT660 to be greasy and 1+ sec off the pace after 5-6 laps to the point I just would end my session (time trial so no point in just burning through tire while going slower). Then again my class doesn't permit camber plates.

For track work I find I usually burn through tread before tires heat cycle out. For autocross I find the opposite happens since they see a lot more heat cycles but overall less use hours so the tread remains but the tire is dead. Makes it tough to know when to call it quits on a set until you're off the pace enough that you know it's not driver error. Which is the scenario I want to prevent being in when I drive 6+ hours for a 2 day national event.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
Interesting, think you were driving better at the end or was it down to the tires? I found the RT660 to be greasy and 1+ sec off the pace after 5-6 laps to the point I just would end my session (time trial so no point in just burning through tire while going slower). Then again my class doesn't permit camber plates.

For track work I find I usually burn through tread before tires heat cycle out. For autocross I find the opposite happens since they see a lot more heat cycles but overall less use hours so the tread remains but the tire is dead. Makes it tough to know when to call it quits on a set until you're off the pace enough that you know it's not driver error. Which is the scenario I want to prevent being in when I drive 6+ hours for a 2 day national event.
Could be a bit of both. I agree on their heat tolerance within a session. On my local 2 minute track, I know it well and can drive consistent laps back to back within a few 10ths when I don’t encounter traffic on something like an RS4 that would take most of the session to overheat. With the 660, I’d consistently see a pattern of warm up, two fast laps, then three progressively slower laps, then times would stabilize several seconds off the pace of the first couple of laps. I say both because I’m usually fastest in the hour or two after lunch, and that’s when I finished off the tires during one of the dry open lapping days.

The A052 followed a similar pattern for me but the lap time difference was smaller from start to end of the session, they seemed to last a bit longer, and were a bit faster overall. I also liked them better in the wet.

I’m running 3.2f/2.4r camber with 0 toe front/ minimal toe at the rear.

Hopefully some active autocrossers chime in with some stronger advice, but if you’re competitive and chasing points for a series, I’d be inclined to throw a new set of tires on for the event and save the 660’s for a non-timed practice day. I typically regret when I try to take the cheaper option on things like this. 😁
Appreciate 1