BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 Best Upgraded Turbo/Intercooler Option?

11-27-2023, 12:28 PM   #23
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
Does anyone have any information on the Mosselman turbo?

Any specs on the turbo itself or if you’re able to buy one without sending in your core?
I have a MSL48-60 still in the box not used, and I don’t need your core
Speedtech top mount G35|Motive| Reflex plus | Wagner EVO 3 | BMP manifold | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | PI | Precision Racework stage 4V2 LPFP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit |turner catch can| HRE 20” \Apex 18” wheels| ECUTEK tuned by bendCalibration|ohlins suspension
IG Modded_M2
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23646.50
      11-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #24
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have any information on the Mosselman turbo?

Any specs on the turbo itself or if you’re able to buy one without sending in your core?
What specs are you looking for?
I don’t have the tools to be exact but if you want I can do it without the proper tools

Just by looking at it, it looks like 62ish+- and 61ish+-

I believe the compressor is a little smaller then ps2 ( which is used for the turbo inlet anyways, so not really sure that will make a difference). put turbine looks little bigger on the msl 48-60
Speedtech top mount G35|Motive| Reflex plus | Wagner EVO 3 | BMP manifold | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | PI | Precision Racework stage 4V2 LPFP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit |turner catch can| HRE 20” \Apex 18” wheels| ECUTEK tuned by bendCalibration|ohlins suspension
IG Modded_M2

Last edited by Mr_M//; 11-27-2023 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23646.50
      11-27-2023, 03:27 PM   #25
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M// View Post
What specs are you looking for?
The compressor and the turbine size? I don’t have the tools to be exact but if you want I can do it without the proper tools

Just by looking at it, it looks like 62ish+- and 61ish+-
More or less the basic information most websites would provide. Like is it still a thrust bearing design or ball bearing? Are there any advantages or disadvantages compared to the Pure 750?

The Pure 750 has a lot of information about it but I can’t seem to find any on the Mosselman turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:49 AM   #26
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
More or less the basic information most websites would provide. Like is it still a thrust bearing design or ball bearing? Are there any advantages or disadvantages compared to the Pure 750?

The Pure 750 has a lot of information about it but I can’t seem to find any on the Mosselman turbo.
It’s Thrust bearing design not ball bearing yes information is limited , they have more information on the s55 turbos with good results, they made more power then they were rated for on s55
IG Modded_M2

Last edited by Mr_M//; 11-29-2023 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23646.50
      12-11-2023, 08:06 PM   #27
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

What did you decide OP? My vote for an intercooler is always going to be a race core - VRSF/BMS/MAD or bust.

Turbo, I'm partial to the Pure Stage 2 - it's proven and a custom tune can help it's slower spool, but if you don't mind spending more, I know there are options like the Mosselman and TTE
      12-11-2023, 08:39 PM   #28
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
AmuroRay I haven’t made any purchases just yet. I had been away from my car for a few months at the time I made this post. From my memory I really wanted more power to keep it fun.

Lately I’ve been driving on full E85 and it’s been a blast. It is noticeably faster than my half tank mix. I need to spend a little more time with it before I drop the big bucks on the whole set up (Race intercooler/LPFP/turbo).

I would go with the MAD race because I like the black finish. I’m not sure which LPFP would be needed.

Are the other turbos worth it over the Pure 750? If cost is not a factor. Also seeing how they’re all essentially the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 09:05 PM   #29
c0riolis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

6speed_M2 Just putting this out there in case you decide to move forward with your upgrades, I am selling a BNIB ER FMIC if you are interested [1].

[1]: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2060317
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23646.50
      12-12-2023, 07:45 PM   #30
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Get the MAD race intercooler + the MAD charge pipe. One of the best on the market.

its already very reasonably priced and its even better this weekend with the black Friday sale.

As for the turbos, it highly depends on your power goals, i like Pure Turbo the most as i find them the most reliable with the best customer support
Does the MAD race require a m235 x brace or does it fit the f87 without mods?
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23646.50
      12-12-2023, 08:01 PM   #31
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
AmuroRay I haven’t made any purchases just yet. I had been away from my car for a few months at the time I made this post. From my memory I really wanted more power to keep it fun.

Lately I’ve been driving on full E85 and it’s been a blast. It is noticeably faster than my half tank mix. I need to spend a little more time with it before I drop the big bucks on the whole set up (Race intercooler/LPFP/turbo).

I would go with the MAD race because I like the black finish. I’m not sure which LPFP would be needed.

Are the other turbos worth it over the Pure 750? If cost is not a factor. Also seeing how they’re all essentially the same.
I currently own a pure750 and it is doing great. If cost is no concern, I would recommend using a full frame turbo. Bigboost, Speedtech, etc. There will be more cost, but its not a whole lot % wise....The full frame gets external WG and will spool faster and have less back pressure....I like the pure750 a lot. But IF I were to do it over. I would have gotten the one of the smaller turbo speedtech kits. Since you're goal is 500 (for now), you can swap turbo's later if your goals change.

Consider how much you'll spend on fueling too...that part can cost as much as the turbo depending on which route you go and goals..
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23646.50
      12-12-2023, 08:16 PM   #32
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
VGSON Thanks for the input.

I’d be using ethanol mostly but my major concern is being able to keep my high flow cat. I was catless for a number of years and those days are behind me. I can’t stand the smell anymore.

I would also like to go with a ball bearing turbo if possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:46 PM   #33
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
VGSON Thanks for the input.

I’d be using ethanol mostly but my major concern is being able to keep my high flow cat. I was catless for a number of years and those days are behind me. I can’t stand the smell anymore.

I would also like to go with a ball bearing turbo if possible.
If you dont go pure750 or similar the new kit will come with a catless dp. Not sure which if any offer a catted dp..BUT you can have a shop add a hiflow cat on the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 10:21 PM   #34
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
Every race intercooler will require the m235i front V brace. you'll probably also have to trim the shrouds on the m2 as well.
      12-13-2023, 10:39 AM   #35
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Every race intercooler will require the m235i front V brace. you'll probably also have to trim the shrouds on the m2 as well.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 07:56 PM   #36
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
+1
Might want to add that note on your site regarding modifying the brace or ordering a m235 one.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 10:19 AM   #37
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Some good discussion on turbo options here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2061791
It's still ongoing.
      04-05-2024, 03:59 PM   #38
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Ok so after careful consideration on what I want to use my m2 for, and tracking and auto x'ing a few friend's m2. I've decided I honestly prefer to auto x rather than track my m2, And this is purely down to cost (a tracked day is upwards for $1000 CAD for my m2, and this comes down to track fees since I don't have a membership anymore, fuel, tires, maintenance, and the insanely expensive track day insurance), so honestly at this point in my life I don't really feel the allure of tracking as much as I used to and can't really stomach that cost anymore. I'll probably still track but it'll be alot less frequent than auto x'ing.

So based on that judgement I decided to upgrade my intercooler as auto x conditions strain iats more than they do coolant or oil (simply because air flow is very low during auto cross and oil/water cooling systems have a high specific heat capacity and can hold more energy before changing temps). So I decided to get a BMS race core intercooler (thanks Terry and Payam @ BMS for helping me out)

I'll be making a full review on this and how to modify the m2 front brace to get this to fit. I think I can cut it and still leave enough of it behind to not drastically reduce structural rigidity, but it's definitely going to come at a sacrifice. It'll still likely be more rigid than the m235i brace though (atleast I hope).

Shipping was very expensive to get this across the border, and I'm pretty sure I'll get slapped with some import and brokerage fees very soon, so for any Canadians who want this intercooler I recommend buying it from BMS's Canadian reseller Park auto motorsport. It should be a lot cheaper to ship from inside of Canada.
      04-05-2024, 04:02 PM   #39
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This was on the catless downpipe. I’ve switched to a high flow cat and very slightly detuned it. It was with E45 but I also do a full tank nowadays instead. I noticed a significant difference.

It’s FBO, Dorch stage 2, HJS 300 DP, Wagner Evo Comp II (I’d probably change this with the new turbo).

The last graph was the E45 protune. I did ask for a track friendly set up so I think it isn’t tuned as aggressively as it could be.

ThreeStripes
Do you have a log of your protune vs OTS tune?
      04-05-2024, 04:21 PM   #40
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok so after careful consideration on what I want to use my m2 for, and tracking and auto x'ing a few friend's m2. I've decided I honestly prefer to auto x rather than track my m2, And this is purely down to cost (a tracked day is upwards for $1000 CAD for my m2, and this comes down to track fees since I don't have a membership anymore, fuel, tires, maintenance, and the insanely expensive track day insurance), so honestly at this point in my life I don't really feel the allure of tracking as much as I used to and can't really stomach that cost anymore. I'll probably still track but it'll be alot less frequent than auto x'ing.

So based on that judgement I decided to upgrade my intercooler as auto x conditions strain iats more than they do coolant or oil (simply because air flow is very low during auto cross and oil/water cooling systems have a high specific heat capacity and can hold more energy before changing temps). So I decided to get a BMS race core intercooler (thanks Terry and Payam @ BMS for helping me out)

I'll be making a full review on this and how to modify the m2 front brace to get this to fit. I think I can cut it and still leave enough of it behind to not drastically reduce structural rigidity, but it's definitely going to come at a sacrifice. It'll still likely be more rigid than the m235i brace though (atleast I hope).

Shipping was very expensive to get this across the border, and I'm pretty sure I'll get slapped with some import and brokerage fees very soon, so for any Canadians who want this intercooler I recommend buying it from BMS's Canadian reseller Park auto motorsport. It should be a lot cheaper to ship from inside of Canada.
Doesn't BMS have that diverter welded in the hotside? I'll be looking for your review to compare vs my VRSF race.

I don't think you can make the brace "better" than the M235i brace unless you can keep the horizontal bar that triangulates the brace.
      04-05-2024, 05:42 PM   #41
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Doesn't BMS have that diverter welded in the hotside? I'll be looking for your review to compare vs my VRSF race.

I don't think you can make the brace "better" than the M235i brace unless you can keep the horizontal bar that triangulates the brace.
No, it looks just like a normal race core intercooler no diverter valves welded to the end tanks or anything like that.

Yes that is the goal, I will try to retain the horizontal section, the bottom angled sections will have to go. I think it is possible.
      04-07-2024, 03:33 AM   #42
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

M235 v-brace is not very expensive, $100ish
IG Modded_M2
Appreciate 1
Shaq935.00
      04-07-2024, 03:55 AM   #43
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M// View Post
M235 v-brace is not very expensive, $100ish
That's true. But the m2's factory brace offers significantly more structural rigidity - so if you can cut it in such a way that leaves as much of it behind as possible you will retain those structural benefits. I think I can cut it in such a way that leaves the horizontal brace in place, which will give it far better structural rigidity than an m235i brace. But we will see.
Shaq935.00
      04-07-2024, 08:09 AM   #44
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
That's true. But the m2's factory brace offers significantly more structural rigidity - so if you can cut it in such a way that leaves as much of it behind as possible you will retain those structural benefits. I think I can cut it in such a way that leaves the horizontal brace in place, which will give it far better structural rigidity than an m235i brace. But we will see.
Page 7: https://documents.dinancars.com/d330-0026_r2.pdf
Appreciate 2
F87source7267.50
Shaq935.00