p27rpy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Can you expand on the importance of the dash cam? I've honestly always thought they were sort of gimmicky-- I don't quite get why they're important?

It's something that I've never remotely thought of as important.

TIA--

R.
I’ve caught a number of accidents (luckily not involving me) that were helpful to have. Also, in an accident where it could come to your word vs theirs, video is super valuable. For the small investment I definitely would say it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 07:37 PM   #68
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Right away, ran a combo of radar detector wire and usb (via 5.5v converter) for a dash cam from the fuse box to my my headliner. I cannot think of any two items more important. These are always the first things I do.
Can you expand on the importance of the dash cam? I've honestly always thought they were sort of gimmicky-- I don't quite get why they're important?

It's something that I've never remotely thought of as important.

TIA--

R.
accidents can very much be a finger pointing game. A dash cam means you can just rest easy and give the police the evidence.
      07-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #69
Lokguru
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M50i, M2C MT | '18 M3

Garage List
In my current X5M50i I have a radar detector powered by a tap wire into rear view mirror power port. I had the same for my earlier F80 MT as well.
I am waiting for my M2C MT to arrive and will for sure use tap wire to the mirror power port for radar.

Has anyone have experience with tapping both Radar and dashcam directly to mirror power. I know it doesn't have space for two inserts; maybe there is a two way out tap wire or something..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 12:20 PM   #70
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokguru View Post
In my current X5M50i I have a radar detector powered by a tap wire into rear view mirror power port. I had the same for my earlier F80 MT as well.
I am waiting for my M2C MT to arrive and will for sure use tap wire to the mirror power port for radar.

Has anyone have experience with tapping both Radar and dashcam directly to mirror power. I know it doesn't have space for two inserts; maybe there is a two way out tap wire or something..
I ended up hard wiring my dashcam and mirror taping my radar detector but I was going to mirror tap both, you can get a custom wire. I actually had the wire made and have it but never ended up using it, if anyone has a uniden (or any radar that has R11 power) and has a viofo camera (that uses mini usb), I would gladly sell you this custom cable for a bit less than I paid for, its brand new and should work great.
Appreciate 1
Lokguru321.50
      07-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #71
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

clutch stop
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #72
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I suggest just coding it out with Bimmercode. You'll be out a total of about $60 between the app & the dongle, but that's it - no silly subscription model like Carly or OBDeleven is now going to in the VAG world. I also got rid of the "lawyer screen" at startup, and changed the audio behavior from leaving music playing until the driver's door is locked to shutting off as soon as driver's door is open. That way if you've got some tunes cranking and pull into a parking space, you don't look like some dork (especially at my age lol) when the music comes spilling out along with you. There is a free app with the dongle I chose (one of the recommended ones, available from Amazon) that allowed me to do some basic stuff on my old E86 Z4M (which isn't supported by Bimmercode) and really came in handy when I had a check engine light to diagnose and kill.

As for "must do" mods, that's a totally subjective question. Some might say the car was already hit by the "M stick" at the factory and needs nothing. Others suggest all kinds of crazy stuff that are hardly "musts". I think it's a question everyone needs to answer for themselves as they get to know the car.
Which dongle do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #73
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Which dongle do you recommend?
I’m using OBDLink CX. Works perfectly.

OBDLink CX Bimmercode Bluetooth... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NFLL3NT
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #74
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

I did the following on mine before the odometer reached 200 miles:
- Ceramic coating
- PPF
- Window tint
- Titan7 T-S5 wheels
- Turner Motorsports oil catch can
- Painted front reflectors
- Mesh replacement for rear reflectors
- Carbon fiber steering wheel replacement
- CF steering wheel trim pieces
- Red/Blue M1/M2 buttons on steering wheel
- M Performance CF kidney grilles
- M Performance CF side market set with painted center trim
- M Performance aluminum pedals
- M CF license plate frame
- BMS clutch stop
- Bimmercode

Some more done after 200 miles, but that's what I thought were the beginning essentials.
Appreciate 2