BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Camera Mounting Solutions?

07-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #23
FollowMyLine
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowMyLine View Post
I'm going to give a few options a shot, including the curtain rod. Could someone measure the distance glass to glass for me in the M2? I have another car I use as a daily driver. It's also a 2-door coupe with similar rear window dimensions as the M2.
I would hesitate with that shower curtain bar. One good braking or drifting moment and itll come loose as its only held by friction/tension.

Also may becomes a bit of a javelin in a crash...

Maybe we need to take a step back, what are you trying to achieve video quality wise?

My dashcam does 1080p and 60fps when only using the front cam (or 1080p at 30fps when using both cams).

The video may not show it due to YT compression and the SW I use exporting in 720p (BTW if anyone has a free alternative to Lightworks I would gladly hear it.)

A gopro also does 1080p 60FPS and is much lighter an easier to mount. I have the official mount and it held on fine for all the drifting sessions. (Admitedly I changed the position every 20-30min).

BK makes some good stuff so I am sure the harness bar is more than capable of being a seatbelt mount. Having said that 4+ point harness + fixed back bucket - rollbar is not really recomended.

BTW other pros of a dashcam as a track cam

1) Dont have to set it up each time. Its literaly rotate the rear cam (and rotate the image in settings) and ur up and running.
2) No need to worry about batteries and power cords, its all wired up already
3) Its a dashcam and give all the dashcam benefits.
I had a concern with the shower curtain rod, I mentioned that earlier coming loose on a track day. Take a look at the video I posted in the first post. I'm trying to get the "center of the car from the headrest" view, but on the M2C the seats do not have posts to attach to.

The rear dash cam idea is a good one, but the distance is too far from for the view I am trying to achieve. I found an extension mount that I should be able to use with that Gecko triple mount I posted earlier. I planned on picking it up and testing it with my Challenger. The rear side glass size is about the same so I figured I'd test it out and see where it gets me with my GoPro. I'll pick it up and report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #24
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

I use this double suction cup Ram mount, attached on the smooth part of the back of the passenger seat. There is curvature to the seat's back, and because of the flat metal plate on the mount, only one of the two suction cups sticks. Even with a single suction cup working, I have run several events and no issues with it falling off. Just in case, I have some paracord harnessing the mount to one of the rear seatbelts. If it comes loose, it will just drop to the rear seat.

You will need the extension arm to get the GoPro to place between the two front seats.

RAM RAM-B-189B-202U https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS1OET3

RAM Composite Double Socket Swivel & Ratchet Arm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SX0J88

Here's an example of the end result:
Appreciate 0