BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > ED was a mistake!

11-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #45
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyt View Post
I have been over to Europe a few times and each time has been different. Some for work, some times with other family.

I actually found the M2 ED liberating and not constrained in the slightest. Sure, I had a pickup and drop off schedule, but I would have those types of constraints on any trip. Everything after that was open to my discretion and whim.

I waited a long time for my M2 (~18 months) so the anticipation probably has something to do with things. The fact that what we did was not tailored to meet work demands or the least common denominator in a groups desires also played a role.

Regardless, the whole experience offered a freedom to go wherever we wanted to go, to do whatever we wanted to do, whenever we wanted to do it and enabled a very fluid and flexible schedule.

Still, I have to say the I would love to have the time & funds to do what you do and spend 6 weeks a year in Europe. There are, as you say, lots of things to see and do in many different countries.

My ED only allowed a glimpse, but it was a truly great time.
Life isn't any better in Europe than it is in N. America, only different. I view my time in France as my "2nd life;" a compliment to my "real" life. I know people there whom I interact with a lot during my short visits, people I know well, but in between trips, we have nothing whatever to do with each other.

Some of the reason for my own repeated trips is my wish to maintain my French language capabilities, which I think would be lost if I spent less time yearly in a place where everyone speaks the language. In addition, I like the lifestyle, the wine and the food, but at the end of each trip I am really glad to drive to the airport and to take the flights home.

There is no place like home.
trey1001125.00
      11-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #46
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
You can set the digital speed display to use kph.
Yeah I had it set to kmh, but because I was on GPS the whole trip, the dashboard display kept showing my next turn instead. It would start out displaying the speed, then disappear after a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:25 PM   #47
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
Yeah I had it set to kmh, but because I was on GPS the whole trip, the dashboard display kept showing my next turn instead. It would start out displaying the speed, then disappear after a while.

Yes that was a big annoyance so I ended up not using the built in navigation and doing google maps navigation on my phone the whole time. Sucked but I wasn't going to go blind knowing how many speed cameras are out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #48
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
Same thing happened to me, and I didn't really have time to figure out how to disable that while on the trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Yes that was a big annoyance so I ended up not using the built in navigation and doing google maps navigation on my phone the whole time. Sucked but I wasn't going to go blind knowing how many speed cameras are out there.
...so I did the same thing - switched to google maps nav (on a phone), as we preferred that anyway since it announced turns a little bit earlier and was in general a bit more chatty (not a bad thing when navigating a foreign country).
      12-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #49
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
...so I did the same thing - switched to google maps nav (on a phone), as we preferred that anyway since it announced turns a little bit earlier and was in general a bit more chatty (not a bad thing when navigating a foreign country).
Same here, except I used Waze instead of google maps. Worked very well throughout the trip in Germany, the Netherlands & Austria.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #50
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugspitze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Don't get me wrong...we really enjoyed ourselves too! I'm just being super whinny about not having my car yet. Something's up and nobody's telling me anything, so I'm extra annoyed. I was supposed to collect my car on Nov 1, but 11 days later...no news..."work order open" is all I get. I'm extemely worried that my car was damaged and they're trying to hide it.
Have you talked to Sabrina Knudsen at BMWNA yet?
Sabrina helped

Dealer tried to play games with my build claiming 6MT wasn't available, she confirmed no parts disruption and status wasn't locked in 150 status so they are able?

More expensive options means more profit to dealer

After her phone call to dealer they quickly changed order back to original.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #51
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I've done 4 European deliveries and each time it was a fantastic experience.

1. 2007 E90 335i
2. 2008 E61 535xit (twin turbo wagon)
3. 2011 W90 335i
4. 2014 M235i

Also:
1. 2011 X3 PCD
2. 2017 M3 regular dealer delivery.
      01-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #52
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I've done 4 European deliveries and each time it was a fantastic experience.

1. 2007 E90 335i
2. 2008 E61 535xit (twin turbo wagon)
3. 2011 W90 335i
4. 2014 M235i

Also:
1. 2011 X3 PCD
2. 2017 M3 regular dealer delivery.

I've done two ED's (out of 4 BMW's). While the ED experience itself was great, the negatives from my still ongoing saga (in addition to the decreased savings from 7 to 5%) are making it less and less of a value proposition.

I'm more likely to just stick to doing my Sixt or Welt rentals in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #53
alavigne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

For me it wasn't a value proposition (in fact in Canada, there's no discount for ED), it's an experience proposition.

Of course, I'm not sure what it would cost to rent from the Welt, say, an M2C 6MT for 2.5 weeks and for 5000 miles, in answer to the idea that renting from the Welt would be better.

(I say 5000 miles because that's exactly what I drove in my recent ED from last year).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #54
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavigne View Post
For me it wasn't a value proposition (in fact in Canada, there's no discount for ED), it's an experience proposition.

Of course, I'm not sure what it would cost to rent from the Welt, say, an M2C 6MT for 2.5 weeks and for 5000 miles, in answer to the idea that renting from the Welt would be better.

(I say 5000 miles because that's exactly what I drove in my recent ED from last year).
I'm with you about the experience as that was great. It's just everything since. Paying most of the car in full in October and still stuck at the port (5+ weeks now) with no known end date will make me think twice next time. Add in property taxes for a car I don't have and things don't look good.

I guess will see how salty I am next time around about this experience and how this process ends up!

5k in a couple of weeks sounds awesome. That's a different story!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #55
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:

I don’t think you can rent for 2.5 weeks straight. I’m renting for a weekend and they give 750 km, no way they will let you put 5k miles on their car
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #56
alavigne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I don’t think you can rent for 2.5 weeks straight. I’m renting for a weekend and they give 750 km, no way they will let you put 5k miles on their car
Interesting. I guess it boils down to how much/long of an experience do you want your ED to be... if just a weekend or 4 or 5 days, then maybe just going over and renting instead is better. If you are looking for a full-fledged adventure, then maybe ED begins to make more sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #57
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Interesting. I guess it boils down to how much/long of an experience do you want your ED to be... if just a weekend or 4 or 5 days, then maybe just going over and renting instead is better. If you are looking for a full-fledged adventure, then maybe ED begins to make more sense.
Yep I’m renting instead of driving mine it’s cheaper than renting snow tires
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #58
MyBimmer328
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Yep I'm renting instead of driving mine it's cheaper than renting snow tires
I too decided to rent (X4) after finding out snow tires aren't available for the M2C and realizing I was inside the April 15 timeframe.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #59
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

How could you say no to this...?

Some of the best driving in my life and no need for redline with so much torque in the hills.

Didn't touch a highway until last couple of miles.

Side note: does anyone know how the car generates the "need a break?" message...?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      03-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #60
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
I now fully understand the title and essence of this thread as I patiently wait for my M2C to cross the Atlantic after just sitting in it and making one lap around the showroom at BMW Welt. Had I not done that, the anticipation and wait would perhaps be a bit more bearable... 🤔😳😂
nomoracin758.00
      03-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #61
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
I now fully understand the title and essence of this thread as I patiently wait for my M2C to cross the Atlantic after just sitting in it and making one lap around the showroom at BMW Welt. Had I not done that, the anticipation and wait would perhaps be a bit more bearable... 🤔😳😂
Ah yes, the one worst part about European Delivery. I feel your pain. I did 1,500 miles through four countries in my beloved before the agonizing two month wait. Stay strong brother!
Appreciate 2
srwatters146.00
nomoracin758.00
      03-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #62
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
Ah yes, the one worst part about European Delivery. I feel your pain. I did 1,500 miles through four countries in my beloved before the agonizing two month wait. Stay strong brother!
Try doing ED but not getting the car on the road, winter tires not available on the M2C USA speck (big brakes)

I just got to look at it...

I don't drink warm/cool beer like they do, I don't like white boiled sausages and the women were not all tall thin blondes more like Amy Schumer's

I found a Dunkin' Donuts in Munich that doesn't serve iced coffee WTF?

It's not incredible its memorable!

But, I loved every minute of it, had fun with my son, day trip to Salzburg, nice restaurants and the people was truly friendly/helpful
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #63
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Yeah I can't remember what it was exactly, but there was an error variance calculated. I think it was 3 kmh, meaning I was doing 54 in a 50 zone.

I can't complain too much. It was an $81 mistake. If I ever do ED again, I'll know not to go over the posted speed at all. The 5 mph thing that works in most states clearly doesn't apply to Switzerland.
I too remember a flash or 2 in Zurich and coming out of the tunnels in the Alps. About 4 weeks since our ED and I'm expecting a ticket or 2 in the mail...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #64
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
I too remember a flash or 2 in Zurich and coming out of the tunnels in the Alps. About 4 weeks since our ED and I'm expecting a ticket or 2 in the mail...
surprisingly, I never received a ticket...phew!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #65
FreudeamFahren18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80, 2022 G80m

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I think I gave people the wrong idea. My wife and I had a great time. I was just bitter at the fact that it took so long to 1) collect it in Europe and 2) the re-delivery here in the States. I openly prefaced my comments with the fact that I know that I was being a whinny b$;&ch.

However, I do feel that BMW dropped the ball on the whole release date thing from the start. For the longest time, everyone was under the impression that the official release date was going to be September 17 because that was the soonest ED date anyone here in the US could get, BUT then we started hearing of folks from Canada getting way earlier dates and then they even started to show up state side soon after. My car was completed by the end of July, but I wasn't able to collect it until September. That really sucked! All I was saying was that I could've just flown to Europe in July, rented a BMW, have the same amount of fun, and fly back home with my car waiting for me in August. Sure, it would've been more expensive, but I think it would've been worth it to have my car 3 months sooner and have that "glory" feeling of being one of the firsts to receive it in my region.

Next, the re-delivery process was also "painful" because it sat at the VPC for 3 weeks with the status of "open work order." It past customs very quickly, so it wasn't even that. Nobody could tell me anything as to what the delay was for. I couldn't help, but to worry that something bad had happened. This was just very frustrating for me because I know the delay wasn't due to the fact that the VPC was backed up or anything...because people collected their cars before me when their ships arrived after mine.

Anyway, it arrived to my dealership yesterday...finally, but then we had our first snow storm of the year. LOL...my luck continues. So, I decided to leave my car there over night in hopes that today's road conditions are better...I think it will be.

I'm sure all my bitterness will fade away once I pick it up today.
ED was a blast for me.
Yes the process is long but you should know this before you embark on doing ED. This forum was invaluable for me and put things in perspective before I decided to do it.
You are complaining about driving your car in Europe specifically in Germany where you can drive on the Autobahn at incredible speeds?
Where else on earth can you do that legally on a public road?
Complains about possible damage to your car is just absurd. Your car can get damaged here the moment you leave the dealership so that makes no absolute sense. You take a risk by driving period.
VPC for me even took longer than yours. My car was hit while driving through Czech Republic, and they had to replace passenger door but even with that disappointment I still had incredible time and will surely do it again. The good outweighs the bad.
I am afraid your post might dissuade some people from Doing ED.
While we can't change how you feel about the whole process, people should understand that doing ED is a privilege not a right. I am glad BMW and few others have this program. Companies like Audi have done away with their ED program so enjoy it while it lasts.
I guess it's a matter of perspective. You view your cup as half empty I view mine as half full.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #66
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
yup I concur. same thing happened to me. the digital speed would show for a while and disappear if you set the gps
Appreciate 0