veenut28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2, 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
  [0.00]
M2 vs CT4 V Blackwing

Anyone have any seat time in the Caddy? I prefer the looks of my M2C but the CT4 and 5 Blackwing have been getting rave reviews and it seems like there’s some Q car potential since people don’t tend to look twice at Cadillacs.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 08:56 PM   #2
s1k_RR
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I've driven M2C, CT4V BW. The 4 BW is more powerful and better daily imo. Sure the M2C is smaller but the 4 BW is just a comfier ride.

Honestly, I would have loved a 4BW but loading it up to what I want ended up taking the car to almost 80k and stealerships wanted ADM. 80k + markup at that point was entry level for the 5V BW (nevermind that car's even crazier ADM). I've also driven the CT5 BW and felt as fast as my Viper. They actually trap the same speed in the 1/4, around 127/128mph.

I love my M2C, but if I could have landed a CT4 BW how I wanted for 65k, I'd probably be driving that since its my daily-ish car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 05:27 AM   #3
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition MT

Before the M2C, the ATS-V/CT4VBW were tugging at my heart, but a huge turn off for me is the way the cars sound. I'm not even that crazy about the way the M2C sounds (shame on you BMW, for forcing these rev matches, raspberries and farts on me), but it's night and day better over the V6 Caddys when it's singing. Also, working the dash controls in the Caddies annoyed me, but I suppose you'd get used to it.

BUT, they're extremely capable cars, a lot of fun to drive hard, and have better tech than the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 01:21 PM   #4
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

I'm looking for negatives on the CT4V Blackwing. Not finding many anywhere except reliability (Consumer Reports) and whether it fits you.

I would like better handling dynamics and steering feedback than my M240i provides. I'm leaning strongly towards the BW because few reports claim the steering is appreciably better on the M2 than the M240i, and the MT in the BW is supposed to be excellent. (I don't care about power. My M240i has enough for me in the twisties, and I don't street race.) Where I live, getting a test drive in either car is impossible.

It's a little strange to me there are so few comments on this thread because to me the BW is the most obvious competitor for the M2.
      08-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #5
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

I cross shopped the CT4 Blackwing and M2C in June. The superior chassis and steering of the Blackwing made it a real contender. Ultimately went with the M2C due to size. It is 11 inches shorter and 300 pounds lighter. If my garage was a bit longer, I may have gone the other way.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #6
hoot.
Rep
Drives: 1997 Miata

I was very much so interested in the ATS-V previously (same drivetrain and such), but after test driving it TWICE, I just couldn't get past the sound. The LF4 is very tunable, *feels* pretty good, but just sounds crap. The S55 is a much more special engine.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2023, 10:49 PM   #7
kassad
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6MT

Name:  IMG_3111.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  601.8 KB

I’ve only had the blackwing for two weeks, but it’s special. This one is a 6MT with no options other than the color and steering wheel, 60k after a 4K GM discount. I would not buy an M2 or M3 until you drive one.
I cross shopped with a M3, test drove both. The M3 is faster and has a nicer interior, though I didn’t care for the spaceship screen. But the blackwing is better in every other way, and far more engaging overall. It’s the best MT I’ve ever used. I prefer the engine and exhaust on the blackwing. The chassis is better, the steering is better. It’s friggin awesome, and it flys under the radar until you open the exhaust.
If you consider yourself a driver, look past the badge and give it a chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 07:55 PM   #8
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassad View Post
Attachment 3262806

I’ve only had the blackwing for two weeks, but it’s special. This one is a 6MT with no options other than the color and steering wheel, 60k after a 4K GM discount. I would not buy an M2 or M3 until you drive one.
I cross shopped with a M3, test drove both. The M3 is faster and has a nicer interior, though I didn’t care for the spaceship screen. But the blackwing is better in every other way, and far more engaging overall. It’s the best MT I’ve ever used. I prefer the engine and exhaust on the blackwing. The chassis is better, the steering is better. It’s friggin awesome, and it flys under the radar until you open the exhaust.
If you consider yourself a driver, look past the badge and give it a chance.
It looks good today, it will look like crap in 3 years…outdated, just like every previous generation of Caddy.
On the other hand, E46 M3 still looks more modern than ATS-V from a few years ago.
The 6MT in an M is completely fine transmission. Yes, there are better ones, however, the 6MT in an M is very good IMO.
Had them it in 3x F8x and now in the G80 and love it.
Interior - GM is just blah and gets old quickly. I’d get bored after 6 months
The chassis/steering…yes, I agree. It is better…but slightly.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 07:26 AM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

If given the choice between the CT4 BW and the G80, I think the CT4 would be an easy choice for me. I can’t believe I’m saying that because I dispise GM products. But these Blackwing products are different.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:02 PM   #10
Jack White
n00b
Rep
Drives: Allroad, Tacoma, M2C

Not a CT4VBW, but…

I had a manual transmission ‘16 ATSV coupe a couple years ago and am just getting to know my new to me manual ‘19 m2c (2k miles so far, but not many fun canyon/ mtn drives yet). I drove the atsv for 2 years and 20k miles (it was my fun car and did so well to entertain during the pandemic). I had it remote tuned by Scott Cook @ Tapout and it made ~550 whp/ 550 lb-ft. I really enjoyed the car for what it was. The magnetic suspension was excellent, though the car did feel a little bit heavy when pushed hard. The power delivery was also great, and felt very similar to the m2c. I did not like the long throw of the shifter (2nd to 3rd) but there weren’t any aftermarket solutions. The Alpha chassis felt great and rarely disappointed, though it did feel a little big and heavy when pushed hard enough. I never tried to improve camber but that might have helped. I did wait for over a year for some Swift springs, but supply chain holdups prevented that route and I ended up selling before I was able to try a lower ride height. The peasant spec seats absolutely sucked, so I did upgrade to the Recaros, and they were good enough, but not great (they still didn’t have enough bolstering for my liking). I’m 5’11”/ 185 lbs, for reference. The car was definitely fast enough for me and the tune seemed to have improved the sound of the LF4 engine, strangely enough. It could sound OK @ WOT but I always thought it sounded too much like a tractor, and much worse with aftermarket dp/ exhaust, in my opinion. I did love the no lift shift and wish I had it on the m2c. I also miss the Head’s Up Display. I only did one track day in it and that was the day I knew I wanted to sell it for something smaller/ lighter. I blame the gt4 that I rode in that day. I also hated being associated with the brand. Cadillac owners in lesser spec ats were an embarrassment and I loathed that group. Older folks loved my car but I think that was mostly nostalgia for what the brand once was. Everyone in the world thought it was a CTSV and after awhile, I just debadged it and let people think what they wanted. It was a cool car, for sure, but the m2c is much better, for me, in what I wanted with a fun manual coupe.

So far, for me, the m2c is better in the following ways:

Better seats, exhaust noise (barely), better looking inside and out, better aftermarket parts availability, better shifter. It seems like the m2c torque vectoring is much better than whatever the ATSV had, but I haven’t explored that enough to articulate. Seems like the m2c rear end is much more eager to let loose, but hasn’t scared me at all yet.

I dislike infotainment systems and although the atsv CUE wasn’t great, I don’t love the iDrive system either. I love the size/ shape of the m2c, especially the sexy wheel arches/ quarter panels. The m2c is so much sexier to me, and it’s never felt big or heavy, though I haven’t been able to push it all that hard yet. It seems to me that the only aspect that the atsv that was better might be suspension, but it’s not far off. I guess I’ll just want to soften up the springs or upgrade to coilovers, sometime.

I’m sure that I’m missing some observations, but these are my initial thoughts on ATSV vs M2C. The CT4VBW weighs less and has an improved interior. I’d say a better comparison would be CT4VBW vs F80/F82. All things considered, I’m very happy with the M2C and think it far superior to the ATSV, in my experience.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jack White; 12-06-2023 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 3