BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 95a Motor Mounts (Best Mod Ever)

02-28-2024, 02:10 AM   #1
pt8o
Rep
Drives: M2C

95a Motor Mounts (Best Mod Ever)

Installed Revshift 95a Motor mounts along with ECS Transmission mounts about 2 weeks ago and these were one of the best decisions I've made for my M2C.

Other mods:
- RTD solid mount shifter
- CDV Delete
- KW V3 + Camber Tops
- Milltek EL Exhaust

Buying the Mounts:

I initially bought these directly from Revshift however, after about a week, nothing that been shipped. I tried emailing and call a few times to no avail until I sent an email requesting a refund/chargeback. The guy who responded, presumably the owner said they were out of stock and just finished being made and they are 'on the way.'

I waited a few days and have yet to receive a tracking number and reading online, I read about how slow revshift can be to ship out their orders despite the website saying they're in stock. There were several complaints about orders not being shipped out despite being confirmed they were - this was my case. I asked if it could be sent via express since it was his/the websites issues for not accurately displaying stock levels. (I'm from AU and UPS would take 2-3 weeks to arrive)

After days of chasing up, the guy kept saying there were system issues and that it had been sent and tracking will be provided shortly. He also refused to send these out via express. Followed up a couple times again and then tracking was provided. The tracking did not confirm if it was shipped out, but rather just a number that merchants have when printing their own shipping labels.

After 3-4 days with no update to the tracking, I knew the mounts hadn't been shipped out and asked for a refund otherwise I would request a chargeback from my bank. The owner doubled down and said wait as they're 'on the way.' I called his bluff and said doesn't matter if they arrive, I'll just send them back. He immediately gave a refund and told me the put a 'stop on the shipping' (which isn't a thing).

Overall terrible experience where the owner blatantly lied about shipping these out. However, based on my research Revshift still make decent mounts so I proceeded to buy these from ECS Tuning (which showed they were in stock on the website). Within 2 hours of purchasing, these were shipped out via DHL Express with tracking and arrived to my door 2 days later.

Experience with the mounts

Doing research for these mounts was very difficult. Most people who own F87's don't like NVH so all the reviews were subjective based on their individual tolerance. Personally, I like NVH, it creates a visceral connection to the car and it was exactly what I was looking for. My previous car was an Integra DC5R with poly motor mounts and they were magnificant.

As soon as these were installed, upon start-up there was a noticeable difference to NVH (for me this was positive). You can hear the crisp starter motor crank before a satisfying vibration that resonates through the whole chassis as the turns on. The vibration isn't 'teeth clattering' as most claim, it's very smooth, soothling and feels very nice. As you lightly put your foot on the throttle, you feel the whole car's vibration directly proportional to the RPMs. You feel really connected to the car.

Being it's a 6MT, I bought the car for it's engagement and wanted to feel fully absorbed driving the vehicle and felt the stock engine mounts made the car feel muted, bland and almost lifeless (hence why I installed the RTD and trans mounts).

I can hear the clattering of the flywheel and clutch engaging, transmission whine in low RPM, a positive clunk with each gear engagement. Absolutely dream to drive and makes my daily drives super enjoyable.

Throttle/Engine response is greatly improved with each rev and accel, there's positive feedback and as the RPMs climb, the frequency of the vibration also climbs linearly.

In terms of cabin noise, this has made the car enjoyable with the windows up (I usually only drive with the windows down), being a 6MT, I want to hear the engine on accel/deccel as revmatching is one of the most enjoyable experiences driving a manual.

I can hear whines and vibrations through the whole chassis, it's not overbearing and with windows up, you can have conversations without it being intrusive.

Note:

I daily my car, but I don't drive my traffic. I run my business from home, so the only time I drive is errands, to the gym and occasional mountain runs. I have plans to track the car in April and will be doing 2-3 track days/year.

I'm fortunate that my fiance also really enjoys the motor mounts, we both think it adds so much character to the car.

I know this mod isn't for everyone but I wanted to share my experience for the very guys here that might enjoy this type of feedback and response.

Final thoughts

Does it feel 'racecar'? Not quite, when I think of racecar I think, stripped our interior, roadnoise, hearing every rock bouncing off the chassis and your own thoughts drowned out by NVH. I feel this feels very clubsport for those who enjoy spirited drives.

I also think these mounts both transmission and motor mounts are more relevant for 6MT rather than DCT. I personally can't imagine ever driving a DCT despite it being a superior gearbox. I'm not fussed with shift speeds or 0-60 launches, I just wanted to enjoy every second of operating the vehicle, I like feeling connected and I don't see driving as a chore.

This car makes me laugh and smile on every drive. I've owned this since new and have driven about 18k miles on it and have seen it grow and transform from stock over the last 2.5 years.

If there is anyone out there as crazy as me, you'd love these mounts.
Appreciate 7
      03-08-2024, 07:04 AM   #2
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Please share an in-cabin video if you get a chance, appreciate it.
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2024, 01:30 AM   #3
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Why didn't you opt for GT4 inserts on stock mounts?
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 07:48 AM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt8o View Post
Most people who own F87's don't like NVH. Personally, I like NVH. If there is anyone out there as crazy as me, you'd love these mounts.
This should be your headline.
Appreciate 1
jayee88102.50