BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Search of the Ultimate Exhaust setup for the M2C

05-02-2022, 12:20 AM   #1
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Search of the Ultimate Exhaust setup for the M2C

So after much research and comparisons, with the help of several members and threads on the topic, I ended up ordering the AA Resonated EL Midpipe with the AA Axleback.

- Exhaust Choice
I wanted an exhaust that fixed the whining S55, slightly louder but not obnoxious (Daily), and hopefully with some character at the lower RPM's. I passed on the single AA midpipe as I didn't think it would fix the whining sound (just louder and deeper), and also passed on the EL Non-resonated due to the raspiness and not as clean sound.
As for the axle-back, top contenders were AA, Remus Race, and MPE. Passed on Remus Sport as I don't think its big enough of a change in overall exhaust volume. Decided on AA mostly for same brand and price compared to Remus Race and MPE.

- Initial Impressions
As expected, the whining sounds are gone, instead there is a howl at 3.5K that sings deeper and louder Downside is that the burbles in Sport+ got ridiculous- coded that out asap. The volume is only about 1.4 x stock volume. If you are looking for LOUD, this is not the setup for you. There is no drone, some occasional metallic rasp but it's fine.

- Overall satisfaction after a few weeks
(8/10) It definitely fixed the issues, and I feel like this setup should have been the way the M2C should have come from the factory. As in the video below, it's very unnoticeable in efficient mode, but during aggressive driving in Sport+ you can really hear the howling in the higher RPM's.
What lets me down is the lower RPM's. Especially from inside the car, there really isn't much going on until 3K+, just a low humming- dare I say it even sounds similar to ASD (which I had coded out immediately after I got the car). I was looking for some more mechanical character in the lower RPMS.

- My continued search
Should I try out the Remus Race? or MPE?
Maybe even Downpipes?
Or is this the best S55 can get?

Any feedback from you exhaust gurus welcome!

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Catted downpipes will increase the sound by another 20% or so including the lower RPM. That should the remaining issues

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Catted downpipes will increase the sound by another 20% or so including the lower RPM. That should the remaining issues
Do you suggest a certain catted DP for use with the EL unresonated?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 10:51 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoshotz View Post
Do you suggest a certain catted DP for use with the EL unresonated?
Soundwise it's very similar no matter which brand you choose, if the check engine light is a concern, I recommend the active autowerke

other options will trigger the code

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #5
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp087 View Post
So after much research and comparisons, with the help of several members and threads on the topic, I ended up ordering the AA Resonated EL Midpipe with the AA Axleback.

- Exhaust Choice
I wanted an exhaust that fixed the whining S55, slightly louder but not obnoxious (Daily), and hopefully with some character at the lower RPM's. I passed on the single AA midpipe as I didn't think it would fix the whining sound (just louder and deeper), and also passed on the EL Non-resonated due to the raspiness and not as clean sound.
As for the axle-back, top contenders were AA, Remus Race, and MPE. Passed on Remus Sport as I don't think its big enough of a change in overall exhaust volume. Decided on AA mostly for same brand and price compared to Remus Race and MPE.

- Initial Impressions
As expected, the whining sounds are gone, instead there is a howl at 3.5K that sings deeper and louder Downside is that the burbles in Sport+ got ridiculous- coded that out asap. The volume is only about 1.4 x stock volume. If you are looking for LOUD, this is not the setup for you. There is no drone, some occasional metallic rasp but it's fine.

(8/10) It definitely fixed the issues, and I feel like this setup should have been the way the M2C should have come from the factory. As in the video below, it's very unnoticeable in efficient mode, but during aggressive driving in Sport+ you can really hear the howling in the higher RPM's.
What lets me down is the lower RPM's. Especially from inside the car, there really isn't much going on until 3K+, just a low humming- dare I say it even sounds similar to ASD (which I had coded out immediately after I got the car). I was looking for some more mechanical character in the lower RPMS.

- My continued search
Maybe even Downpipes?

I’d say it sounds pretty good! Do you have the piped in sound disabled? I have AA single mid-pipe and Remus Race rear. It is pretty loud. Sounds awesome but on road, the noise is annoying when RPM is constant 3k+.

Actually considering swapping to something a bit quieter. Maybe trading rear section.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 12:27 PM   #6
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I’d say it sounds pretty good! Do you have the piped in sound disabled? I have AA single mid-pipe and Remus Race rear. It is pretty loud. Sounds awesome but on road, the noise is annoying when RPM is constant 3k+.

Actually considering swapping to something a bit quieter. Maybe trading rear section.
Thanks! I agree this setup is good for a daily, but you just keep wanting more lol. I have ASD disabled, maybe that might help out for you as well? Also consider trading the single mid instead- from what I know the single is louder than the resonated EL.
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      05-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
NE_M2C
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I would love to hear a AA Resonated EL + Remus Race set up to compare this with.
Appreciate 1
PHX102160.50
      05-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Quote:

- Exhaust Choice

- Initial Impressions

- My continued search
Maybe even Downpipes?

The race exhaust is still valved isn't it? Is it still to much noise when in comfort mode?
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #9
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
The race exhaust is still valved isn't it? Is it still to much noise when in comfort mode?
It used stock vale’s and I have a controller. Even closed it is loud while driving. Valves closed make it quieter at idle or sub-2.5k revs or so. Small drone/resonance right at 3k but not bad.

Sounds awesome but it is loud.
Appreciate 1
PHX102160.50
      05-02-2022, 10:51 PM   #10
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE_M2C View Post
I would love to hear a AA Resonated EL + Remus Race set up to compare this with.
There was another thread here recently
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1912045

Can't really tell from the video but it does sound a little louder, not sure if it changes the tone at all, low RPM's sound similar?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #11
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

People sleep on the Valvetronic setup. Fitment is kind of bad though but apparently the guys have fixed it in new models. Upside--no goofy midpipe that achieves EL by unnecessary bends. I would say it's a good option if you have stock DPs but definitely wouldn't do it with high flow cats.

05-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #12
NE_M2C
Rep

Quote:
There was another thread here recently
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1912045

Can't really tell from the video but it does sound a little louder, not sure if it changes the tone at all, low RPM's sound similar?
Ah, I didn't realize that was resonated. It definitely sounds louder during the standing revs and maybe a bit during drive by. Tone seems slightly different - but it can be so tough to tell via video, honestly.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:50 AM   #13
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think this video is about the best an M2 can sound, but again, this is an M2CS. From what I searched M2 CS seems to have a slightly different note than the M2C Exhaust from the factory, maybe the tune?

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #14
protamine
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think it sounds excellent. Commenting to bookmark for later.

Former:
17 911 GTS - 69 Camaro SS 396 - 08 E92 335xi - JB4, 12.2@115
Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      05-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #15
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Does anyone have clips of just an axle-back / slip-on for M2C? I don't want anything super loud and not sure I want a midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 11:07 PM   #16
atruong247
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

mpe and call it a day. I regret not going that route.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      05-13-2022, 12:53 PM   #17
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruong247 View Post
mpe and call it a day. I regret not going that route.
I did MPE 1st and was a nice improvement over stock... i was still looking for a bit more so added non resonated AA single mid-pipe and think it took it up another level with volume and tone.. and lastly after hearing the higher pitch tone of the EL mid-pipe on vids i replaced the Single with AA EL non resonated mid-pipe ( so personal preference ) .. and survey says i can finally say this car now sounds freaking great ... from 4k up with EL and MPE it is magic..... People cant say the N55 M2 sounds soo much better than the S55... this set up (could use any back section with single or El mid-pipe) and it transforms the car..
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #18
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelczyk7 View Post
I did MPE 1st and was a nice improvement over stock... i was still looking for a bit more so added non resonated AA single mid-pipe and think it took it up another level with volume and tone.. and lastly after hearing the higher pitch tone of the EL mid-pipe on vids i replaced the Single with AA EL non resonated mid-pipe ( so personal preference ) .. and survey says i can finally say this car now sounds freaking great ... from 4k up with EL and MPE it is magic..... People cant say the N55 M2 sounds soo much better than the S55... this set up (could use any back section with single or El mid-pipe) and it transforms the car..
Just MPE added
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3CEr0pS9Lhw
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #19
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
MPE + AA EL Non resonated .. in neighborhood so 5 k shifts .. someday will post new vid with & 7 K + shifts
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/i4vAFt-lKuM
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      05-13-2022, 12:59 PM   #20
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
MPE + AA EL Non resonated .. in neighborhood so 5 k shifts .. someday will post new vid with & 7 K + shifts
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/i4vAFt-lKuM
in car - MPE + EL Mid probably shifting a bit above 5 k .....
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7gd9gS_HQ4s
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 01:09 PM   #21
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
in car - MPE + EL Mid probably shifting a bit above 5 k .....
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7gd9gS_HQ4s
lastly since these vids i coded out the burbles which was getting too loud the volume increased with the upgrades. Now love the pure sound of the exhaust as can hear it as i rev it out and more importantly i can hear the overrun coming off the gas with out the pops and bangs ...
Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      05-13-2022, 01:10 PM   #22
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How would you compare the Single Midpipe combo compared to your current setup at under 4K?
Appreciate 0