BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exhaust Valves.

07-07-2022, 11:39 PM   #1
SinatraM
Rep
Drives: 20 GTR

Exhaust Valves.

Anyone have an akrapovic exhaust? when you go into sport plus are valves open 100% of time or only above a certain rpm?

leaving the valves default position on startup.
2019 M2C HS 6MT (sold Aug '22)
2020 Nissan GTR 50th(Current)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 11:44 PM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

On the Competition they operate like stock and if you have the controller you can have them open 100% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 11:46 PM   #3
SinatraM
Rep
Drives: 20 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
On the Competition they operate like stock and if you have the controller you can have them open 100% of the time.
Quote:
So i guess my question is, does stock have valves closed until around 2500-3000 rpm and downshifts are always closed while in sport plus?
2019 M2C HS 6MT (sold Aug '22)
2020 Nissan GTR 50th(Current)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #4
(K)
Captain
Rep

I can't seem to find the literature on it but I recall that they're opened in 1st and 2nd. Through the higher gears, they only open either after about 3000rpm OR they remain open after heavy throttle from 1st and 2nd.

You know what, I'll have to take the car out for you this afternoon and confirm. I know, a bit of effort required on my part but I'll do it for the sake of the forums!
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2022, 02:41 PM   #5
(K)
Captain
Rep

So I took the car out again today to confirm the exhaust valve behavior. These were all mental notes so take them at face value. At some point I stopped keeping track of the valve operation and got lost in the drive.

Sport/Sport+, MDM
1st gear open
2nd gear open
3rd gear open after ~2800 RPM ("normal" to light throttle load)
3rd gear open after ~2300 RPM ("heavy" throttle load)
4th-6th behaved similarly to 3rd depending on load

Notes:
- downshifting puts the valves into open or closed position depending on engine load and current gear. For example, downshifting to 3rd from 4th and under the 2300-2800rpm threshold, valves will close until the above conditions are met.
- didn't bother testing Efficient mode to confirm if the valves open under full load
- the valves stayed open from 2nd gear upwards when under heavy load and shifting later in the rev range. I think this has more to do with the gear ratios than pre-programmed valve behavior. For example in normal street driving, upshifting to 3rd at ~4k puts the tach right at the 2800 RPM mark for the next gear, which is the valve open range.

The engineering thought they put into the valve operation, engine performance, and transmission gearing is amazing.
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2022, 11:55 PM   #6
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
So I took the car out again today to confirm the exhaust valve behavior. These were all mental notes so take them at face value. At some point I stopped keeping track of the valve operation and got lost in the drive.

Sport/Sport+, MDM
1st gear open
2nd gear open
3rd gear open after ~2800 RPM ("normal" to light throttle load)
3rd gear open after ~2300 RPM ("heavy" throttle load)
4th-6th behaved similarly to 3rd depending on load

Notes:
- downshifting puts the valves into open or closed position depending on engine load and current gear. For example, downshifting to 3rd from 4th and under the 2300-2800rpm threshold, valves will close until the above conditions are met.
- didn't bother testing Efficient mode to confirm if the valves open under full load
- the valves stayed open from 2nd gear upwards when under heavy load and shifting later in the rev range. I think this has more to do with the gear ratios than pre-programmed valve behavior. For example in normal street driving, upshifting to 3rd at ~4k puts the tach right at the 2800 RPM mark for the next gear, which is the valve open range.

The engineering thought they put into the valve operation, engine performance, and transmission gearing is amazing.
I never realized valves open/close based off throttle position, etc. I assumed (wrongly) by switching car into sport or sport+ mode... valves were open. Obviously, I was fooled by ASD. First time I switched from sport/sport+ to efficient, on highway, I realized the whole ASD facade and associated drone being pumped through interior speakers.

So do you have ASD coded off and is your exhaust is loud enough to discern valve position by ear? Trying to figure out how you can tell when valves are closed vs open? I've yet to turn my ASD off... but I think it's coming.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 11:38 AM   #7
(K)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
I never realized valves open/close based off throttle position, etc. I assumed (wrongly) by switching car into sport or sport+ mode... valves were open. Obviously, I was fooled by ASD. First time I switched from sport/sport+ to efficient, on highway, I realized the whole ASD facade and associated drone being pumped through interior speakers.

So do you have ASD coded off and is your exhaust is loud enough to discern valve position by ear? Trying to figure out how you can tell when valves are closed vs open? I've yet to turn my ASD off... but I think it's coming.
Yes, I have ASD coded off and the Akrapovic Evolution system. The sound of the exhaust with open and closed valves are noticeably different, it's almost like a light switch how loud/soft it is.
Appreciate 1
Telluride125.00