BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > BMW Roadside / AAA

12-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
nzafi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X2

BMW Roadside / AAA

Does anyone here ever use BMW roadside assistance? Just got my M2C and trying to decide if I should just sign up for AAA. I’m worried about the fact that there is no spare tire and I don’t have run flats. I’ve never used BMW Roadside and I’m curious if it’s free or has any downsides. I think they will only tow to local dealerships and probably their timeliness of service isn’t as good.

Thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
No worry. BMW roadside is as good as AAA. It is free for as long as your warranty. If you need a tow they will tow it to the nearest BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

All the roadside/AAA type services draw from the same database. Whoever is available and agrees to price terms they go with or whoever is available to do the job with the correct tow/flatbed.
      12-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I have AAA mainly for the other car and discounts, it really paid off when I had to rent a car for my son and hertz waived the young driver fees because of AAA discount
      12-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I have always had AAA Plus because I want towing up to 100 miles (which might be my house rather than the nearest BMW dealer). I also had AAA flatbed my previous BMW to a independent 45 miles away (rather than a BMW dealer 15 miles away) when the water pump failed.

The cheapest AAA Basic plan forces you to go to the nearest AAA garage (or IIRC, 5 miles or some small distance)

The most expensive plan includes a 200 mile tow. I prefer to have control over the destination.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

in addition to your BMW roadside assistance, lots of insurance companies also offer the service. your current insurance provider may already have you covered. the only bad thing with AAA is trying to cancel it. i had to let AMEX handle the issue since AAA was being a royal pain with cancellation.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
the only bad thing with AAA is trying to cancel it. i had to let AMEX handle the issue since AAA was being a royal pain with cancellation.
Strange, that hasn't been my experience at all. They email/mail me a letter each year asking me to renew and If I don't pay it cancels itself. Maybe you enrolled in some sort of auto-renewal/autopay?

Speaking of royal pains, try cancelling a Sirius XM subscription. Wonderful company to deal with
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #8
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Advice from someone with experience in the auto insurance claims industry and towing. Often, AAA owns or contracts with towers at higher pay rate than insurers or BMW. Time of day, location and weather are all important factors. I found myself with a flat a short time ago and was on the side of the road for 3 hours waiting on BMW arranged tow. When they arrived, they couldn't tow because my car was too low. Crazy, right? BMW knows what they are towing in advance. Called AAA and they were out 40 minutes later with the right equipment.

I find AAA pays for itself with discounts or offsets enough at least. I would recommend them over insurance or BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #9
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

Took over 3 hours for BMW roadside to rescue me. In NYC where tow trucks are everywhere. And their number didn’t work for first hour trying to reach them.
Job well done
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #10
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

1 Tow out of pocket expense will pay for an annual AAA membership. At least the classic anyway. Most times it'll cover most of or all of Plus membership depending on how far you want to Tow. Another good thing about AAA is that they'll tow any car even if you don't own it as long as you are there when they arrive. So if you're in your friends car it breaks down and need a Tow. They'll tow it. And unlike BMW they will tow to any location
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      11-20-2023, 07:26 AM   #11
Stoophy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I noticed this thread is a bit older, but the topic of roadside assistance remains relevant. It's great to see that you were thinking ahead when deciding between BMW Roadside Assistance and AAA for your M2C.
BMW Roadside Assistance often comes with the purchase of a BMW, catering to BMW owners' unique needs. AAA, on the other hand, provides more general coverage for various vehicles.
Additionally, services like stuck.solutions have also been offering reliable roadside assistance solutions, ensuring you have assistance whenever you need it. Ultimately, the choice between these services comes down to your preferences and the level of coverage you desire for your vehicle.

Last edited by Stoophy; 11-22-2023 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 08:43 PM   #12
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

i have AAA Premier in case I breakdown at a track (200 mile tow). I've had a battery replaced for free as well with the coverage, $250 AGM battery installed. I have an AirMan ResQ Pro+ in my trunk just in case I dont have time to wait for AAA (catching a flight).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 05:59 PM   #13
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoophy View Post
I noticed this thread is a bit older, but the topic of roadside assistance remains relevant. It's great to see that you were thinking ahead when deciding between BMW Roadside Assistance and AAA for your M2C.
BMW Roadside Assistance often comes with the purchase of a BMW, catering to BMW owners' unique needs. AAA, on the other hand, provides more general coverage for various vehicles.
Additionally, services like stuck.solutions have also been offering reliable roadside assistance solutions, ensuring you have assistance whenever you need it. Ultimately, the choice between these services comes down to your preferences and the level of coverage you desire for your vehicle.
Wouldn’t say bmw roadside is any better than anything else. Second time calling roadside after the chargepipe wasn’t secured after my warranty service. Yeah my first problem was due to dealer mechanic work. They sent a an old school taildragger tow truck… couldn’t wait any longer but bmw called back stating no bmw m car should be towed on a taildragger unless absolutely necessary. They last guy didn’t know what he was doing. He was nice and paid for my Uber to pick up my car.
Appreciate 0