BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Brand new M2 Comp Radiator

01-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
james3491
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Brand new M2 Comp Radiator

Hi guys,

I'm a brand new M2 Comp owner from Sydney and, whilst driving and breaking the car in, got some splat on the front grille and radiator inside (Pics attached for your reference).

Just wanting to clean it off I used the garden hose on a single jet stream setting (not overly strong but some pressure is there) right in front of the grill to find out my radiator is probably ruined now.

After doing some research and a shit tonne of stressing.

My questions are:

- Is this anything to be worried about ? After some research, I've seen people freak out over one or two bends and obviously compared to mine, are nothing.

- Upon initial view, is this enough damage (if any) to affect performance at all and the radiators cooling ability ?

- Worst comes to worst, would it be expensive to replace ?

Any advice would be highly appreciated thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3491 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a brand new M2 Comp owner from Sydney and, whilst driving and breaking the car in, got some splat on the front grille and radiator inside (Pics attached for your reference).

Just wanting to clean it off I used the garden hose on a single jet stream setting (not overly strong but some pressure is there) right in front of the grill to find out my radiator is probably ruined now.

After doing some research and a shit tonne of stressing.

My questions are:

- Is this anything to be worried about ? After some research, I've seen people freak out over one or two bends and obviously compared to mine, are nothing.

- Upon initial view, is this enough damage (if any) to affect performance at all and the radiators cooling ability ?

- Worst comes to worst, would it be expensive to replace ?

Any advice would be highly appreciated thank you.
Everyone's car will eventually look like that after a few years if you drive enough. You might lose a little efficiency from bent fins but doubt it will cause any issues. Just make sure you don't see any leaks from a puncture.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

You can always get from eBay a radiator fin comb and with time and patience you can fix it and make it look maybe 90% better..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

BTW you can always put a guard for the lower heat exchangers like I did since day 1, this is a way much more effective than the outer wire meshes some people been installing.
You will need to make a template and cut these to measure but the final result looks great

Allstar ALL30158 - Pantalla de radiador (19" alto x 26" ancho x 1/2" gruesa) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K8IP6M..._lcW.FbWPWQWJS
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Just wait until you get the remains of bird at least twice the size of a kookaburra through the lower grill with the engine hot...
Appreciate 1
GFEA228.50
      01-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #6
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Just wait until you get the remains of bird at least twice the size of a kookaburra through the lower grill with the engine hot...
LOL should have thrown some seasoning on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

It's fine, bent fins are normal when you drive a car forawhile. Like others have said use a radiator fin comb, or if you are patient enough use a small plastic or metal screw driver to straighten the fins - be very patient with this if you dont want to punch a hole through the radiator.