11-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #45
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Mine is not bent sheet metal.
If it isn't bent sheet metal could you explain what it is and how it is manufactured? I'm always interested in hearing about new manufacturing techniques.

Edit: The methods I'm aware of are forging, milling, and bending. With that overhang it'll be impossible to mill and really expensive to forge (also, why have an overhang if you're forging?) leaving only bending. Well, if you want to be pedantic there's 3D printing but no way in hell is that thing printed.

I would love to be wrong here though.
Appreciate 1
j23654.50
      11-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #46
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3username View Post
If it isn't bent sheet metal could you explain what it is and how it is manufactured? I'm always interested in hearing about new manufacturing techniques.
Well, I need your definition of what sheet metal is first. As well as your reasoning how CNC produces higher quality license plates.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #47
m3username
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, I need your definition of what sheet metal is first.
The Wikipedia definition is close enough to the universal definition of the material to work for this discussion
Appreciate 1
j23654.50
      11-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #48
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The Wikipedia definition is close enough to the universal definition of the material to work for this discussion
What exactly about the plate I linked makes it sheet metal? I'm not seeing anything in Wiki that fits in.

Nor am I seeing (and you haven't answered) how stainless steel is worse than aluminum in any way and how CNCing something is greater. Technically, the BMW body panels would be of inferior quality by your definition and standards.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #49
m3username
Private
Rep

Quote:
What exactly about the plate I linked makes it sheet metal? I'm not seeing anything in Wiki that fits in.
Read my previous statement asking what process it was made with. If it's not bent sheet metal it has to be milled, forged, or printed.

You're intentionally arguing against something factually true (that the frame is made of sheet metal), are you okay? I've noticed some of your flame wars in other threads and I know this is a super stressful tine.
Appreciate 1
j23654.50
      11-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #50
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Read my previous statement asking what process it was made with. If it's not bent sheet metal it has to be milled, forged, or printed.

You're intentionally arguing against something factually true (that the frame is made of sheet metal), are you okay? I've noticed some of your flame wars in other threads and I know this is a super stressful tine.
Well, no. I am intentionally arguing your claim that one is inferior quality. Which it isn't. While also arguing your claim that it's "sheet metal" which by the definition you provided, it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #51
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Mine is not bent sheet metal. And I fail to see how the quality of the FC one is greater. Aluminum is not greater than stainless steel. It's weaker, less corrosion resistant, and more expensive.
You bought a Chinese-made license plate frame. How would you know what exactly it's made of?

Billet aluminum has many advantages over "fake" stainless steel. For starters, it's much lighter and doesn't actually "corrode" in the traditional sense like steel does (rust). The corrosion of aluminum actually strengthens the metal.

The grade of steel coming out of China on these license plate frames is not high quality by any stretch. I've seen the so-called Chinese-made "stainless" steel rust plenty of times throughout the years. That's because these are hardly ever true 304, let alone 316 grade. Chinese-made stainless is mostly made of nickel pig iron. It's just a mixture containing different amounts of nickel, iron, and chromium. No surprise, surface rust spots will occur. True 18/10 quality stainless - as we know it here in US and Europe - is made exclusively from refined steel, nickel, and chromium. This is true stainless steel that has essentially no rust factors. At the end of the day, one should really avoid Chinese stainless steel.

You can be sure that billet aluminum is a better metal for outdoor use than Chinese "stainless" steel because it has better weather resistance. Educate yourself.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #52
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
You bought a Chinese-made license plate frame. How would you know what exactly it's made of?

Billet aluminum has many advantages over "fake" stainless steel. For starters, it's much lighter and doesn't actually "corrode" in the traditional sense like steel does (rust). The corrosion of aluminum actually strengthens the metal.

The grade of steel coming out of China on these license plate frames is not high quality by any stretch. I've seen the so-called Chinese-made "stainless" steel rust plenty of times throughout the years. That's because these are hardly ever true 304, let alone 316 grade. Chinese-made stainless is mostly made of nickel pig iron. It's just a mixture containing different amounts of nickel, iron, and chromium. No surprise, surface rust spots will occur. True 18/10 quality stainless - as we know it here in US - is made exclusively from refined steel, nickel, and chromium. This is true stainless steel that has essentially no rust factors. At the end of the day, one should really avoid Chinese stainless steel.

You can be sure that billet aluminum is a better metal for outdoor use than Chinese "stainless" steel because it has better weather resistance. Educated yourself.
8 years of weather resistance in one of the harshest winter climates in the USA, I really doubt it's "fake stainless steel". You're the one guessing what it's made out of.

And lightness does not make a license plate frame superior lol. You're really trying to shave weight with a license plate?

Also, aluminum DOES corrode. Are you really that ignorant??

And you really think driving around with a corroded aluminum license plate is visually appealing to a shiny stainless one?

And aluminum is stronger?? LOL, you gotta be kidding me. Aluminum is weaker than steel.

I'm really sorry you have to go to such great length to justify spending $100 on an inferior nonsense license plate frame.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #53
m3username
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, no. I am intentionally arguing your claim that one is inferior quality. Which it isn't. While also arguing your claim that it's "sheet metal" which by the definition you provided, it isn't.
It feels like you're trying to be inflammatory here while avoiding any substantive discussion. I'm gonna stop engaging. I hope you're doing okay in these stressful times.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #54
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It feels like you're trying to be inflammatory here while avoiding any substantive discussion. I'm gonna stop engaging. I hope you're doing okay in these stressful times.
You've provided nothing of substance to the convo that I've asked for. You claim that CNC and aluminum is a superior mfg process for a license plate frame. I've asked you to explain how... you refused. If you want to have a sustentative discussion, maybe you should start doing so instead of making baseless claims you can't justify.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #55
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
8 years of weather resistance in one of the harshest winter climates in the USA, I really doubt it's "fake stainless steel". You're the one guessing what it's made out of.

And lightness does not make a license plate frame superior lol. You're really trying to shave weight with a license plate?

Also, aluminum DOES corrode. Are you really that ignorant??

And you really think driving around with a corroded aluminum license plate is visually appealing to a shiny stainless one?

And aluminum is stronger?? LOL, you gotta be kidding me. Aluminum is weaker than steel.

I'm really sorry you have to go to such great length to justify spending $100 on an inferior nonsense license plate frame.
Dude, you need to get lost.

For the record, I never once claimed that aluminum is stronger or that it doesn't corrode. You Sir are the definition of a troll. Enjoy your knockoff Chinese frame (which BTW looks like crap in the photos you linked).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #56
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Dude, you need to get lost.

For the record, I never once claimed that aluminum is stronger or that it doesn't corrode. You Sir are the definition of a troll. Enjoy your knockoff Chinese frame (which BTW looks like crap in the photos you linked).
"Billet aluminum has many advantages over "fake" stainless steel. For starters, it's much lighter and doesn't actually "corrode" in the traditional sense like steel does (rust). "

That's your exact quote. Making complete guesses about what type of metal my license plate frame is made out of, despite hard evidence that proves your claim is wrong. Which has been a pattern of you ignoring hard evidence that I provide. Whle also claiming that aluminum doesn't corrode and is therefor stronger.

Sorry, but aluminum does corrode. Stainless steel does as well... I know... SHOCKER!

Do you really think corrosion doesn't effect the strength of a material? Lol.

And are you really making claims that rust and corrosion are the same thing? Rust is a bi-product of oxidized iron.

Let me just say, the debate would go a whole lot smoother if you didn't make baseless claims to justify your position.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 11-03-2020 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #57
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Quote:
I dunno why you guys are spending so much on a plain thin frame. I've been using these ones from Amazon for 8 years. They're like 10x cheaper than the future classic one. Work perfectly for the standard and specialty Pennsylvania plates I've used.

https://www.amazon.com/Indeedbuy-New...160&sr=8-7

I've had similar frames before. There are several things I don't like about them:

1. They rust. If you live in a cold climate and experience salt, they will rust given that they're mostly made of cheap Chinese steel. I've even seen so-called "stainless steel" frames of this type develop rust over time because they're not truly stainless. Billet aluminum won't rust. Sure, it will corrode, but that actually protects it from corroding further.

2. They vibrate when you close the trunk.

3. The screw holes are too large, which forces you to use the hider caps, which in turn makes taking the frame/plate off a PITA. I do this quite frequently when I detail the car to get to the dirt behind the bracket.

4. It's not really that slim, despite being advertised as "slim". The frame discussed in this thread and several others I'm after are truly slimmer and IMO look better.

It sounds like a stupid thing to discuss, but if you're anal like me, you'd be surprised how difficult it is to find a well-fitting, reliable, and truly slim license plate frame. In the last decade, I must have gone through at least 10 license plate frames between my cars and was never truly satisfied with any one of them. If they didn't look like crap, then they either rusted or the paint peeled.
Not trying to high jack this thread or say that the FC product is bad. I'm sure it's great and they will sort it out for you eventually.

This frame address all of the concerns you posted (and are the same concerns I've had.)
I've been happy with it after 1 year so far.

Rightcar Solutions Flawless Silicone License Plate Frame - Rust-Proof. Rattle-Proof. Weather-Proof. - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CV5PLFM...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #58
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Not trying to high jack this thread or say that the FC product is bad. I'm sure it's great and they will sort it out for you eventually.

This frame address all of the concerns you posted (and are the same concerns I've had.)

Rightcar Solutions Flawless Silicone License Plate Frame - Rust-Proof. Rattle-Proof. Weather-Proof. - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CV5PLFM...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Nice! Agreed, an even better option than the one I posted for OPs concerns.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #59
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Billet aluminum has many advantages over "fake" stainless steel. For starters, it's much lighter and doesn't actually "corrode" in the traditional sense like steel does (rust). "

That's your exact quote. Making complete guesses about what type of metal my license plate frame is made out of, despite hard evidence that proves your claim is wrong. Which has been a pattern of you ignoring hard evidence that I provide. Whle also claiming that aluminum doesn't corrode and is therefor stronger.

Sorry, but aluminum does corrode. Stainless steel does as well... I know... SHOCKER!

Do you really think corrosion doesn't effect the strength of a material? Lol.

And are you really making claims that rust and corrosion are the same thing? Rust is a bi-product of oxidized iron.

Let me just say, the debate would go a whole lot smoother if you didn't make baseless claims to justify your position.
You have history of misconstruing people's posts.

I never once claimed that aluminum doesn't corrode. What I claimed was the aluminum doesn't corrode "in the traditional sense like steel does". When steel "corrodes", it actually rusts (e.g. it turns brown). Aluminum doesn't. Aluminum's corrosion is an entirely different process whereby it actually strengthens the metal. Additionally, 6061-T6 aluminum is more corrosion-resistant than stainless steel.

Here's my earlier quote that you conveniently skipped, which proves that you're making false accusations:

Quote:
Billet aluminum won't rust. Sure, it will corrode, but that actually protects it from corroding further.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #60
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post

Rightcar Solutions Flawless Silicone License Plate Frame - Rust-Proof. Rattle-Proof. Weather-Proof. - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CV5PLFM...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I had a very similar one years ago on one of my prior cars. It wasn't exactly this one, but it was also the silicone type.

Frankly, it was terrible and solved nothing. They crack, fade, and lose color in less than a year. Fitment is also an issue as it doesn't sit flush. It tends to warp in places too, which is very common with silicone type frames. All in all, just another shit product manufactured in China.

If it works for you, great. I tried it and it's garbage in my book.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #61
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You have history of misconstruing people's posts.

I never once claimed that aluminum doesn't corrode. What I claimed was the aluminum doesn't corrode "in the traditional sense like steel does". When steel "corrodes", it actually rusts (e.g. it turns brown). Aluminum doesn't. Aluminum's corrosion is an entirely different process whereby it actually strengthens the metal. Additionally, 6061-T6 aluminum is more corrosion-resistant than stainless steel.

Here's my earlier quote that you conveniently skipped, which proves that you're making false accusations:
And you are wrong. Corrosion does not make aluminum stronger lol.

https://fractory.com/aluminium-corro...assive%20metal.

https://www.totalmateria.com/page.as...e%20of%20water.

And you are also forgetting that the FC frames are anodized.

And finally, the conversation is about stainless steel. Which does not rust. It forms an oxide layer just like aluminum. Maybe try comparing materials that are actually relevant to the conversion instead of making an argument "Aluminum is stronger than a banana because it doesn't rot"

You are unfortunately wrong on ALL FRONTS!

Last edited by Anthony1s; 11-03-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0