M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Rollbar / Half-Cage

04-16-2021, 11:23 AM   #67
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzoommo View Post
Yes. It’s my understanding that CM will be adding M2 half cages to their line up. I’m the guinea pig.
My M2C was dropped at Competition Motorsport’s shop in Des Moines on Monday. They are already fabricating the bolt-in half cage and making their templates for future orders. Will add photos as work progresses.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      04-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #68
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep

More installation pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      04-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #69
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Here's mine. Picked it up Tuesday and painted it yesterday. Will get more pictures when the weather is nicer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mcvaughan704.00
ebisu81079.50
      05-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #70
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

The CMS bars look great.

Did they weld in plates, or just drill and sandwich?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #71
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #72
Ex-M2 Owner
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I think it's been said a couple of times here already but I'd just like to reiterate. If you order from Studio RSR, you will get ghosted and the experience will be an absolute headache. I'm the type of person that doesn't take any type of s*#t when it comes to other people holding onto my money and communicating with me or even following up in a timely manner when I send a response. I ended up going the chargeback route with my credit card company. I cannot stress enough, if you do chose to go with them, pay via a credit card instead of a debit card. I wish I saw some of the reviews prior to ordering. Here's my high-level timeline:
  • 10/28: Exchange 48 messages in the span of 4 hours. This is the day that I inquired about the cage and when I ended up placing my deposit. (they require 50% up front). They gave me a lead time of 4-6 weeks. [via IG]
  • 11/1: I reach out to them to see if the roll cage fits the M2C because I was thinking about trading into that car. Exchanged 6 messages in an hour and a half. [via IG]
  • 11/18: Because I like to be kept in the loop, I reached out to them (1 message) to make sure we're still on track for 4-6 weeks and to give them the color code that I ended up going with for the powder coating. No response. [via IG]
  • 11/19: After 24 hours from when I sent the IG message the day before, I email them with my color choice.
  • I follow up with them on IG letting them know that I replied to their message. 4 messages exchanged in an hour and a half. No reply to my email.
  • Also the last of the 4 messages, I ask them to confirm we're on track to complete in 4-6 weeks. The message was "Seen" but not responded to.
  • 11/27: Send them another message on IG to confirm they're on track (considering we were on week 4 or 5 at this point). Message was "Seen" but not responded to.
  • 11/28: I send them an email since my message was not responded to on IG. At this point, I'm fed up with no responses and request to cancel my order and for a refund to be issued. They replied in 8 minutes () and state that the order is still on the 4-6 week track while simultaneously saying they were going to ship out 2 weeks after the 6th week. () and gave me some poor excuse that cages are custom built and therefore, orders cannot be refunded. I reply back and let them know that it's delayed at that point and that I'd like my money back. They did not respond. They decided to play cute and go the "ignore" route.
  • Note: Make sure to ask for a refund if you go the chargeback route as it shows to your CC company that you asked for a refund and were denied.
  • 11/29: I call my CC company, explain the situation (have a lot of my money and refuse to refund even though it's projected to go past the deadline). They open a case and issue me a credit on my CC for the amount charged by SRSR.
  • Note: At this point SRSR has 90 days to respond to the case/dispute. If they don't respond, the case is closed and they have no way of getting my money back. At this point, I don't want to give them a chance to respond to the dispute so I don't inform them about it.
  • Note 2: I also request my CC number be changed so they aren't successful in charging me if they attempt to do that.
  • 12/20: They reach out to me letting me know there's a delay (surprise, surprise) due to COVID (that excuse gets old real quick) with the my order that they'd be done with it mid-late December. I let them know that I previously replied and wanted to cancel my order. No response from them.
  • 1/24: They reach out and let me know that there is another delay due to COVID and that it will be shipped out mid to late February. At this point, I do not respond. I'm getting close to the 90 day chargeback period.
  • 2/6: They reach out to let me know that the cage will be shipped out in two weeks. I reply and let them know that I have cancelled my order and changed my CC info. I also, let them know if they ship it to me, I will not be responsible for arranging or paying for return shipment. No response from them.
  • 2/28: My chargeback case is now closed and I send them an email letting them know about the chargeback. I also inform them my CC details have changed and I will not be responsible for return shipment. No response from them.
  • 2/28: (in a separate email), they send me a note that the cage will be going to powdercoating in 3 weeks. At this point, I get on the phone with them (sales), and clearly explain the situation. They acknowledge the order is now cancelled. That's not enough for me, I want it in writing. I reply back to the email and let them know that I just spoke on the phone with their agent and ask not to be contacted again. They actually reply this time but this is the extent of their reply..."noted".

3 weeks out from 2/28 would have been 3/18. So assuming they would have finished it and shipped it on 3/18 (which I very highly doubt), their total lead manufacture time, would have been roughly 20 weeks (or 5 months). This is somebody I would personally never do business with again no matter how good the price they offer or how nice they make it appear in photos. I you want any more info, please feel free to reach out to me.

I encourage you to call your supplier for any custom parts (e.g. cages, coilovers, etc) and ask what their lead time is. Also put pressure on them and hold them accountable when they're even one day late without reaching out to you to let you know. A free market is a beautiful thing.

Last edited by Ex-M2 Owner; 05-05-2021 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #73
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
My credit card company was helpful with Studio RSR too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-M2 Owner View Post
I think it's been said a couple of times here already but I'd just like to reiterate. If you order from Studio RSR, you will get ghosted and the experience will be an absolute headache. I'm the type of person that doesn't take any type of s*#t when it comes to other people holding onto my money and communicating with me or even following up in a timely manner when I send a response. I ended up going the chargeback route with my credit card company. I cannot stress enough, if you do chose to go with them, pay via a credit card instead of a debit card. I wish I saw some of the reviews prior to ordering. Here's my high-level timeline:
  • 10/28: Exchange 48 messages in the span of 4 hours. This is the day that I inquired about the cage and when I ended up placing my deposit. (they require 50% up front). They gave me a lead time of 4-6 weeks. [via IG]
  • 11/1: I reach out to them to see if the roll cage fits the M2C because I was thinking about trading into that car. Exchanged 6 messages in an hour and a half. [via IG]
  • 11/18: Because I like to be kept in the loop, I reached out to them (1 message) to make sure we're still on track for 4-6 weeks and to give them the color code that I ended up going with for the powder coating. No response. [via IG]
  • 11/19: After 24 hours from when I sent the IG message the day before, I email them with my color choice.
  • I follow up with them on IG letting them know that I replied to their message. 4 messages exchanged in an hour and a half. No reply to my email.
  • Also the last of the 4 messages, I ask them to confirm we're on track to complete in 4-6 weeks. The message was "Seen" but not responded to.
  • 11/27: Send them another message on IG to confirm they're on track (considering we were on week 4 or 5 at this point). Message was "Seen" but not responded to.
  • 11/28: I send them an email since my message was not responded to on IG. At this point, I'm fed up with no responses and request to cancel my order and for a refund to be issued. They replied in 8 minutes () and state that the order is still on the 4-6 week track while simultaneously saying they were going to ship out 2 weeks after the 6th week. () and gave me some poor excuse that cages are custom built and therefore, orders cannot be refunded. I reply back and let them know that it's delayed at that point and that I'd like my money back. They did not respond. They decided to play cute and go the "ignore" route.
  • Note: Make sure to ask for a refund if you go the chargeback route as it shows to your CC company that you asked for a refund and were denied.
  • 11/29: I call my CC company, explain the situation (have a lot of my money and refuse to refund even though it's projected to go past the deadline). They open a case and issue me a credit on my CC for the amount charged by SRSR.
  • Note: At this point SRSR has 90 days to respond to the case/dispute. If they don't respond, the case is closed and they have no way of getting my money back. At this point, I don't want to give them a chance to respond to the dispute so I don't inform them about it.
  • Note 2: I also request my CC number be changed so they aren't successful in charging me if they attempt to do that.
  • 12/20: They reach out to me letting me know there's a delay (surprise, surprise) due to COVID (that excuse gets old real quick) with the my order that they'd be done with it mid-late December. I let them know that I previously replied and wanted to cancel my order. No response from them.
  • 1/24: They reach out and let me know that there is another delay due to COVID and that it will be shipped out mid to late January. At this point, I do not respond. I'm getting close to the 90 day chargeback period.
  • 2/6: They reach out to let me know that the cage will be shipped out in two weeks. I reply and let them know that I have cancelled my order and changed my CC info. I also, let them know if they ship it to me, I will not be responsible for arranging or paying for return shipment. No response from them.
  • 2/28: My chargeback case is now closed and I send them an email letting them know about the chargeback. I also inform them my CC details have changed and I will not be responsible for return shipment. No response from them.
  • 2/28: (in a separate email), they send me a note that the cage will be going to powdercoating in 3 weeks. At this point, I get on the phone with them (sales), and clearly explain the situation. They acknowledge the order is now cancelled. That's not enough for me, I want it in writing. I reply back to the email and let them know that I just spoke on the phone with their agent and ask not to be contacted again. They actually reply this time but this is the extent of their reply..."noted".

3 weeks out from 1/28 would have been 2/18. So assuming they would have finished it and shipped it on 2/18 (which I very highly doubt), their total lead manufacture time, would have been roughly 20 weeks (or 5 months). This is somebody I would personally never do business with again no matter how good the price they offer or how nice they make it appear in photos. I you have any more info, please feel free to reach out to me.

I encourage you to call your supplier for any custom parts (e.g. cages, coilovers, etc) and ask what their lead time is. Also put pressure on them and hold them accountable when they're even one day late without reaching out to you to let you know. A free market is a beautiful thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #74
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-M2 Owner View Post
  • 1/24: They reach out and let me know that there is another delay due to COVID and that it will be shipped out mid to late February. At this point, I do not respond. I'm getting close to the 90 day chargeback period.

3 weeks out from 2/28 would have been 3/18. So assuming they would have finished it and shipped it on 3/18 (which I very highly doubt), their total lead manufacture time, would have been roughly 20 weeks (or 5 months). This is somebody I would personally never do business with again no matter how good the price they offer or how nice they make it appear in photos. I you want any more info, please feel free to reach out to me.

It's a bait and switch plain and simple. They do it every time.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #75
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep

CMS half cage w/Cobra Nagaro seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #76
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarnigle View Post
The CMS bars look great.

Did they weld in plates, or just drill and sandwich?
Bumping for those with the bar installed!

Also where is drilling required?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 02:22 PM   #77
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm also looking at rollbars at the moment. CMS looks great but doesn't look completely safe. Would love to have a friendly discussion over roll bars. From the photos, shouldn't the one piece tube be the one that goes diagonal from bottom left to top of driver's head and not the center horizontal tube?

Fall-line rear mount doesn't look right either. Seems like a combination of these different roll bars would be best. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #78
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by competition View Post
Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm also looking at rollbars at the moment. CMS looks great but doesn't look completely safe. Would love to have a friendly discussion over roll bars. From the photos, shouldn't the one piece tube be the one that goes diagonal from bottom left to top of driver's head and not the center horizontal tube?

Fall-line rear mount doesn't look right either. Seems like a combination of these different roll bars would be best. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
My good friend and local Austinite did the bar in my car. His shop is Walker Pro Motorsports and they do excellent fab and cage work.

Here's my car in his IG.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CaYWhb8s_-h/

Edit: not sure why that doesn't automatically unfurl... sorry about that.

Last edited by M1500Z; 03-13-2022 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 09:18 PM   #79
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by competition View Post

They use a higher strength tube in the cms version. It's actually the best if it's not a dedicated track car so it doesn't limited your visibility.

CMS uses only advanced Docol R8 Advanced High-Strength Steel tubing throughout each roll bar, giving you unequalled tensile strength and occupant protection. Docol R8 is 15% stronger than 4130 CrMo steel and 30% stronger than mild (DOM) steel used in other bolt-in roll bars. It is superior in every way: resistance to deformation, weld strength, and energy dissipation.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      03-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #80
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
They use a higher strength tube in the cms version. It's actually the best if it's not a dedicated track car so it doesn't limited your visibility.

CMS uses only advanced Docol R8 Advanced High-Strength Steel tubing throughout each roll bar, giving you unequalled tensile strength and occupant protection. Docol R8 is 15% stronger than 4130 CrMo steel and 30% stronger than mild (DOM) steel used in other bolt-in roll bars. It is superior in every way: resistance to deformation, weld strength, and energy dissipation.
Docol R8 is good stuff - besides the physical properties it is also much friendlier to work with - welding in particular. I brought in about 3000' of it in the last shipment - all we use now on our cages, racks, bars, etc. And agree - I prefer the design that offers unobstructed visibility.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50
      03-17-2022, 10:13 AM   #81
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Docol R8 is good stuff - besides the physical properties it is also much friendlier to work with - welding in particular. I brought in about 3000' of it in the last shipment - all we use now on our cages, racks, bars, etc. And agree - I prefer the design that offers unobstructed visibility.
I may be missing something, but I haven't seen anything lately about your half cage.
Have you progressed from the prototype stage to manufacturing?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      03-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #82
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I may be missing something, but I haven't seen anything lately about your half cage.
Yes we are in production now. Haven't really publicized it much yet while I'm waiting on our photographer to be able to get some good pics of it and we are able to get fully back into our shop so I can hire another couple of fabricators. But we are currently cranking out orders - I'll shoot you a PM with details.
Appreciate 1
Rumbloki176.00
      03-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #83
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Yes we are in production now. Haven't really publicized it much yet while I'm waiting on our photographer to be able to get some good pics of it and we are able to get fully back into our shop so I can hire another couple of fabricators. But we are currently cranking out orders - I'll shoot you a PM with details.
I'd buy one of yours if I didn't have the cms already in :|
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      03-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #84
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
I'd buy one of yours if I didn't have the cms already in :|
That's ok - just make sure that when you are ready for a full cage you send it my way
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #85
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thought I’d share a review of my new half cage courtesy of our very own forum member Jason at OG Shark Motorsport. Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with the cage. Customer service was very transparent throughout the whole process; conversation responses were always prompt and detailed. Had my cage finished in a raw clear coat. I think it turned out great.

The shop I had install the cage complimented the construction of the cage and ease of installation. As my shop installs multiple cages for various bmw platforms, I thought this was a very reassuring compliment.

As the car sits now, there is no seat cushion or seat back cushion. This was to be expected. The only modification I had to do for interior pieces that I retained were to the black carpeted panel that surrounds the shock tower in the back of the car. Essentially made a cutout so those pieces would fit nicely around the cross bar and mounting plate. Might be easier to understand from the pictures.

Attached Images

Last edited by booya_45; 05-31-2022 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Picture fail
Appreciate 3
OG Shark4692.50
      05-30-2022, 06:09 PM   #86
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
booya_45 Nice!!! That raw look and fitment looks great. Cant wait for mine now!

Spacing looks good too. Happy that this one doesnt bolt into the floor or seat bolts taking up extra space.

Ill prob take it to a local shop to make a floor cover out of carpet that I can remove when on the track.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      05-31-2022, 07:23 AM   #87
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booya_45 View Post
Thought I’d share a review of my new half cage courtesy of our very own forum member Jason at OG Shark Motorsport. Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with the cage. Customer service was very transparent throughout the whole process; conversation responses were always prompt and detailed. Had my cage finished in a raw clear coat. I think it turned out great.

The shop I had install the cage complimented the construction of the cage and ease of installation. As my shop installs multiple cages for various bmw platforms, I thought this was a very reassuring compliment.

As the car sits now, there is no seat cushion or seat back cushion. This was to be expected. The only modification I had to for interior pieces that I retained were to the black carpeted panel that surrounds the shock tower in the back of the car. Essentially made a cutout so the those pieces would fit nicely around the cross bar and mounting plate. Might be easier to understand from the pictures.
Agh you had to include the pic that shows the disaster zone my shop still is after the renovations

Awesome to hear that your shop complimented the build quality. I passed that along to the fabricator that built your cage - he definitely appreciated the positive feedback of his work.

Also glad you are happy with the finish! Thinking of going this route for the cage on my upcoming F82 race build - good idea you had there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
booya_45 Nice!!! That raw look and fitment looks great. Cant wait for mine now!

Spacing looks good too. Happy that this one doesnt bolt into the floor or seat bolts taking up extra space.

Ill prob take it to a local shop to make a floor cover out of carpet that I can remove when on the track.
Gloss black ought to look pretty awesome too. Now just to get it to the other side of the world without getting all beat to crap

I have been working on a close out kit as well to clean up the aesthetics a bit. Lagging a bit behind the cages still but definitely in the works. Hoping to have it available within a couple of months. The minimal amount of carpet cutting needed still keeps the interior pretty clean without it but I still like the look of a kit that makes everything look like this was how it came from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:53 AM   #88
OG Shark
Rep

We are starting fabrication on a round of M2 half cage orders if anyone is interested in getting in on it. We can add it to the queue right now to minimize the lead time. PM me if interested & would like more details!
Appreciate 0