BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Late to the party!

02-04-2023, 11:31 PM   #23
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Not the OP here, but that’s the QuickJack system he is using - if you’re somewhat mechanically inclined, it’s one of the best investments you can do for your garage! I simply love mine…
Can attest, also have a QJ - 5000TL here, and it's great.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      02-05-2023, 10:17 AM   #24
Adi_D
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I did want to mention another fun experience I had recently. Based on Bimmerpost research I found the bimmer-remote coding services. At first I ended up purchasing the full screen apple car play and 2022 map update, which was super easy and convenient to self-install; worked like a charm.

Then I realized that they also sell the CS tuning package, which I also purchased and installed via a remote session in 20 mins. I will say that I am VERY surprised by the difference the software alone made, as I had pretty low expectations. My experience so far:

1. Steering - it is about 15-20% lighter in all modes and much more direct (the slight slack in the middle is gone); of course the steering does not have more feel just faster response rate.
2. DSC - have not have a ton of opportunity to fully experience/try this, so will say it feels very comparable to M2C stock.
3. DCT - this was by far the biggest difference. The shifting is much faster/crisper and in Sport and Sport+ modes the downshifting results in very aggressive rev matching; really makes the car feel a lot more lively.

Overall, for the cost, it seems an incredible value. If I was to drive my car OEM vs tuned back to back, the latter would feel like a significantly more fun performance vehicle.

Again, very surprised, as I am used to Porsche tuning, which usually does not result in very much of a change; if anything it makes things worse.

Just wanted to share the experience and mention the excellent service provided.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      02-05-2023, 11:25 PM   #25
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_D View Post
I did want to mention another fun experience I had recently. Based on Bimmerpost research I found the bimmer-remote coding services. At first I ended up purchasing the full screen apple car play and 2022 map update, which was super easy and convenient to self-install; worked like a charm.

Then I realized that they also sell the CS tuning package, which I also purchased and installed via a remote session in 20 mins. I will say that I am VERY surprised by the difference the software alone made, as I had pretty low expectations. My experience so far:

1. Steering - it is about 15-20% lighter in all modes and much more direct (the slight slack in the middle is gone); of course the steering does not have more feel just faster response rate.
2. DSC - have not have a ton of opportunity to fully experience/try this, so will say it feels very comparable to M2C stock.
3. DCT - this was by far the biggest difference. The shifting is much faster/crisper and in Sport and Sport+ modes the downshifting results in very aggressive rev matching; really makes the car feel a lot more lively.

Overall, for the cost, it seems an incredible value. If I was to drive my car OEM vs tuned back to back, the latter would feel like a significantly more fun performance vehicle.

Again, very surprised, as I am used to Porsche tuning, which usually does not result in very much of a change; if anything it makes things worse.

Just wanted to share the experience and mention the excellent service provided.
M2C and CS have the same steering coding setting. Not sure what they changed it to, but it's not the CS version if it feels different.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:52 AM   #26
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_D View Post
This interests me but I wonder if it would increase SCH risk...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:53 PM   #27
AllEyesOnMe
TeQuiero
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Car looks sexy on the QuickJacks! I put a set of jackstands right underneath mine *just in case* haha -- I'm paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 07:32 AM   #28
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe View Post
Car looks sexy on the QuickJacks! I put a set of jackstands right underneath mine *just in case* haha — I'm paranoid.
Amen brother- when it comes to safety, double and triple checking is on point, no one needs a Darwin Award !

I got one of those ‘flat top’ jack stands and placed them underneath the quickjacks (think brand is Esco from Amazon).

Edit: maybe over the top, but my family loves and thanks me for it. I will also add a regular jack stand (opposite side to even out the load) if I happen to be underneath for extended periods…if QuickJacks fail, its frame will/should hit the stands first.
Attached Images

02-09-2023, 07:12 PM   #29
Adi_D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
M2C and CS have the same steering coding setting. Not sure what they changed it to, but it's not the CS version if it feels different.
That may very well be true...at the end of the day no way to know as it is a random internet dude uploading software remotely Unless I can see and compare the code no way to know. I suppose I view it as the "CS Package" from that vendor - fells great though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe View Post
Car looks sexy on the QuickJacks! I put a set of jackstands right underneath mine *just in case* haha -- I'm paranoid.
I am with you...if I am working underneath the car I am paranoid as well and use jackstands. On the Cup car I use the Jackpoint jackstands. They are pricey but super solid. Can turn the car on, put in gear, get in and out and it does not budge.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 11:27 PM   #30
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Amen brother- when it comes to safety, double and triple checking is on point, no one needs a Darwin Award !

I got one of those ‘flat top’ jack stands and placed them underneath the quickjacks (think brand is Esco from Amazon).

Edit: maybe over the top, but my family loves and thanks me for it. I will also add a regular jack stand (opposite side to even out the load) if I happen to be underneath for extended periods…if QuickJacks fail, its frame will/should hit the stands first.
Which QuickJacks are those? I'm debating between the 5000TL and the 5000TLX. I'd like to know if the TLX fits the M2C as it would be useful on my Element and RDX (and would probably work sideways on my wife's Miata).

R.
      02-10-2023, 12:19 AM   #31
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Which QuickJacks are those? I'm debating between the 5000TL and the 5000TLX. I'd like to know if the TLX fits the M2C as it would be useful on my Element and RDX (and would probably work sideways on my wife's Miata).

R.
So I have the QuickJack 5000SLX model, which if I’m not mistaken, has been discontinued?. As is, it is perfect for the M2C!

However, it’s too short for my Camry and Lexus ES, so had to purchase extension frames which are placed on top of SLX, thus extending the lift points for cars of longer wheelbase.

Now, re: your Q…

Straight up facts. The 5000TL has a shorter frame and lift spread by 6” (that’s what she said ) vs the 5000TLX. Both seem capable of lifting same weight (5k lbs) and at the same height (24”)

Specifically,

5000TL - frame length 70”, lift points spread 60” (max) and min 37”.

5000TLX - frame length 76”, lift points are max 66” apart and min 43”

Source:
https://www.quickjack.com/compare/

Gibberish info:
Seems the TLX is better suited for the ‘other cars’, and that should work w/o need for extension frames but don’t know if it’s too long for the M2C’s wheelbase (can’t recall M2C lift points spread) or even the Miata (does Miata use pinch welds as lift points like most Japanese cars?)

As you know, the crazy thing about lifting BMWs is that the lift points are preset/immobile vs most other ‘regular’ autos and that is your limiting factor in deciding which QJ to purchase (those pesky and fixed rectangular jackpads eh?). With my Camry/Lexus, I have a longer lifting area (pinch welds are much longer than the BMW jackpads so I can place the lift blocs pretty much anywhere in the designated lift area).

Unsolicited advice: measure the lift points spread across all of your vehicles and identify the shortest and longest one and compare with the length data posted above.

Alternatively, reach out to QJ - they have awesome CS service…
      02-22-2023, 05:03 PM   #32
Adi_D
Rep

Well, after thinking through it, settled for the "safe" route and ordered the MPS, as it seems to be the least harsh option in terms of spring rate increase. I am simply expecting better damping overall. I also ended up purchasing the Vorshlag camber plate, Fall-Line rear toe links and front and rear sway bar links. This should allow me to setup the alignment appropriately without introducing too much harshness, as it is a daily driver.

Parts are being installed and setup next week. Let's see how it goes!

Name:  Suspension.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  359.8 KB

I may end up installing the Akrapovic rear muffler at the same time, so let's see...
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2023, 05:25 PM   #33
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
OP - wasting zero time eh???

Sweet goodies - Merry Christmas, should improve the enjoyment of your M2C tenfold!
      02-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #34
Adi_D
Rep

Quote:
OP - wasting zero time eh???

Sweet goodies - Merry Christmas, should improve the enjoyment of your M2C tenfold!
Yeah, I learned my lesson on my previous cars...if you want to mod, might as well do it right away to fully enjoy the car. Otherwise time goes by and you move on. So far only disappointing thing on the car has been the suspension, so really look forward to that upgrade. Rest of the upgrade were completely optional

Install happening next Thursday followed by a long drive on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 08:26 PM   #35
Adi_D
Rep

Ok, here in the Carolinas all businesses operate on their own time, so the install of the suspension and exhaust took way longer than expected...at least it was all done properly.

The MPS worked out perfectly and as expected...it is essentially 10-20% stiffer spring rate than stock but with far superior dampening, so the car feels much more buttoned down. Really the car should have arrived stock with this suspension. The Vorschlag camber plates make zero noise, so that is nice as well. The suspension was setup to OEM recommendations with 600 front and 600 rear ride height (I know OEM is 595 front) and I went with a street friendly -2.5 front and -2 rear camber and zero toe all around. The compression and rebound settings were also left at default.

The Akrapovic exhaust, as expected, is of beautiful quality and the look is much more enhanced by getting rid of that rear "bladder" look. The sound is louder than stock, so noticeable change, but in reality this engine just does not sound that great - it's a lot more noise rather than an exciting sound; granted I am comparing it to the 3.8l Mezger engine. At least my wife is juvenile enough to like the pops and bangs on overrev.

I had a chance to take the car out for a 5 hour drive through the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge highway.

Name:  Front1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  874.6 KB

Name:  side1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  658.8 KB

Name:  front2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  513.5 KB

The car is overall a blast to drive. Once you get some heat into the tires the traction is not as bad, and with the suspension it is very compliant, although it could be much stiffer to improve body weight transition from side to side (swaybars would do it too I suppose). The brakes are pretty amazing overall, almost too much for the PSS tires and I could tell that the pads/fluid were already suffering even just being driven hard on the road. As many have said I will need to change that for the track. The steering is accurate but the feel is very much sub par compared to the Boxster GTS and of course the GT3.

All in all very happy with the car as setup for now. It works for my daily commute, is comfortable enough for the kids and can produce great moments of fun!

The mods are done for now, and next up will be a track day at the Carolina Motorsports Park to see how it really feels at speed.

Good times!
Appreciate 5
flybigjet6822.00
happyjack1657.00
NWest549.50
KevinM2935.50
      03-15-2024, 11:34 AM   #36
Adi_D
Rep

It has now been a full year of driving the M2 as a daily and it has been such a pleasure; it has slowly become one of my 5 favorite cars I have ever owned. The MPS made it a perfect daily companion.

Last year I was able to take it to Carolina Motorsports Park for a track weekend and experience it in a different setting. This was my first time at this track on the Super Sport tires and the best laptime was a 1:47.8, pretty consistently driving in the 1:48 range. I changed the MPS settings to "stiff" based on BMW recommendations, but the car was a handful to drive due to the low traction of the tires. It was "fun" to try the control the car but also an exercise in frustration as it was just "slow" due to low grip.

This March I was able to go to another track day and made a few upgrades:
- Purchased 19" Apex wheels and mounted Yoko A052 tires in 255/275 sizes
- Added Girodisc rotors to go with the DS1.11 pads
- Stiffened the suspension further

The car felt much better and my best time of the day was a 1:43.9 with consistent low 1:44 lap times - a significant improvement from before. I drove it without TC or any nannies which further enhanced the feel/balance of the car. With another day I could probably achieve a low 1:43 or maybe a high 1:42. However, I think for a daily commuter it is as far as I will push it. Overall is an amazing vehicle and value at this price range.

Next up, I am coaching my wife in her Boxster GTS 4.0. The car will have new Cup2 tires so will try and set a reference lap. I am expecting it to achieve a 1:42 lap at CMP. Let's see how it goes...

Hopefully in May i will be able to take out the 997 Cup, which should be in the low 1:30s there.

A few pictures to go with the story...

Old brakes.
Name:  Old_Brakes.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  230.9 KB

Heat shields removed.
Name:  Shield.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  215.4 KB

Install complete.
Name:  new setup.jpg
Size:  233.5 KB

New tires are tight fit, but great grip!
Name:  new_tires.jpg
Size:  243.7 KB

A few on track shots.
Name:  image000002.jpg
Size:  224.1 KB
Name:  A9_08696.jpg
Size:  377.8 KB
Name:  A9_06935.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  178.0 KB
Name:  track_back.jpg
Size:  228.7 KB

Post track cleaning, like it never even happened.
Name:  IMG_9886.jpg
Size:  524.7 KB
Name:  interior.jpg
Size:  232.2 KB

The only remaining upgrades I am considering would be a mid-pipe to make the exhaust a bit louder, but for a daily driver it is just about perfect as-is for now.
Appreciate 3
Distinct147.00
NWest549.50