BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 5 days 4 tires

11-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
Moloc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

5 days 4 tires

Picked the car up the in the spring, and this past week went to put the winter tires on it. Looks like someone over tightened all the lug nuts on the car - potentially at the factory since these tires may have never even come off before.

Thanks to BMW's lug nut key design we ended up going through 4 sets of lug keys and an extractor over the course of five days before finally getting this thing out using heat, impact guns, etc. The rim was saved and is in perfect condition too (metal shavings around the hole, not scratches in the second picture).

Funny enough the dealer mentioned a bunch of people were going through the 31 style lug keys. This is why I don't let other people do my tires.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 06:27 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Wow. Hard to believe this would happen at the factory - you'd think those fancy gizmos that screw in all 5 lug nuts at once would be dialed in for the proper torque result. Bad batch of nuts maybe? Some bean counter probably switched suppliers to some 3rd world outfit to save a nickel.
      11-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #3
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

No way this was done at the factory. Just because wheels had not come off the car does not mean the shop had not taken them off or check them. I bet when you took car for service they either took them out to check something or just went to check if they were properly torqued and over torqued.

But yeah last time before a track day I went to change my wheels to track wheels and almost rounded one of the lugs, dealer went ham fisted on a couple of the wheels. Now I always check the wheel torque after coming back from the shop just in case.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #4
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Yep, this happened on my sister's X1, where the lug key sheared from being overtightened by another shop. Just went to an extractor straight after that and the lug bolt was replaced with just a standard hex after that.