BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Daily driving impression/surprises after 2 weeks of ownership

04-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #45
PigPen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

One month of ownership here.
  • I really like this car. Super fun and somewhat practical. My previous favorite was a RX-8, but this one is already better.
  • Nobody notices me at all, which is awesome. I did wake up someone that was threatening to rear end me while staring at their phone with a small rev.
  • The gas tank IS tiny: lots of trips to the station even though I'm up to around 19.5 MPG (up from 12.5 when new).
  • I have a Civic with more substantial sun visors. I don't really care, though. The interior is good enough.
  • The door clearance over obstacles like curbs is really good. The leverage issues discussed in this forum are there, so I warn passengers.
  • The Michelins and suspension are surprisingly good in cold, wet conditions.
  • Certain low speed conditions require lots of clutch usage/modulation in order to avoid slight chatter/bucking. Not a big deal but different from other cars I have had.
  • Shifting smoothly is more difficult than any other manual I have driven. Short shifting in 1st is helping, but clutch stops and/or the UCP is in my near future.
  • I'm pretty sure the ASD bypass harness is in my future as well. The ASD drone is annoying.
  • I have a few nagging issues I hope to clear up when I drop the car off for break in service:
    1. Starting the ignition without starting the engine (MT, one press without any pedals engaged) sometimes doesn't light the gauge cluster.
    2. Starting the engine while in reverse causes the backup chime to beep until the car is shut off.
    3. Auto-blip is weird. Maybe I've figured it out. Go sequentially, don't pause in neutral, and it sucks in Comfort mode? Sometimes it works when not following that formula, but sometimes it does not.
    4. Possible issue with driver's seat memory. Still playing with that one. Solution may be to not to let anyone else drive it.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to driving it! At 2018 prices, it's a bargain even if there is the Competition/S55/whatever is coming out soon. The car:money ratio is good.

Last edited by PigPen; 04-04-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
DanG10734.50
      04-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #46
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
I am glad that you like your purchase. I think my M2 is the best car that I have ever owned. Beats my E46 M3 and M235i hands down.

I don’t have any of your nagging issues. Probably because I have DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #47
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

<800 miles on my 2-week old car, and I've set a new personal record! I've taken several direct gravel hits to the windshield so far, and today while washing the car, I noticed an 8" crack! New windshield time, and under 1000 miles on the car!

Certain times of the year, it's open season on windshields where I drive. I'm averaging about 1 new windshield per year in southern Idaho. Long ago I decided that I needed to have "full glass coverage" on my cars, with no deductible, which is surprisingly cheap considering the real risk. My insurance company uses Safelite to handle their glass claims, and Safelite does everything they possibly can to talk you out of getting OEM glass installed at the dealership, but I just tell them to go to hell. In the end they reimburse me for the work done at the dealership. The lady tonight tried at least 5 times to tell me that their glass was just as good. Not buying it.
      04-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #48
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen View Post
One month of ownership here.
  • I really like this car. Super fun and somewhat practical. My previous favorite was a RX-8, but this one is already better.
  • Nobody notices me at all, which is awesome. I did wake up someone that was threatening to rear end me while staring at their phone with a small rev.
  • The gas tank IS tiny: lots of trips to the station even though I'm up to around 19.5 MPG (up from 12.5 when new).
  • I have a Civic with more substantial sun visors. I don't really care, though. The interior is good enough.
  • The door clearance over obstacles like curbs is really good. The leverage issues discussed in this forum are there, so I warn passengers.
  • The Michelins and suspension are surprisingly good in cold, wet conditions.
  • Certain low speed conditions require lots of clutch usage/modulation in order to avoid slight chatter/bucking. Not a big deal but different from other cars I have had.
  • Shifting smoothly is more difficult than any other manual I have driven. Short shifting in 1st is helping, but clutch stops and/or the UCP is in my near future.
  • I'm pretty sure the ASD bypass harness is in my future as well. The ASD drone is annoying.
  • I have a few nagging issues I hope to clear up when I drop the car off for break in service:
    1. Starting the ignition without starting the engine (MT, one press without any pedals engaged) sometimes doesn't light the gauge cluster.
    2. Starting the engine while in reverse causes the backup chime to beep until the car is shut off.
    3. Auto-blip is weird. Maybe I've figured it out. Go sequentially, don't pause in neutral, and it sucks in Comfort mode? Sometimes it works when not following that formula, but sometimes it does not.
    4. Possible issue with driver's seat memory. Still playing with that one. Solution may be to not to let anyone else drive it.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to driving it! At 2018 prices, it's a bargain even if there is the Competition/S55/whatever is coming out soon. The car:money ratio is good.

I think there can be seat memory issues if you are swapping between the two keys. I think each key basically gets it's own two profiles? Not totally sure, but I am sure someone knows. So driver seat setting #1 on key #1 can be different than driver seat setting #1 on key #2 maybe?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #49
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Met up with a friend of mine, who also got a new car about two weeks ago.

We decided to have dinner, and check out each others new wheels....

I think he won, but he was still impressed when I took him in a ride in my M2!

His car was AMAZING!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 12:19 AM   #50
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
Met up with a friend of mine, who also got a new car about two weeks ago.

We decided to have dinner, and check out each others new wheels....

I think he won, but he was still impressed when I took him in a ride in my M2!

His car was AMAZING!!!
Hide a locator beacon on his car and track how much time it spends in the shop; you will have the last laugh!
      04-05-2018, 01:13 AM   #51
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Hide a locator beacon on his car and track how much time it spends in the shop; you will have the last laugh!
He's actually a really nice, down to earth guy! He daily drives this ferrari!

He sold his 2015 corvette, and he has another Ferrari at home which he says he only drives about twice a month. He said it was more difficult to drive (I forget why), so he takes the 488 to work!

Hey, I wouldn't own one of these if I had the money! I'd be too nervous about getting a scratch on it, or having an accident! It was fun, however, driving around in someone else's 488!

He was pretty impressed with the M2! Asked alot of questions. He has a 20 year old that drives a BMW 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #52
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
He's actually a really nice, down to earth guy! He daily drives this ferrari!

He sold his 2015 corvette, and he has another Ferrari at home which he says he only drives about twice a month. He said it was more difficult to drive (I forget why), so he takes the 488 to work!

Hey, I wouldn't own one of these if I had the money! I'd be too nervous about getting a scratch on it, or having an accident! It was fun, however, driving around in someone else's 488!

He was pretty impressed with the M2! Asked alot of questions. He has a 20 year old that drives a BMW 4 series.
Sounds like an "entitled" child :-)