Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
A few things come to mind:

That's just off the top of my head. If the car is a "hanger queen", these might not apply but as a daily driver? I'd just keep the tow hook in the trunk and install when needed or for a driving event.

Just my 0.03.

R.
*hangar
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #46
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

11 months later.... It just looks cool
      01-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #47
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Recovery points should be ready to use at the track in case they are needed

If you have an off track excursion, you don't want to be fooling around inside or outside of your car or trunk (which may or may not be accessible) trying to install one afterwards

Furthermore, a lot of the groups that I run with require you to stay in the car (unless it's on fire) if you go off track and need a tow

I bought an extra factory tow hook so I can install them both front and rear before heading out on the track

The factory hook is inexpensive (around $25-$30), easy to install/remove, extremely strong and should last a very long time
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #48
21M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2, 20 Macan

Interesting! I live in San Francisco and have to park on the street. I'm Very careful of parking and never do the braille parking maneuver that is common and usually ends up trashing my bumpers. Is it legal to leave the factory hook on?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #49
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21M2 View Post
Interesting! I live in San Francisco and have to park on the street. I'm Very careful of parking and never do the braille parking maneuver that is common and usually ends up trashing my bumpers. Is it legal to leave the factory hook on?
It's technically illegal but you see tons of truck drivers leaving hitches on as well. I doubt you'll ever get a ticket and even if you do it would be a fix it ticket
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #50
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Rocking tow straps 24/7, 365 is for "Meat Sticks".
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #51
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
[QUOTE=2020M2Competition;27099043]Recovery points should be ready to use at the track in case they are needed

If you have an off track excursion, you don't want to be fooling around inside or outside of your car or trunk (which may or may not be accessible) trying to install one afterwards

Furthermore, a lot of the groups that I run with require you to stay in the car (unless it's on fire) if you go off track and need a tow

I've been off track 4x's in the last 30 years where I needed to be towed, or pulled back on to the track surface.

Every one of those I was able to get out of my car and attach the tow hook provided by BMW. The tow truck comes out after a run session is over, and when they arrive you can get out of your car and attach it. There is no reason to stay in the car when the track is "cold". Especially when the tow driver is also outside of their truck...

If needed I could also hand the tow hook to the driver to thread it in.

Attaching the tow hook before a day of HPDE, or a Time trial is fine, but not required.

Running a hook or strap on the street for cosmetic reasons is up to each owner.

I just think its a lame mod, even if you're a track driver. At least with a strap you won't crush the bumpers of the cars you parallel park between.

IMHO a tow strap is as bad as a big wing on a car for the same reason.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13117.00
Brandt51838.00
      01-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #52
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
A few things come to mind:

That's just off the top of my head. If the car is a "hanger queen", these might not apply but as a daily driver? I'd just keep the tow hook in the trunk and install when needed or for a driving event.

Just my 0.03.

R.
*hangar
Dude get over yourself
      01-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #53
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post

I've been off track 4x's in the last 30 years where I needed to be towed, or pulled back on to the track surface.

Every one of those I was able to get out of my car and attach the tow hook provided by BMW. The tow truck comes out after a run session is over, and when they arrive you can get out of your car and attach it. There is no reason to stay in the car when the track is "cold". Especially when the tow driver is also outside of their truck...

Attaching the tow hook before a day of HPDE, or a Time trial is fine, but not required.

I just think its a lame mod, even if you're a track driver. At least with a strap you won't crush the bumpers of the cars you parallel park between.

Trying to apply whatever track events you run vs anyone else is where you're missing here.

I can tell you for a fact that the BMWCCA events I run around here, require a tow hook be attached before you ever venture out onto the track.

I'm not sure why this is so controversial to be honest.

If the tracks/events you run do not require it to be attached, fine. But that same does not apply to every organization across the country.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #54
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Trying to apply whatever track events you run vs anyone else is where you're missing here.

I can tell you for a fact that the BMWCCA events I run around here, require a tow hook be attached before you ever venture out onto the track.

If the tracks/events you run do not require it to be attached, fine. But that same does not apply to every organization across the country.
Yes some Chapters require Tow hooks, but some don't. As I said before if your at a HPDE and you use a tow hook thats what its for.

As for on the street I'll wager that almost everyone who has a Tow hook/strap is not a frequent HPDE Driver, Club Racer, or Time Trial Driver.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #55
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post

[COLOR="Red"]Yes some Chapters require Tow hooks, but some don't. As I said before if your at a HPDE and you use a tow hook thats what its for.

As for on the street I'll wager that almost everyone who has a Tow hook/strap is not a frequent HPDE Driver, Club Racer, or Time Trial Driver. [/COLOR]
We're on the same page then.

I didn't realize people were advocating running them on the street I tend to LOL when I see that as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #56
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

I just bought a 2nd tow hook and hit them with some red paint for that 'faster' look

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1501785

I like living so I do not get out of my car when the track is hot. The tow hooks don't stay in all the time but I can't be bothered to care what someone else does with their car so long as it doesn't hurt me
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #57
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

[QUOTE=SEAT TIME RULES;27100512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
Recovery points should be ready to use at the track in case they are needed

Sounds like you've only ever gone to track events where they do not do hot tows.

Around here, hot tows are very common. That means the tow truck comes out in the middle of the session and tows you while other cars are on the track. I believe they just wave yellow flags 2 corners before the tow truck so you slow down around the tow area.

Likewise, getting out of your car on track while getting towed is an absolute no-no. The track marshals actually check to verify if you have a tow hook installed on your car before letting you onto the pit exit.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #58
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
As a national level scrutineer i can tell you that at state/national events in OZ you wont get on track without tow hooks attached & labelled along with a battery/isolator location label & extinguisher location label. Some low level club events may differ slightly.
Recovery options vary depending on the particular discipline, most track events if you have an off & cant continue you are told to signal if you are ok & stay in the car until it can be recovered, which will depend on your position on track.
Whereas tarmac rally events you or co driver are required to get out (if possible) & place warning triangles & OK signals plus you are gps tracked (via rallysafe) so organisers know if you stop somewhere mid stage.
As for tow straps on the street, it says 'tryhard' to me plus your needlessly making yourself a target for the authorities.
      01-11-2021, 04:15 AM   #59
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

I just haven’t been bothered to remove since my tow a a few weeks ago, kinda forgot about it. And given the unofficial law of preparedness, having a tow hook in place will decrease the likelihood of needing said tow. Hopefully. JUst kidding. It’ll come off when I have an extra few minutes in my work day which I haven’t had up to now. And have fun do whatever w your car, I might laugh and point at your trash can exhaust or 5 ft tall wing Or hot tub in your truck bed (secretly jealous), but it your parts don’t fall off, get me stuck in traffic when your hot tub pops a leak or you crash into me, it don’t make no difference to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:43 PM   #60
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
As a national level scrutineer i can tell you that at state/national events in OZ you wont get on track without tow hooks attached & labelled along with a battery/isolator location label & extinguisher location label. Some low level club events may differ slightly.
Recovery options vary depending on the particular discipline, most track events if you have an off & cant continue you are told to signal if you are ok & stay in the car until it can be recovered, which will depend on your position on track.
Whereas tarmac rally events you or co driver are required to get out (if possible) & place warning triangles & OK signals plus you are gps tracked (via rallysafe) so organisers know if you stop somewhere mid stage.
As for tow straps on the street, it says 'tryhard' to me plus your needlessly making yourself a target for the authorities.
Haven't tracked my M2C, but have with lots of older cars. Is the secondary bonnet restraint still required on M2 even though it has one inbuilt? Some scrutineers can be very special.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:55 PM   #61
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Haven't tracked my M2C, but have with lots of older cars. Is the secondary bonnet restraint still required on M2 even though it has one inbuilt? Some scrutineers can be very special.
Nope, hasnt done for last couple of seasons. Some scrutineers just don't keep up with regulations, especially at club level.
Davil6332.00
      01-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #62
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Surprised nobody freaked over the Roundel cover 'ricing up' our national image
Appreciate 1
Brandt51838.00
      01-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #63
Brandt51