BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > First Time at Autocross - Suggestions?

10-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Whiteywhiteboy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

First Time at Autocross - Suggestions?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I will be attending my first autocross event on the 26th (BMW CCA Octoberfast in San Diego). I have picked up the general dos and don'ts after reviewing a number of blog posts and articles on the subject.

However, I would love to hear any suggestions specific to the M2C or that would help a novice fit in.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

BMW CCA has probably the best autocross program for novices in the sense that you will not feel like an outsider, everyone will welcome you with open arms, and there really aren't any egos (this is in my personal experience). When they ask for novices to meet raise your hand and don't be ashamed (literally no one cares). You can have an instructor with you every drive the entire day, although many go solo in the afternoon because you pick it up so quickly.

Just listen to instructors, don't be a hero (you are a novice and it's okay to be one, don't try to be Senna because you'll just learn bad habits and not enjoy it), and have a good time!

Also, I would bring a lawn chair and a cooler for drinks. It's a long day out there.

After the day is over you'll realize that you were worried for nothing. I would know, I was just like you and read everything I could get my hands on re autocross.

Moving back to SD in November and looks forward to seeing you out there in the coming months.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
Whiteywhiteboy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
BMW CCA has probably the best autocross program for novices in the sense that you will not feel like an outsider, everyone will welcome you with open arms, and there really aren't any egos (this is in my personal experience). When they ask for novices to meet raise your hand and don't be ashamed (literally no one cares). You can have an instructor with you every drive the entire day, although many go solo in the afternoon because you pick it up so quickly.

Just listen to instructors, don't be a hero (you are a novice and it's okay to be one, don't try to be Senna because you'll just learn bad habits and not enjoy it), and have a good time!

Also, I would bring a lawn chair and a cooler for drinks. It's a long day out there.

After the day is over you'll realize that you were worried for nothing. I would know, I was just like you and read everything I could get my hands on re autocross.

Moving back to SD in November and looks forward to seeing you out there in the coming months.
Thank you, Scout! I will adhere to your advice.

I hope your EU trip was as fun as mine - I remember we had pre-trip discussions few months back.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      10-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Tire gauge, GoPro with a suction mount (very helpful for checking how close to he cones you are getting), lawn chair, drinks and snacks in case it's not provided or you don't like what they have.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 01:26 AM   #5
mattdev
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I cannot emphasize this enough: turn it to comfort mode. With the low speed and high Gs it gets way too jerky in sport+ and even sport and will make it a very uncomfortable experience. It may seem counter intuitive but trust me on this one. For context, here's a comparison of Sport and Sport+. I literally shaved 5 seconds off my time by turning it down.

MDM also works phenomenal in Autocross.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Does autocross count as "tracking your car" and void warranty? Was thinking of doing autocross in November in SD..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Does autocross count as "tracking your car" and void warranty? Was thinking of doing autocross in November in SD..
Technically yes it is "tracking" in that it's a competitive event on a closed course. However, I don't see how they would know that is what you are doing (as not on tracks but in parking lots so not an easy GPS history pull and point) and void your warranty unless you told them.

Also, likelihood of something covered under warranty (key phrase here, which means that any kind of brake wear or tire wear would not be covered under warranty) failing is probably not much higher than the same thing failing in an aggressive canyon run.

Point is, risk is extremely low of something wrong happening that would be covered under warranty, and if it does happen, the risk is extremely low that they would find out it was during an AutoX day and void it for tracking, unless, you know, you do something stupid and tell them.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Funny you recommend the comfort mode. I just recently did my first autocross and came to the same conclusion. I tried all the modes and found the comfort to be the fastest (even faster than MDM). With my smooth driving style I didn't really see a difference between comfort and MDM. The main advantage is in the throttle modulation.

I was the fastest of people on normal street tires. The only three faster cars were on semi-slicks.
Appreciate 1
mattdev51.50
      10-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
Slyphen
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
meet new people, relax and ask questions. If you are comfortable, let a seasoned AXer drive your car while you ride and see what the car is really capable of, and ride with other people in their cars!
Appreciate 1
mattdev51.50
      10-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #10
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I wouldn’t pursue it. Autocross is sort of like being an expert at beating someone to a parking space. Not sure what you call them in the US but supersprints are the one to go for. Timed laps without door to door racing. Just go in with the attitude that you are out to have fun and improve on your own times and technique and it is joyous and very safe. Never get competitive with others. It leads to a hole in your wallet and a crap car road car. I may know this from experience.
Appreciate 1
tokki203.50